• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
In dream decks from oculus, is there a way to launch it directly to a particular demo, or control it from the host PC? I want to demo the trex and miniature city scene but don't want to explain the controls to people or grab an Xbox controller just for that

That is gloriously simple. Actually surprised neither headset has something like that built in

I read a post on reddit that toy could edit an ini file to change the order and length of each demo within dreamdeck.

On my phone so afraid I can't find/post the link.

Since the headmaster of the school I work in had a go on my Vive, he has been telling all of the teachers how amazing it is. He is going to start driving them up in pairs to my house to try it out. What have I done?

So I had a go on a Vive yesterday and I'm sold! I only played like 20 minuites of the gallery but I was instantly immersed. This tech makes "walking simulators" absolutely fascinating you just want to inspect absolutely everything.

Is safe to put down a pre-order with a debit card now after the launch shenanigans?

EDIT: also I may order it from scan or overclockers being as its a good £50 cheaper

Don't know if you're a member of the overclockers forum, but if you have a certain amount of posts you get free next day delivery on all orders, which is a very nice bonus.

I have the minimum amount of space (2m x 1.5m), however there's a ceiling light in this area that's hanging down.

Now I could remove the lampshade, but there'd still be a bulb hanging down.

Is this likely to prevent me from being able to use room-scale VR? Either by getting in the way of the sensors, or just by being a risk while playing.

I had to remove the lampshade and lightbulb in my room as it was in the way and I didn't want to be showered in glass when I eventually hit it.

Zalusithix

Cable while seated seems like more of a hassle than when I'm stood up walking around!

The Vive's back of the head cable routing is certainly more optimized for standing and roomscale play than seated play. The thick and relatively inflexible nature of the cable itself, which is a trade off for making it long enough for roomscale, just exacerbates the issue.

I have a chair with a built in headrest, so having it dangle over the back of the chair isn't a possibility. I haven't figured out a way to make completely unobtrusive yet. Then again, I'm not really focusing on seated experiences at the moment, so I haven't given it much time or thought.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is Audio Shield fixed yet or does it still crash regularly??

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Gonna requote myself, just in case anyone's interested, but missed it yesterday. Already got a bit of useful feedback, but more is appreciated.

Do you talk about directional teleportation (WASD Teleportation)? Because I am developing it and it feels like a great compromise between traditional movement and teleportation.

Cable while seated seems like more of a hassle than when I'm stood up walking around!

I've used a sofa in my room for seated experience, but kept catching the cable under my arse, and pulling the headset back!
I have to bring a chair in from another room, and even that is not great with the wires.

MaDKaT

Is Audio Shield fixed yet or does it still crash regularly?

Picked it up and played it last night several times. Crashed a couple of times but only when starting it up. Once I was in it, everything seemed fine.

Question:

From the lab tower defense archery game, is it only the one wave? I really want a lot more of that game.

Zalusithix

Picked it up and played it last night several times. Crashed a couple of times but only when starting it up. Once I was in it, everything seemed fine.

That's the current state of the game for me. Crashes once you have the game up and running are quite rare, but it can crash upon startup. Hard to really put a percent chance on the crashing. Sometimes it'll crash multiple times in a row. Sometimes it'll launch fine multiple times in a row. Either way, it only takes less than a minute to get it up and running even from a multiple crash phase. I just make sure it's up and running on the PC correctly before I head over to the play zone.

therealPeterman

Neo Member

Question:

From the lab tower defense archery game, is it only the one wave? I really want a lot more of that game.

I think there is only one wave, but if you want more archery try Holopoint.

Me and the wife had both used VR for the past 5 days so it wasn't brand new to us

Yesterday I got her into theblu for the first time with the demo and she cried inside of the headset because of how wonderful it was

She likes whales and shit so that was the perfect thing for her

so that was interesting

hodgy100

ordered. holy shit guys

HOLY SHIT

7drHiqr.gif

a purchase 6 months in "deciding phase" :p

IMACOMPUTA

Valve is sending me a new linkbox and tether loaded up with rfi chokes to attach to my current linkbox and tether.
I shall VR during the day, dammit!

Me and the wife had both used VR for the past 5 days so it wasn't brand new to us

Yesterday I got her into theblu for the first time with the demo and she cried inside of the headset because of how wonderful it was

She likes whales and shit so that was the perfect thing for her

so that was interesting
I haven't gotten any tears yet. Just a bunch of "holy shit!"

Zalusithix

Valve is sending me a new linkbox and tether loaded up with rfi chokes to attach to my current linkbox and tether.

Interesting that they're sending a new linkbox. Enhanced EMI shielding of the components within? Maybe they just wrapped the entire thing in wire mesh for a makeshift Faraday cage. ;) (Though seeing Valve's early VR endeavors, that sort of hackish prototyping seems like it might not be far off the mark.)

jaypah

The ending of Henry was.....things happen, ya know?

newsguy

My wife nearly had a panic attack just in the Steam general area when she looked up and saw earth. I was actually disappointed which I didn't expect to be. I bought the blu just for her to experience and then found out she can't have the headset on for more than 10 seconds without freaking the hell out.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I have the Vive since yesterday, and I can't try it because I'm waiting for new cards to build a PC around it.

It hurts.

CaLe

I find it really hard to adjust the headset in a manner that's both comfortable and provides clarity. It's especially problematic with Fantastic Contraptions where you often have to look down. I lose focus and as such I have to hold the headset in my hands in order to look down.

Any tips on how to wear these comfortably ?

kinggroin

Banned
Brookhaven didn't have much of an effect on me until I focused too much on one mutant, took it down, turned around and there was a mutant in my face. I was so surprised I literally fell back on my ass and dropped my gun controller. The funny part is I was playing it in front of some friends and one of them put the gun back in my hand before I got up, and I was laying there on my back taking out mutants with headshots because I hadn't quite died yet just like in a zombie movie where you trip and fall and get surrounded. It was a crazy experience.

Literally the exact same thing happened and when it was over I felt like a complete bad ass

IMACOMPUTA

Interesting that they're sending a new linkbox. Enhanced EMI shielding of the components within? Maybe they just wrapped the entire thing in wire mesh for a makeshift Faraday cage. ;) (Though seeing Valve's early VR endeavors, that sort of hackish prototyping seems like it might not be far off the mark.)
Yeah I'm not sure what it will be, but he told me it ain't pretty. Haha.

Jams775

I find it really hard to adjust the headset in a manner that's both comfortable and provides clarity. It's especially problematic with Fantastic Contraptions where you often have to look down. I lose focus and as such I have to hold the headset in my hands in order to look down.

Any tips on how to wear these comfortably ?

My tip (after going through similar stuff) is to loosen the top strap to the point where the back part is low as possible without bothering your ears. Then lock that in. After that, loosen the side straps. Look down a bit and kind of pull around the straps to where it looks clear and then tighten snug. When you look up and around and back down it should mostly stay in place.

That at least is how I got mine to adjust okay. It's still not perfect and I feel like every time I wear it I might struggle for a couple of minutes before settling. Your Head May Vary.

Yeah, looking down is a no go for me. I don't see how you could fit it in a manner where that would be a very good experience with stock straps, so for now I'll just avoid getting any game that requires you to look down a lot. Even the inventory in Vanishing Realms was a bit annoying.

Jams775

Yeah, looking down is a no go for me. I don't see how you could fit it in a manner where that would be a very good experience with stock straps, so for now I'll just avoid getting any game that requires you to look down a lot. Even the inventory in Vanishing Realms was a bit annoying.

For some reason I thought the dev fixed that in that last patch. He really should have made it a look up motion or just show/hide right in front with a button press.

datamage

Delete everything related to Audioshield in AppData and Documents. Clear out the settings files.

Fixed the constant CTDs for me when starting up.

Could explain why I haven't had any crashes yet. I just bought the game, so I haven't gone through previous versions + updates, might be leaving behind some residue.

Justin

On the Giantbomb stream Jeff mentioned using a carabiner attached to your back belt loop to run the cable though as a good method of dealing with the cable. Anyone try this? Seems like a good idea.

Zalusithix

Yeah I'm not sure what it will be, but he told me it ain't pretty. Haha.

Now my imagination is running wild with what Frankenstein device you'll end up getting lol. Assuming this does fix your issues though, it'll be interesting to see if the knowledge gained from it all is implemented in a future minor product update. A CV1.1 if you will, where minor niggles from CV1 get ironed out. In the very least, I expect CV2 will have more focus placed on EMI rejection.

CaLe

My tip (after going through similar stuff) is to loosen the top strap to the point where the back part is low as possible without bothering your ears. Then lock that in. After that, loosen the side straps. Look down a bit and kind of pull around the straps to where it looks clear and then tighten snug. When you look up and around and back down it should mostly stay in place.

That at least is how I got mine to adjust okay. It's still not perfect and I feel like every time I wear it I might struggle for a couple of minutes before settling. Your Head May Vary.

Thanks, I'll try that tonight. Right now the biggest thing hurting the experience is the loss of focus moving around and the excessive amount of cables. I can deal with the cable attached to the headset, but additional cables for headphones are a bit too much. I'll fix that by using my wireless PS4 headphones connected to my PC.

Other than that, how's Vanishing Realms in regards to wow-factor ? Is it worth the asking price ?

UnrealEck

On the Giantbomb stream Jeff mentioned using a carabiner attached to your back belt loop to run the cable though as a good method of dealing with the cable. Anyone try this? Seems like a good idea.

Why would that help though? I can't really think of how it would help. Some sort of retraction mechanism preferably on the ceiling is the only thing I can think of that would really help with the cable.

pj

Banned
Why would that help though? I can't really think of how it would help. Some sort of retraction mechanism preferably on the ceiling is the only thing I can think of that would really help with the cable.

It keeps it behind you so your arms and feet get caught on it less. People on reddit have recommended it before. Cheap plastic carabiners are like a buck so I will probably test it when I get my vive.

I tried it out last night and it's definitely better that way

CaLe

It keeps it behind you so your arms and feet get caught on it less. People on reddit have recommended it before. Cheap plastic carabiners are like a buck so I will probably test it when I get my vive.

Hmm good suggestion, I'll try that, thanks !

On another subject: I tried Project Cars last night with ReVive and while it's cool I guess.. There's a lot of visual glitches. It also feels way too pixelated / aliased for my liking. Playing driving games in VR was one of my incentive for buying the Vive, I think I'll have to wait for the devs to officially support the headset. Is it normal for the visual quality to be this low ?

Other than that, how's Vanishing Realms in regards to wow-factor ? Is it worth the asking price ?

I thought it was pretty cool. It uses the Vive to it's fullest, and is the closest thing to a conventional game fully realized in room scale that I have tried (apart from Minecraft, but that's cheating). Can't tell you if it's worth the asking price since people have wildly different ideas about what's fair pricing, but I have no regrets picking it up. It is a bit on the short side though, but devs are working on more content.

I tried it out last night and it's definitely better that way

Yup, I've been using it for awhile now as it was suggested on Reddit back near launch. My only issue was having the carabiner fall down the cord when it wasn't on someone. Solved that by taking the velcro strap off of my laptop charger and using that to keep it in the same place on the wires.

XaosWolf

Tried out the rest of the VR games I have.

Tilt Brush is fantastic in a doodly magical sort of way.

Space Pirate Trainer is cool, if a little bland. I also seem to have trouble actually aiming down the sights so instead end up relying on the laser sites or bullet streams.

Holopoint is great fun. I like it better than SPT but I think it needs a kick up the arse aesthetically.

Vanishing Realms has a fantastic sense of presence despite the cartoon aesthetic. The combat is a bit too Skyward Swordy though and easily cheesable. (Side note: Why is the title screen artwork realisticly done)

Budget Cuts Demo is amazing. First game to make me jump when I turn round to see a robot point put a gun right in my face.
Cannot wait for an expanded version of it and hopefully with workshop support.

Windlands.... Windlands makes me fall over. =P
Unplayable in a standing space for me and I hate all the controls for Seated mode.

Tain

a little sore after getting my Vive yesterday.

I was really disappointed that some long-ass cables I bought to put between the HMD box and my PC didn't work. I guess there's too much HDMI length there, but I was a little surprised at all the USB issues I had as well.

I'll try finding smaller (yet still longer than default) cables, as it's pretty vital for my setup.

wonderpug

Neo Member
a little sore after getting my Vive yesterday.

I was really disappointed that some long-ass cables I bought to put between the HMD box and my PC didn't work. I guess there's too much HDMI length there, but I was a little surprised at all the USB issues I had as well.

I'll try finding smaller (yet still longer than default) cables, as it's pretty vital for my setup.

FWIW, I bought these 10 foot cables based on a recommendation on the oculus subreddit and they've been working fine so far for my Rift:

HDMI
USB 3.0

RedFox85

Finished vanishing realms last night at like 106 minutes. There will be more content to come but this is really short for the cost. The experience was fun, it was really neat being inside of a dungeon and I like the ideas the game has but I have a few problems with it. For starters the combat in the game is just.. not good. Allot of the time in melee the targets will clip into your body (especially problematic during the last boss) which also results in you being able to score extremely lazy and cheap hits. The archery didn't feel as good as something like holopoint with arrows falling short on full pulls way before they seem like they should. All in all the game is neat but I can't really say it's worth the asking price as it stands currently, the dev has allot of work left to do. Maybe it's just me but I also was annoyed that it felt like ranged enemies were shooting projectiles not just at what I can move but into appendages I have 0 control over. There were several times I took an arrow to the knee or an arm.. I feel like if you are going to have projectiles fly at the player they almost always need to fly toward something they have full control over, it makes the dodge mechanic feel more genuine and less like a roulette wheel.

I really hope they can figure out the melee combat though as I can honestly say the idea of fighting these creatures in 1 : 1 melee is exciting until you actually try it. I would also say that replacing the "floating blue ball" with a gloved/gauntlet (maybe let the player choose?) hand would be a bit better - but this is just my personal opinion.

Tain

FWIW, I bought these 10 foot cables based on a recommendation on the oculus subreddit and they've been working fine so far for my Rift:

HDMI
USB 3.0

Awesome, ordered. Thanks.

RedFox85 said:
I really hope they can figure out the melee combat though as I can honestly say the idea of fighting these creatures in 1 : 1 melee is exciting until you actually try it.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by it from my brief time with it. I think some of the praise is hyperbole, but the act of physically blocking with your sword is pretty satisfying so far and attacking exposed points works well. Most of the problems I'm seeing (too basic, weird animations, etc) seem like things that could be improved in future implementations.

UnrealEck

I might try it with a key ring. I guess any way of clipping it to your belt would work.
My play space isn't that big so I don't find myself tangling the cable. My cable is even still slightly coiled from the way it came out the box.

I was about to buy Vanishing Realms but I held off because I had a feeling it wouldn't be worth it. Too short like everything else.
This is one of the problems with VR games. There's not a big enough market for developers to invest in making bigger games. Right now a lot of it is just utter trash college projects or games that are kinda cool but you put them down after a couple of games and come back occasionally.

Maybe when Sony's headset comes out too and more Rifts are shipped we'll see more games. I just hope they bring them to Vive because a lot of them will likely be funded by Facebook and Sony.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I might try it with a key ring. I guess any way of clipping it to your belt would work.
My play space isn't that big so I don't find myself tangling the cable. My cable is even still slightly coiled from the way it came out the box.

I liked the idea of a carabiner plus bungee hook to hold the cable in place. Then you could arrange it so the cable from the head to your waist was slack, reducing the pull on your head.

I haven't even finished Vanishing Realms and I thought it was worth the price. Maybe I bought in to the combat more than others though since I love it.

IMACOMPUTA

Vanishing realms is the only game I've played and at one point thought "holy fuck... This seems real". (Actually theblu - the deep had the same effect)
Yeah, the art style is cartoony, and I was in a really dark area (the darker, the better for it to look real), but it was a really cool feeling.
The game is well worth the price for a taste of what a real game on the vive is like.

datamage

Vanishing realms is the only game I've played and at one point thought "holy fuck... This seems real". (Actually theblu - the deep had the same effect)
Yeah, the art style is cartoony, and I was in a really dark area (the darker, the better for it to look real), but it was a really cool feeling.
The game is well worth the price for a taste of what a real game on the vive is like.

I have yet to finish it, and I've loved what I've played so far. I got up to
where you can purchase a bow.

I know some of these experiences are kinda short, and maybe overpriced, but think of how much you would have spent if you were going to an arcade or some sort of theme park to experience this stuff. I know it's apples and oranges, but this is what it feels like to me. An experience that's totally new and typically wouldn't have been experienced or even possible at home. I feel that's worth the price of admission.

Tain

I really hope Space Pirate Trainer gets all the updates the devs are promising. Bosses, environments, and more enemy types/formations all well-arranged into a 25-minute loop would probably make SPT the first great fleshed-out VR arcade game.

It's already solid, but we could go from Galaga to Xevious here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom