• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

http://staticmultimedia.com/video-games/pool-nation-vr-arriving-this-june/

Pool Nation VR will be finally out on 1st of June.

unnamed.jpg

Edit: should I make a new thread about it?

Can't wait to suck at it as much in VR as I do IRL!

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
i'm gonna just buy a cheap cane for leaning on with your support hand
should do the job and let you freely walk around the table

Paganmoon

So I downloaded the Wevr Transport app from Steam, so I could get some theBlu goodness, there was this other little gem there as well. I didn't really like the video content, but Irrational Exuberance Prologue had my heart racing. So damned surreal, had me almost freaking out. Easily the most breathtaking experience I've had with VR as of yet. Beautiful and just a tad bit unnerving at the same time.

Finally got round to playing Budget Cuts.

Wow that's amazing, so much more immersive than any of the other games I've tried.

I found myself sucking in my gut so I wouldn't be seen and bumped my face trying to look down through the ceiling.

Onemic

So I downloaded the Wevr Transport app from Steam, so I could get some theBlu goodness, there was this other little gem there as well. I didn't really like the video content, but Irrational Exuberance Prologue had my heart racing. So damned surreal, had me almost freaking out. Easily the most breathtaking experience I've had with VR as of yet. Beautiful and just a tad bit unnerving at the same time.

wevr is decent? I was looking at the steam reviews and they werent positive.

Paganmoon

It's just a demo tool, you download other things through it. Sort of like DisneyVR app. It's currently got 3 VR-ish vidoes (one of which is a music video), the Whale Demo from theBlu, and Irrational Exuberance (Which was as I mentioned, just wow).

So for a small, free little app, that gets you the whale demo and irrational exuberance demo, there's really no reason not to try it.

It's free you should download it and find out for yourself as opposed to trusting reviews only. It's essentially a VR content delivery system, within a VR content delivery system. You get to demo games and video content curated by wevr

Defect

So I finally got mine last night and showed my friends. They were really impressed!

I knew what to expect and it still impressed me. Can't wait for more games.

Need some help. Whenever I launch a non vr game in the steamvr lobby it launches it on my 2nd display but not my vive. The vive just stays at the steamvr lobby.

So I finally got mine last night and showed my friends. They were really impressed!

Same here. I tried dk1, dk2, and cardboard before the Vive so I knew what to expect... at least I thought I did. And then I ran the tutorial and giggled like a small child then I proceeded to pick my jaw off the floor. Roomscale and 1:1 mapped controllers is the future.

Need some help. Whenever I launch a non vr game in the steamvr lobby it launches it on my 2nd display but not my vive. The vive just stays at the steamvr lobby.

I m almost positive that theater mode for non VR games is only available on steamvr beta. Are you using the standard steamvr application?

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Holy crap I finally figured out a work around for UE4 roomscale + traditional movement problem.

Here are the results.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1uwQhzCcns

For those that don't know UE4 doesn't allow collision to work on characters other than the root. Since Roomscale has you walk away from the root (center of the room) collision would not work correctly because the capsule doesn't follow you. I got around the problem by not using collision at all, and instead using capsule traces and tiny teleport distances to move the character smoothly. If a capsule hits something it wont let the player go through it (player will move to the hit point instead of total distance). You can freely walk around in roomscale and use traditional movement.

You can see it working when I go up and down the incline (i am dumb and should have walked into one of the boxes...:/)

What I still need to add:

- Custom Gravity
- hit bounce back (move player back from a hit point so they are not looking into a wall
- teleport the player away if they physically walk into a wall
- try leaning instead of trackpad to move
- add force to dynamic objects that are hit

The cool thing is I can turn this into directional teleporation by increasing the teleport distance for people who can't do tradition movement due to motion sickness.

Holy crap I finally figured out a work around for UE4 roomscale + traditional movement problem.

Here are the results.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1uwQhzCcns

For those that don't know UE4 doesn't allow collision to work on characters other than the root. Since Roomscale has you walk away from the root (center of the room) collision would not work correctly because the capsule doesn't follow you. I got around the problem by not using collision at all, and instead using capsule traces and tiny teleport distances to move the character smoothly. If a capsule hits something it wont let the player go through it (player will move to the hit point instead of total distance). You can freely walk around in roomscale and use traditional movement.

You can see it working when I go up and down the incline (i am dumb and should have walked into one of the boxes...:/)

What I still need to add:

- Custom Gravity
- hit bounce back (move player back from a hit point so they are not looking into a wall
- teleport the player away if they physically walk into a wall
- try leaning instead of trackpad to move
- add force to dynamic objects that are hit

The cool thing is I can turn this into directional teleporation by increasing the teleport distance for people who can't do tradition movement due to motion sickness.

I had no idea ue4 was limited in that manner

Maybe it's more relevant here, the other thread seems to be quite dead:

https://twitter.com/SteamVR/status/735210078299553792

Watch out for using the reality as AR for VR.

VR with an AR overlay would be awesome. Anyone know what the resolution of the camera is?

Compsiox

Banned

It took me a month (weekends) to get through all the games. I think you're doing it wrong ;)

Same here. I tried dk1, dk2, and cardboard before the Vive so I knew what to expect... at least I thought I did. And then I ran the tutorial and giggled like a small child then I proceeded to pick my jaw off the floor. Roomscale and 1:1 mapped controllers is the future.

I m almost positive that theater mode for non VR games is only available on steamvr beta. Are you using the standard steamvr application?
Actually its since I went to the beta it stopped working

Zalusithix

So after a fair bit of tweaking the non-functional aspects of the HMD wallmount on Thingiverse, and ~18 hours of printing... I find out it doesn't really fit correctly. The print is dimensionally accurate, but the actual design just isn't quite right to do what it's attempting to do. Now to decide whether I want to attempt modification of the existing design to work the way it should, or completely abandon it and blaze my own trail.

Oh well, on the plus side, it's one of the neater looking pieces of scrap plastic that I've printed. =P

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I had no idea ue4 was limited in that manner

VR with an AR overlay would be awesome. Anyone know what the resolution of the camera is?

UE4 was not really designed with roomscale (or even VR) in mind. They are way behind unity when it comes to VR support.

Ordered mine on 5/13, got it 5/18. I'm in Seattle.

That means VR, and particularly the Vive, is at the point to where you, if you want it, you can order it, and recieve it, in the same time frame as any other free 2-day free shipping large package product.

Did not see that happening so soon.

Ordered mine on 5/13, got it 5/18. I'm in Seattle.

How are you liking it? I feel I'm really taking a risk but ordering it but what I've seen looks really fun.

Do you guys think this space would work? I'm rally unsure if id be able to get the light box up high enough as my ceiling is pitched at the front of my office...
c8CIsK2.jpg]

Also what are some great first experiences to ease into this? Motion can sometimes bother me...I don't have problems on motion simulators, cars or planes but boats really get to me...I couldn't play assassins Creed black flag because the up and down motion on the boat made me feel terrible..

Do you guys think this space would work?

Also what are some great first experiences to ease into this? Motion can sometimes bother me...I don't have problems on motion simulators, cars or planes but boats really get to me...I couldn't play assassins Creed black flag because the up and down motion on the boat made me feel terrible..

I'm glad I did a lot of experimentation before mounting so I'd recommend placing one on the right of that top shelf near the Alf/Elephant looking thing. Above Mario. And experiment/adjust from there. And probably place the second one behind and to the right of the perspective of the photo, but who knows what is in that direction. Could be bears.

My SO gets very motion sick basically immediately with any 3D game. No issues so far with VR, even after many hours, which I still can't believe. As long as the framerate doesn't go to shit or anything along those lines it hasn't been an issue at all.

How are you liking it? I feel I'm really taking a risk but ordering it but what I've seen looks really fun.

Do you guys think this space would work? I'm rally unsure if id be able to get the light box up high enough as my ceiling is pitched at the front of my office...
c8CIsK2.jpg]

Yeah it will work doesnt have to be exactly 6.5' for the height.

pj

Banned
Ho boy. Do not start a project cars career in vr. Karts are too fast, there's no cockpit, and the tracks have a lot of verticality. First time I've felt any sort of discomfort in VR.

Regular cars are a lot easier to stomach, but even with those crashes get a little stomach churning.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Ho boy. Do not start a project cars career in vr. Karts are too fast, there's no cockpit, and the tracks have a lot of verticality. First time I've felt any sort of discomfort in VR.

Regular cars are a lot easier to stomach, but even with those crashes get a little stomach churning.
I love the karts, so much fun in vr. No sickness for me either. Ive gotten over motion sickness i think.

pj

Banned
I love the karts, so much fun in vr. No sickness for me either. Ive gotten over motion sickness i think.

It was fun but I didn't make it through the second two lap race before I got the feeling that I could puke at any moment and had to quit.

I used to get carsick as a kid and I still avoid reading in the car. Not sure how much hope there is for me, but I will try again with fully enclosed cars that don't accelerate like a jet on an aircraft carrier

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Edit:sorry dp

It was fun but I didn't make it through the second two lap race before I got the feeling that I could puke at any moment and had to quit.

I used to get carsick as a kid and I still avoid reading in the car. Not sure how much hope there is for me, but I will try again with fully enclosed cars that don't accelerate like a jet on an aircraft carrier
Ohh i get carsick all the time. Ive been able to train myself to not get simation sickness though. Some stuff can still make me dizzy though.

c8CIsK2.jpg]

I love it! Completely happy with my purchase. I spend my days playing it and thinking about it. A friend at work has one to, same for him.

I had a bunch of friends over this weekend, gamers and non-gamers. Everyone had a big grin within seconds of putting it on. Just entering the SteamVR hub was enough for them.

I think your space will work, but it is hard to tell from photos.

As for the motion, seems to be a person to person thing. I haven't had any problems yet.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
OoOooh, shipped. Should get here Thursday. Got my bundle code too. Crazy!

Gotta figure out my lighthouse mounting situation, I may try those plant hanging bars... can't believe this thing will be at my door before the 1080 is even released, lol

Edit: for those keeping score, this was ordered 5/19, arriving 5/26. Gotta give credit where credit is due to HTC on that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
OoOooh, shipped. Should get here Thursday. Got my bundle code too. Crazy!

Gotta figure out my lighthouse mounting situation, I may try those plant hanging bars... can't believe this thing will be at my door before the 1080 is even released, lol

Edit: for those keeping score, this was ordered 5/19, arriving 5/26. Gotta give credit where credit is due to HTC on that.

Surely they aren't up to date on preorders already?

I've seen a few stores claiming that they will receive stock in the middle of next month, so it seems conventional distribution takes over from then. So them finishing up the pre order queue about now seems reasonable if the retail release is going to be a success.

I didn't try bigscreenvr much before the update so I can't compare. But bigscreenvr is currently a cool thing to play with. Only negative is ou can't pipe your monitors audio pout put? I would just turn up the monitors speakers so my vive mic would pick it up

Big Screen is one of my favorite apps. They talked about piping audio next update, so it should appear soon. The only thing that I miss, which isn't very likely to be possible due to DRM, is support for Netflix playback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom