• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crispy75

So long as your seated area is within the lighthouse bounds, you'll be fine.

I have this in mind:

PdcSkp3.png

Look about right?
Chaperone rectangle about 2.5x2. Maybe 2.5x2.5 if I shove the coffetable over.

Jams775

I have this in mind:

PdcSkp3.png

Look about right?

That could work but you might lose tracking since you're mostly away from both. Could you move the blue one down to the PC area and the orange one up to the top left corner? and have the blue one point to the top left and the orange to the bottom right?

I have this in mind:

PdcSkp3.png

Look about right?

Hmm. You might run into issues, to be honest. One lighthouse is at your back, and the other only has clear line of sight for the left side of your face. If you turn to the right, it might lose tracking.

Crispy75

That could work but you might lose tracking since you're mostly away from both. Could you move the blue one down to the PC area and the orange one up to the top left corner?

No problem, but is it going to be able to track me when I'm sitting right underneath it?
(Note: I'd happily turn to face the room while seated)

Kusagari

I just got a shipping confirmation for the Vive I ordered on March 29th.

My Oculus I ordered within 30 minutes of going up remains lost in June.

Akronis

VR is exhausting, y'all. I'm physically fit, but I was playing Budget Cuts yesterday, and man... I was ducking, dodging, heart racing whenever the robots spotted me.

Also, a quick anecdote on immersion: I was playing barefoot, and walking around in The Lab when I saw some sharp floor grating. I stopped in my tracks, and feared that I would hurt myself if I stepped on it.

Fucking tell me about it.

I loaded into Universe Sandbox 2, had an existential crisis, and closed out of it 10 seconds later

;________;

deadfolk

This is the thing I'm unsure about right now.

Surely you want your desk to be outside your bounds to avoid walking into it. Which means when seated, your head will be very close to your bounds and the chaperone will constantly be appearing.

Or do seated games somehow disable the chaperone?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Surely you want your desk to be outside your bounds to avoid walking into it. Which means when seated, your head will be very close to your bounds and the chaperone will constantly be appearing.

You can also sit outside of the room-scale are. I do that, I sit on the couch when playing seated. You can also set the chaperone on the developer mode if you're too close to the bounds.

SimplexPL

Congrats! What country? What was your shipping month in order detail?

In EU I ordered on March 20th, shipping month is May, money got reserved on the CC on April 25th and my order status is still "in process". HTC phone support told me everything is good with the order (i.e no payment issues) and I should just patiently wait for developments. Like I could do that.

Did anyone in Europe who ordered after March 20th already got his?

GameSeeker

I have this in mind:

PdcSkp3.png

Look about right?

I would suggest putting one lighthouse in the same corner as the PC and the other in the opposite corner.

Your original concept may work too if you move the orange lighthouse further towards the bottom wall. Try it out. In my experience, the lighthouses give pretty robust tracking even in odd-ball positions.

Zalusithix

No problem, but is it going to be able to track me when I'm sitting right underneath it?
If you face the play area, you should be fine. Facing the desk might be iffy when your head looks towards the wall.

I don't mean the chaperone bounds which are artificial limitations. I mean the physical reaches of the lighthouse. They can be the same thing, but often aren't. If you're not being scanned by them, then you're not being tracked, regardless of chaperone bounds.

Crispy75

Thanks for the advice. Yes, opposite corners is the obvious solution :)
Looks like I'll be rigging the breakout box up on the mantelpiece somehow...

Now for my next challenge: Convincing my wife that £1,000 on a vive and a new graphics card is money well spent :D

Jams775

I think it tracks 120 degrees vertical as well as horizontal (please somebody correct that if wrong).

So you'll need to angle it like 30 to 45 degrees which it tells you to do in the instructions anyways. I'd say you should be good with that. It could help if you set the height above 1.9m to 2.1m (like 6 1/2 ft to 7 ft).

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog

I don't get it. I ordered March 28 with paypal and i've gotten nothing. They already have my money...

Why would he lose tracking unless he left arm of the couch is in the way really down low he would be fine.

Depends on how he is sitting. If he sits facing his monitor then each time he turns right the headset will lose sight of the base station and lose tracking. However, if he is in fact facing towards the base stations then he should be okay. Obviously we won't know for sure without trying but my comment is based on the assumption that we will sit facing his monitor.

Thanks for the advice. Yes, opposite corners is the obvious solution :)
Looks like I'll be rigging the breakout box up on the mantelpiece somehow...

Now for my next challenge: Convincing my wife that £1,000 on a vive and a new graphics card is money well spent :D

Include her in your VR/gaming sessions and you won't have to do any convincing.

Arse. Standing room only then :/
Well if you don't mind spending abit more money you don't actually need to be seated at your desk to play seated games. Get a wireless keyboard and mouse and a small laptop desk and you can sit in the middle your play space and never worry about losing tracking.

spekkeh

Banned
So I wanted to see if it ran on my old as fuck pc, as long as I updated my graphics card to a new one. Only turned out the card I ordered was too long for my case (...) so while that's being returned for a smaller one, I figured I'm still going to try it out.

Here's my hilariously underspecced pc:

AMD phenom II x4 955 (close to eight years old)
8 GB of RAM (ddr2 I wouldn't be surprised)
AMD HD 7870

And you know what, the tutorial actually runs pretty well. I think the res is a bit lower and there's an ever so slight stutter in the tracking, but apart from that it's the real deal. You'd mistake it for a new top of the line pc. Amazing how well it scales.

Of course loading up other apps is decidedly less comfortable but still, as an introduction for others to room scale, pretty serviceable.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Actually you should be ok if Iu can at least see a lighthouse: I was trying out virtual desktop and my PC is outside of my tracked area, but when I sat in my desk chair it was fine.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just an update for anyone wondering if HTC replace over stuck/dead pixels, I've just heard back (with Julia pushing my end) that mine is regarded as faulty with 1 blue stuck pixel, and they'll send me a new headset tomorrow, which is a Saturday, but we'll see.

Did you send yours off or are they swapping in situ? I expect/ hope three stuck green pixels would qualify too which is what I have

deadfolk

I don't mean the chaperone bounds which are artificial limitations. I mean the physical reaches of the lighthouse. They can be the same thing, but often aren't. If you're not being scanned by them, then you're not being tracked, regardless of chaperone bounds.

Yeah, I know. I probably didn't explain myself properly.

Imagine a square room with the lighthouses in opposing corners and a desk along one wall. Your chaperone bounds will be a rectangle which begins in front of the desk, but includes the remainder of the room.

If you sit at the desk, you're at the very edges of the chaperone bounds. You will track fine, but the chaperone lines will show up constantly unless you manually disable them with developer mode.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I should receive my Vive by May, 10th. I'm hesitating buying a full mini PC config around a R9 Nano now, or wait for June in case a far superior new graphic card is released.

Patience is not a quality I have when I'm in such a monomaniac mood. And I don't even know for certain the wait will deliver in June.

What would you do guys?

Zalusithix

Yeah, I know. I probably didn't explain myself properly.

Imagine a square room with the lighthouses in opposing corners and a desk along one wall. Your chaperone bounds will be a rectangle which begins in front of the desk, but includes the remainder of the room.

If you sit at the desk, you're at the very edges of the chaperone bounds. You will track fine, but the chaperone lines will show up constantly unless you manually disable them with developer mode.

Ah, yeah... I'm not sure how the software works precisely in those situations as I don't have my Vive yet to try anything out. I can only speak from theoretical standpoints with knowledge of the tech. Worst case basis, you could set up another play zone where the chaperone bounds include the desk area.

I can only assume that they have something set up in software to avoid that conflict though. It should be rather common to have the chaperone bounds at the edge of desks for seated play, and I can't imagine Valve wouldn't take that into account.

Did you send yours off or are they swapping in situ? I expect/ hope three stuck green pixels would qualify too which is what I have

Sent it off, they use a shitty 3 day delivery to get it there too, got there yesterday but they haven't bothered updating the repair page, only cause I banged on at Julia, they responded to her not to me. But hoping it'll be sent out very soon! You should definitely go for it with 3!

SimplexPL

I should receive my Vive by May, 10th. I'm hesitating buying a full mini PC config around a R9 Nano now, or wait for June in case a far superior new graphic card is released.
Patience is not a quality I have when I'm in such a monomaniac mood. And I don't even know for certain the wait will deliver in June.
What would you do guys?

I'd buy 970 ITX version and wait for Pascal/Polaris.

Ordered the 13th and no shipping yet

It's worth checking which contintent you're all in - different parts of Europe, and Europe versus Australia, versus US have all had quite different shipping progress.

As an example, in Europe, some days France would get 200 units and the UK 20, next day it would be France 20 UK 500.

For Oculus they seem to have had a shipment in Europe over the last couple of days, so a real splurge there, but no progress at all in the US AFAIK.

Plumpman

Did you use the "wait for cancellation" trick? My march 20th order was a May slot.

Yeah I did, just was refreshing the order page every so often and got lucky.

EDIT: I feel like an ass receiving before others who ordered earlier, but it wasn't some crazy trick or hack by any means.

It wasn't until yesterday that I noticed them (have had my Vive since Monday), but I have four green stuck pixels. One in the left eye and three on the right. I first noticed them while initially loading Budget Cuts. I've been running this: Dead Pixel/Stuck Pixel Screen Fix (1 Hour Long) (Seizure warning - See description) a few times today (a couple of times at 2x speed) but they are not gone yet. I have to restart it whenever it ends (though I found a 12-hour version that I think I will do next). I have my Vive sitting on a box against the wall so the video covers the entire screen.

Well, I ran these videos for over 16 hours total and the green pixels are still there. I guess it's time to contact HTC for a replacement/repair. I've only heard bad things about this process...

deadfolk

Ah, yeah... I'm not sure how the software works precisely in those situations as I don't have my Vive yet to try anything out. I can only speak from theoretical standpoints with knowledge of the tech. Worst case basis, you could set up another play zone where the chaperone bounds include the desk area.

I can only assume that they have something set up in software to avoid that conflict though. It should be rather common to have the chaperone bounds at the edge of desks for seated play, and I can't imagine Valve wouldn't take that into account.

I actually have mine, but have not had a chance to try this situation yet. But it's a long weekend here, so...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

There are several options:

1. set the room-scale area a bit further from your desk, then you can play seated there without the chaperone popping up.
2. set the chaperone to the developer mode, so the walls won't pop up.
3. set the mode to seated when playing seated and room scale when playing room scale. This has the disadvantage that you need to run the tutorials each time.

SimplexPL

So that you would resell it as soon as Pascal releases?
Pascal or Polaris, whichever is better. But 970 will probably lose much of its value then. You may consider buying a cheaper interim card, like a used 770 (it passes valve VR test in yellow) or 780.

Yeah I did, just was refreshing the order page every so often and got lucky.

EDIT: I feel like an ass receiving before others who ordered earlier, but it wasn't some crazy trick or hack by any means.
No worries, had I know about this refreshing trick I would have done it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom