• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky Chief

So, I just did an instore demo, and was a bit disappointed.

One stood out: my right eye was blurry.

Now, I usually wear glasses, though not when reading or sitting in front of a monitor. I took them off for the demo.

I messed about with the IPD and managed to get my left eye perfectly clear, but the right one blurry. I asked the store guy if he could wipe down the lense as it felt like it was just smudged. But the blur persisted. Messing with the ipd slider couldn't fix the blur on my right eye, but I got a crisp image on my left.

I played the demo anyway and was really impressed with the controls and responsiveness, but the image quality was obviously a bit off.

Now, I didn't have time to mess about with the settings, but I'm thinking that probably the headset was simply on slightly tilted. So even though I got the lens infront of my left eye, it wouldn't match the right simultaneously regardless of IPD-setting. Anyone had a similar experience and fixed it with proper setup?

I guess it could be that my eyes are just screwed up, but afaik my vision is impaired equally on both.

You just have to adjust the headset until your eyes line up properly, only takes a few seconds

artsi

vorpX works but it seems damn weird in many ways. From the games I tried Skyrim was the only one that felt somewhat right, but it's difficult to setup. I have to continue fiddling with it.

But what I noticed is that the cinema mode beats Virtual Desktop and SteamVR cinema modes, it looks very nice and also supports 3D.

cakefoo

Would I have to buy this? I always hear about 'revive' but has no idea what that is or where to get it.
ReVive lets you play Rift-supported games on Vive, whereas VorpX lets you play non-VR games in VR. Not to be confused with apps that let you play non-VR games on a virtual flatscreen in VR.

Plumpman

Shipment was scheduled for Monday. FedEx just called me personally, said they had a special request from the shipper to deliver today and if I would be home to sign for it. I hadn't contacted anyone about it.

It's on the way now! This is crazy!

vorpX works but it seems damn weird in many ways. From the games I tried Skyrim was the only one that felt somewhat right, but it's difficult to setup. I have to continue fiddling with it.

But what I noticed is that the cinema mode beats Virtual Desktop and SteamVR cinema modes, it looks very nice and also supports 3D.
Any chance you could try alien isolation? Id be forever grateful

Samaritan

Shipment was scheduled for Monday. FedEx just called me personally, said they had a special request from the shipper to deliver today and if I would be home to sign for it. I hadn't contacted anyone about it.

It's on the way now! This is crazy!

Wow, that's a hell of a nice thing! Must've been quite the call to get.

Enk

makes good threads.
For those trying VorpX for the first time I highly recommend Legend of Grimrock and (to a slightly lesser extent) Dead Space in Theater Mode with the Geometry 3D turned on.

artsi

Any chance you could try alien isolation? Id be forever grateful

I would, but don't have the game :(

Witcher 3 seems to work pretty nicely. The only problem is that the camera still rotates around Geralt, if it was independent camera like in Lucky's Tale, Chronos etc. it would be awesome.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
giphy.gif

Order Status : Pending Fullfillment

Lunar FC

ReVive lets you play Rift-supported games on Vive, whereas VorpX lets you play non-VR games in VR. Not to be confused with apps that let you play non-VR games on a virtual flatscreen in VR.

Awesome, thanks for the clarification. Would definitely like to hear impressions about how well vorpx works as there are many titles I would look foward to replaying in vr.

sk3

Banned
Anyone else getting issues with Steam and Desktop missing from Steam VR?

I will frequently boot up steam vr, put on the headset and the Vive app is the only one that shows up.

Jams775

I will frequently boot up steam vr, put on the headset and the Vive app is the only one that shows up.

That just happened to me for the first time. I thought it was an update or something. Well there was an update for Vive I installed just before I used it. Just to clarify, it looks like of like the normal SteamVR but with a lot of features missing including desktop mode and some other round icons you'd see on the bottom part.

So, any VorpX Vive Impressions? I want to buy It but I need to know that it runs good on my hardware since it's $40 bones and there are no refunds.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I have 8GB RAM. Does that matter? Should I upgrade? I'm still on ddr3.

It happens to me every now and then, if you reboot the headset it should fix it.

So, do games played using vorpx need to be running at 90fps to prevent sickness, and if so, how does that work with the fallout (and skyrim) games where physics and other stuff go nuts over 60fps?

Wanted to exercise tonight, so I played a bunch of Audioshield on its hardest difficulty. Then I moved on to Hover Junkers, which was the most fun I've had with it by far. I partnered up with other players on their own ships for the first time, and I ended up with one guy who was quite good at both driving and shooting. He would collect the loot and fly us around while I kept on the lookout for enemies. My aiming certainly improved, and it felt great so be surrounded by foes and take them all out. At one point I was lying on my back using dual pistols to shoot the person in front of me. So cool.

Then, before taking off my headset for the day, I decided to see what was happening in AltspaceVR. A few minutes after getting in and trying (unsuccessfully) to get someone to play Air Hockey with me, a woman came on. I heard her say that she was on Shark Tank last night, and since I follow her brother on Twitter, I immediately knew who she was. "Are you Justin's sister?" I asked, to which she confirmed. I then looked at her name and saw that she was using his account, which is simply named "justin roiland". It didn't take long for someone to do a Lemongrab impression, which was actually really good. So we all talked about her fashion app, what you can do in AltspaceVR, how people seem to be nicer in virtual reality, and then we all did this (she's the happy floating robot):

2Z6eOJJ.jpg

The Vive controller train got much longer but I wasn't able to get a good shot of it.

Selfie!

Monger

Yeah, it was happening to me quite a bit.

I started booting up Steam first and then launching steam VR from there and it hasn't happened since.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You're good. I think GPU RAM would be more important for VR. But you're good for Vive.
Thanks for the reply. It seems like I'm ok but I saw that movie game that recommended 12GB. I'm wondering whether that's going to be a trend or if I can ignore it until I make a new build.

Jams775

Thanks for the reply. It seems like I'm ok but I saw that movie game that recommended 12GB. I'm wondering whether that's going to be a trend or if I can ignore it until I make a new build.

It wouldn't hurt to upgrade but I think the recommended specs are 8GB. I have 16GB and haven't had any problems.

Fusebox

Banned
For those trying VorpX for the first time I highly recommend Legend of Grimrock and (to a slightly lesser extent) Dead Space in Theater Mode with the Geometry 3D turned on.

Grimrock in VR. Goddamn that's gonna be atmospheric.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Should be fine. That presenz app only needed 12GB for one of the demos (the beaver jumping around the room). You can check out the static scenes and one shorter video with 8GB

taco543

Chase accepted the charge now they just need to hurry and ship my vive! I ordered back on 2/29 cmon stop playing with my heart!

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Doing a bit of prep for my Vive, downloading Oculus home and whatnot. Stumbled upon this on Reddit from 11 hours ago..

25021574-0f2b-11e6-91b5-7f92c5262ccf.png

Looks like the creator/s of ReVive have started working on an easy to use UI for launching Rift games via your Vive.

Super pumped.

bj00rn_

Banned
Yeah.

The best piece of software I used on it was Universe Sandbox.

After seeing your comment I went to youtube and looked around for reviews and VR footage. When I went to the Steam store to buy it I noticed that I had already bought it ages ago and forgot about it.. lol. The sad thing is that this is pretty normal..

Has anyone tried Alan Wake with this? Alan Wake is one of my most favorite games. I imagine it doesn't work well though. If anyone has any experience with Alan Wake on VR, let me know your thoughts and whether not it's worth experiencing in VR or not. :)

Alan Wake worked great with 3D vision; maybe it's worth a try running it in virtual deskop while enabling 3d vision.

Or trying it in VR altogether with Vorpx.

CaLe

As I said after that one post, yes: it is very noticeable.

But it's far from what VR enthusiasts were accustomed to.

A shame. Wouldn't that greatly distract you from the VR experience ?

It's hard spending that amount of money without being able to actually try the device.....

Kysen

Tried to play windlands in room scale while standing and couldn't do it. After every jump my legs would brace for landing causing me to lose my balance. Job simulator looked so fun in YT videos but the actual game is quite boring. I was done in 5min.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom