• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man... I just spent an unhealthy amount of time in Vivecraft.

Showed it to my wife and she immediately said that it's now her favorite game on the Vive... She doesn't play games at all lol but she spent a good half hour messing around in it until she had to get back to her project that she is now late on. Incredible.

It's also had the adverse effect of ruining non VR Minecraft for me. :/

Just wish I could get forge to install properly so I could use some cool mods. I feel like I'm missing something so simple but I just can't get it... :(

mr stroke

Just got my Vive and really want to try out The Climb.

Anyone know if it will work on VIVE and what kind of hack does it take to get it to work?

viveks86

Guys I can't figure out how to finish this game

bcxjrs9.png

I haven't really been on Gaf the past few days since my Vive arrived and I honestly thought I would have a really long in depth first impressions to post by now, but all my time that would be spent writing it has been spent in VR.

For a quick first impression I'll say this-

I've never used VR prior to using my Vive and yet I pre-ordered a Vive, a Rift and a PSVR the second pre-orders went up for each based on what I thought VR could be like based on nothing but my imagination and peoples first hand impressions that I've read online.

I had no idea that it would be as incredible as it actually is.

For all the idiots that shitpost in every VR thread on Gaf that are too stupid to even begin to comprehend what VR is like and actually be stupid enough to write it off as a gimmick before even trying it, I put down over a grand before even having a cohesive idea of what VR truly is.

I would do it again in a heartbeart and will do it again in a heartbeat the second that gen 2 revisions of each headset come out.

I can't even begin to describe what my first experience was like, but even without ever being stupid enough to need to try VR to sell me on it, I was absolutely blown away the second I put on the headset.

I can't wait for more people to receive theirs and get to see what all the hype has been about, because I've never, ever experienced something with so much hype not only live up to it, but exceed it.

Also, Brookhaven is scary as shit and there's no way that lady was faking it :p

I haven't really been on Gaf the past few days since my Vive arrived and I honestly thought I would have a really long in depth first impressions to post by now, but all my time that would be spent writing it has been spent in VR.

I've never used VR prior to using my Vive and yet I pre-ordered a Vive, a Rift and a PSVR the second pre-orders went up for each based on what I thought VR could be like based on nothing but my imagination and peoples first hand impressions that I've read online.

I had no idea that it would as incredible as it actually is.

For all the idiots that shitpost in every VR thread on Gaf that are too stupid to even begin to comprehend what VR is like and actually be stupid enough to write it off as a gimmick before even trying it, I put down over a grand before even having a cohesive idea of what VR truly is.

I would do it again in a heartbeart and will do it again in a heartbeat the second that gen 2 revisions of each headset come out.

I can't even begin to describe what my first experience was like, but even without ever being stupid enough to need to try VR to sell me on it, I was absolutely blown away the second I put on the headset.

I can't wait for more people to receive theirs and get to see what all the hype has been about, because I've never, ever experienced something with so much hype not only live up to it, but exceed it.

Yeah, before I tried the Vive I was nervous about roomscale taking off because oculus and PSVR don't currently support it. Then gamestop started demoing the Vive even though there where rumors that they weren't going to and where in favor of PSVR only. That gave me hope since it meant that roomscale would be a lot of peoples first time experience with VR and first impressions are everything. But I was still worried that it would just become a niche thing.

But man, after I got my Vive and plopped myself into VR for the first time and walked around and interacted with stuff... I'm not the least bit worried now. VR and roomscale are just one and the same to me and I have absolutely no doubt about it's success. I mean, I don't even argue about it anymore lol. It's incredible.

Now I just want to demo it to as many people as possible. I haven't felt like that about any other piece of tech that I've ever owned.

Exuro

So I have a desk/couch on one side of my room, and an entertainment center on the other side. Is it better to move the base stations to the edge of the desk/entertainment center rather than the corners of the room to reduce possible occlusion cause by those furnitures?

So I have a desk/couch on one side of my room, and an entertainment center on the other side. Is it better to move the base stations to the edge of the desk/entertainment center rather than the corners of the room to reduce possible occlusion cause by those furnitures?

I guess it depends on how high the stuff is but yeah, that's how I have mine set up. At the "edges" instead of the far corners.

Haint

Vash63

The Bluetooth sleep control seems to be pretty solid now (and has been for a while)--if you're opted into the Steam VR Beta at least. Don't think it has failed once in more than a week.

I've had some issues with it turning off automatically while in use, even on the latest beta. I leave it on though for convenience but it's definitely not perfect.

The Bluetooth sleep control seems to be pretty solid now (and has been for a while)--if you're opted into the Steam VR Beta at least. Don't think it has failed once in more than a week.

Well that is good news. I also keep forgetting to opt into the beta so thanks for reminding me! Done and done.

My Vive delivery is sat 20 miles away at the DHL hub, and it's a Bank Holiday here in the UK so I have to wait until tomorrow - when I'm back at work....

I wish there was more to it though, I've shown it to all people that I can, but now I'm a bit bored with the content myself :(

Really? For the amount of Dev in kits that went out there seems to be a good amount of content coming out. Heck I went out of town Friday and looking back today there seems to be 5-6 new things that popped up on steam. Not to mention some of the custom patched stuff from revive to vorpx to dolphin vr there is a lot of stuff out there.

Thrakier

Guys, my "Job Simulator" is stuttering sometimes. Ever so slight and only here and there, but noticable. Is my 2500k at 4.2 finally too weak? Most other games tend to run fine.

spekkeh

Banned
I wish there was more to it though, I've shown it to all people that I can, but now I'm a bit bored with the content myself :(
Yeah it feels a bit like those early days of the game industry, where they create simple simulations of existing games or real world situations. It's being used for its added sense of presence, and sure that's great, but it's iterative. They need to go crazy with perspectives.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Guys, my "Job Simulator" is stuttering sometimes. Ever so slight and only here and there, but noticable. Is my 2500k at 4.2 finally too weak? Most other games tend to run fine.

Is it a unity game? Tried shrinking the mirror display by alt-clicking when you launch it and lowering the resolution?

It is one of the more demanding games and I've read people with faster CPUs having problems but others not

mrklaw

MrArseFace

It's a new platform launch and a new technology too. Like any launch you'll get through the initial offering and be impatiently waiting for more stuff. But also when you buy in this early you also buy into the 'figuring it out as we go' approach to VR in general.

The negative side to that is lots of small experimental games that don't really do anything, or don't work that great in VR. The upside is lots of small experimental games and trying them all out to see what *does* work. And being pleasantly surprised by super simple things like SPT that show you don't need complexity to have good gameplay

artsi

Really? For the amount of Dev in kits that went out there seems to be a good amount of content coming out. Heck I went out of town Friday and looking back today there seems to be 5-6 new things that popped up on steam. Not to mention some of the custom patched stuff from revive to vorpx to dolphin vr there is a lot of stuff out there.

Yeah but the problem is, I can't possibly buy every small game that costs 10-30€ and keeps me interested maybe for a couple of hours each, I would be broke before the end of the week.
It would be different if they were priced like mobile apps.

Project Cars would keep me playing but the Revive functionality is broken graphics-wise, and I'm waiting for official Vive support.

DCS is another one, but it drops a lot of frames no matter the settings, so it's a pukefest.

Audioshield will be one of my favourites if they add support for manually made patterns, when it works it's awesome but most of the time I feel I'm just punching stuff randomly with some background music.

VorpX and Skyrim seems the best choice content-wise for now.
AltspaceVR is also great but it just needs more avatars, more environments/functionality and more people.

Yeah but the problem is, I can't possibly buy every small game that costs 10-30€ and keeps me interested maybe for a couple of hours each, I would be broke before the end of the week.
It would be different if they were priced like mobile apps.

Project Cars would keep me playing but the Revive functionality is broken graphics-wise, and I'm waiting for official Vive support.

DCS is another one, but it drops a lot of frames no matter the settings, so it's a pukefest.

Audioshield will be one of my favourites if they add support for manually made patterns, when it works it's awesome but most of the time I feel I'm just punching stuff randomly with some background music.

VorpX and Skyrim seems the best choice content-wise for now.
AltspaceVR is also great but it just needs more avatars, more environments/functionality and more people.

You tried Vivecraft yet? It's pretty amazing and obviously there is tons of content. A creeper snuck up on me and nearly killed me early on... I screamed like a girl lol. I was already tense because I didn't know where I would respawn or how I would get back to the awesome spot I chose to make my base at because this is the first time playing it on PC and you start off with a map on console.

The scale is amazing. It really puts everything into perspective and it has totally changed the way I mine and build things. I also laughed pretty hard the first time I saw a zombie.

artsi

You tried Vivecraft yet? It's pretty amazing and obviously there is tons of content. A creeper snuck up on me and nearly killed me early on... I screamed like a girl lol. I was already tense because I didn't know where I would respawn or how I would get back to the awesome spot I chose to make my base at because this is the first time playing it on PC and you start off with a map on console.

The scale is amazing. It really puts everything into perspective and it has totally changed the way I mine and build things. I also laughed pretty hard the first time I saw a zombie.

Yeah strangely I forgot to mention it, Vivecraft is one of the best games so far IMO. I've played Minecraft to death already so I don't play it that much anymore, but it's still a great experience with all the height differences, etc.

Loving my vive but just can't seem to get the lighthouses angled in a way that doesn't lose tracking once and awhile or line of sight with each other.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Mines being delivered to my work tomorrow and I'm off :(

Have you tried the dhl website to see if you can redirect it? I think in my 'it's being delivered' email from dhl I had the option to drop it off at my local collection point (a nearby dry cleaners for some reason)

Alternatively how far is your office? Get someone to call you when it arrives and get over there

Spookie

Folks who are getting theirs delivered this week: Check your inboxes. HTC have sent out the codes for the free games too.

Have you tried the dhl website to see if you can redirect it? I think in my 'it's being delivered' email from dhl I had the option to drop it off at my local collection point (a nearby dry cleaners for some reason)

Alternatively how far is your office? Get someone to call you when it arrives and get over there

Its my own business, on a Tuesday though I take the day off to look after my kids because of the hours I do. Im setting up a VR Suite business and the Vive actually needs to be in my office. I just hoped that on delivery day I would actually be able to start tinkering and doing the setup.

I shouldn't grumble, these are soooooo first world problems!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My GPU only has one hdmi port. I attached the Vive to the gpu and my monitor hdmi out to my onboard graphics.

When I try to set up my Vive, I get a compositor not available error. How can I solve? Is it because of the above?

Thrakier

Is it a unity game? Tried shrinking the mirror display by alt-clicking when you launch it and lowering the resolution?

It is one of the more demanding games and I've read people with faster CPUs having problems but others not

Can you elaborate on the alt-clicking?

deadfolk

I refunded The Gallery because although technically impressive, I don't think it's worth the asking price right now. Might grab it if it goes on sale later.

So...with that in mind and some dosh (still pending) in my Steam wallet...Hover Junkers: yay or nay?

I had no idea that it would be as incredible as it actually is.

I pretty much had the same experience as you never really cared about VR that much until I read some other people's experiences. Went ahead and pre-ordered the Vive without trying and was completely blown away by how amazing it is. I've tried the rift and cardboard so I had some expectation but the Vive is truly something else. This is truly the beginning of new way to consume entertainment, learn, visualize and even interact with people online.

Edit: Brookhaven isn't scary, at least not to me. The sense of presence is there for sure. You'll Dodge attacks like a mad man and will be startled but scary.. Not so much.

I refunded The Gallery because although technically impressive, I don't think it's worth the asking price right now. Might grab it if it goes on sale later.

So...with that in mind and some dosh (still pending) in my Steam wallet...Hover Junkers: yay or nay?

You'll notice that a lot of titles aren't worth the price right now. It's a cash grab for content starved early adopters

Have to agree with this sadly. The temptation is there to pick up anything but some of these "games" are really pushing it.

That's not to say there aren't quality titles out there. But the best experiences I've had thus far have come from free titles cough cough the lab.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can you elaborate on the alt-clicking?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4h529e/tip_performance_issues_in_unity_games_for_vive/

Also comment from the devs

Ensure the game preview window is as small as possible and not maximized. In order to change the window resolution, open Job Simulator on Steam and RIGHT AFTER you launch, hold Alt, and a new window will appear, letting you choose your resolution. Pick "windowed" and 640x480 to increase framerate.

SimplexPL

Have to agree with this sadly. The temptation is there to pick up anything but some of these "games" are really pushing it.

Valve is not exactly poor - I don't get they couldn't fund some of those games and sell them very cheaply so that VR is not associated with cashgrab.
Or at least forgo commission temporarily, so that every VR game is automatically 30% cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom