• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
kMMLMc9.jpg

Hold me GAF. I can't even handle the wait of setting it up.

taoofjord

Cyberpong came out an hour ago, picked it up and it's really fun. Haven't got multiplayer to work yet but I'm probably the only person playing right now, haha.

The ball reacts to the paddle a little strangely though, so hopefully it gets patched quickly.

newsguy

So I tried to cancel because I have some big expenses in the next month. I immediately regretted it. Now they say I will have to send it back cause it was too late to cancel it. Comes in on Monday. Blessing in disguise?

So I tried to cancel because I have some big expenses in the next month. I immediately regretted it. Now they say I will have to send it back cause it was too late to cancel it. Comes in on Monday. Blessing in disguise?

I thought I'd have a few more weeks to save some more cash. I'm just back from a fortnight in Disneyworld and a little skint but I'm moving house in a couple of months so I suppose this wee window I have just now was probably the only window I'd have this year so BRING IT ON!

Exuro

Try it out, and if you can live without it sell it for more than you paid.

Xortex is fantastic. I literally forgot that I was in my house.

Did you also get a weird feeling getting used to letting all of the bullets pass through you?

My bad guys, I meant Xortex.

And yes, I did get an odd sensation when the projectiles passed through me. My brain was like, "wait a second that didnt hurt you." I know its just a demo but man its really well done.I would love a full fledged game like that with multiplayer of the co-op variety.

Exuro

Well called support and all the guy said is that it would ship in April. Very vague but I guess I'll have to have it by sometime next week. Would had been nice to mess with it on the weekend but oh well.

Cyberpong came out an hour ago, picked it up and it's really fun. Haven't got multiplayer to work yet but I'm probably the only person playing right now, haha.

The ball reacts to the paddle a little strangely though, so hopefully it gets patched quickly.
Rockstar desperately needs to remaster Table Tennis and release it in VR

Seriously- it received great reviews and is old enough to perform at 90fps on today's tech. It got praised for its intuitive controls on both 360 AND Wii; meaning both a Rift seated version and a motion control version would fit like a glove

I can't think of a more obvious VR candidate that would have an attach rate higher than any non-bundle game. People would eat it up

Salamande

I cannot get the camera to work for me. I've tried different USB ports (USB2 and USB3) and even lowering the frequency to 30.

What happens is the camera view pops up for a moment, then the display goes grey, then camera again...rinse, repeat. At that point, I cannot even dismiss the camera - I have to remove the headset and disable the camera completely via the desktop.

Anyone seen anything like this?

I've never even gotten the camera to work in VR. USB 3 or 2, any frequency...doesn't matter. The funny thing is, it works as a regular camera - for example, I can use it in Google Hangouts as a webcam. But if I try it in SteamVR, all the tests fail, and nothing happens when I try to activate it. It's really annoying.

Wollan

Sent HTC UK an email a week ago about wanting a replacement for 3-in-1 cable which I believe to be faulty. No reply yet. Will have to call them tomorrow.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So, Virtual desktop and Windows 10. Since Windows 10 lets you stream your XBO game to Windows, is there any reason you couldn't use VD to play XBO games in VR?

Just went into altspace. Wow. The possibilities with VR are seemingly endless. Can't imagine what we'll see 5-10 years from now. If you're a technophile it is a wonderful time to be alive indeed

So I'm hyped but I'm definitely not super excited. I'm trying to keep my expectations low because idk what the hell to expect since I haven't tried any VR headsets.

Jams775

Just went into altspace. Wow. The possibilities with VR are seemingly endless. Can't imagine what we'll see 5-10 years from now. If you're a technophile it is a wonderful time to be alive indeed

So is altspace worth trying? I almost did but then just changed my mind because I wasn't sure.

ZeroFate

Sooo.... when did they get all caught up with shipments? I ordered mine March 25th and was under the impression I'd have to wait until mid-May at the earliest for my Vive (pretty sure it said as much on the order confirmation screen). Was legit shocked to get a shipping confirmation for a May 2nd delivery a couple of hours ago.

Only issue is... I just moved across the world and my stuff (to include my computer) won't be here until May 10th. So I'll be sitting at home with a Vive I can't use for about a week. First world problems, right? lol

spannicus

You could resell on ebay and make an addition 500 bucks or more.

Apparently I'm really out of shape.

Anyone have suggestions of what to try outside of the bundle games?

Edit: I have $35 in my paypal account after blowing the rest of my funds on the hardware, and I'm debating between Hover Junkers and Audioshield. I can't really decide which I'd want to play for longer.

Edit: I have $35 in my paypal account after blowing the rest of my funds on the hardware, and I'm debating between Hover Junkers and Audioshield. I can't really decide which I'd want to play for longer.

If you still want a workout and liked the archery stuff in the Lab, then try Holopoint. It will make you feel like a badass. But since you said you where out of shape and the game gives quite a range of movement I would only play 2 rounds or so for your first couple sessions till all of your tendons get used to the movement.

If you want something more relaxing and if you like puzzle games then try fantastic contraption if you haven't yet. It should have come with your bundle of free games. It's one of the games that keeps me thinking at night with all the possibilities.

Compsiox

Banned

Audioshield. Being out of shape for Hover Junkers will not be fun.

If you still want a workout and liked the archery stuff in the Lab, then try Holopoint. It will make you feel like a badass. But since you said you where out of shape and the game gives quite a range of movement I would only play 2 rounds or so for your first couple sessions till all of your tendons get used to the movement.

If you want something more relaxing and if you like puzzle games then try fantastic contraption if you haven't yet. It should have come with your bundle of free games. It's one of the games that keeps me thinking at night with all the possibilities.

Will do, I'm installing Fantastic Contraption right now.

Audioshield. Being out of shape for Hover Junkers will not be fun.

Hah, so I've heard. Thanks for the input!

Trojan

Hey guys - any recommendations on websites or videos for advanced base station setup? My OCD is kicking in that my current setup is losing tracking sometimes and want to make sure that I've got optimal position. I'm probably being anal about it but I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to perfect their room setup.

I've been having some insanely weird issues with my vive. In Steam VR, the lightbox icons will turn off then back on every minute or so, but in reality they stay on and have bold green lights and b and c respectivly. Second, my controllers are turned on in the middle of the room and in SteamVR just blink and says Controller not Tracking. I spent the entire night clean installing Windows 10 and Steam and the Vive. I have gotten the controllers and lightboxes to work and was able to play Job Simulator and Tilt Brush and The Lab for a couple hours last night and today, but out the of the 10 or so times I try to turn the vive on and play something, it has worked about 3 times. Multiple Reboots and nothing else running in the background. Does anyone have any advice?

Jams775

I've been having some insanely weird issues with my vive. In Steam VR, the lightbox icons will turn off then back on every minute or so, but in reality they stay on and have bold green lights and b and c respectivly. Second, my controllers are turned on in the middle of the room and in SteamVR just blink and says Controller not Tracking. I spent the entire night clean installing Windows 10 and Steam and the Vive. I have gotten the controllers and lightboxes to work and was able to play Job Simulator and Tilt Brush and The Lab for a couple hours last night and today, but out the of the 10 or so times I try to turn the vive on and play something, it has worked about 3 times. Multiple Reboots and nothing else running in the background. Does anyone have any advice?

Do you live near a radio tower? Sounds similar to somebody in this thread that was near one causing all sorts of problems until at night when the tower was using less wattage.

Also, try getting rid of nearby Bluetooth devices and see if that helps. And mirrors.

Onemic

Still looking for someone to test out a really quick thing I made in Unity if there are any takers, PM me :)
(It's like a 10 second test but I just need to see if I can start development on this Vive game or if I have to wait until June when I get one)

I would if I had a Vive :(

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat

They are saying the Vive support won't be in until this weekend. I will probably end up picking it up on steam (it is 4.99 right now) for the heck of it. I really really enjoyed Rift Max Theater and Virtual Desktop's theater is quite doing it for me.

Contact lens cleaner? ;-;

I've been using Zeiss lens cleaner and a lens pen. I'm pretty anal about how I clean the lenses after owning the DK1/DK2 and knowing how easy it is for even dust to scratch them.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Contact lens cleaner? ;-;

*wipes peroxide around headset*

Nah, this kind of stuff for glasses.
k2-_227cd5f8-9eb2-404b-9e2a-aade9ea262e8.v1.jpg

I've been using Zeiss lens cleaner and a lens pen. I'm pretty anal about how I clean the lenses after owning the DK1/DK2 and knowing how easy it is for even dust to scratch them.

Yup, I used a normal kleenex a few times on my DK2 and was getting those fine scratches already. They weren't kidding.

Jams775

So has anyone used the Vive desktop app? It has a neat home base (I don't really know what to call it. The place you start in?). Though it just seem like it does the same thing the steam one does. Though it looks like they might be adding in actual content at some point? My guess would be a store for content like videos and experiences.

KScorp

Does anyone know if cleaning the lenses with water on the cleaning cloth is okay to do?

Better to do it with isopropyl alcohol or lens cleaning liquid. (https://www.htcvive.com/us/support/howto/720445.html)

Distilled water should be safe too, although it is a bit less effective since it doesn't evaporate as quickly.

Tap water is risky though. It often contains tiny particles of matter which can make tiny scratches to the lens. Using it once probably won't be noticeable, but over time the scratches will add up.

Compsiox

Banned
Better to do it with isopropyl alcohol or lens cleaning liquid. (https://www.htcvive.com/us/support/howto/720445.html)

Distilled water should be safe too, although it is a bit less effective since it doesn't evaporate as quickly.

Tap water is risky though. It often contains tiny particles of matter which can make tiny scratches to the lens. Using it once probably won't be noticeable, but over time the scratches will add up.

Are you sure this is okay to do?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

Yeah, rubbing alcohol is the way to go I'd say. Great for cleaning up oils too.

Looks like most lens cleaners are a 60% solution of it. Just stick with that instead of the 99% stuff if you want to be extra safe.

Helznicht

Its kinda a slap in the face of us Vive (or soon to be vive) owners to go look on the steam store under the VR tag, see a neat game or app, and see it only supports Oculus. And there are quite a bit too. You would think Valve would at least try to drive support to their customers. :-/

KScorp

Yes, it's one of the best liquids for cleaning stuff like this. HTC mentions to use alcohol, which refers to this.

Its kinda a slap in the face of us Vive (or soon to be vive) owners to go look on the steam store under the VR tag, see a neat game or app, and see it only supports Oculus. And there are quite a bit too. You would think Valve would at least try to drive support to their customers. :-/

It's up to the developer of the game to pick what they want to support... how is this Valve's fault? There are lots of games that are exclusive to Vive at the moment due to the controllers, and many more that are for both.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

You realize that developers have been working on Oculus games for the past 3 years, and only around 1.5 at most on Vive games, right?

It's not just a matter of flipping a switch to add Vive support.

Tain

That's a slap in the face? Not even close.

Exuro

I keep getting my hopes up. Check the daily reddit thread, a few people post that they just got shipping update in the past 10 minutes. Check mine, same status as last week. I'm going mad.

Fellow vive owners, come waste money with me!

Legend of Luca $17.99: http://store.steampowered.com/app/433600/?snr=1_7_7_230_150_1
Just updated! Big Update! I never played it so I didn't even know~ So this game was a big rectangle room/dungeon like the first zelda. You move from rectangle to rectangle. So what did it do if your playspace was too small? It scaled down the room to the size of your playspace! If your playspace was tiny, you were apparently looking down at a tiny room holding tiny weapons fighting tiny monsters.
The update made the room 1:1 scale "lifesize" no matter what, and gave it teleportation like The Lab.

Since I like Vanishing Realms, I guess I'll go spend money on this since it's on sale.... only 10% off but whatever.

Cyberpong VR $13.49: http://store.steampowered.com/app/462000/?snr=1_7_7_230_150_5
Another 10% off game bleh. So it has neat graphics and it's breakout in VR. *shrugs* might as well. I hear it has multiplayer? Someone else in this thread has been hyping this game up so why not.

Also, I sent requests to get refunds on Pierhead Arcade and Out of Ammo
Pierhead Arcade: Meh. I see why it's enjoyable. I just didn't enjoy it enough. I'll wait for a sale then buy it again.
Out of Ammo: Great game! For right handed players! I'm left handed! Fuck this! And now it gives me a chance when they patch in left handed play, maybe they'll put it on sale....
I wanted to refund Chunks (I don't play it enough) but I bought it on sale for $15 and now it's $20 so I might as well keep it for the sale price I paid...
>_> I like sales.

kinggroin

Banned
Ordered mine March fucking 2nd...

Still says pending fulfillment. Ffs. There is a pending charge on my card since Monday. Nothing since then.

Would signing up for FedEx delivery manager help with status updates? How do I go about doing this?

Edit: On topic, that Arizona Sunshine game looks SICK! First game I'll be buying when out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom