• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

There are several options:

1. set the room-scale area a bit further from your desk, then you can play seated there without the chaperone popping up.
2. set the chaperone to the developer mode, so the walls won't pop up.
3. set the mode to seated when playing seated and room scale when playing room scale. This has the disadvantage that you need to run the tutorials each time.

Option 3 is the least intrusive, but damn they need to have a way to just save settings, flip back and forth between modes, and hell, even change to different roomscale configs on the fly.

Cru

Does anyone have their base stations further apart than the 16 ft max. I might need to reposition mine between 17-18 ft.

jotun?

Is there any way to lower the refresh rate on the Vive to something like 75Hz to get more consistent performance on slightly underpowered hardware?

deadfolk

Yes. They require a great deal of tweaking to get running right, but they do work with both headsets.

Very little tweaking required for me. Just opted into the beta and added a launch parameter. Only problem was that my Steam Controller didn't work in VR mode, so I need to come up with a plan b for control.

ooops found it, the cable is so thin i tough it was a usb cable

The sync cable is optional (which is a good thing as there are so many cables :p).

Does anyone have their base stations further apart than the 16 ft max. I might need to reposition mine between 17-18 ft.

I had mine initially around the max and kept getting warning messages stating they were too far apart and that I may have tracking issues. So I moved them out of the corners and a bit closer to each other but still facing the center of my play area.

Tain

Am I correct in thinking that you could, if you really wanted to, get Rift DK2-level tracking from a single base station? Does the hardware work that way? Does the software support this?

if so this is kind of a revelation for me lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Am I correct in thinking that you could, if you really wanted to, get Rift DK2-level tracking from a single base station? Does the hardware work that way? Does the software support this?

I think so. Like I mentioned earlier I was using virtual desktop about 2m outside my tracked area so one lighthouse was completely hidden, and I was only facing the other - and it was fine as long as I faced that lighthouse.

You'll lose the 360 tracking as the headset doesn't have LEDs/sensors on the back of the headset like the OR CV1 (don't know if the DK2 has those..)

Very little tweaking required for me. Just opted into the beta and added a launch parameter. Only problem was that my Steam Controller didn't work in VR mode, so I need to come up with a plan b for control.

Yea, but I was talking more in the lines of making it a comfortable/good experience. The game is not very well suited to run at 90fps while also not being an aliased mess.

There's no trackers on the back?

Nope, that's only on the Oculus and PSVR. Vive gen 1 relies on the roomscale placement and slightly flared side fascia to maintain tracking when you're facing away from a single lighthouse.

I have to imagine they'll throw a few of those trackers on the back of the gen 2 Vive with an improved strap. But that's at least a year or two off.

Well, I ran these videos for over 16 hours total and the green pixels are still there. I guess it's time to contact HTC for a replacement/repair. I've only heard bad things about this process...

Just go for it, everyone deserves a perfect headset, especially given the expense of it all. It is a nightmare trying to get it sorted, but it will get sorted eventually.

UnrealEck

Tuesday morning HTC tried to charge my card (of which all details were in order and correct). They told me and reccommended I update my payment details. I did so. They've yet to try and charge me again. It seems their payment system is rather poor to say the least.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Tuesday morning HTC tried to charge my card (of which all details were in order and correct). They told me and reccommended I update my payment details. I did so. They've yet to try and charge me again. It seems their payment system is rather poor to say the least.

Yup. Call them up and ask them to try while you're on the phone - apparently they have a new tool for that.

Sky Chief

Is there any way to lower the refresh rate on the Vive to something like 75Hz to get more consistent performance on slightly underpowered hardware?

I don't think so

You can get tracking from one lighthouse but both need to be plugged in. If one is unplugged the headset will show a black screen.

Mihos

Gold Member
Only issue I have had so far with Vive is that my arm is killing me from sword fighting in Vanishing Realm way longer than I need to at my age.

This stuff is incredible.

Onemic

How good is Vanishing Realms? I remember the Giant Bomb crewed played it(Or maybe it was just a game that looked like it) and they werent that impressed.

How good is Vanishing Realms? I remember the Giant Bomb crewed played it(Or maybe it was just a game that looked like it) and they werent that impressed.

It's WAY better now after the patch yesterday. The inventory is now actually useable, combat is more exciting, and you can now drop stuff (seriously, how was this not already implemented?!).

Dual wielding swords is very satisfying. As is dodging arrows from bad guys.

Just go for it, everyone deserves a perfect headset, especially given the expense of it all. It is a nightmare trying to get it sorted, but it will get sorted eventually.

Yep! I sent them an email since the live chat isn't available. Hopefully they contact me soon. Thankfully I can still enjoy the headset while I wait.

IMACOMPUTA

I have this in mind:

PdcSkp3.png

Look about right?
Chaperone rectangle about 2.5x2. Maybe 2.5x2.5 if I shove the coffetable over.

This is pretty much exactly how mine is set up, but mirrored. I played elite dangerous and project cars and didn't lose tracking.
I guess it's not a totally ideal set up though.

I was going to check out Elite Dangerous, but now I don't really have any interest in games that don't support room scale. What is life.

Edit b/c double lost:

Do people actually give up a whole room for VR? Or it's just temporary.

Damn I wish to have a spare room, I baited out as 1.5m x 2m is not enough.

My living room is empty because I spent $800 on a Vive instead of furniture (we had previously just used out last roommate's, and he left a few days ago). So now it's a VR room.

If I was a proper adult with a house and furniture, it might be a bit more difficult.

Akronis

Another question! Is it possible to split the audio out of the HDMI into my dedicated external amp/DAC so I can use the audio drop on the Vive instead of having to plug my headphones in directly to the amp/DAC?

IMACOMPUTA

I don't think so

You can get tracking from one lighthouse but both need to be plugged in. If one is unplugged the headset will show a black screen.

That's not true. You can definitely use just one.

You have to have the lighthouse set as "A" in this situation.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Another question! Is it possible to split the audio out of the HDMI into my dedicated external amp/DAC so I can use the audio drop on the Vive instead of having to plug my headphones in directly to the amp/DAC?

You can mirror the audio directly from SteamVR, unless you really want to use the same HDMI cable for both of something

Tain

Thanks for the base station responses. Does anyone happen to know the FOV of Rift CV1's tracking?

I was going to check out Elite Dangerous, but now I don't really have any interest in games that don't support room scale. What is life.

Put a chair in the right position and your spaceship becomes room scale~

jaypah

Does the HDMI to Display Port adapter that came with the DK2 work with the Vive? It would save me the trouble of buying an HDMI/DP wire.

Yeah same for me, it's gone on long enough to pass into the next billing cycle.

Still holding out a little hope it ships next week.

The charge for my Vive is still sitting in Temporary authorizations since Tuesday. :(

Just shut up and take my money already, HTC!
Mines the same but called earlier and the lady said the charge went through and I should get a shipping number today or monday

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Enjoying bowslinger. even though it's not got that many modes, it has enough to be going in with - and they're adding a mode that sounds a bit like the lab's tower defence soon. I wish they had separate leaderboards for the different control types - the simple mode lets you fire off arrows much faster than the 'reach behind your shoulder' one but you're on the same leaderboard. My arms hurt now though

bj00rn_

Banned
You guys (and HTC!) should've told me I needed two video output ports.. I have only one HDMI on my 970 so I went into full panic mode when I discovered that the only way I could proceed with the setup was by acquiring a displayport to minidisplayport cable.. I made it to the only store in town with this cable just before they closed for the night..

I was kinda tired of hearing and seeing about Budget Cuts.., but man what a nice experience. It works so well.

Qassim

You guys (and HTC!) should've told me I needed two video output ports.. I have only one HDMI on my 970 so I went into full panic mode when I discovered that the only way I could proceed with the setup was by acquiring a displayport to minidisplayport cable.. I made it to the only store in town with one just before they closed for the night..

I mean.. it did say it required an HDMI or mini displayport out in the requirements :p

You guys (and HTC!) should've told me I needed two video output ports.. I have only one HDMI on my 970 so I went into full panic mode when I discovered that the only way I could proceed with the setup was by acquiring a displayport to minidisplayport cable.. I made it to the only store in town with this cable just before they closed for the night..

I was kinda tired of hearing and seeing about Budget Cuts.., but man what a nice experience. It works so well.

You could have used a DVI-hdmi adapter.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Can you plug the vive into the hdmi port of your 2nd gpu while the television is is taking up the HDMI of the your 1st gpu?

I saw some days ago a tweet from HTC Vive saying that you shouldn't do that and use just one of the GPUs for output.

Nothing's stopping you from just walking around the cockpit, but naturally there's no gameplay throughout the ship. Your in-game body would remain in the chair of course which would be a little weird, like you're having an out of body experience or something.

VR should not be just about room-scale. It should be about immersion. If you have a HOTAS, Elite Dangerous is insanely immersive and well worth the time for you to check out. If you only have a gamepad, it's still good but not quite as immersive because your in-game hands won't be matching what your actual hands are doing. I think you're missing out on a fantastic VR game, and one of the most complete VR games available if you're skipping it. If it's on sale at some point, I'd certainly pick it up. The feeling of doing a jump for the first time is just awesome.

At one point they were talking about how in a future expansion they want to be able to have gameplay out of the chair as well. So in the future there is a possibility of there being some semblance of room-scale in VR, but we're talking at least 1-2 years away.

Jams775

Well I tried Legend of Luca and it's now the first game I've ever attempted to get a refund on. It just feels like a prototype turned quick cash grab.

I tried it after they apparently did an update to how you move rooms which is fine I guess, but the way enemies pop in and the lack of feedback when you hit them is lacking immensely. I also really don't like the attack patterns of the enemies. It all just seems like shit. My wand kept dropping randomly and I'd have to either find it and it'd be stuck in a wall. Then I'd have to re-equip it from the inventory.

I wouldn't recommend it at this point. It's like an attempt at a Binding of Issac clone but it just doesn't feel like it works in that environment.

Edit: Also I think it turned my stomach a little and I think VR reviews could get a little harsh if the game irritates you and makes your stomach turn a little. That's probably why I'm extra mad at the game.

Nothing's stopping you from just walking around the cockpit, but naturally there's no gameplay throughout the ship. Your in-game body would remain in the chair of course which would be a little weird, like you're having an out of body experience or something.

VR should not be just about room-scale. It should be about immersion. If you have a HOTAS, Elite Dangerous is insanely immersive and well worth the time for you to check out. If you only have a gamepad, it's still good but not quite as immersive because your in-game hands won't be matching what your actual hands are doing. I think you're missing out on a fantastic VR game, and one of the most complete VR games available if you're skipping it. If it's on sale at some point, I'd certainly pick it up. The feeling of doing a jump for the first time is just awesome.

At one point they were talking about how in a future expansion they want to be able to have gameplay out of the chair as well. So in the future there is a possibility of there being some semblance of room-scale in VR, but we're talking at least 1-2 years away.

Elite will be incredible when they fix roomscale with the cockpits.

There are several options:

1. set the room-scale area a bit further from your desk, then you can play seated there without the chaperone popping up.
2. set the chaperone to the developer mode, so the walls won't pop up.
3. set the mode to seated when playing seated and room scale when playing room scale. This has the disadvantage that you need to run the tutorials each time.

I dunno if this is exactly what's being discussed, but when I tried to play the Adventure Time game last night I just put a chair in the middle of the play space, and sat there before starting the game.

Incidentally, if anyone else happens to like Adventure Time, this game is insane. It's way too short, like pretty much every VR game I've tried so far, but it's super fun. Platformers work amazingly well in VR, and although the game doesn't technically support room scale, you can totally walk around and crouch down to get up in Finn and Jake's faces. It's crazy, albeit short lived.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom