• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
did every step but that one, will try when I get home, thank you !

Once you do that step you will probably need to reboot or just restart ovr service with: OVRServiceLauncher -stop and OVRServiceLauncher -start in command prompt. Otherwise, you will probably get the entitlement check error.

Trouble

Banned
Curious for you guys getting Lucky's Tale to work with REVIVE hack, everytime I try to launch Luck's Tale I get "Turn on Headset" "Headset not connected" Do I need to do something special to get REVIVE to notice the HTC VIVE ?

Are you starting SteamVR first?

mr stroke

SOB now another issue: When I sit down to do seated VR my VIVE keeps losing tracking.

Can anyone tell me if I need to re calibrate and do "seated set up"? I've only been using the VIVE standing so no clue if it needs to be calibrated every time I switch from seated to standing. (Or maybe my big ass monitor is blocking one of the wall mounted light houses?)

SOB now another issue: When I sit down to do seated VR my VIVE keeps losing tracking.

Can anyone tell me if I need to re calibrate and do "seated set up"? I've only been using the VIVE standing so no clue if it needs to be calibrated every time I switch from seated to standing. (Or maybe my big ass monitor is blocking one of the wall mounted light houses?)

Where is your desk in relation to the light houses? Mine is sat directly underneath one of them in a nook-sequel area in my living room, as I realized I didn't want it taking up space in the play area. When I do seated stuff now, I just put a chair in the middle of the play space and use a controller to boot the game, or one of the Vive wands as a mouse.

You definitely don't need to re-setup the Vive to just seated, and surprisingly a lot of seated experiences can also benefit a bit from room scale. Just make sure both lighthouses can see you when you're sitting.

mr stroke

Where is your desk in relation to the light houses? Mine is sat directly underneath one of them in a nook-sequel area in my living room, as I realized I didn't want it taking up space in the play area. When I do seated stuff now, I just put a chair in the middle of the play space and use a controller to boot the game, or one of the Vive wands as a mouse.

My desk is up against a wall, One light house is up against that same wall mounted 6.5 ft up, the other is behind me and my office chair, wall mounted about 6.5 ft up. I use a massive 48inch monitor so my only idea is maybe the monitor is blocking them? but no clue :\

Apparently I wasted $40 on vorpx. Because I have no Fucking clue what I'm supposed to do to get games working. And the site sucks. I just want the steps on how I should go about things. Specifically alien isolation, fallout 4, and skyrim.

kaskade

Finally got to play a little more after a busy couple of days. Damn Space Pirate trainer is fun. I really need to get it down in the basement because I've had a few close calls. You really do forget that you are in a room.

I've got some big life things going on right now too so I've been a bit anxious. All of it kind of went away in the Vive.

Yeah that's the one. It's by him and some other people. I think it might be some of the people that made Path of Exile.

I played a couple of games and it's awesome. One of my favourite VR games so far. Lots of potential too. It can maybe do with some tweaking because it gets a bit too hectic to handle. Maybe the AI needs tweaked a bit. But it's a great idea overall. I'm sure we'll see more army men style games like this too.
Also, this game even has Temporal AA as an option as well as render scaling which makes it look pretty sharp.

Hmm...Him abandoning DayZ leaves me with little faith. I think I'll definitely wait for OoA to be a full game before a purchase.

I didn't have any issues with my X52 and I'm playing on windows 10.

I had some trouble with my X52 pro but it isn't from Windows 10. The X52 has some weird problems with some USB 3 chipsets. I had to buy a PCI-E usb expansion card for like $20 to get around this issue.

Thank you. Playing ED with an X52 and TrackIr felt immersive as hell, I can't wait to see what VR does for that.

Tadie

When I start SteamVR my wireless internet connection crashes.

Am I the only one with this problem?

I already deleted the HTC bluetooth software.

Are you using a usb wireless adapter? Vive tends to flood whatever usb controller it uses. Like all other Vive problems, I found that setting the camera to 45fps helps out with that.

Tadie

Are you using a usb wireless adapter? Vive tends to flood whatever usb controller it uses. Like all other Vive problems, I found that setting the camera to 45fps helps out with that.

Yes, I'm using an usb wireless adapter.

I already disabled the camera.

Hmm. Are they plugged into the same kind of usb port (both usb 2 or both usb 3)? In that case you could try to switch one of them over to the other type so that they don't fight for resources on the same controller.

Tadie

Hmm. Are they plugged into the same kind of usb port (both usb 2 or both usb 3)? In that case you could try to switch one of them over to the other type so that they don't fight for resources on the same controller.

Mhh I think my wireless adapater is in an USB 3.0 port and the Vive in an USB 2.0 port.

To be sure I need to check it later.

Thank you. Playing ED with an X52 and TrackIr felt immersive as hell, I can't wait to see what VR does for that.

Even with the resolution problems, the immersion is incredible. TrackIr just doesn't give you the sense of scale VR does. Actually sitting in the cockpit of your ship, looking down at your hands (if you have your x52 set up relative to the in game throttle and joystick) is amazing.

I haven't put a lot of time into it yet, but I did take my vulture for a spin last night around a space station and it was unreal. It really does improve your flying as you have a better understanding of your position and size. Can't wait until they fix it, but even so I will be playing it a lot.

Zaptruder

Banned
So I've written a paper on an immersive solution to VR traversal - which I think is pretty much, as good as it gets in your standard home VR situation, without powerful mobile VR, or jacking into a brain computer interface.

Need some feedback/proof reading on it though. Anyone wanna take a look? It's about 25 pages long, with graphics/diagrams. Will probably take an hour or so to read.

Need feedback on the writing (easy enough to understand?), graphics/diagrams (illustrates the concept adequately) and the general concept/argument as well.

PM me for a copy. Cheers.

Just demoed this for my boss, he's a headteacher of a local primary school who has always been interested in technology and VR in particular. As soon as the dinner time bell rang he was there, offering to drive us to my house so he could see it.

He was blown away, like a little kid. I think he wants to get a few sets for the school now, so I really hope developers do more with this than just games. I would like to see some experiences based on history maybe, like what it was like to stand in the Roman Colesseum, or prehistoric times watching dinosaurs roam the land. The possibilities are endless really.

Tadie

Just demoed this for my boss, he's a headteacher of a local primary school who has always been interested in technology and VR in particular. As soon as the dinner time bell rang he was there, offering to drive us to my house so he could see it.

He was blown away, like a little kid. I think he wants to get a few sets for the school now, so I really hope developers do more with this than just games. I would like to see some experiences based on history maybe, like what it was like to stand in the Roman Colesseum, or prehistoric times watching dinosaurs roam the land. The possibilities are endless really.

You need to show him Apollo 11 VR.

This was a pretty great experience :)

XShagrath

I got my Vive on Saturday and hooked it up in my office while waiting for some long cables to run it out to a larger room. I had played previously, but this was my wife's first experience. She loved the dog environment in The Lab, as well as theBlu. About four times that day, she asked if she could visit "Tuber," which is what we've now named the little dog.

Yesterday, my mom and her husband came over for Mother's Day. My mom was blown away. It really is very enjoyable to watch people experience VR for the first time. They're like children, except fully developed mentally. Basically ran her with the same stuff I demo'd for my wife, as well as TiltBrush and the Cloudlands demo. She couldn't get enough of it, and said she wanted her own, until she found out the price (including buying a high-end PC).

Last night after they left, my wife asked if she could jump in and visit Tuber again. Then she told me to leave and not watch her play, so I went back to setting up the main VR space. While I was doing that, she played through about half of the Lab games, and is now getting pretty used to the Steam interface in VR (she's not really a PC gamer that much).

Can't wait to demo it for more people, and to get some more content.

Hmm...Him abandoning DayZ leaves me with little faith. I think I'll definitely wait for OoA to be a full game before a purchase.

Yeah, VR is an incredible next step. The immersion is awesome.

I demoed the VR for a friend and I have to mirror everyone else's experience - it was so much fun seeing someone experience VR for the first time. As he is a non-gamer too, it was even more enjoyable to see.

I got my Vive on Saturday and hooked it up in my office while waiting for some long cables to run it out to a larger room. I had played previously, but this was my wife's first experience. She loved the dog environment in The Lab, as well as theBlu. About four times that day, she asked if she could visit "Tuber," which is what we've now named the little dog.

Yesterday, my mom and her husband came over for Mother's Day. My mom was blown away. It really is very enjoyable to watch people experience VR for the first time. They're like children, except fully developed mentally. Basically ran her with the same stuff I demo'd for my wife, as well as TiltBrush and the Cloudlands demo. She couldn't get enough of it, and said she wanted her own, until she found out the price (including buying a high-end PC).

Last night after they left, my wife asked if she could jump in and visit Tuber again. Then she told me to leave and not watch her play, so I went back to setting up the main VR space. While I was doing that, she played through about half of the Lab games, and is now getting pretty used to the Steam interface in VR (she's not really a PC gamer that much).

Can't wait to demo it for more people, and to get some more content.

Since showing my mum and step dad, they have been telling everyone in my family and their friends about it and suggesting they come and try it themselves. It's going to be busy in my house for a while, but I almost enjoy showing it to people more than actually playing it. It's a real rush to see their reactions.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I was wondering how long it'd take to make school-specific stuff, but you could just whack everyone into a multiplayer minecraft world and you'd be up and running really quickly. The sense of scale could be cool for group construction projects in minecraft etc.

Visualisations of historic places and events would be significantly more difficult.

XShagrath

For those of you with your lighthouses set up away from the PC, how do you handle seated games? I'm not ready for that yet (because room-scale is so amazing), but I'm sure there are some good experiences that are seated that I'd want to try eventually. Do you just grab a chair and controller and sit in the middle of the area?

Zalusithix

For those of you with your lighthouses set up away from the PC, how do you handle seated games? I'm not ready for that yet (because room-scale is so amazing), but I'm sure there are some good experiences that are seated that I'd want to try eventually. Do you just grab a chair and controller and sit in the middle of the area?

If the PC desk area isn't within the lighthouse's 120 degree laser cast, this would basically be the only option. You either move yourself to the zone, or move the zone to you - and moving the lighthouses takes much more time and effort.

XShagrath

Your wife might be doing some weird stuff to that poor dog
She's just really self conscious about looking stupid. Eventually that will change, as she watches me be an idiot more and more often.

If the PC desk area isn't within the lighthouse's 120 degree laser cast, this would basically be the only option. You either move yourself to the zone, or move the zone to you - and moving the lighthouses takes much more time and effort.
Looks like we'll do the former option once we exhaust the room-scale stuff.

Wife just had her first go on Brookhaven, she ended up screaming and ran backwards into the wall when one of those large monsters ran at her. I laughed, but then had to act concerned.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

well there is a third option - sit outside of the zone but in clear view of one of the cameras. Doesn't work if you have to turn 360 degrees, but it was useful enough for me on a few occasions - my desk is outside of my chaperone bounds but I can see one of the lighthouses.

derFeef

Wife just had her first go on Brookhaven, she ended up screaming and ran backwards into the wall when one of those large monsters ran at her. I laughed, but then had to act concerned.

Reminds me of the gif where a woman straigt up runs against a wall. It looked painful and not funny at all. It teached me to not ever let anyone play horror games alone, or the vive at all.

jaypah

Reminds me of the gif where a woman straigt up runs against a wall. It looked painful and not funny at all. It teached me to not ever let anyone play horror games alone, or the vive at all.

And that game wasn't even horror. It was Budget Cuts. Though those robots can kind of qualify if you lose track of them and turn to see them all up in your shit lol

I was curious to hear more impressions on brookhaven. It didn't have any horror effect on me, but then I'm also really not affected by horror. I'm hoping to have the chance to demo it to someone more jumpy

MaDKaT

1 weekend down and still lots of games to go. I haven't been this excited to game in what seems to be forever. Holoball and SPT are my current favorites and I keep coming back to them No real depth to either but I just can't stop playing them. Xortex is also pretty amazing. Bullet hell games in VR is something I never thought of and I want to see a lot more. Girlfriend really digs job simulator and pretty much marathoned it to completion. We both enjoyed The Blu but it certainly seems to be a bit beyond my 390 as we got some minor stuttering. Also really enjoying Holopoint but I need to learn alternate turning direction as I keep getting wrapped up in the cable. Had a blast with Budget Cuts and still need to play AudioShield. Also need to setup ReVive and try seated games. Funny enough, my original intention for VR was racing games and I have yet to try any. I just don't have any desire to sit yet, lol

OchreHand

VR is pretty addicting. My favorite so far is the Lab. Everything looks so polished. I wish there were more of it.

I think it'd be great if someone makes a bunch of VR parks / landscapes, where you can walk around or plop a bench down, and you just sit for a little while. If you had a crappy day, that'd be a great way to relax.

bj00rn_

Banned
try seated games. Funny enough, my original intention for VR was racing games

Same here. But sadly there are no really good seated VR implementations for the Vive yet. So enjoy room scale, because that's basically all you're getting anyway. After almost two weeks with the Vive the library (especially seated experiences) feels so sparse it's almost depressing. If only Assetto Corsa or Dirt Rally was out.., or if even only Elite Dangerous was a good implementation in the first place.. Well, Live for Speed is out, but I frankly don't notice much difference from the DK2 version (I may have bad memory)...

jaypah

I was curious to hear more impressions on brookhaven. It didn't have any horror effect on me, but then I'm also really not affected by horror. I'm hoping to have the chance to demo it to someone more jumpy

I find that Brookhaven is scarier when you're stressed. If someone is a good shot and can reload reliably they tend to not be as scared. I'm a bad shot which leads to me being a bad reloader (because I'm stressed at this point) which means that my crowd control is shit which means that when I turn around a zombie will likely be closer than I expected and then "OH SHIT". The element of turning around and something being there that was outside of your expectation is huge in VR. Coupled with a lower than normal peripheral vision it can have a person on edge. Tough guys, great shots and folks who go in looking to be skeptical aren't going to have the same experience. Plus some folks are disconnected, I guess. Much like I have zero effect from motion in VR. Roller Coasters, analog/digital locomotion...hell, even demos that were made to break your brain have no affect on me. I wish it did though as it means that I rarely feel like I'm in danger from heights in VR but I would LOVE to have that feeling. Walking off of Vesper Peak is one of the only things that has done it for me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
ok so audioshield is pretty good. When a song clicks its really nice. Quite often it doesn't completely click though and you're just hitting random balls. Can you browse MP3s too? It does seem like it works best with electronic music but I want to try some of my own.

I stopped after wave 2 in the Brookhaven demo as I knew I would eventually want to record it and didn't want to go through it again, but the laser sight will always be my first upgrade. I never let any zombies get close enough to attack me, but I imagine it's pretty nerve-wracking when they do. I found the whole thing to be super tense.

ok so audioshield is pretty good. When a song clicks its really nice. Quite often it doesn't completely click though and you're just hitting random balls. Can you browse MP3s too? It does seem like it works best with electronic music but I want to try some of my own.
yea you can, look left a little on the main menu

Yusaku

The Brookhaven demo was a huge hit at the party I brought the Vive to this weekend. Everyone was getting scared and freaking out. I played it for the first time as well and was just kinda 'eh' over it. It's definitely startling to turn around and see a big ass monsters behind you, but at that range it's easy to get headshots.

There was a hilarious bug when my flashlight suddenly became upside down. It wasn't a tracking issue because it was fine in the Steam menu.

Does anyone know of a way to play TF2 in vr? I recall seeing vids on youtube of someone playing as a heavy using m/kb, and being able to turn and check on his medic whilst still aiming at his target...i reeeeally wanna try this if possible..

jaypah

I stopped after wave 2 in the Brookhaven demo as I knew I would eventually want to record it and didn't want to go through it again, but the laser sight will always be my first upgrade. I never let any zombies get close enough to attack me, but I imagine it's pretty nerve-wracking when they do. I found the whole thing to be super tense.

I went with increased damage, which was probably my downfall. I think it only lasts for a certain amount of shots and since I'm still trying to get a handle on aiming it was moot. A laser will probably be a lot better for my skill set.

SimplexPL

I thought the same, but I loaded a track Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack (it was in the recommended/popular tracks) and it was surprisingly good experience, exceeded my (low) expectations.

datamage

So for Audioshield, by default it's set to 1280x720 and rendering quality is not at max. You can hit the cog in the upper right hand corner and change the settings. Might've been obvious, but I missed this at first.

On a different note, is VorpX worth it?

Don't lie, you were only concerned about the headset.

You rumbled me, luckily her head took most of the blunt force trauma.

Yeah, didn't have any effect on me, I enjoyed getting headshots, but it didn't spook me at all sadly.

Yoritomo

So for Audioshield, by default it's set to 1280x720 and rendering quality is not at max. You can hit the cog in the upper right hand corner and change the settings. Might've been obvious, but I missed this at first.

On a different note, is VorpX worth it?

I just use vorpx to play older games in 3d but in theater mode.

It's interesting but UI elements and mouse position usually have issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom