• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your Vive will probably ship in the next day or so.
Unless you're both talking about the small authorisation charge.

There's £743 charge against my account, so hopefully that's the order going through. Other posters have commented though that they've returned fees previously prior to sending on a later date.

undecided

How fully charged are the controllers out of the box?

On my first boot up after receiving it today my second one won't pair or be detected unless it is plugged in to the computer via USB. While disconnected from USB it just sits with a blue light.

Sky Chief

How fully charged are the controllers out of the box?

On my first boot up after receiving it today my second one won't pair or be detected unless it is plugged in to the computer via USB. While disconnected from USB it just sits with a blue light.

The same thing happened to me, just had to update the firmware

Sky Chief

You have to pay for the virtual desktop? That's disappointing. Thought that would have been an included feature.

You can access your desktop through SteamVR for free but there's also a paid app called Virtual Desktop which has a bunch of additional functionality for VR such as playing back many kinds of 3D and 360 movie files

You can access your desktop through SteamVR for free but there's also a paid app called Virtual Desktop which has a bunch of additional functionality for VR such as playing back many kinds of 3D and 360 movie files

That's the functionality I assumed would be free. Oh well, one less game I can buy.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Can the Lighthouse controller position be read outside of VR? Wondering if there might be some potential as a high precision pointing device.
(e.g. map your monitor position using the controller, then the intersection point is determined)

Could also work in similar ways as the Steam controller.

CaLe

I just got charged (authorized ?) the full amount and I didn't receive any emails. If I check my order status it's currently at "Pending Engulfment".

I ordered April 4th and paid by CC.

Can't wait to jump on this and see what I can make in Unity / Unreal. Hello sleep deprivation :)

Animator

I just got charged (authorized ?) the full amount and I didn't receive any emails. If I check my order status it's currently at "Pending Engulfment".

I ordered April 4th and paid by CC.

Can't wait to jump on this and see what I can make in Unity / Unreal. Hello sleep deprivation :)

I didn't get any emails either. Just a charge from digital river out of nowhere.

tripleV

Received an email today from HTC. I guess they tried to charge my card but it never went through because the money was not there. I was in the May shipping bracket so I figured I would put it on when I received the pre-authorization email but never received it. It is getting sorted now but I just wanted to give a heads up to anyone else expecting a pre-auth email, because I never received mine--they went straight ahead and charged it.

Edit: Ordered March 28th, in case anyone is wondering.

CaLe

Wonder why people who ordered almost a month after me are getting charged before me. Is it just a luck thing?

This whole process has been a mess. They couldn't have done a worst job even if they tried.

On another note, I assume Dirt Rally and Project Cars are not working with the Vive ? I'm craving some VR racing games.

This whole process has been a mess. They couldn't have done a worst job even if they tried.

On another note, I assume Dirt Rally and Project Cars are not working with the Vive ? I'm craving some VR racing games.
Still seems marginally better that the rift.

Compsiox

Banned
OWstNEV.jpg

Damn.

CaLe

Still seems marginally better that the rift.

Oh God... Yes. Yikes, it's almost as if they are willingly sabotaging their launch. August shipment dates, can you imagine ! I have a hard time believing it's *that* more popular than the Vive or that their production pipeline is that much slower.

Lunar FC

That's the functionality I assumed would be free. Oh well, one less game I can buy.

That's what I thought as well. But it's really worth the 15 bones. Love watching some NBA playoffs in a movie theater.

Anybody know of any good stands I could rest my headset on?

Dex815

So far I have tried:

Tilt brush - this is a killer app if there ever was one. Your creativity goes bananas with this, even if you are not an artistic person.

Job Simulator - really fun. So far I just finished the restaurant cartridge but using all the stuff around you is intuitive and fun. And the puns are funny :)

Audioshield - also really fun, playing electronic music like daft punk, pendulum or the glitch mob keeps a nice fast rhythm. Other genres like metal suffer a little bit (specially the more lyrics it have), sometimes having to block when it doesn't fit much. But it is still fun for those if you like the music.

Holopoint - cannot opine much on this one, I only tried it for 10 minutes cause my GTX 770 doesn't seem to resist it, it kept losing frames while looking at the holograms. I can see how it can be really fun, but dodging those shoots from side to side and turning around requires lots of space. I have 2,3m x 3m and after dodging a few half of my attention was centered in keeping track of my chaperone, cause the dodges requires you to move mainly the head quite fast to the sides. I can see someone hitting a wall or furniture quite badly with this one.

Budget Cuts demo - quite fun too the portals feel natural and so does the interaction with the weapons and environment. Bad thing is that sometimes you can end up on a corner of the chaperone, moving with the portals and having to find a peaceful moment to recenter yourself to the middle of the room and teleport again to the point where you wanted to be in order to have space around. Which can also make you end up with a mess with the cable. Good-bad points also to the immersion, if with the previous one I feared for the chaperone in this one I hit a closet and a lamp (don't ask how) with the controller. Also by the end of the demo I felt a bit nauseous, probably because by the end you have to teleport more often and get through a section where you have to crawl/crouch.

H3 - it is awesome the level of detail that Anton included in the weapons, it is really fun just to mess around in the training range and the desert map. My card suffered with this one a bit also in the warehouse scene cause there are many models around, the other levels were fine. And the grenade mini game is super fun! My record was something like 126k points, I really want to try until I get every block down.

Theater mode - I had a quick look to the theater mode for videos, looks good, not much to add, it fulfills the function.

I still have to try Fantastic Contraption, IKEA (lol), Irrational Exuberance, The lab, Spell Fighter, Realities, Out of ammo, DCS and Elite (these last 2 probably won't work with my gpu).

DK2 didn't convince me much, and was a bit afraid about the quality of the Vive as a consumer version. But these games, the quality of the headset (SDE is practically not noticeable compared to DK2) and most importantly the tracking and room scale makes me think that VR definitively has a brilliant future ahead.

Zalusithix

Wonder why people who ordered almost a month after me are getting charged before me. Is it just a luck thing?

I just got the temp auth now despite reading about people earlier in the day getting one that ordered later. Different regions might be processing at different times, and there might be time lags between when it happens and when the financial institution reports it to the end user.

(March 8th order date)

wwm0nkey

Kind of random but since I am not getting a Vive until June, would someone mind testing out a really quick thing I just made? Want to see if this Vive Toolkit on Unity works the way I think it will because if so I can fully start on my escape the room game and have something ready by then.

It is not pretty by any means, but I just can not test it out myself. All you do is put a block on a wall and the wall in front of you is supposed to vanish.

taco543

For anyone wondering time frame wise, I got the pre order auth email yesterday, and got charged today (the next day) on my chase credit card. And I ordered on 2/29 at like 5 hours after pre order launch.

Got the pre authorization email this morning, called Bank of America to alert them to the impending charge, and 5 minutes ago got and email saying it was declined due to suspicious activity.

I'm heartbroken...what do I do now? Did I just get pushed to the end of the line?

Akronis

Got the pre authorization email this morning, called Bank of America to alert them to the impending charge, and 5 minutes ago got and email saying it was declined due to suspicious activity.

I'm heartbroken...what do I do now? Did I just get pushed to the end of the line?

No, HTC should attempt again and you won't lose your place in line. Call them to verify though.

taco543

I don't think so, I think they try again but call them back and be like: "hey yeah that charge you cancelled let it go through this time maybe."
Then chat with HTC and let them know that you cleared it up and hopefully it should go through quick

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Thanks guys. That was a tough email to get as I was leaving work, lol.

Now that it's failed, call the bank again and you can authorize that specific charge to go through next time. After that, call HTC and ask them to try the charge again - they have a tool they can use to retry it while you're on the phone.

Korezo

God!, I was charged and tried all day yesterday to find a damn way to cancel! Terrible ass store, I like how findyourorder never could find my order but htc store could but doesn't have a option to cancel, and my credit card saying they can't help unless its a fraud charge.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
God!, I was charged and tried all day yesterday to find a damn way to cancel! Terrible ass store, I like how findyourorder never could find my order but htc store could but doesn't have a option to cancel, and my credit card saying they can't help unless its a fraud charge.

I don't understand? Why did you decide the day it charged to cancel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom