• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
A shame. Wouldn't that greatly distract you from the VR experience ?

It's hard spending that amount of money without being able to actually try the device.....

It won't distract you at all. But if you look for it, it's there.

People exaggerate, though. It's good keeping expectations in check, also. We're a long way from cristal clear VR.

As far as I'm concerned, having all kinds of displays in my house (from sd to 4k), there's nothing comparing to VR. To the point where traditional gaming gets quite boring for me now.

Yes! My Vive arrives on Tuesday. 4/1 preorder. I can't believe it's happening already.

4/6 here. Nothing yet. Weird that they still have Feb/March orders and they are shipping April. I won't complain if mine gets sent out :) but it still sucks for people who have been waiting longer.

Sheytan

It is very noticeable, i was actually a bit disappointed with that aspect.

Me too and text is very hard to read (virtual desktop is really hard to use), and it's like looking trough binoculars, but then again i have fun with the games but the image is not that great.

CaLe

Me too and text is very hard to read (virtual desktop is really hard to use), and it's like looking trough binoculars, but then again i have fun with the games but the image is not that great.

So how are games handling menus and HUD elements if the text is so hard to see ?

So how are games handling menus and HUD elements if the text is so hard to see ?

I don't find text hard to read.

Steam is perfectly readable (when you pull up the Vive overlay), so is in-game text. Something might be off with those users' settings.

Virtual desktop is another thing entirely. But you have to lean into things to read better.

CaLe

I don't find text hard to read.

Steam is perfectly readable (when you pull up the Vive overlay), so is in-game text. Something might be off with those users' settings.

Virtual desktop is another thing entirely. But you have to lean into things to read better.

Ah alright, thanks. I have been second guessing my pre-order but you've re-assured me. I can only afford one big purchase this year, I want to make it count :)

Ah alright, thanks. I have been second guessing my pre-order but you've re-assured me. I can only afford one big purchase this year, I want to make it count :)

You need to take these comments (positive and negative alike) on a game-by-game and maybe user-by-user basis.

Some experiences work perfectly fine, some others don't.

Text in VR games is easy to read but not in other applications

Yep. Really depends on what you're trying to read.

It all depends on how close or far away the text is, but generally it's easily readable, take Virtual Desktop, which you may buy? You can scale it in and out and there's a point where it's plain unreadable.

But taken as a whole, the VR experience is amazing, and I'm really missing mine, as its gone back for replacement. I'm a huge 4K lover, and I got over that very quickly with the Vive's screen, there's just nothing like it.

CaLe

It all depends on how close or far away the text is, but generally it's easily readable, take Virtual Desktop, which you may buy? You can scale it in and out and there's a point where it's plain unreadable.

But taken as a whole, the VR experience is amazing, and I'm really missing mine, as its gone back for replacement. I'm a huge 4K lover, and I got over that very quickly with the Vive's screen, there's just nothing like it.

Thanks for the feedback !

I might buy Virtual Desktop, but never having tried VR it's really hard to know what to expect. If it doesn't replace everyday Desktop use on a monitor (i.e: Browsing, reading books, coding) it will be hard to justify. Unless it's great at watching movies / TV shows ?

Regarding the 4K comment, how does it relate to the Vive ? Do you mean that you don't feel the need to play in 4K anymore since you tried VR ?

terandle

So is Virtual Desktop worth $15? It seems cool, but also super gimmicky.

It seems like the easiest way to watch 360 degree videos on the Vive currently. At some point Valve will probably build all of it's functionality into Steam VR but for now I've certainly paid for worse VR software.

I might buy Virtual Desktop, but never having tried VR it's really hard to know what to expect. If it doesn't replace everyday Desktop use on a monitor (i.e: Browsing, reading books, coding) it will be hard to justify.

It certainly doesn't replace your computer monitor for reading text.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
So is Virtual Desktop worth $15? It seems cool, but also super gimmicky.

I'm not gonna use it as a general desktop much, but blasting music and being completely enclosed within a Milk Drop visualizer is INCREDIBLE. When I first did it I didn't realize how much I was just dumbfoundedly smiling until my cheeks started hurting.

wwm0nkey

Ordered the sports VR cover because I found out that is what the MS store was using where I demoed it at, it was super nice.

Schryver

Damn. My pending charge is not showing on my bank account anymore. Hoping my order doesn't get canceled soon (as I requested before changing my mind). If I have to reorder hopefully they can get me back in front of the line :/

Thanks for the feedback !

I might buy Virtual Desktop, but never having tried VR it's really hard to know what to expect. If it doesn't replace everyday Desktop use on a monitor (i.e: Browsing, reading books, coding) it will be hard to justify. Unless it's great at watching movies / TV shows ?

Regarding the 4K comment, how does it relate to the Vive ? Do you mean that you don't feel the need to play in 4K anymore since you tried VR ?

Tbh VD is quite cool, but it's not something that I'd use very often. I think it's probably best for 360 videos, which I haven't tried yet.

What I mean with the 4K Vive thing is that they're both awesome in what they do, I love playing 4K games, but also love VR with the Vive's resolution which is obviously much lower compared, but because it's offering something new, it's totally OK.

Damn. My pending charge is not showing on my bank account anymore. Hoping my order doesn't get canceled soon (as I requested before changing my mind). If I have to reorder hopefully they can get me back in front of the line :/

Mine did that yesterday morning. I received my shipping notice a few hours later.

ToD_

The same just happened to me. From some reddit posts I gathered this is common and not a reason for concern. If you didn't receive a cancellation message or any kind of notification that your payment was declined, you should be fine. Most people this happened to still received a shipping notification and charge (sometimes after the Vive was delivered). Of course, I can't make any promises here, and I'm also mildly concerned.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My biggest problem with virtual desktop is not being able to use the vive controllers as a mouse like you can in steam desktop

My biggest problem with steam desktop is not being able to make the screen larger like you can in virtual desktop - with a high res monitor its almost impossible to read system text

artsi

I've pretty much used just Vorpx desktop mode now, it's the right distance, room looks nice, has zoom function, automatic aspect ratio, nice global illumination light effect, etc.

I've pretty much used just Vorpx desktop mode now, it's the right distance, room looks nice, has zoom function, automatic aspect ratio, nice global illumination light effect, etc.
Is it worth picking up just for cinema mode if you have virtual desktop already? Is it just that good?

Are any of these virtual desktop apps made for roomscale in such a way that I can pick up the virtual screen, resize it or put it at the desired spot using the Vive controllers?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Does it play SBS 3D movies? Virtual desktop should but it doesn't work well with 21:9 monitors

My daughter invited a friend over to try out the vive and she really enjoyed it, but smacked the wall a couple of times, and leaned on a counter that wasn't there in job emulator and stumbled face first into a wall.

Not sure how to handle future visits. I don't want to restrict access, but I'm also aware how expensive it is, whereas they likely won't be - plus you can't easily tell off other peoples' kids

Does it play SBS 3D movies? Virtual desktop should but it doesn't work well with 21:9 monitors

My daughter in imputed a friend over to try out the vive and she really enjoyed it, but smacked the wall a couple of times, and leaned in a counter that wasn't there in job emulator and stumbled face first into a wall.

Not sure how to handle future visits. I don't want to restrict access, but I'm also aware how expensive it is, whereas they likely won't be

Lol, I've had similar experiences, you try not to be over-protective of the Vive, but it's hard cause we're the ones that bought it, and like you said it's a lot of money.

artsi

Is it worth picking up just for cinema mode if you have virtual desktop already? Is it just that good?

I think so, been playing a lot of Witcher 3 with it and watching anime. The global illumination effect and theatre model are a lot better than in Virtual Desktop.

It should, but I haven't tried any yet. The cinema mode at least works nicely with different aspect ratios, I can go from playing a 4:3 SNES game to a widescreen movie, and the screen changes shape accordingly, no letterboxing there.

My daughter invited a friend over to try out the vive and she really enjoyed it, but smacked the wall a couple of times, and leaned on a counter that wasn't there in job emulator and stumbled face first into a wall.

Not sure how to handle future visits. I don't want to restrict access, but I'm also aware how expensive it is, whereas they likely won't be - plus you can't easily tell off other peoples' kids

Lol, I've had similar experiences, you try not to be over-protective of the Vive, but it's hard cause we're the ones that bought it, and like you said it's a lot of money.

Why do you have to let them access it? Its yours not your daughters. If you are seriously concerned don't let them use it.

Tried to play windlands in room scale while standing and couldn't do it. After every jump my legs would brace for landing causing me to lose my balance. Job simulator looked so fun in YT videos but the actual game is quite boring. I was done in 5min.

Why does everyone hate Job Simulator? I demo'd my Vive last night, and half the people wrote it off after three minutes because "it was boring". How? Job Simulator is one of my favorite games so far. It's certainly nothing revolutionary, but it works beautifully with roomscale and the sense of presence is incredible. I find myself getting completely lost in it. Honestly, the only criticism I have of it is that grabbing objects doesn't work as flawlessly as it does in similar games. It's close, but just inconsistent enough to be noticeable.

That said, I was surprisingly let down by Budget Cuts and Audio Shield.

Because the very best thing about VR at the moment is showing it to other people. It's great.

It's true, I love showing it to others, some of the reactions are just brilliant, and the thing is, I can't honestly remember the last bit of tech I've showed someone that they've never seen/experienced before (especially non gamers) And have been amazed by, it's one of those watershed moments in gaming and in technology generally that we may not get again for decades.

I'm not feeling confident about getting my dead pixel issue fixed easily. I just got this two days after I contacted them:

Thank you very much Charles for contact the HTC VIVE support.
I'm so sorry to read you have faced this inconvenience with the HMD and for sure I will definitely help you out to solve it. First of all I will need you to please send me all your computer specs. Are you able to see that dead pixel with all the content? If you mirror the image in the computer monitor, you see them? You noticed about the issue at the very first moment, or maybe have you dropped the HMD? I need you to please send me the serial number of the HMD as well. The pixels seem to appear really close or far away on the display? How many are they? They have a specific color?

When you close this ticket you will receive a short survey. If you need further assistance or any other question, do not doubt in contact us back.

I already sent answers to many of the questions they asked in my initial email, and English doesn't seem to be their first language which will make an already complicated issue even more difficult.

Now to just wait and see how it goes. I should stop reading horror stories on reddit from people in the same situation.

I'm not feeling confident about getting my dead pixel issue fixed easily. I just got this two days after I contacted them:

I already sent answers to many of the questions they asked in my initial email, and English doesn't seem to be their first language which will make an already complicated issue even more difficult.

Now to just wait and see how it goes. I should stop reading horror stories on reddit from people in the same situation.

Oh blimey, I went straight to Julia HTC, she said that's not acceptable, looked into it and told me to contact customer services, and I just came out and said Julia has contacted tech support and told me to send the headset back, I just tried to cut the bullshit from them, they made out a repair order number and then I sent it back. Repair contacted Julia (not me)and said it was faulty and that they'd be sending me a new one. So now just waiting. Not an easy process I grant you.

Damn this bank holiday..... Damn it all to hell.

Just received my download bundle from HTC, delivery for Tuesday to my work address, My day off and the night I play badminton with my pals. 1st world problems eh?

n0razi

I'm not gonna use it as a general desktop much, but blasting music and being completely enclosed within a Milk Drop visualizer is INCREDIBLE. When I first did it I didn't realize how much I was just dumbfoundedly smiling until my cheeks started hurting.

Thats from the pressure of the HMD on your cheeks :eek:

CaLe

So they put a hold on the payment on my credit card last Monday. The hold is still here, but I haven't received any emails. The order page says it's pending fulfillment.

Is it known to take that long ? Anyone else in the same position ?

So they put a hold on the payment on my credit card last Monday. The hold is still here, but I haven't received any emails. The order page says it's pending fulfillment.

Call them. I had the same thing and they told me the payment went through

Shouldn't I have received an email though ? Other than telling you that the payment went through, what did they tell you ?
I think the last email I got was the one telling me to alert my bank. And the lady told me I should expect my tracking number (I called this past friday) either that day or tomorrow (monday)

CaLe

I think the last email I got was the one telling me to alert my bank. And the lady told me I should expect my tracking number (I called this past friday) either that day or tomorrow (monday)

I can't seem to find the number, do you happen to have it please ?

morethepolar

Neo Member

I had a hold placed for five days that expired and was refunded completely, five days or so of silence, then a shipping email with a direct charge and overnight delivery. Seems to be a bit of a random draw at this point.

CaLe

I had a hold placed for five days that expired and was refunded completely, five days or so of silence, then a shipping email with a direct charge and overnight delivery. Seems to be a bit of a random draw at this point.

Good to know, so it's not out of the ordinary. Thanks :)

Why does everyone hate Job Simulator? I demo'd my Vive last night, and half the people wrote it off after three minutes because "it was boring". How? Job Simulator is one of my favorite games so far. It's certainly nothing revolutionary, but it works beautifully with roomscale and the sense of presence is incredible. I find myself getting completely lost in it. Honestly, the only criticism I have of it is that grabbing objects doesn't work as flawlessly as it does in similar games. It's close, but just inconsistent enough to be noticeable.

Just looking at it through video, I've never quite understood why people are so in to it. It looks like you don't actually do anything other than play around with the environment. What else is there to it?

Let down by Budget Cuts?! What is this madness??

For serious, what didn't you like?

Just looking at it through video, I've never quite understood why people are so in to it. It looks like you don't actually do anything other than play around with the environment. What else is there to it?

As one of my first VR experience, I thought it was amazing.

Then once the novelty of throwing shit around wore off, there really wasn't much to it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom