• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Despera

Banned
Just tried Waltz of the Wizard and it's pretty cool, low on content maybe but it's free, so I won't complain. I tried to do a kamehameha with the fireballs, didn't work. :(

Regarding Pool Nation, I'm having trouble to find multiplayer rooms, and when I did, I was alone in the bar and the game stuck on the opponent's turn, yet no one to be seen.
Also I can't maintain 90 fps with a 980Ti on Ultra, but it's perfect on High.
I also tried the bolded and was disappointed with the end result. Fun little free game though.

I played against a couple of people last night in Pool Nation and it seemed to work decently enough. Matchmaking takes a while though. Performance definitely needs optimizing, but the game is pretty good as is.

Order placed this morning. Now for the patient wait until it processes.

Judging by the thread, I'll be dabbling in the games below though is there anything I'm immediately missing?

Tilt Brush (Came with bundle)
Job Simulator (Came with bundle)
Fantastic Contraption (Came with bundle)
Elite Dangerous
Project Cars
Pool Nation VR
Vanishing Realms
Audio Shield

How is ADR1FT?

ADR1FT is boring and nauseating. I regret paying $20 for it, despite how pretty the environment is occasionally.

IMACOMPUTA

Last night i did the firmware update on my headset. It took forever, but eventually finished. SteamVR restarted or whatever and then when I tried to run room setup i got an error and it wouldn't launch (this happens all the time, just restart SteamVR and it works)...
Well, when I restarted steamVR it said I needed a firmware update in order to use my vive... So i did it again..
I waited like 30 minutes and it was just hanging, so I canceled it.

To make a long story short, I was able to force a firmware update after that through a command prompt, but now I can only get one controller to sync.

When I try to sync the other one, it tells me I already have 2 synced, and I definitely don't. I tried the "unpairall" command, amongst other things... like uninstalling Asus suite.

Anybody ever have this issue?

Quick question, how much delay there is currently to get a Vive? Website says it ships in June but i don't think i get it that fast if i buy it now or is it?

If your at all curious about minecraft buy it and grab the free Vive mod Vivecraft. its amazing

Just so you don't waste an hour like I did, if you google up "minecrift install vive" you get to a long ass youtube video that explains step by step how to download python, download the installer, build stuff, add registry keys, download JDE (which requires registering with Oracle) and so on and so forth. But if you look in the description he also provides a dropbox executable that is supposed to install it automatically. The first time I ran it, I'm not sure that it worked. I did try the long method and got errors near the end that would require intimate knowledge of the development code base to debug.

So I went back to the installer method and did get the minecrift vive profile appearing in the minecraft launcher, and it did work.

I wouldn't particularly want to sit and play survival using it but if you have minecraft and have some pre-built worlds downloaded with construction to warp around in, it is definitely quite an experience to warp around using the jump function and look at the vistas from various high points, or stand on the edge of cliffs and look down.

wwm0nkey

Last night i did the firmware update on my headset. It took forever, but eventually finished. SteamVR restarted or whatever and then when I tried to run room setup i got an error and it wouldn't launch (this happens all the time, just restart SteamVR and it works)...
Well, when I restarted steamVR it said I needed a firmware update in order to use my vive... So i did it again..
I waited like 30 minutes and it was just hanging, so I canceled it.

To make a long story short, I was able to force a firmware update after that through a command prompt, but now I can only get one controller to sync.

When I try to sync the other one, it tells me I already have 2 synced, and I definitely don't. I tried the "unpairall" command, amongst other things... like uninstalling Asus suite.

Anybody ever have this issue?
Yeah I had that and now I'm about to RMA the device. HTC told me Friday or Monday there will be a firmware update since it's not uncommon. Also get the inateck KTU3FR-202I pci-e card, I'm no longer getting device unrecognized errors but still receiver 1 is down

jotun?

Judging by the thread, I'll be dabbling in the games below though is there anything I'm immediately missing?

Elite Dangerous
Project Cars
Pool Nation VR
Vanishing Realms
Audio Shield

Definitely add Budget Cuts (free demo). Waltz of the Wizard is another free demo worth checking out

Holopoint is good if you want something intense

Final Approach is pretty good. I'm at 3+ hours and not finished with it yet

thematic

Yeah I had that and now I'm about to RMA the device. HTC told me Friday or Monday there will be a firmware update since it's not uncommon. Also get the inateck KTU3FR-202I pci-e card, I'm no longer getting device unrecognized errors but still receiver 1 is down

I imported Vive using forwarder to my country (it's not arrived yet)
it's quite expensive and take a long time to get here

and the talks about RMA really make me regret my decision to early purchase this :(
hopefully most problem can be solved without RMA-ing

wwm0nkey

I imported Vive using forwarder to my country (it's not arrived yet)
it's quite expensive and take a long time to get here

and the talks about RMA really make me regret my decision to early purchase this :(
hopefully most problem can be solved without RMA-ing
We can only hope the firmware update fixes it

Karak

LOL did a review and ya. That game seems insanely popular. It also helped out by probably being the best immersion I have felt in a title.

Personally I just wish the guy who made vanishing realms made a bunch of rooms and allowed us to randomize it.

EekTheKat

Somewhat random thought - most if not all VR games need a World Scale slider. The difference in immersion in Project Cars is HUGE after you nail the proper world scale.

Pool Nation VR would benefit from the same thing as well, as currently certain elements feel too small.

Apparently it's somewhat of a YMMV setting, 1.45 - 1.5 feels great to me in Project Cars.

IMACOMPUTA

Yeah, you're right. I just talked to someone at valve. Receiver 1 is bricked.

I should probably just give up on VR. It's obviously not for me.

wwm0nkey

Yeah, you're right. I just talked to someone at valve. Receiver 1 is bricked.

I should probably just give up on VR. It's obviously not for me.

Wait how long did it take you for them to admit it was bricked? Took me a whole fucking day and a 3 hour long phone call until they believed me!

Again I am not getting my hopes up for Tomorrow/Monday's firmware that they contacted me about but...here's to hoping?

IMACOMPUTA

Wait how long did it take you for them to admit it was bricked? Took me a whole fucking day and a 3 hour long phone call until they believed me!

Again I am not getting my hopes up for Tomorrow/Monday's firmware that they contacted me about but...here's to hoping?

I have a contact at Valve after some prior problems I had with interference from a radio tower nearby.

He had their dongle guy look at my system report and knew right away that it was bricked.

wwm0nkey

I have a contact at Valve after some prior problems I had with interference from a radio tower nearby.

He had their dongle guy look at my system report and knew right away that it was bricked.

Well shit man :/

It sucks because it seems like some units are fine and then others just have a million and one problems

Karak

Somewhat random thought - most if not all VR games need a World Scale slider. The difference in immersion in Project Cars is HUGE after you nail the proper world scale.

Pool Nation VR would benefit from the same thing as well, as currently certain elements feel too small.

Apparently it's somewhat of a YMMV setting, 1.45 - 1.5 feels great to me in Project Cars.

Correct I would love that.

Elite Dangerous
Project Cars
Pool Nation VR
Vanishing Realms
Audio Shield
Space Pirate Trainer - $15 - This is a quick shooting arcade like experience. And I used it a lot for demo'ing quickly in 5 minutes or less.
Holopoint - $8 - The required dodging is a plus to many people and it works up a sweat. Kinda the same genre as SPT, you can get either. Or both.
TheBlu - $10 - (Whale Encounter free via WEVR Transport program instead) The whale encounter is a good first VR experience.

Wollan

Probably discussed but I noticed a huge graphics upgrade when playing The Lab in mid-may compared to playing it early April.

I was speculating if this was Valve having implemented their Adaptive Quality graphics feature detailed at GDC (basically dynamic adjustment of most graphics settings but with a focus on huge 'upwards' scaling to really get the best out of your system).

With Valve's The Lab renderer now on the Unity store this is now confirmed:
"This is the set of scripts and shaders that drove rendering in The Lab. It is a forward renderer with support for up to 18 dynamic shadowing lights in a single pass with MSAA enabled, and it included the Adaptive Quality system that dynamically adjusts rendering resolution to maintain framerate in VR."

GlamFM

Banned
OK guys.

My VIVE is up and running.

I find it super hard to find the good stuff.

I have:

-The Lab - Fantastic
-Project Cars - sucks in VR
-Tilt Brush - Great
-Job Simulator - Love it
-Fantastic Contraption - meh

What do I really need? I´m also up for cool videos or demos or whatever.

killercow

OK guys.

I have:

-The Lab - Fantastic
-Tilt Brush - Great
-Job Simulator - Love it

Try Waltz of the Wizard, The Blu and Pool Nation VR :)

derFeef

Try HordeZ - while the scale is a bit off, I find it very "house of the dead-ish" - it has room for improvement but it's arcadey shooting is actually fun and very engaging. Plus (wonky) multiplayer :)

Knch

OK guys.

I have:

-The Lab - Fantastic
-Tilt Brush - Great
-Job Simulator - Love it

Irrational Exuberance demo (and all other free roomscale stuff on steam)
Holoball (if you have the space to swing your arms about)
Minecraft

If someone suggest TheBlu, don't listen to them, they couldn't be more wrong :p

GlamFM

Banned
Irrational Exuberance demo (and all other free roomscale stuff on steam)
Holoball (if you have the space to swing your arms about)
Minecraft

Can´t find Minecraft VR on steam - where is it?

Samaritan

OK guys.

I have:

-The Lab - Fantastic
-Tilt Brush - Great
-Job Simulator - Love it

Audioshield if you have a healthy library of music and aren't afraid to experiment with what songs work and what songs don't. One of my favorite VR games that I still come back to.

derFeef

Might take some time as there are no announcements so far.

The mod is very polished anyway, it was the best VR game I have played.

It's really great. There is a more simple installation floating around on youtube, just 2 installs and you are ready to go.

bj00rn_

Banned

I hope you're joking. If disliking something is fine (which it is) then enjoying it should be fine as well, it goes both ways. theBlue is great craftsmanship and has good production value. It's a fascinating piece of work with tons of atmosphere for those of us who have "patience enough" to enjoy it (not everything needs to be epileptic flashes and mindblowing speeds..) - :p

OK guys.

I have:

-The Lab - Fantastic
-Tilt Brush - Great
-Job Simulator - Love it

Project Cars doesn't suck in VR, but it demands a lot of processing power, and a good wheel. Low resolution is a shame though, so the fundamentally important "looking ahead" when driving isn't optimal with this gen HMDs :(

Space Pirate Trainer is surprisingly fun, and so is Audioshield.

Anyway, Pool Nation VR just came out, it's good.

Final Approach is fun - IMO..

I also like Titans of Space, it's quality edu-software

..but you know how opinions work..

GlamFM

Banned
I hope you're joking. If disliking something is fine (which it is) then enjoying it should be fine as well, it goes both ways. theBlue is great craftsmanship and has good production value. It's a fascinating piece of work with tons of atmosphere for those of us who have "patience enough" to enjoy it (not everything needs to be epileptic flashes and speeds..) - :p

Project Cars doesn't suck in VR, but it demands a lot of processing power, and a good wheel. Low resolution is a shame though, so the fundamentally important "looking ahead" when driving isn't optimal with this gen HMDs :(

Space Pirate Trainer is surprisingly fun, and so is Audioshield.

Anyway, Pool Nation VR just came out, it's good.

Final Approach is fun - IMO..

I also like Titans of Space, it's quality edu-software

..but you know how opinions work..

I can run Project Cars nicely with my 1080. But still i think that it just shows that you can´t just slap VR on everything and make it good. While your cockpit and everything close to you looks nice, the resolution is not good enough to see the track ahead of you.

Knch

I hope you're joking. If disliking something is fine (which it is) then enjoying it should be fine as well, it goes both ways. theBlue is great craftsmanship and has good production value. It's a fascinating piece of work with tons of atmosphere for those of us who have "patience enough" to enjoy it (not everything needs to be epileptic flashes and speeds..) - :p

Whatever theBlu does, the Irrational Exuberance demo does way better.
(I was partly joking/trolling, you'd think the ":p" would say as much)

Maz

I fucked up real bad, the vive controller flew from my hands straight into the wall. It still connects but lost all tracking, will open it up and see if theres any loose connections but I'm not hopefull. Is there any way I can order a replacement for the controller, if not I might just cry myself to sleep tonight.

Zalusithix

Someday people will learn to use the straps meant to keep motion controllers from becoming projectiles. Maybe.

Another person had the no tracking issue and opened it up. The ZIF connector for the top tracking part had come out of the main logic board. He reconnected, reassembled and was good to go. There is/was some talk about factory calibration possibly being affected, however.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

TheBlu is a fantastic "my first VR experience" its the place to start if you want to show this to friends family etc. If your just looking for meaty gaming experiences then no just skip it.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
i might wrap some black hockey tape around the section of the handle that doesn't have grip buttons just to help against accidental slips ..I insist that people wear the straps or they can't play

Onemic

I can run Project Cars nicely with my 1080. But still i think that it just shows that you can´t just slap VR on everything and make it good. While your cockpit and everything close to you looks nice, the resolution is not good enough to see the track ahead of you.

Have you tried downsampling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom