• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

Just bought Cloudlands, modbox and Space Pirate trainer. Will buy theBlu when it releases. Thats brings my total list to

apps:
Jaunt
Virtual desktop
Apollo 11
IKEA VR

demo:
Budget Cuts Demo
Descent underground

Games:
Elite Dangerous
Cloudlands VR minigolf
The Lab
Modbox
Space Pirate Trainer
Fantastic Contraption
Job Simulator
Tilt Brush

I really need to free up some space or buy another drive. 250GB boot SSD, 1TB SSD for games, 1TB HDD all nearly full. Whats the sweet spot for HDDs these days - 2TB?

I'd say 3 TB.

charpunk

Watching this giant bomb stream is making me want to cry in the corner because my vive is not shipped yet.

Way more excited for this now than my rift that is also never coming my way.

Durante

Watching this giant bomb stream is making me want to cry in the corner because my vive is not shipped yet.

Way more excited for this now than my rift that is also never coming my way.
Hey, your Rift could simply show up on your doorstep without any previous indication!

I can tell you from experience that it probably wouldn't do too much for your Vive anxiety though.

iceatcs

Can I develop an app or game for Vive?

Kind confused with Vive Pre (Is it devkit or beta version before Vive?)

Compsiox

Banned
the overwhelming enthusiasm in response to the vive is amazing. I remember the first time they demoed the valve room at dev days, it felt like the goddamn future. They said it would be the experience we'd have at home in 3 years, and here we are today.

I can't wait to see the innovation this encourages.

Vive Pre is the latest development kit for the Vive. Differences to the consumer version are minimal. Different strap, no bluetooth, no camera.

[EDIT] Oh yeah, it does have the camera.

Compsiox

Banned

The Pre was the devkit but it is the same as the consumer version in almost every way. You can build games with the consumer Vive too.

Vive Pre is the latest development kit for the Vive. Differences to the consumer version are minimal. Different strap, no bluetooth, no camera.

It has the camera

iceatcs

Oh right, so you don't need a specify hardware devkit to build an app or games?

Sound, my consumer Vive pre-orders more justifiably each day.

coughlanio

GB stream overreacting about the space demands for Roomscale.

I live in a 354ft^2 Japanese apartment, Roomscale works fine for me.

I have a single sensor on my desk, and the second on a chest in the opposite corner, both at about waist height. This gives me about 2m x 2m of play space, and it's been fine for everything I've tried so far. Tracking works perfectly.

Mounting the sensors and dedicating a 5m x 5m space is completely optional.

EDIT:

An example:

PjLIdCp.png

I wonder what would people react to VR when the game/pc crashes for whatever reason. Sudden interruption of reality can be hard to react to.

taco543

Just bought Cloudlands, modbox and Space Pirate trainer. Will buy theBlu when it releases. Thats brings my total list to

apps:
Jaunt
Virtual desktop
Apollo 11
IKEA VR

demo:
Budget Cuts Demo
Descent underground

Games:
Elite Dangerous
Cloudlands VR minigolf
The Lab
Modbox
Space Pirate Trainer
Fantastic Contraption
Job Simulator
Tilt Brush

I really need to free up some space or buy another drive. 250GB boot SSD, 1TB SSD for games, 1TB HDD all nearly full. Whats the sweet spot for HDDs these days - 2TB?
I have two internal 4tb one strictly for media the other strictly for games. And if they're lucky like the witcher the get installed on the boot ssd

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Installing all of the free stuff I can right now. Might as well be prepared even if I'll be waiting for May.

Samaritan

I am dealing with some tough life decisions.

My roommate just told me she wanted to move out at the end of April...trying to decide if I want to re-rent the room or turn it into my VR room!

VR room and then rent the room w/ VR on an hourly basis. ;)

viveks86

apps:
Jaunt
Virtual desktop
Apollo 11
IKEA VR

demo:
Budget Cuts Demo
Descent underground

Games:
Elite Dangerous
Cloudlands VR minigolf
The Lab
Modbox
Space Pirate Trainer
Fantastic Contraption
Job Simulator
Tilt Brush

No Gallery?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I wonder if I should buy a high end gaming PC, or prefer a MSI portable but less powerful laptop, so that I can use my Vive in more places. What do you recommend GAF?

Mikeside

I wonder if I should buy a high end gaming PC, or prefer a MSI portable but less powerful laptop, so that I can use my Vive in more places. What do you recommend GAF?

I don't think any current mobile GPUs work with VR, do they?

If you're going with a laptop, wait and see what Pascal ones are like

Sky Chief

My FedEx tracking said Wednesday until 9:00 this morning and now it's out for delivery!!! Hype, hype, hype! Fuck work, I'm going home. NorCal BTW.

Durante

A laptop which can run VR well, if such a thing exists at all, would be hideously expensive. Compared to a equally -- or, in fact, more -- capable desktop PC.

A laptop which can run VR well, if such a thing exists at all, would be hideously expensive. Compared to a equally -- or, in fact, more -- capable desktop PC.

I think alienware has 970s but they are like an external videocard devices

ALso wtf game are they playing on the giant bombcast it looks awesome.

oh man you can't download the three free games early because they don't know you own a vive until you get it :( :( :(

also theblu isn't up yet? I want to predownload that too incase I get my vive today.

i got a lot of other games downloaded and ready now at least

the discussion they just had on giant bomb is something I want to see. Proper motion controllers and still having regular movement. Jeff said he didnt think the touchpad on the controller would work for it, and that makes me nervous but I think it could work in place of an analog stick.

Zaptruder

Banned
Got mine, set it up, bought quite a few games... and have preorders games pending (actually if anyone knows how to get the preorder copy of tiltbrush and job simulator, let me know, that'd be great).

Setup - a biitttccchhhh. If people want to try this, they're coming over here to try it.

Also a bit buggy... had my controllers and HMD just not register a few times. Had to do a voodoo dance to get them working again (restarted steamVR, restarted comp, restarted controllers, restarted the lighthouses (by taking the power cord out and reinserting them), resynced... in the end pulling out the USB on the linkbox and replugging it seems to get the most reaction... although not consistent everytime).

Also the included headphones are good... tried my wireless headphones... heavy, battery goes. Tried my highend IEMs - for some reason I was getting static shocks while using them. Tried the packed in IEMs - good - short cable, decent sound... just don't share.

Games.

Final Approach. The best version of Flight Control ever. It's still flight control in the end. Love it or hate it - it's a gaming staple like tower defense. Fun to see the island and little planes in miniature, although the resolution leaves you unable to fully appreciate them unless you get your face up close... at which point the planes will all die while you admire the scenery.

Minigolf VR. Eh... if you like minigolf you'll like this. Less feedback and solidity than real golf... but a lot cheaper and a lot more variety. Only tried a few holes. Not obvious where to go on the map. Wayfinding is poor. I went from 1st to 2nd to 9th to... I don't know.

Space Pirate Trainer VR. Oh god yes. It's so simple, but so pure. Two guns that you switch between multiple weapon types (semi auto laser sight pistol, triple shot auto SMGs, full auto SMGs, high powered sniping laser pistol (really hard to use) and beam laser. You face an increasing number of waves of small drones that attack you from all angles - when they fire you get a bit of bullet time to get out of the way. No VR based movement, so it's all you. This game is pure roomscale... but I also imagine that it'll be really bad for people with small rooms (I have 1.8 x 2.8m available, and even there I was full blown crashing into shit trying to dodge bullets). Kinda like the equivalent of Devil Daggers in VR (not really, but you don't survive long, the gameplay is simple, and you just keep going). Super catchy music.

A Legend of Luca - Not what I expected. You get Zelda 1 style dungeon rooms - rectangles... and the boundaries of your roomspace are the boundaries of the dungeon rooms. The game map is the size of 12" action figures (or something at a smaller scale than full size, but not miniature). You move to dodge. Problem with this game is the traversal is not great. You put your hand at the doors to open them - that's fine - but it'll teleport you into the next room... and of course the virtual room boundaries are locked to the physical room boundaries, so you enter the room... and you're teleported to the far side of the room. Disorientating... and also means that you're not facing enemies the right way when you enter. I'll give it another shot... or maybe I'll refund it :p

IKEA VR Experience - Nice and detailed. Not much interactivity. It's kinda like going into one of their kitchen demo rooms... A real ikea has dozens such rooms. Tile based teleportation movement. Didn't really like that.

Elite Dangerous in VR: I love Elite's combat. And in VR it's just so so good. Shame that the rest of the game is there to slow it the fuck down. It'd pay full price for an Elite that focused on a space opera campaign ala Wing Commander or Freespace. Well... I mean, I paid more than full price for Elite, but it's just a really poorly structured game for people starting out. Shit like - here's the mission and you have to talk to a contact. What contact? He'll contact you? So what do I do? Just fly around until... I got no clue.

And finally...

Vanishing Realms.

It's everything that you'd hope VR could be. The perfection of video games. Nah, not really. It's super awesome, full scale dungeon crawling hack and slash. Highly responsive, good visuals, fun challenge. Move by pointing on the ground and teleporting. Did I say highly responsive? Because the teleportation is highly responsive.
You'll feel like a bad ass as you zip in bash a monster, zip back out, and parry and block and... oh god it's just so good. Then there's the bow... yes, just like a bow should be! Must buy for the Vive.
To be sure, there's a lot of room for improvement with this game (as with all of them) - but what it's done, it's done very well... and it's a long held realization of the larping dream in VR.

Feet are sore. Spent many hours on feet playing VR games today. It's a work out. There's no going back to normal video games after this... they're just so... flat and stuck on a monitor...

TheCrow

Glad to see vanishing realms is being well received. Was looking forward to it but there wasn't much coverage out there.

b0bbyJ03

Does anyone know if the height placement of the lighthouses are extremely important? I live in a small NYC apartment that has solid walls (not sheetrock) so I doubt I'll be able to mount them. Will they work if i place them on tables?

dhonk

Does anyone know if the height placement of the lighthouses are extremely important? I live in a small NYC apartment that has solid walls (not sheetrock) so I doubt I'll be able to mount them. Will they work if i place them on tables?

Its possible youll be fine, but its easier to occlude the lasers if they are low. (People walking by, etc)

Wallach

You can do what I'm doing and use 3rd Hand contractor poles and mount them to those with pipe grip camera mounts. Links to both of those are in the OP.

Melon Husk

Feet are sore. Spent many hours on feet playing VR games today. It's a work out. There's no going back to normal video games after this... they're just so... flat and stuck on a monitor...

Humanity is not doomed, yet

Duuude. For the first few days I had my Vive I was playing with it from the moment I woke up until I passed out in AltspaceVR at 5 am.

How does it feel like waking up in a virtual space?

Compsiox

Banned
Humanity is not doomed, yet

How does it feel like waking up in a virtual space?

It was pretty terrible because the game was frozen when I woke up and I almost had a panic attack. I think it was because I need to better tune my CPU clock and voltage.

Also I wouldn't recommend it because burn in is a very likely possibility. I was extremely lucky.

Yoritomo

Duuude. For the first few days I had my Vive I was playing with it from the moment I woke up until I passed out in AltspaceVR at 5 am.

I think I'm overhyped but this sort of change to non-sedentary interaction could be huge for health.

I wonder how VR could help things like Seasonal Affective disorder.

So glad to have a Vive on pre-order. Vanishing Realms just shot up to the top of my list to play. Now if only I could actually get the Vive delivered!

Bizzquik

Anyone know...?
How easy is it to change the settings (and area) in SteamVR from Seated position to Room-Scale position...?

I have the Rift, but am interested in the Vive. What I'd like to be able to do is easily switch from the Seated sensor of the Rift in my living room to the two Room-Scale sensor modules of the Vive near my dining room.

My hope is that this could be done at the press of a button - rather than manually having to recalibrate each time I switch (distance from sensor to position, heighth of sensor, usable area, etc).

ah weird. it's $10 instead of free for the first, buy the other two. I still think it's a great thing to see first but I can't use the "it's free!" justification. if you want to show people the vive i think it's worth the $10 for a demo to show people. but hey if you don't want to drop $10 then that's understandable.

Compsiox

Banned
Anyone know...?
How easy is it to change the settings (and area) in SteamVR from Seated position to Room-Scale position...?

I have the Rift, but am interested in the Vive. What I'd like to be able to do is easily switch from the Seated sensor of the Rift in my living room to the two Room-Scale sensor modules of the Vive near my dining room.

My hope is that this could be done at the press of a button - rather than manually having to recalibrate each time I switch (distance from sensor to position, heighth of sensor, usable area, etc).
Haven't even tried standing or seated with my Vive. I'll message you when I get the chance to try it tonight.

Elite Dangerous in VR: I love Elite's combat. And in VR it's just so so good. Shame that the rest of the game is there to slow it the fuck down. It'd pay full price for an Elite that focused on a space opera campaign ala Wing Commander or Freespace. Well... I mean, I paid more than full price for Elite, but it's just a really poorly structured game for people starting out. Shit like - here's the mission and you have to talk to a contact. What contact? He'll contact you? So what do I do? Just fly around until... I got no clue.

And finally...

Vanishing Realms.

It's everything that you'd hope VR could be. The perfection of video games. Nah, not really. It's super awesome, full scale dungeon crawling hack and slash. Highly responsive, good visuals, fun challenge. Move by pointing on the ground and teleporting. Did I say highly responsive? Because the teleportation is highly responsive.
You'll feel like a bad ass as you zip in bash a monster, zip back out, and parry and block and... oh god it's just so good. Then there's the bow... yes, just like a bow should be! Must buy for the Vive.
To be sure, there's a lot of room for improvement with this game (as with all of them) - but what it's done, it's done very well... and it's a long held realization of the larping dream in VR.

can someone start an OT for Vanishing Realms? cant wait til i see the video tonight. already have ED, but cant wait for a vive to arrive an for Vanishing Realms. VR in VR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom