• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggroin

Banned
Finished vanishing realms last night at like 106 minutes. There will be more content to come but this is really short for the cost. The experience was fun, it was really neat being inside of a dungeon and I like the ideas the game has but I have a few problems with it. For starters the combat in the game is just.. not good. Allot of the time in melee the targets will clip into your body (especially problematic during the last boss) which also results in you being able to score extremely lazy and cheap hits. The archery didn't feel as good as something like holopoint with arrows falling short on full pulls way before they seem like they should. All in all the game is neat but I can't really say it's worth the asking price as it stands currently, the dev has allot of work left to do. Maybe it's just me but I also was annoyed that it felt like ranged enemies were shooting projectiles not just at what I can move but into appendages I have 0 control over. There were several times I took an arrow to the knee or an arm.. I feel like if you are going to have projectiles fly at the player they almost always need to fly toward something they have full control over, it makes the dodge mechanic feel more genuine and less like a roulette wheel.

I really hope they can figure out the melee combat though as I can honestly say the idea of fighting these creatures in 1 : 1 melee is exciting until you actually try it. I would also say that replacing the "floating blue ball" with a gloved/gauntlet (maybe let the player choose?) hand would be a bit better - but this is just my personal opinion.

Funny, I actually found the combat to be absolutely engrossing.

Yeah, you can really cheese it if you like, but the way the enemies' swords deflect off yours or how shields do the same, made me want to follow the rules and work in parries, look for openings, deflect attacks and such rather than clipping inside them.

But agreed, there is definitely work to be done before the potential is fully realized

spannicus

I feel like Raw Data is probably the next biggest game. As far as near future stuff, I'm also looking forward to Pool Nation VR and Edge of Nowhere.
With Oculus publishing, im not sure we'll get the insomniac games. Might be with revive but i hear thats sometimes choppy. Would have bought the climb already but dont feel like spending 50 bucks to fiddle with files.
Hope Valve puts out something, or we see a few meatier titles on the way.

King_Moc

Banned
I feel like Raw Data is probably the next biggest game. As far as near future stuff, I'm also looking forward to Pool Nation VR and Edge of Nowhere.

Pool Nation looks pretty good. It'd be very interesting to try a vr pool implementation, as theoretically it should climb one of the main hurdles these games have always had - 3d aiming and head tracking.

Does it give the option to teleport for a spot if your space isn't quite pool table sized? I've got about 3m x 2.5m here.

Pool Nation looks pretty good. It'd be very interesting to try a vr pool implementation, as theoretically it should climb one of the main hurdles these games have always had - 3d aiming and head tracking.

Does it give the option to teleport for a spot if your space isn't quite pool table sized? I've got about 3m x 2.5m here.

The great thing is that if you have a big table, you can lean against it in VR. Best of both worlds without pissing off the wife! xD

Compsiox

Banned
"What's the next big game?"

Personally pretty excited for Pool Nation VR. First room-scale game that looks to be more than just a tech demo.

It'd have to be Budget Cuts and Raw Data for me as of right now. I hope that some unexpected gem randomly comes about ala Vanishing Realms.

"Does it give the option to teleport for a spot if your space isn't quite pool table sized? I've got about 3m x 2.5m here."

There's teleportation shown in the video on the Steam page, so unless that's changed (and I don't see why it would) there is teleportation.

"It'd have to be Budget Cuts "

Budget Cuts is awesome but is literally just a demo for now. Haven't gotten a chance to try Raw Data.

With Oculus publishing, im not sure we'll get the insomniac games. Might be with revive but i hear thats sometimes choppy. Would have bought the climb already but dont feel like spending 50 bucks to fiddle with files.
Hope Valve puts out something, or we see a few meatier titles on the way.
Oh yeah it'll be exclusive but Revive has been working great for me. I've been playing through Chronos the last couple of days for example. As far as file fiddling goes, it's extremely light and totally worth the trouble if there's something you're interested in that's never going to be "ported". It's literally a couple of files you drop in an easy to find folder. The next version of Revive is even adding direct from SteamVr launching to make everything even easier.

Oh yeah it'll be exclusive but Revive has been working great for me. I've been playing through Chronos the last couple of days for example. As far as file fiddling goes, it's extremely light and totally worth the trouble if there's something you're interested in that's never going to be "ported". It's literally a couple of files you drop in an easy to find folder. The next version of Revive is even adding direct from SteamVr launching to make everything even easier.

Until the dicks at Facebook and Oculus break functionality. I know it still works on some titles, but I wouldn't put it past them.

spannicus

Thanks. May give revive a go.

Until the dicks at Facebook and Oculus break functionality. I know it still works on some titles, but I wouldn't put it past them.
It works on MOST titles now. I'm still not convinced Oculus is going to actively break functionality, but we'll see. It will and has naturally happened just from regular game updates but that's inevitable and the Revive dev(s) had it working again within a few days.

That said, I'm not buying anything on Home that has any chance of coming to Vive.

Minecraft in the Vive is uncanny.

Its difficult to explain. Everything have a "size" now.

The mountains are immense, the blocks, crates and the pigs... I can't kill the pigs anymore.

Wtf is this !?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Minecraft in the Vive is uncanny.

Its difficult to explain. Everything have a "size" now.

The mountains are immense, the blocks, crates and the pigs... I can't kill the pigs anymore.

Wtf is this !?

Probably posted somewhere else, but where do I buy Minecraft VR?

I haven't played Minecraft since the early alpha, but this sounds cool.

jaypah

Just thought about this; we've had our Vive for a week now. Was I supposed to update firmware on anything? Controllers, HMD or Lighthouse?

Vrolik

7uSWGRS.gif

Did some testing last night

I'm kind of tempted to buy Minecraft but I've never played it and I'm not sure if I'd actually be in to it. None of the numerous videos I've seen of it (before VR) has ever made it look that interesting to me.

I got in the pool nation beta and just tried it first time, so much fun. Real world skills absolutely seem to carry over with their physics model, I still suck lol. The sandbox aspect with all the beer bottles, dice, and what have you is fun to mess with on the table, creating as much chaos on it as possible xD

Can't wait to see it grow more in features, they could really do a bunch more bar games. I want shuffleboard next!

UnrealEck

Some videos for VR are terrible. They're shot way above the floor making it seem weird or they're shot in such a way that you feel absolutely tiny, like an ant floating in the air.
But it's kind of nice to finally get an idea of what it's like to have a dozen female models around you.

On the Giantbomb stream Jeff mentioned using a carabiner attached to your back belt loop to run the cable though as a good method of dealing with the cable. Anyone try this? Seems like a good idea.
look down to know how much slack you need then make a U shape out of the cord and slide it through a belt loop or tuck it down your pants.

it makes a BIG difference.

look down to know how much slack you need then make a U shape out of the cord and slide it through a belt loop or tuck it down your pants.

it makes a BIG difference.

I'm wearing pajamas right now so I had to mimic this with my hand. Yeah it's a big difference. It almost feels wireless if you are just standing up.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It is very awesome, though even with the small controllers I felt like Kramer and Frank Costanza bumping into shit with them trying to line up shots :p

ja3dV8L.gif
This is hilarious and exactly the situation I imagined for my tiny play area. Teleporting sounds interesting but a possible pain. It would be cool if I had a big enough space to walk around the entire pool table.

With Oculus publishing, im not sure we'll get the insomniac games.

The thing that bothers me about the oculus funded games is that the developers seem to forget that they are making PC games, so you are usually forced to use an xbox controller - something I almost never do in games that give me a choice.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The thing that bothers me about the oculus funded games is that the developers seem to forget that they are making PC games, so you are usually forced to use an xbox controller - something I almost never do in games that give me a choice.

The giantbomb UPF segment showing VR Doom on the rift shows why devs probably don't offer a mouse and keyboard option - you can't find them

Well Rift comes with an Xbox controller and so far all of the games would be worse using a keyboard since they use the analogue stick.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
With Revive I'd have a camera if I managed to forget how the space I spend most of my life at looks like.

True - but your comment was about oculus developers forcing Xbox controller use. They would be expecting oculus rift owners to play their games, and they don't have a camera. They wouldn't have planned for vive users playing with a hack.

True - but your comment was about oculus developers forcing Xbox controller use. They would be expecting oculus rift owners to play their games, and they don't have a camera. They wouldn't have planned for vive users playing with a hack.

Yeah. I get why it is like that, but it would be nice to have the option like every other PC game made. It's just another of those things where the Oculus experience seems to be about shipping a closed platform that runs on top of an open one. The lack of customization and options is actually a major reason for why I ultimately ended up going with SteamVR only.

Do you use a keyboard and mouse? I'd imagine that is quite hard in vr

With Revive I'd have a camera if I managed to forget how the space I spend most of my life at looks like.
Even with a camera, a keyboard would be terrible as a controller. If you lose your natural position on the keyboard (I appreciate some people won't but many easily could), do you have to keep switching to the camera to get your bearings? That sounds pretty terrible.
There's a good reason the Rift comes with a controller - for games that don't need motion controls it's a much better controller than a keyboard because your fingers can't get lost. You can also move the controller around as you turn, despite being seated things like The Climb still require a bit of movement which could easily take you away from the keyboard.

Do you use a keyboard and mouse? I'd imagine that is quite hard in vr

Most of the stuff I play is roomscale or driving simulators with a wheel at this point. I do use my mouse to navigate the interface of Euro Truck just fine though. I don't see why it would not be a good way to control something like Defense Grid, Farlands or Vanishing of Ethan Carter as well. For the latter, I can't imagine it being any more unsettling than using a controller in that game already is.

Even with a camera, a keyboard would be terrible as a controller. If you lose your natural position on the keyboard (I appreciate some people won't but many easily could), do you have to keep switching to the camera to get your bearings? That sounds pretty terrible.
Losing my bearings on a keyboard is as likely as losing it on a controller at this point.
There's a good reason the Rift comes with a controller - for games that don't need motion controls it's a much better controller than a keyboard because your fingers can't get lost. You can also move the controller around as you turn, despite being seated things like The Climb still require a bit of movement which could easily take you away from the keyboard.
Not arguing against having the controller there in the first place. I would just like the option to use kbm in games where that makes sense.

deadfolk

I really hope Space Pirate Trainer gets all the updates the devs are promising. Bosses, environments, and more enemy types/formations all well-arranged into a 25-minute loop would probably make SPT the first great fleshed-out VR arcade game.

It's already solid, but we could go from Galaga to Xevious here.

Have they really said that? That would be amazing!

I got in the pool nation beta and just tried it first time, so much fun. Real world skills absolutely seem to carry over with their physics model, I still suck lol. The sandbox aspect with all the beer bottles, dice, and what have you is fun to mess with on the table, creating as much chaos on it as possible xD

Can't wait to see it grow more in features, they could really do a bunch more bar games. I want shuffleboard next!

I never got into the beta. I really want to try it. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom