• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwm0nkey

Did you manage to update the firmware on that controller via USB? And stupid question, but did you restarted the HMD from the settings? (I had a similar issue at some point that was solved in this way)

Yeah I did, port #6 is just dead pretty much on the headset so it needs the RMA

Next time I will know 3.0 is bad for HMDs unless they are a very specific brand that doesn't suck

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Another Pool Nation VR review:

http://www.vrfocus.com/2016/06/review-pool-nation-vr/

While it may not sound as exciting as fighting zombie hordes, travelling to distant worlds or roaming dungeons as a warrior on a grand quest, Pool Nation VR is one of the most complete and well presented videogames not just on the HTC Vive, but in modern VR as a whole. As with Pinball FX 2 VR, Pool Nation VR helps to prove that in these very early days of modern VR it’s often the precise recreation of real-world activities that make for the most compelling experiences. Experimenting with the abstract is a noble cause, but aiming to deliver fun in VR may well be where the greatest strides are made.

Zalusithix

Yeah I did, port #6 is just dead pretty much on the headset so it needs the RMA

Next time I will know 3.0 is bad for HMDs unless they are a very specific brand that doesn't suck

I did my update via USB 3.0 with no issues FWIW (Inatek PCIe add in card). I also use an EVGA GPU (and mobo!). My Vive probably should have spontaneously combusted by now going by HTC tech support. ;)

ValleyJoe

Neo Member
So I was looking for some kind of lightweight stand or tripod that would be easily movable and would hopefully give the feeling of actually resting your hand on a pool table at the proper height. I came across this thing https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XTC76DU/?tag=neogaf0e-20
which I actually think would kind of work. I'm looking for something like that but in carbon fiber, but I almost can't resist that one just because of the name. It's like it was meant to be.
Anyone else thinking about experimenting with tables/stands etc.? I'm not sure it's even a good idea. It could feel weird to have a hand resting on the pool table but no actual full length stick to interact with that hand. I'm gonna try a few things at least. Can't wait for this game. Looks awesome.

Zalusithix

Looks like Valves giving "The Lab" special renderer and source code away for free as of today for Unity developers.

really great news the labs one of the best looking things on the Vive

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4m0xoc/the_lab_renderer_announced_for_unity/

Pool Nation VR is out on Steam now!

Between these two things, today is a great day in Vive land! (Well, so long as you're not doing an RMA. ;) ) Looking forward to installing Pool Nation tonight, and hopefully we'll see the new renderer dropped into the numerous Unity games soon.

Zalusithix

This thread makes me jealous as an oculus owner. It's like you guys are months in the future. I can't wait for touch controls.

Hopefully the existing Vive games will be updated to have in game Touch models and control schemes that work well with those controllers relatively soon after the controllers release. Even if those games don't make it to Oculus Home proper.

Meanwhile Vive owners will have to pay for the priviledge of working around Oculus' roadblocks if they want to attempt to play any Touch exclusives.

so is vanishing realms still the cool shit or has everyone moved on?

Hover junkers still have a community?

my vive has been used for holopoint, job simulator, tilt brush and eve for like 2 weeks now, looking for something new

looking at the library, and those that are generally liked, I don't have holoball, hover junkers, Vanishing Realms, or that lightsaber game

Hopefully the existing Vive games will be updated to have in game Touch models and control schemes that work well with those controllers relatively soon after the controllers release. Even if those games don't make it to Oculus Home proper.

Meanwhile Vive owners will have to pay for the priviledge of working around Oculus' roadblocks if they want to attempt to play any Touch exclusives.

Yeah it sucks that oculus games are locked. Next week is edge of tomorrow, everyone should be able to play It.

cakefoo

Cutting out the live chaperone camera feed when you step out of range of the lighthouses is the dumbest thing! There's no reason that view should require lighthouse line of sight.

So I was looking for some kind of lightweight stand or tripod that would be easily movable and would hopefully give the feeling of actually resting your hand on a pool table at the proper height. I came across this thing https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XTC76DU/?tag=neogaf0e-20
which I actually think would kind of work. I'm looking for something like that but in carbon fiber, but I almost can't resist that one just because of the name. It's like it was meant to be.
Anyone else thinking about experimenting with tables/stands etc.? I'm not sure it's even a good idea. It could feel weird to have a hand resting on the pool table but no actual full length stick to interact with that hand. I'm gonna try a few things at least. Can't wait for this game. Looks awesome.
I have a wooden bar stool I'm about to test out to see if it's a compatible height. edit: stool happened to be just the right height (30 inches), but I'm not sure I want to pick it up and move it around every shot. Otherwise I could trip over it.

Alexlf

my vive has been used for holopoint, job simulator, tilt brush and eve for like 2 weeks now, looking for something new

looking at the library, and those that are generally liked, I don't have holoball, hover junkers, Vanishing Realms, or that lightsaber game

Vanishing Realms is still great... it's just relatively short. Everyone who has it is likely at the end of the "demo" already.

BashNasty

Played about an hour of Pool Nation VR earlier, it's really, really good.

I'm playing on a OCed 970 with a stock 2500k and 16gigs of ram and, at least on low settings, the game runs really, really well. Thankfully low settings still look quite good. Putting the game up to medium introduced a little bit of headset judder, so I just kept it at low. Interestingly, as you're changing the settings it shows you your framerate, so it's pretty easy to find out what your computer can handle.

As for the game itself, this is easily one of the coolest VR environments I've seen. The bar has a real sense of place, and it's a lot of fun to walk/warp around and check out the various areas. It's also really fun to throw chairs at the bartenders and hurl bottles at the wall. Unfortunately, none of the characters standing around the space actually react when you abuse them, but it's still really fun to cause a little chaos.

As for the pool itself, it's great. The physics feel real spot on and the controls are intuitive after about 5 minutes (protip, squeezing the side buttons on both the controllers allows you to actually move and rotate the room around you. This is super handy for when you back yourself into a corner in your real space). You're able to put spin on the balls and even jump them off the table and it all works as you would expect.

Surprisingly, the multiplayer worked really well for me as well. I went into the menu and started a quick match search then went back to vandalizing the bar. After about 2 minutes I suddenly heard a voice and another player popped into my space (he was able to see all the chaos I'd caused). From there we jumped right into a few games of pool while shooting the shit about VR experiences. It, in a strange way, felt a bit like hanging out and playing pool at an actual bar. It was really, really cool and felt great.

For the current price of under 20 bucks, I highly recommend Pool Nation VR. It honestly is one of the coolest VR experiences I've had, and it lets you play pool online to boot.

Played about an hour of Pool Nation VR earlier, it's really, really good.

I'm playing on a OCed 970 with a stock 2500k and 16gigs of ram and, at least on low settings, the game runs really, really well. Thankfully low settings still look quite good. Putting the game up to medium introduced a little bit of headset judder, so I just kept it at low. Interestingly, as you're changing the settings it shows you your framerate, so it's pretty easy to find out what your computer can handle.

As for the game itself, this is easily one of the coolest VR environments I've seen. The bar has a real sense of place, and it's a lot of fun to walk/warp around and check out the various areas. It's also really fun to throw chairs at the bartenders and hurl bottles at the wall. Unfortunately, none of the characters standing around the space actually react when you abuse them, but it's still really fun to cause a little chaos.

As for the pool itself, it's great. The physics feel real spot on and the controls are intuitive after about 5 minutes (protip, squeezing the side buttons on both the controllers allows you to actually move and rotate the room around you. This is super handy for when you back yourself into a corner in your real space). You're able to put spin on the balls and even jump them off the table and it all works as you would expect.

Surprisingly, the multiplayer worked really well for me as well. I went into the menu and started a quick match search then went back to vandalizing the bar. After about 2 minutes I suddenly heard a voice and another player popped into my space (he was able to see all the chaos I'd caused). From there we jumped right into a few games of pool while shooting the shit about VR experiences. It, in a strange way, felt a bit like hanging out and playing pool at an actual bar. It was really, really cool and felt great.

For the current price of under 20 bucks, I highly recommend Pool Nation VR. It honestly is one of the coolest VR experiences I've had, and it lets you play pool online to boot.

I just felt uncomfortable playing it to be honest. I agree with everything you said, but it's all for nothing if I feel like shit playing it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Crouching over with nothing to lean on, I have problems with my neck anyway (not an issue with real pool) but this game just made my neck ache like a bastard.

I commented also in the game's thread, but maybe try not to bend over so much. With the way you can fix the cue it works also if you extend the arms fully.

BashNasty

Crouching over with nothing to lean on, I have problems with my neck anyway (not an issue with real pool) but this game just made my neck ache like a bastard.

Interesting, I could see how leaning over the table with nothing actually there could be disconcerting and uncomfortable, but I had no problem getting used to it. I actually found it really convenient to be able to walk through the table.

Paganmoon

tried holopoint for the first time, damn, I'm sweating. also, really easy to tangle yourself in the cord. The game really needs to keep track and flash a small arrow for you to turn around the otherway or something.

Yusaku

Interestingly, as you're changing the settings it shows you your framerate, so it's pretty easy to find out what your computer can handle.

I wish more games did this. Frame dropping in VR feels different than a normal game. So it can be hard to tell if the game is just being weird, or if there are actual performance problems.

In the Developer Options I checked "Checked for Missed Frames" so you get a big screen notification if you drop frames. It's really big and distracting, but I find it better than nothing.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Based Pool Nation VR. Our June savior.

What's up next for our next big release?

Durante

In the Developer Options I checked "Checked for Missed Frames" so you get a big screen notification if you drop frames. It's really big and distracting, but I find it better than nothing.
Yeah, I've had that enabled since day 1. It sometimes occurs during loading but that's not so bad.

That said, my 970 has been holding up surprisingly well, I only ever see that warning during loading and in a few specific short-term scenarios in some games.

jotun?

tried holopoint for the first time, damn, I'm sweating. also, really easy to tangle yourself in the cord. The game really needs to keep track and flash a small arrow for you to turn around the otherway or something.

That would be a nice feature to have baked into SteamVR too. Pause any game, and somewhere on the UI it could display how much you've turned in which direction since starting either SteamVR or your current game

Based Pool Nation VR. Our June savior.

What's up next for our next big release?

I'm really looking forward to Cosmic Trip.

Description
Cosmic Trip is a groovy VR-native first-person real-time strategy game, playable with the HTC Vive. Build and command swarms of cosmobots to harvest resources and battle against the slimy alien forces!

Features
  • Native VR room-scale RTS gameplay. Motion-controlled with HTC Vive controllers.
  • Strategically deploy your cosmobot forces to combat and to capture territories
  • Equip futuristic VR weapons
  • Manage and optimize your resource supply-line with harvesting cosmobots
  • Build defensive structures and turrets to fortify your bases
  • Gnarly tunes and groovy vibes
DrHRMU9.gif

mx3Zgvd.gif

VStnKYz.gif

Supposed to be out in early access "soon" which from previous posts on Reddit sounds like within the next month if not earlier.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

I finished Vanishing Realms in about 2hrs.
That said its fantastic, it just needs more content or better yet a community level editor

Jimrpg

So it's been a couple of months - are there any more escape room games since launch? That's what I'm most interested in.

Secondly - people with a Titan X/980Ti, how's that doing for VR? Are you guys running everything on high settings? Ive got a 970 now and considering between a 1080/1070. Seems like with a 970 people have to play quite a number of games on low settings. I'll prolly get a 1070 to save a bit of money but just wanted to know it'd be worth the upgrade.

Samaritan

Secondly - people with a Titan X/980Ti, how's that doing for VR? Are you guys running everything on high settings? Ive got a 970 now and considering between a 1080/1070. Seems like with a 970 people have to play quite a number of games on low settings. I'll prolly get a 1070 to save a bit of money but just wanted to know it'd be worth the upgrade.

980Ti here, haven't had to lower any game to lower settings, though I have yet to play Elite or Project Cars with the Vive, and I'm certain I'll need to make major adjustments there. As for 1080/1070, if you're going to spend that kind of money on a new card for VR purposes, don't skimp by going with the 1070. Either get a 1080 or wait for a 1080Ti. You want as much possible performance as you can get, not just for VR now, but for VR in a year, two years, three years down the road.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Finally got my shipping notice, it's been almost 2 months since I ordered. At least they are refunding me for the shipping because it didn't ship in May like promised. Pretty good considering they're only 1 day late :p

Excited to try it out.

Onemic

With Nvidia doing their absolute best to make sure I cant buy a 1080 for a long time, my Vive is just sitting in my room unused :(

So I played some Pool Nation VR. If you are looking for a game to tell you your PC is a POS, this is it! I have a 5960X at 4.2, Titan Black (sli but it doesn't work in VR games) and 32 GB of DDR4. I drop to the 50's on low and 40s on medium. I know it's about that time to buy new GPUs but I wasn't expecting something to run this poorly. Now I know why fps is so important in VR. I feel a little woozy. The game is great though! And it's pretty realistic because I am about as good at pool in VR as I am in real life...

wwm0nkey

FINALLY got my RMA through! Also played around an hour of VR games using a USB plugged to the headset for the 2nd controller. Budget Cuts is fantastic and si is The Lab

Jimrpg

980Ti here, haven't had to lower any game to lower settings, though I have yet to play Elite or Project Cars with the Vive, and I'm certain I'll need to make major adjustments there. As for 1080/1070, if you're going to spend that kind of money on a new card for VR purposes, don't skimp by going with the 1070. Either get a 1080 or wait for a 1080Ti. You want as much possible performance as you can get, not just for VR now, but for VR in a year, two years, three years down the road.

Thanks - I have both Elite and Project Cars and I bet both are pretty graphically intensive in VR. I'm kinda still leaning towards the 1070 though, im just not sure I can justify a US$600 upgrade every two years. When you get on the x80 or x80ti bandwagon, its hard to jump off and get lower performance next time round!

I'm also hoping with multiprojection that in a year or so, VR games with a 10xx will get a performance boost, while still having to cater for cards like 970, 980, 980ti that don't have this.

Samaritan

Thanks - I have both Elite and Project Cars and I bet both are pretty graphically intensive in VR. I'm kinda still leaning towards the 1070 though, im just not sure I can justify a US$600 upgrade every two years. When you get on the x80 or x80ti bandwagon, its hard to jump off and get lower performance next time round.

Yeah, for certain. While I couldn't just point you to any post in particular, I've seen plenty of people with 980Ti's in here having to dial back settings for those games in particular.

Zalusithix

So I played some Pool Nation VR. If you are looking for a game to tell you your PC is a POS, this is it! I have a 5960X at 4.2, Titan Black (sli but it doesn't work in VR games) and 32 GB of DDR4. I drop to the 50's on low and 40s on medium. I know it's about that time to buy new GPUs but I wasn't expecting something to run this poorly. Now I know why fps is so important in VR. I feel a little woozy. The game is great though! And it's pretty realistic because I am about as good at pool in VR as I am in real life...

Was this right from the get go? Or only part way through an AI match?

I could freeplay at medium with a 920@3.5 + 980ti @ stock with barely ever seeing a frame drop. High settings were less stable, but might be manageable if I engage the OC profile (something I haven't needed in any other made-for-VR game). I'm not sure what beast of a rig Ultra is playable on.

At any rate, while things were stable in free play, an AI match could seemingly randomly go into a frame dropping hell. Sometimes I could make it through with no issue. Other times part way through the performance went to shit and wouldn't recover until the game was killed and restarted.

pj

Banned
Here's a Pool Nation VR tip: don't hit the lights above the table with a beer bottle. The lights will freak out and get stuck in the ceiling and then the table will be dark.

I was getting some pretty heavy dips on Ultra, but High seems stable on my 5820k @ 4.2 and OC'd 980ti.

I wonder if this game is using UE's standard deferred rendering. That does not fit well with VR from what I understand

Was this right from the get go? Or only part way through an AI match?

I could freeplay at medium with a 920@3.5 + 980ti @ stock with barely ever seeing a frame drop. High settings were less stable, but might be manageable if I engage the OC profile (something I haven't needed in any other made-for-VR game). I'm not sure what beast of a rig Ultra is playable on.

At any rate, while things were stable in free play, an AI match could seemingly randomly go into a frame dropping hell. Sometimes I could make it through with no issue. Other times part way through the performance went to shit and wouldn't recover until the game was killed and restarted.

Titan Black is on the level of a 970, if not lower, so his perf sounds about right

Odrion

Banned

The 1080 is a really bad value proposition, you're paying an additional 220 dollars (if you are lucky) for what is amounting to not that much of an increase.

Stick with the 1070, it'll be fine for the next two years. The direction of VR isn't moving towards big AAA experiences and there's technology progressing that is suppose to make VR much less resource intensive.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
Is it just me or Lucky's Tale looks a bit better on the Vive?

Besides the judder in some specific levels like Magma Mambo, I definitely prefer playing the game on the Vive. Optics? FOV? What's going on..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom