• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
What I have been working on.

https://youtu.be/uMC23XTw4-U

UE4 gun manipulation. I am also trying to work through the kinks of directional teleportation, should have a video about it up soon (as well as my version of hover junkers style movement).

UE4 gun manipulation. I am also trying to work through the kinks of directional teleportation, should have a video about it up soon (as well as my version of hover junkers style movement).

literally what the H3 guy did then he released it as a game.

so as an idiot, how can I use UE4? It's free right? can I just download it and start making cool stuff like you are?

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
literally what the H3 guy did then he released it as a game.

so as an idiot, how can I use UE4? It's free right? can I just download it and start making cool stuff like you are?

Well yeah :p. He is using unity though. Also, I can guarantee he doesn't do firing like I do. This is going to be an asset on the Unreal Marketplace that anyone can make a game out of. It will cover realistic weapons (H3) and unrealistic (Hover Junkers, Brookhaven). We also plan on making our own game using these mechanics eventually.

To answer your question, yes UE4 is free. Just download and start learning!

jaypah

Anyone try the Chrysalis Pyramid demo? It's a cool concept where you're walking on to platforms that then transports (not teleports) you to other platforms. You have to occasionally dodge stuff along the way while riding on platforms. It's really trippy and the only VR game to confuse my brain. Stepping on some of the platforms made me wobble as if I could feel the acceleration, but in a good way. I was smiling the whole time. Just Google Chrysalis Pyramid Reddit to find the Reddit thread with the download link.

XShagrath

So my play area is just 2,2m x 2,3m.

I think it should be enough.

Some games need a little more (Sisters requires 3m x 3m). I currently don't have that, but we're getting rid of some furniture soon (just a lucky coincidence), and I'll probably have close to 4m x 5m or something around that. Really looking forward to that, as I have my chaperone walls come up pretty often right now.

VR Pong is damn polished. Having a blast with it.
Agreed. That and Audioshield are my go-to games to play right before I go shower.

Some games need a little more (Sisters requires 3m x 3m). I currently don't have that, but we're getting rid of some furniture soon (just a lucky coincidence), and I'll probably have close to 4m x 5m or something around that. Really looking forward to that, as I have my chaperone walls come up pretty often right now.

Agreed. That and Audioshield are my go-to games to play right before I go shower.
my living room is so small....I wish I could ever get that much space in this house.

Never thought I would be wishing I bought a bigger house considering I live alone

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I'm downloading (and soon VPN unlocking) the new Doom now. I really hope it plays well with VorpX. I had a lot of fun with the DOOM 3 BFG edition on the DKs, though that was implemented by Carmack.

It makes me a bit sad that Bethesda and Carmack had that rift (har har) because that kind of canned the official VR support. Even 1.3 support would have been fine with me so we could try to use Revive.

I'll let you know how it goes.

charpunk

I'm downloading (and soon VPN unlocking) the new Doom now. I really hope it plays well with VorpX. I had a lot of fun with the DOOM 3 BFG edition on the DKs, though that was implemented by Carmack.

It makes me a bit sad that Bethesda and Carmack had that rift (har har) because that kind of canned the official VR support. Even 1.3 support would have been fine with me so we could try to use Revive.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Do you want to vomit everywhere?

Odrion

Banned
Open marketplaces are better for customers. I think it's fantastic over the closed approach. Look at the fragmentation starting to occur with games available on both stores.., this shouldn't be an issue.

But Valve IS fragmenting a marketplace with this: Their own.

It's like buying a $900 PS4 and not having any good exclusives, then you see Sony themselves starting to sell Halo and Forza.

It makes keeping track of Vive games on Steam even more complicated, and it looks like a bad Omen from a company whose approach to their hardware seem very uninvested. Remember Steam Machines?

vermadas

But Valve is fragmenting their own marketplace with this.

It's like buying a $900 PS4 and not having any good exclusives, then you see Sony themselves starting to sell Halo and Forza.

Valve cares more about making sure their store the primary place PC gamers go to buy VR content (like it already is for flatscreen games) than they do about selling Vives.

But Valve is fragmenting their own marketplace with this.

Except Valve's main product is the Steam store and their platform is 100% PC (whereas Sony's platform would be the PS4). All the games sold on Steam work on PC. It's really no different than the fact that some games have controller support and some don't except the fact that Valve is backing a controller (ie the headset). In the end, they don't care what headset you use. The whole point is to get you to buy games off their store. That's why they're extremely open with this stuff.

CaLe

I reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllly hope Dirt gets Vive Support. Like. Really.

Please. Please ?

Looks great. Might give it a go myself, either in Unreal or Unity. One thing I had in mind was a peaceful farming simulator. I want to relax in VR :)

datamage

I'm currently going DVI->HDMI to the Vive's link box. Would there be any advantage in going from DP->MiniDP? DisplayPort offers more bandwidth, would it matter in this case?

Isomac

Minecraft feels pretty great with this. The block is like size of my table. It feels good to walk around a bit. I was really impressed! I just need to see why my controllers didn't work fine. Maybe something crashed since those didn't work in the lab either.

Minecraft feels pretty great with this. The block is like size of my table. It feels good to walk around a bit. I was really impressed! I just need to see why my controllers didn't work fine. Maybe something crashed since those didn't work in the lab either.

Also, dont open it thru steam, this causes severe lag.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
But Valve IS fragmenting a marketplace with this: Their own.

It makes keeping track of Vive games on Steam even more complicated, and it looks like a bad Omen from a company whose approach to their hardware seem very uninvested. Remember Steam Machines?

never know valve might say fuck it and put out the next half life or portal as vr only lets see how the future plays out

Tadie

Okay, this cable mod works great!

http://techblog.steelseries.com/2016/05/11/ikeasavedmefromdyinginvr.html

img_0999p5s8z.jpg

So I installed a headset holder.....

img_10028hs0p.jpg

img_1003bdsci.jpg

So my study room is officially pimped ;)

img_1004s3sp8.jpg

So how hard would it be to make a simple VR game using Unreal 4 assuming I have zero experience coding or making games? Is it even worth bothering with before I got a better foundation? Would Unity actually be better? I have a lot of ideas that I want to try out and I'm tired of hoping someone else does it for me lol.

Tain

So how hard would it be to make a simple VR game using Unreal 4 assuming I have zero experience coding or making games? Is it even worth bothering with before I got a better foundation? Would Unity actually be better? I have a lot of ideas that I want to try out and I'm tired of hoping someone else does it for me lol.

Give it a shot, imo. I couldn't tell you if Unity would be any better, but UE4's blueprint and templates seem to make it awfully easy to get into.

My case actually.

To make it run with the avaliable templates will be a little hard but feasible but to ship something done will be quite a feat.

Its a long road.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
How do Vorpx games play on the Vive? And what's the process involved in setting the games up for VR?

You basically start the vorpx app, uncheck the "use steam theater" in properties, and launch it. From there it is a matter of pressing DEL and adjusting settings from theater mode, eye separation, etc.

If you easily get motion sick, it probably isn't for you.

Give it a shot, imo. I couldn't tell you if Unity would be any better, but UE4's blueprint and templates seem to make it awfully easy to get into.
My case actually.

To make it run with the avaliable templates will be a little hard but feasible but to ship something done will be quite a feat.

Its a long road.

Cool. I don't think I'd really ever get a whole game out of it, but there are some VR game ideas/theories I really want to test out and see if they work. I'm a UX designer so it would be nice to just prototype some UI ideas too.

jaypah

So anyone give the Chrysalis Pyramid demo a go yet? I posted about it earlier, just curious of other impressions. If it was fleshed out and polished up a bit I'd buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom