• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tain

Have they really said that? That would be amazing!

From their Early Access blurb:
“We'll be improving the overall graphics, adding boss fights, more environments, gun types, space pirate goodies, enemies and strategies. We'll add achievements and other social features, and last but not least we're investigating a possibility for co-op play; Space Pirates, back to back against an army of droids.”

The 25-minute arcade game loop thing is my own personal hope.

parabolee

Had a huge issue last night out of nowhere. Tried to play last night and first it took a while to see my base stations, had to unplug them and plug them back in.

No biggie but after that when it launched Steam VR it had no options for Steam or Desktop. Which was odd, it just had Vive Home and my list of games. Tried to launch a game and it just sits there saying "Launching".

Took off the Vive to check my desktop and see a "!" next the the HUD, right click it and it says "Steam not detected: Make sure steam is running". OF course this is IN Steam VR! So Steam is obviously running! Tried rebooting, reinstalling Steam VR and reconnecting the headset a few times.

Eventually gave up and went to bed as it was late by then (wasted a few hours trying to get it working).

Anyone have any ideas what I need to do to fix this BS?

deadfolk

From their Early Access blurb:

The 25-minute arcade game loop thing is my own personal hope.

Nice! I had never noticed that. It's already one of my favorite VR games, and these changes would make it even better.

Has anyone seen any concrete information regarding what is going to be in the full version of The Brookhaven Experiment beyond
The full version will bring new gameplay, modes, weapons, locations and more to your HTC Vive late this spring.
?

I'm trying to decide whether to grab it while it's still only €15. I have a little dosh in my Steam wallet, and unless I'm missing something there's nothing else coming worth using it on in the next short while.

Had a huge issue last night out of nowhere. Tried to play last night and first it took a while to see my base stations, had to unplug them and plug them back in.

No biggie but after that when it launched Steam VR it had no options for Steam or Desktop. Which was odd, it just had Vive Home and my list of games. Tried to launch a game and it just sits there saying "Launching".

Took off the Vive to check my desktop and see a "!" next the the HUD, right click it and it says "Steam not detected: Make sure steam is running". OF course this is IN Steam VR! So Steam is obviously running! Tried rebooting, reinstalling Steam VR and reconnecting the headset a few times.

Eventually gave up and went to bed as it was late by then (wasted a few hours trying to get it working).

No suggestions on how to fix it, but it is possible for SteamVR to be running without Steam - it's just an app. I have had this happen when Steam has crashed, but SteamVR remains running.

parabolee

No suggestions on how to fix it, but it is possible for SteamVR to be running without Steam - it's just an app. I have had this happen when Steam has crashed, but SteamVR remains running.

Interesting. I think I will try and reinstall the Vive software next. It's a very odd and annoying bug, because Steam was 100% running every time I was getting this issue.

deadfolk

Interesting. I think I will try and reinstall the Vive software next. It's a very odd and annoying bug, because Steam was 100% running every time I was getting this issue.

You don't need the Vive software. You can safely uninstall that. Possibly it's needed for bluetooth, but I'm not sure - perhaps someone else can chime in. I'm not using bt myself.

You don't need the Vive software. You can safely uninstall that. Possibly it's needed for bluetooth, but I'm not sure - perhaps someone else can chime in. I'm not using bt myself.

If you mean the HTC software, then no. The bluetooth still works without it. I uninstalled it the minute my Vive was set up.

cheezcake

Set my Vive up today, proceeded to play it for 3 hours and only stopped because I didn't have dinner and it was almost midnight.

Audioshield is SO GOOD, Xortex needs to be made into a full fledged game or we need someone else to make an awesome bullet hell game, the whole thing is just insanely awesome.

My gripes so far would be:

SteamVR needs improvement
The sweet spot is smaller than I'd like
Job Simulator was dissapointing

But overall, VR is the future and there's no doubt about it, its here to stay.

Didn't know there was a boss in Holopoint. It's not that involved, but it was a nice surprise. That's the one game I keep coming back to.

parabolee

Interesting. Is is not that software that includes "Vive Home"? Not that I care or want to use that at all since Steam VR does a better job.

Guess I will try just uninstalling that then. Thanks

derFeef

Minecraft in the Vive is uncanny.

Its difficult to explain. Everything have a "size" now.

The mountains are immense, the blocks, crates and the pigs... I can't kill the pigs anymore.

Wtf is this !?

First game I wanna try when I have some more free time. Do texture mods still work?

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog

choose reboot headset from devices menu in steam VR options.

Onemic

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So copies of portal stories:VR seem to have been provided to youtubers. Brad Lynch does a play though here http://youtu.be/tt8CfP7JRXs

could be considered spoilers as he does a full play through. there isn't any plot but you might not want to see solutions to the puzzles.

I'm still looking forward to this, but I'm very disappointed in how different it is. It still has the portal theming, but it seems to have nothing in common with portal stories:Mel, other than the elevator ride which is a bonus bit in this game. It is just a series of portal puzzles but with no portals. That might be understandable given motion sickness concerns, but I'm really not surprised they changed the name because this is barely any more than a demo - seems about 20 minutes long.

spannicus

So copies of portal stories:VR seem to have been provided to youtubers. Brad Lynch does a play though here http://youtu.be/tt8CfP7JRXs

could be considered spoilers as he does a full play through. there isn't any plot but you might not want to see solutions to the puzzles.

I'm still looking forward to this, but I'm very disappointed in how different it is. It still has the portal theming, but it seems to have nothing in common with portal stories:Mel, other than the elevator ride which is a bonus bit in this game. It is just a series of portal puzzles but with no portals. That might be understandable given motion sickness concerns, but I'm really not surprised they changed the name because this is barely any more than a demo - seems about 20 minutes long.
I would hope that Valve are making content for the Vive instead of just the lab. The best looking content for the system is the Lab imo. Did they say they are working on some games or are they leaving others to supply them?

Evo X

Are there any racing games with official Vive support yet?

The Rift has Project Cars and I just heard they are getting Dirt Rally support as well in the next patch.

Trouble

Banned

The Rift has Project Cars and I just heard they are getting Dirt Rally support as well in the next patch.

The only racing game that matters has beta support.

Euro Truck Simulator 2

Helznicht

PC Dev says they are getting close to having official Vive support (you can play it through revive now).

Dirt Rally has been silent (unfortunate since they got a lot of support from Steam through early access) woudl hate to see them turn their back on thier fans who supported them early (like myself).

Cru

PC Dev says they are getting close to having official Vive support (you can play it through revive now).

Dirt Rally has been silent (unfortunate since they got a lot of support from Steam through early access) woudl hate to see them turn their back on thier fans who supported them early (like myself).

Dirt Rally guys went from no plans at this time to we're looking into it.

Plasmid

Ordered on 4/27. This wait is unbearable. I've got my whole setup ready except for the headset itself.

Did anyone have to remove any ceiling fans for their setup? My roof is only 7.5 ft high.

Samaritan

Just received my shipping notification from HTC! (March 26th, US order)

So I'm starting to set things up and get my room in order so that everything is ready to go once my Vive gets here. Is there an ideal "sweet spot" height for where you mount your Lighthouses? Obviously you want them above your head, but is there a point where they become too high up? I have 10' ceilings in the room I plan on using for room scale, so I can theoretically place them real high up.

XShagrath

Did anyone have to remove any ceiling fans for their setup? My roof is only 7.5 ft high.
I had some problems in my office and had to move them down just slightly below the fan. Didn't have any issues after that. Now I have it set up in another room with the lighthouses mounted at 7 ft, which is lower than the fan in that room.

Ordered on 4/27. This wait is unbearable. I've got my whole setup ready except for the headset itself.

I had to remove a ceiling light because people kept hitting it while playing SPT. Other than that there aren't a lot of games that demand you swing your hands around above your head.

Odrion

Banned

That is beyond fucked up. Well, fucking ME up. Feel free to be apathetic or supportive of it Valve fans.

I might actually just sell my Vive now because investing $900 into Valve's hands-of libertarian approach to things is now looking like a very very very bad idea to me.

viveks86

WTF. Audioshield has started crashing after every song!!!

Is there any known fix?

EDIT: Switching to "bleeding edge" beta seems to have fixed it. I think

That is beyond fucked up. Well, fucking ME up. Feel free to be apathetic or supportive of it Valve fans.

I might actually just sell my Vive now because investing $900 into Valve's hands-of libertarian approach to things is now looking like a very very very bad idea to me.

How so? I don't really see the problem. If the game is on Steam, the dev of said game is very likely to put Vive support in at some point. Considering Rift development technically started years ago, this situation was an inevitability.

Haint

Got one on 9' ceilings, hit it several times, bruised my finger pretty good, have come within inches of shattering the glass sconces/bulbs. Haven't even turned on the fan part in probably 7 years, going to remove it and put up a flush light fixture.

MrMephistoX

Just tried VIVE and Occulus side by side today at work: wow HTC built the superior experience. Not buying one just yet but Occulus is just not as high fidelity an experience.

Korezo

Just received my shipping notification from HTC! (March 26th, US order)

So I'm starting to set things up and get my room in order so that everything is ready to go once my Vive gets here. Is there an ideal "sweet spot" height for where you mount your Lighthouses? Obviously you want them above your head, but is there a point where they become too high up? I have 10' ceilings in the room I plan on using for room scale, so I can theoretically place them real high up.

I broke the chandelier in the living room by walking into it with my face because it was not removable, now it's removed and the living room has no light.

Anyway how do I get the vive to work with rift apps?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How so? I don't really see the problem. If the game is on Steam, the dev of said game is very likely to put Vive support in at some point. Considering Rift development technically started years ago, this situation was an inevitability.

Yeah the availability of oculus tools should make nobody surprised when games have oculus support before vive. Luckily if the oculus support is good, a lot of the hard work is done in terms of adjusting for the needs of VR, so hopefully a vive version isn't far behind.

taco543

Got my shipment email. Says will be in this Friday!!!!!!!!!

atpthrd.gif

derFeef

Mine is now ready for pickup, will get it tomorrow and play on Saturday at the earliest. Will be werid since my GF has no interest (yet?) in this kind of stuff and I am going to need to setup everything in frnt of her and try it for the first time. Hopefully everything works :)

PARANO1A

Open marketplaces are better for customers. I think it's fantastic over the closed approach. Look at the fragmentation starting to occur with games available on both stores.., this shouldn't be an issue.

Mikeside

if an oculus only game gets some heat on steam, there's more chance of it eventually coming to vive than if it's only getting sold on the oculus store

Metal B

After a week with my Vive and showing it of at two parties , i can say the device and VR is just fantastic. But there is still some problems, which become major over time.

Technially building up the Vive wasn't as hard and it actually becomes easier every time, but at my first time setting it up, it gave me unnecessary headaches for stupid reasons. It would register everything fine, but not while setting up the virtual room and i had no idea why for an hour. Finally i figured out, that because of my windows user name (i have a umlaut in my name), Steam could not find all of the files for Steam VR. What is very strange, because i don't have any problems with Stream normally. How do we still have this problem in 2016?

Finally entering VR was an amazing experience. You could make out so many details and the screen-door effect isn't as problematic as i thought. The element of scale and presence is just overwhelming and you never can get enough of it. In one instance i was able to talk my self into not jumping over an edge, since it felt too real. A true new world of interactivity.
The second important impressive element of the Vive are the motion-controls. Playing games with movement just feels super immersive. You just feel like a badass shooting weapons, look around corners or kill people with bows. Valves system with the lighthouse is super accurate and simply perfect. I can't believe, why Oculus missed out on it !?
The controller are great and i guess, only misses a good big button on the center (like the Wiimote). Teleporting also works great as a locomotion tool, especially if you jump from one interaction zone to another.

But after a week you notice the small problems. Finding the sweet spot can be annoying and you sometimes have to preposition the headset after looking down too much. It also gets heavier and tighter every time you wear it, so i needed to make a break from the Vive yesterday. The blurriness and low resolution are sometimes emerging breaking, especially if elements are far in the distance or are smaller text. I also always need to move my PC for a bigger room scale (i still didn't used the 1.5x2m room in my workroom, since i still use the 3x4m space in the living room) and i wish, i could simply use extension cables.

All in all i could life with the FOV and Motion Controls for now and would love Valve and HTC to focus on improve the given elements for there next version: Less blurry images with new lenses, allowing longer cables with repeaters and a more comfortable solution to wear the headset and finding your sweet spot (and of course a smaller price).
Also we need more input devices and options. I hope, after shipping enough Vives, HTC will produce more sensors for consumers and third parties. We need options to get our feet and hips into the game. So many players tried to kick objects in the ground and it would help, postilion our self on the ground. Besides our bodies, new controllers types (like long range weapons) and neutral sensors to register real-life objects (like chairs and tables) could create so much new interactions and experiences, i can not wait to explore. This is truly the beginning of a new era!

You're selling your Vive because there are Oculus games on Steam? I don't understand the logic of that at all.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Open marketplaces are better for customers. I think it's fantastic over the closed approach. Look at the fragmentation starting to occur with games available on both stores.., this shouldn't be an issue.

I fully agree with this. Steam not selling Oculus exclusive games would be as bad as Oculus buying exclusivity and not allowing Vive on their store. The competition should be done through other meanings, not these.

Mikeside

I fully agree with this. Steam not selling Oculus exclusive games would be as bad as Oculus buying exclusivity and not allowing Vive on their store. The competition should be done through other meanings, not these.

Yep
The competition should be about which device is 'better', or which people want to buy, not arbitrary limitations on what you can play on which device and where you'd need to buy it. That's how healthy competition will bloom which will result in better devices being developed by all parties. Otherwise Oculus, HTC and whoever else is making these things can just sit back and say "so what if our screens are worse, it's not like they can play our incredibly hyped game VR Pillow Party 4 on anything else"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom