• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedFox85

Just spent about 40 mins in with Pool Nation and I can definitely echo what others have said, it's totally awesome! This was my first multiplayer VR experience and I had a blast, some guy joined my game and we played two rounds while having casual conversation. It was such a trip seeing another person in VR, subtle gestures and the like. You could really tell when he was a victim of his playspace in spots because of the way he would hold the pool cue.

I am having a weird issue with my controllers right now though and was wondering if anyone could help me out. Whenever I open the steam menu in VR my controllers lose sync. When I look at the desktop app the green controller indicators are flashing and it says they can't be found even though they are still on. I am not sure what is causing this.. anyone else ran into the issue?

EekTheKat

Regarding Pool Nation VR :

I think the scale issue goes beyond just characters. The table itself seems to be scaled for the smaller human models.

The cues themselves seem a bit small as well. It's only slightly off but I can sort of feel it.

Somesort of slider to adjust scaling would be great.

I am having a weird issue with my controllers right now though and was wondering if anyone could help me out. Whenever I open the steam menu in VR my controllers lose sync. When I look at the desktop app the green controller indicators are flashing and it says they can't be found even though they are still on. I am not sure what is causing this.. anyone else ran into the issue?

This seems like camera issues. Try going into the SteamVR settings and lower frame rate for the camera to 45.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Finally got my shipping notice, it's been almost 2 months since I ordered. At least they are refunding me for the shipping because it didn't ship in May like promised. Pretty good considering they're only 1 day late :p

Excited to try it out.

That's interesting. I haven't seen anyone get a refund on shipping for when they fucked up the card payments, causing us to fall to the back of the queue. Might roll the dice on CS now things are a little quieter..

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The 1080 is a really bad value proposition, you're paying an additional 220 dollars (if you are lucky) for what is amounting to not that much of an increase.

Stick with the 1070, it'll be fine for the next two years. The direction of VR isn't moving towards big AAA experiences and there's technology progressing that is suppose to make VR much less resource intensive.

It seems a decent 20-25% more power, and for VR if stereo multiprojection takes off that could be a decent step up in performance.

Yes it's bad value, but I can't help looking at the 1070 as just a little bit too cut back from the 1080, even though the price is OK. I'm sure the 1080 has a $100 buffer in there, ready to drop when the 1080ti comes out, but no need for now while it is the top performer.

I'd be hoping for the SMP to give it enough performance over the 970/980ti to make it a worthwhile upgrade personally, and while I'm sure that'll come in time, it feels like a compromise. (Which of course it is)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Regarding Pool Nation VR :

I think the scale issue goes beyond just characters. The table itself seems to be scaled for the smaller human models.

The cues themselves seem a bit small as well. It's only slightly off but I can sort of feel it.

Somesort of slider to adjust scaling would be great.

Can't the scale of the room be adjusted using the grip buttons on both controllers and dragging to zoom or I remember wrongly from last night and it's just the position that can be adjusted?

derFeef

I just tried GearVR again and man I wish the Vive's lenses were that good, it's really sharp for me and the sweetspot is not that small.

cakefoo

Is it just me or Lucky's Tale looks a bit better on the Vive?

Besides the judder in some specific levels like Magma Mambo, I definitely prefer playing the game on the Vive. Optics? FOV? What's going on..?
Hmm. When I demoed the Rift at Best Buy running Dream Deck, there was a pretty strong pincushion distortion, like the corners were noticeably deforming/stretching when my head moved/panned/tilted. My Vive has none. My guess is that the lens distortion and the software distortion correction on that demo, or even on the Rift SDK itself, are not fully optimized.

Durante

I ran into this once weeks back. What fixed it was uninstalling and reinstalling SteamVR. (I shit you not)

You know the craziest part about Pool Nation? That I'm now looking up videos of actual pool techniques to help me play the game better.

Can't the scale of the room be adjusted using the grip buttons on both controllers and dragging to zoom or I remember wrongly from last night and it's just the position that can be adjusted?

Pretty sure it's just positioning.

Zalusithix

Pretty sure it's just positioning.

It'd be a nightmare if it was anything other than positioning. The gesture requires gripping both controllers, so the typical "pinch to zoom" gesture will happen to some degree on every hand movement. We're not robotic enough to keep our hands precisely apart. It'd result in the room moving around and scaling every time you used the feature.

Zalusithix

Being as bad in a game as in real life isn't that nice. That easy AI beat me a couple of times (mostly on my fouls).

Damn fouls. Gets to pick an optimal shot and then chains nearly every other ball in. Of course the AI never fouls. Even on easy. Can't smack the AI on the back of the head with the cue or beer bottle either. Where are my virtual bar fights?!

Damn fouls. Gets to pick an optimal shot and then chains nearly every other ball in. Of course the AI never fouls. Even on easy. Can't smack the AI on the back of the head with the cue or beer bottle either. Where are my virtual bar fights?!

Damn, this could be so awesome in singleplayer sports game.

Frustrated by cheating AI? Beat the shit out of it in VR. xD

Man, it's criminal how little I've used my Vive since I got it. Mind you, I absolutely adore the thing, and there are tons of games that I need to still play on it. There just aren't enough hours in the day! Between Dark Souls 3, Uncharted 4 and now Overwatch, my free time is nonexistent.

With that said, this time away from the Vive has resulted in a ton of new updates and releases. The progress in the past month has been incredible.

d00d3n

I just got my HTC Vive! Although can't play for some time, because I am setting up a new computer.

Any major compatibility issues with Windows 10 when running HTC Vive?

Man, it's criminal how little I've used my Vive since I got it. Mind you, I absolutely adore the thing, and there are tons of games that I need to still play on it. There just aren't enough hours in the day! Between Dark Souls 3, Uncharted 4 and now Overwatch, my free time is nonexistent.

With that said, this time away from the Vive has resulted in a ton of new updates and releases. The progress in the past month has been incredible.

I felt bad for rushing through Uncharted 4 just to get back on the Vive. Uncharted 4 is such an awesome game that deserve some thorough exploration and standing around and taking in the scenery time, but aint nobody got time for that when you have VR

I just got my HTC Vive! Although can't play for some time, because I am setting up a new computer.

Any major compatibility issues with Windows 10 when running HTC Vive?

Not that I know of. Should work right out of the box. Just make sure you read the instructions carefully and remember we're here to help, assuming the instructions were followed and you're still having issues.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
My Vive just arrived! Unfortunately I won't be able to set it up until later this evening.

That's interesting. I haven't seen anyone get a refund on shipping for when they fucked up the card payments, causing us to fall to the back of the queue. Might roll the dice on CS now things are a little quieter..

This is what the email said:

Our records show your order did not ship in May as originally promised. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Your Vive order is being processed now and will be shipped within the next 48 hours.

Your shipping is on us. You will be credited the cost of shipping within 5-7 business days.

Thanks for ordering Vive!

Kind Regards,
The Vive Team

I ordered on April 5th I believe.

Zalusithix

I had the same thing happen to me. It turned out that I had to use a DVI connector on my headset.

His issue was controller connections. How the headset is connected for video should have no bearing on whether the controller can connect to the headset. The power comes by a dedicated cable, and the data by USB.

How reliable is revive? Im afraid of trying it out because Oculus seems hellbent and on making sure Vive users cant play their games.

My Vive is coming tomorrow, but it's pretty reliable from everything I've read. Worst case scenario, if you're worried about being locked out by an update, back up your current version of the game. Revive gets rid of the DRM, so you shouldn't have any issues using an outdated version.

My one worry about this game in particular is Denuvo. Insomniac is a pretty big company, so they might be using it. ReVive can't get past Denuvo for obvious reasons.

ZXoneXZ

Neo Member
I hope I will get my HTC vive tomorrow if DHL can deliver it.
It was meant to arrive today, spoke DHL person wednesday and he said thursday.
Have been waiting all day and nothing. Called them and they gave excuses why they didn't deliver and it is coming friday.

Zalusithix

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4m7x92/pool_nation_vr_ai_froze_when_put_in_a_situation/

Anyone see this? Lol, talk about not wanting to foul.

I played 2 games of Pool Nation last night. My first was against the AI, which I won. Then I played against a human and it was fucking crazy. Seeing him walk around his play space and chatting about pool and VR was very weird but also very comforting. I made him give me a high-five after he won lol.

So that's why it never fouls. It's incapable! I want that handicap. =P

How reliable is revive? Im afraid of trying it out because Oculus seems hellbent and on making sure Vive users cant play their games.

I've yet to try revive. seems like a big risk imho and really I have zero interest any of the oculus games outside of the climb.

jaypah

So that's why it never fouls. It's incapable! I want that handicap. =P

I know, right? Lol, if only. It's like I'm inventing new ways to fuck up when it's my turn.

I've yet to try revive. seems like a big risk imho and really I have zero interest any of the oculus games outside of the climb.

I haven't used it with any paid content but the free stuff on Oculus Home runs perfectly and the new version of Revive is super easy to set up and get going.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

The games listed as working in the compatability list work incredibly well with it. Extremely easy to boot up with no problems at all.

There's a 100% chance there are going to be times the oculus store updates and things will temporarily break, but I don't know how high the chances are that things break for longer than a week.

Who knows if it's feasible to fundamentally break Revive on a technological level, but they could probably outright kill it with a cease and desist letter, whether or not Oculus is legally in the right to order it. I wouldn't be surprised if they put the check in the DRM specifically so they can have their lawyers kill it later. Probably mostly depends on if Oculus thinks it can handle the negative press that will surely come out of that.

Zexen

Just tried Waltz of the Wizard and it's pretty cool, low on content maybe but it's free, so I won't complain. I tried to do a kamehameha with the fireballs, didn't work. :(

Regarding Pool Nation, I'm having trouble to find multiplayer rooms, and when I did, I was alone in the bar and the game stuck on the opponent's turn, yet no one to be seen.
Also I can't maintain 90 fps with a 980Ti on Ultra, but it's perfect on High.

Wait.... Are you serious in that it actually worked after that? Like receiver 1 worked after that because that makes no sense lol

Whoa, sorry wwm0nkey. I didnt realize you were having controller and receiver issues. I thought you were experiencing the "black screen" in the headset. Sorry!

wwm0nkey

Whoa, sorry wwm0nkey. I didnt realize you were having controller and receiver issues. I thought you were experiencing the "black screen" in the headset. Sorry!

Oh no you're good man lol

Also HTC called me before I sent the Vive in because apparently they are releasing a firmware update on Friday or Monday that will hopefully resolve the issue since apparently it is a known issue.

Zalusithix

Oh no you're good man lol

Also HTC called me before I sent the Vive in because apparently they are releasing a firmware update on Friday or Monday that will hopefully resolve the issue since apparently it is a known issue.

So did you send it in anyhow? Or not?

Plasmid

Excited to try out waltz of the wizards and pool nation. Any other new games that are getting good reviews in the last week or so?

Zalusithix

If I don't get a call by Monday like they said they would give me(about the firmware) then I am. I already have the box ready but I'll give them a chance since i can so use it for those days

Makes sense. Especially since they don't have an advanced RMA. Speaking of which, I would pay for an advanced RMA policy option like what EVGA has just so I could do the stuck pixel roulette. As it is now, it's not worth giving up the Vive for a period of time only to possibly get another one back with a slightly different problem.

I hope I will get my HTC vive tomorrow if DHL can deliver it.
It was meant to arrive today, spoke DHL person wednesday and he said thursday.
Have been waiting all day and nothing. Called them and they gave excuses why they didn't deliver and it is coming friday.

Exact same thing happened to me down to the weekday. They did deliver Friday though.

Pyrogeek

Order placed this morning. Now for the patient wait until it processes.

Judging by the thread, I'll be dabbling in the games below though is there anything I'm immediately missing?

Tilt Brush (Came with bundle)
Job Simulator (Came with bundle)
Fantastic Contraption (Came with bundle)
Elite Dangerous
Project Cars
Pool Nation VR
Vanishing Realms
Audio Shield

How is ADR1FT?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Order placed this morning. Now for the patient wait until it processes.

Judging by the thread, I'll be dabbling in the games below though is there anything I'm immediately missing?

Tilt Brush (Came with bundle)
Job Simulator (Came with bundle)
Fantastic Contraption (Came with bundle)
Elite Dangerous
Project Cars
Pool Nation VR
Vanishing Realms
Audio Shield

How is ADR1FT?

If your at all curious about minecraft buy it and grab the free Vive mod Vivecraft. its amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom