• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
While all third person, the camera in Lucky's Tale, Chronos and Edge of Nowhere all appear to be quite different.
In Lucky's Tale, it's not connected to your character movement, but moves along a fixed path as you go through the level.
In Chronos, it's a fixed position in each room.
In Edge of Nowhere, it's fixed behind the character.

Does Chronos work with Revive?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
For people spending money on the oculus store, it might be a good idea to firewall it to stop it from updating after you finish downloading your games.

It's pretty quick to set up, and after you do all you have to do is shift-click the rules, right click, and select enable/disable rule to toggle it on and off for when you need the store to access the internet.

Firewall Instructions

C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-client\OculusClient.exe
C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRServer_x64.exe
C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRServiceLauncher.exe

It's possible I'm missing something, but this basically makes revive pretty much risk free for currently working games, outside of potentially losing the ability to redownload the games you bought.

For people spending money on the oculus store, it might be a good idea to firewall it to stop it from updating after you finish downloading your games.

It's pretty quick to set up, and after you do all you have to do is shift-click the rules, right click, and select enable/disable rule to toggle it on and off for when you need the store to access the internet.

Firewall Instructions

C:program FilesOculusSupportoculus-clientOculusClient.exe
C:program FilesOculusSupportoculus-runtimeOVRServer_x64.exe
C:program FilesOculusSupportoculus-runtimeOVRServiceLauncher.exe

It's possible I'm missing something, but this basically makes revive pretty much risk free for currently working games, outside of potentially losing the ability to redownload the games you bought.

Thanks so much.

I'm just backing up the games themselves. Remember, Revive removes the DRM, so you can actually run them without having Oculus Home installed at all*!

*You have to copy some DLL's into the game's executable directory, but it's pretty easy. I could post a full tutorial if people are interested.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I'm just backing up the games themselves. Remember, Revive removes the DRM, so you can actually run them without having Oculus Home installed at all*!

*You have to copy some DLL's into the game's executable directory, but it's pretty easy. I could post a full tutorial if people are interested.

I'd be interested in knowing which files need to be copied, unless it is just the same as the old Revive setup where you have to copy the DLLs.

Just played "Irrational Exuberance: Prologue"

Very nice little experience similar to Sightline: The Chair. My only problem with what they have so far is that that they designed the local environment to be a size in which my outstretched hands are almost always close enough to the boundaries to cause the chaperone to come on. And I have more than the minimum amount of playspace

Just played "Irrational Exuberance: Prologue"

Very nice little experience similar to Sightline: The Chair. My only problem with what they have so far is that that they designed the local environment to be a size in which my outstretched hands are almost always close enough to the boundaries to cause the chaperone to come on. And I have more than the minimum amount of playspace

That's the only reason I don't demo it for people. The edges of the cave are pretty much exactly where my walls are in the room. It's not a problem for me as I can take it easy and not bash the controllers, but I don't trust family and friends to do the same.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm like 95% sure at this point that my judder/stutter/whatever issues are just my GPU not being strong enough. I put on my headset and it was like 20x worse than it's ever been, realized I'd left some GPU intensive stuff open, closed that and it was back to the normal just-a-little-bit level of before. Upgrade can't come soon enough... and no one knows when the card I want is actually going on sale. Bleh

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Lucky's Tale really looks fantastic on the Vive...what a great looking game.

However, this was the straw that broke the camel's back when it comes to my motion sickness. Seated VR is just NOT for me. after about 15-20 seconds of play I actually fell forward out of my seat to the left. Really bad, but thankfully brief, vertigo. I don't think I will be playing this title again. If you could stand above the level and move around it within the room it would have been fine...but having my head turn into a camera that is dollying behind the main character was just....AWFUL.
Yep. Seated VR is awful. It is nauseating. I can't believe seated VR is an actual thing. It's super disorienting.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Some seated games don't have any weird camera movement like Lucky's Tale has, such as Chronos and Esper. And some room scale games have a lot more movement than Lucky's Tale has, like Windlands and Astral Dome.

It is still a shame that some people can't even handle Lucky's Tale though. That's about as mild as you can get before restricting things solely to small play areas, teleports, and fixed camera positions.

Some seated games don't have any weird camera movement like Lucky's Tale has, such as Chronos and Esper. And some room scale games have a lot more movement than Lucky's Tale has, like Windlands and Astral Dome.

It is still a shame that some people can't even handle Lucky's Tale though. That's about as mild as you can get before restricting things solely to small play areas, teleports, and fixed camera positions.

Windlands dev said it'd be nice if Steam had a way to show the intensity level of a game.

I don't have any problem with seated VR and some games have to be played seated. Try to play gz3doom standing up and then tell me seated VR isn't a legitimate way to VR

GlamFM

Banned
Second weekend with my VIVE and I start being worried about the future potential of this.

The resolution is not good enough to support "classic" games in VR. I´m NOT going to use this thing for racing or flying sims like I thought I would.

I wonder if this thing has already reached it´s full potential with "experiences" like Job Simulator and it´s sort of a Wii situation that started and ended with Wii Sports.

Money on my first PC is still not wasted - Stardew Valley is pretty great ;)

EDIT: Pool Nation is garbage and shows the limits of VR pretty clearly - In a game that I though would be great for VR.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
GlamFM, I'm playing Rocket League on a big VR screen, and I enjoy playing it there, instead of on my 144htz asus monitor.

Second weekend with my VIVE and I start being worried about the future potential of this.

The resolution is not good enough to support "classic" games in VR. I´m NOT going to use this thing for racing or flying sims like I thought I would.

I wonder if this thing has already reached it´s full potential with "experiences" like Job Simulator and it´s sort of a Wii situation that started and ended with Wii Sports.

EDIT: Pool Nation is garbage and shows the limits of VR pretty clearly - In a game that I though would be great for VR.

I found the resolution fine for project cars, but I think it must vary person to person :( quite a few people have said they don't like it as they are trying to stare into the distance.

To be fair I suppose I was driving short, twisty , tracks so I've not been barrelling down the mulsanne straight trying to spot the chicane...

I found the resolution fine for project cars, but I think it must vary person to person :( quite a few people have said they don't like it as they are trying to stare into the distance.

To be fair I suppose I was driving short, twisty , tracks so I've not been barrelling down the mulsanne straight trying to spot the chicane...

I'm in a halfway point with PCars. Generally when I'm driving (in real life at least) I keep my focus pretty far into the distance, which is more or less impossible here. I also feel like I need to drive with the race path assistant on to not constantly be surprised by turns. That being said, I really love playing the game in VR and I haven't bothered even trying it on flat screen yet.

My 1080 is supposed to turn up today, so hopefully I can crank the resolution a bit to get cleaner image.

GlamFM

Banned
I'm in a halfway point with PCars. Generally when I'm driving (in real life at least) I keep my focus pretty far into the distance, which is more or less impossible here. I also feel like I need to drive with the race path assistant on to not constantly be surprised by turns. That being said, I really love playing the game in VR and I haven't bothered even trying it on flat screen yet.

My 1080 is supposed to turn up today, so hopefully I can crank the resolution a bit to get cleaner image.

Never changed the resolution, just assumed it would default to the res of the VIVE. Will check tonight.

Ah yeah, I had the line assistant on too...plus I knew the tracks already. I'll try it without, and on an unfamiliar track, to see what it's really like.

I agree with you and I am sort of astounded that with the full court coverage of VR - so many demos and press articles and endless freaking YouTube videos - so few people were actually saying this clearly. Perhaps the novelty of the stereoscopic effect and tracking overwhelms ones judgement.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I agree with you and I am sort of astounded that with the full court coverage of VR - so many demos and press articles and endless freaking YouTube videos - so few people were actually saying this clearly. Perhaps the novelty of the stereoscopic effect and tracking overwhelms ones judgement.

Or perhaps different people have realistic expectations and different taste in games.

Edit: and the resolution and SDE were commented in so many articles and discussions, including the ones on this forum, so maybe the error in judgement is not where you think it is. Or at least failure in researching for what you buy.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat

Weird. I've been using it to play/replay new Doom, Overwatch in Big Screen, and the Witcher 3. I guess it is person to person.

bj00rn_

Banned
That's the mother of hyperboles, but I guess it's an opinion so that's that.

It's an opinion, but very few of us appreciates to be reeled into a bizarro world of ridiculous subjectivity. Hyperbolic opinions like that tends to make people not respect the author, and a fast lane to ignore lists.

"Pool Nation doesn't work very well in VR"

Very simple and effective.

I´m NOT going to use this thing for racing or flying sims like I thought I would.

At least I can agree with this..

Edit: Well.. It looks like my brain read a "as much" into the sentence there.. There's no way in hell I'm going to completely abandon VR racing and VR flight sim. Short flying sessions in DCS f.ex. is just a too good experience in the Vive to miss. Flying a Mustang in DCS at a couple of thousand feet gave me my first feeling of "true" presence.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
But why would I do that? I don't get the frame rate nor the resolution.

I can't begin to argue why you would do something, I'm not you.

For me, vorpx only needs 45FPS. The resolution doesn't bother me, given a fully scaled world outweighs the resolution for me.

Edit: and the resolution and SDE were commented in so many articles and discussions, including the ones on this forum, so maybe the error in judgement is not where you think it is. Or at least failure in researching for what you buy.

There is a difference between commenting on it somewhere in the text, and actually making clear what is realistic and what isn't. For example how many Vive review articles or youtube reviews include what one eye _sees_ - not what a bystander sees on the monitor - but a reasonable go at what one eye sees inside the display. Something someone with photoshop could have done pretty easily.

And then there was a lot of stuff about watching movies on a big screen, running your desktop - or multiple desktops - as an alternative to a monitor. But there wasn't much feedback on whether the experience was quality enough to actually be satisfied doing those things. Because it isn't.

(Cue someone who will say they are delighted to watch netflix under VR on a big movie screen in a fake theatre, or they like having a huge virtual desktop in VR, but sorry, I don't believe you. I mean I believe you've fooled yourself but I don't believe the habit will stick).

By the way I'm actually not complaining about having been misled personally, however I do believe that the number of hype articles heavily outweighs (what I think are more) balanced ones and its easy when considering a $1000+ purchase to get carried away with the positives because you need a lot of positives to justify the cost.

so a lot of computer stuff seems to be coming out this year? I want to upgrade my computer completely, but I want to wait until these new advancements come out to see what my options are. it's a pretty annoying wait.

derFeef

Is there a solid guide of how you buy and play Oculus exclusives on the Vive with reVive?
Edge of Nowhere looks really interesting.

Is there a solid guide of how you buy and play Oculus exclusives on the Vive with reVive?
Edge of Nowhere looks really interesting.

I would wait for someone else to confirm that it works, but the newer versions of Revive will scan your installed Oculus games and show up in SteamVR as a separate menu item. It's pretty much native at this point.

derFeef

I would wait for someone else to confirm that it works, but the newer versions of Revive will scan your installed Oculus games and show up in SteamVR as a separate menu item. It's pretty much native at this point.

So install Oculus store, buy game there, check with ReVive and I am good to go?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
There is a difference between commenting on it somewhere in the text, and actually making clear what is realistic and what isn't. For example how many Vive review articles or youtube reviews include what one eye _sees_ - not what a bystander sees on the monitor - but a reasonable go at what one eye sees inside the display. Something someone with photoshop could have done pretty easily.

And then there was a lot of stuff about watching movies on a big screen, running your desktop - or multiple desktops - as an alternative to a monitor. But there wasn't much feedback on whether the experience was quality enough to actually be satisfied doing those things. Because it isn't.

(Cue someone who will say they are delighted to watch netflix under VR on a big movie screen in a fake theatre, or they like having a huge virtual desktop in VR, but sorry, I don't believe you. I mean I believe you've fooled yourself but I don't believe the habit will stick).

By the way I'm actually not complaining about having been misled personally, however I do believe that the number of hype articles heavily outweighs (what I think are more) balanced ones and its easy when considering a $1000+ purchase to get carried away with the positives because you need a lot of positives to justify the cost.

Like the number of people who are satisfied with their VR headsets heavily outweighs the number of people dissatisfied despite the latter trying to post as often as possible their dissatisfaction (BTW, did you sell yours?). So the articles and reviews are a mirror of the audience. And yes, there were a number of videos showing the view through the lenses if that would have interested you. For practical reasons it's much easier to show everything through spectator mode, but again, the resolution and the SDE weren't hidden info.

And you practically said that whoever is not disappointed by VR doesn't have a good judgement. Just because you came into it with unrealistic expectations and choose to ignore the arguments made (like even this about watching a movie, it was said so many times that the resolution for that is quite low and while the effect is spectacular it doesn't beat watching the movie in HD). Still doesn't mean that people can't prefer to use the theater mode or virtual desktop for convenience.

If people are enjoying this more than you or have more realistic expectations it doesn't mean that they have a poor judgement and it's not up to you to decide what people should enjoy or not.

Fine, VR (or the first gens of it) it's not for you, but that doesn't make your opinion in any way better or more relevant than others'. Sorry, but everything that you complain about was discussed before, there's no conspiracy to hide things.

And yes, the tech, the immersion and the possibilities are spectacular enough for most people who try it and overcome the negatives.

I can't believe anyone, after playing budget cuts for instance, can fail to see how much potential there is in VR gaming. Theres pretty much a range of new games and experiences launching weekly on Steam.

Its all about opinions however.

GlamFM

Banned
I can't believe anyone, after playing budget cuts for instance, can fail to see how much potential there is in VR gaming. Theres pretty much a range of new games and experiences launching weekly on Steam.

Its all about opinions however.

I´m sure that´s what everybody thought after playing Wii Tennis back in the day.

Little did they know that the entire "motion movement" peaked right there.

Not saying there is no potential, but I adjusted my expectations from "sky is the limit" to "there is always hope".

Like the number of people who are satisfied with their VR headsets heavily outweighs the number of people dissatisfied despite the latter trying to post as often as possible their dissatisfaction (BTW, did you sell yours?). So the articles and reviews are a mirror of the audience.
I don't know about you, I expect reviewers to not have to worry about whether they have purchased, sold or plan to sell something - but just *review* it. Tell me whether how good it is, and how bad it is, don't pull punches, and let me make up my mind.

And yes, there were a number of videos showing the view through the lenses if that would have interested you. For practical reasons it's much easier to show everything through spectator mode, but again, the resolution and the SDE weren't hidden info.

I consume a lot of media, much more that typical especially on something like this. And did not see that. Now that I know what it is, I could go back and look. But really - if you are reviewing something for the eyes, don't you want to place that kind of thing front and center? I know it is technically difficult to put away the screen shot tool or the live stream tool, and consider how one might represent the in-headset experience but it is sort of key, really. Would you review a TV or monitor by pasting in the raw PNGs used in testing? or try to show how the monitor displays them?

And you practically said that whoever is not disappointed by VR doesn't have a good judgement.

Ok now you're getting defensive. No that wasn't what I said at all. What I said was someone who says they are satisfied with using a virtual desktop, or watching movies on big-screen simulations of home theater, is actually fooling themselves and won't stick with that habit. And I'll stand by that. In fact it is almost a marker, a tell, as to whether someone has let the possibilities of VR in future cloud their judgement of the realities of it now.

As to the rest of your post, I didn't come in with unrealistic expectations I don't know why you assume that, because I actually already said I'm not dissatisfied and do not regret the purchase. However, my point is that if I was guided only by the breathless press out there so far, I *would* have unrealistic expectations and *may* be somewhat annoyed that more was not stated on the negatives, right up front.

It isn't like anyone is actually denying the negatives, they just don't seem to want to highlight them. (they, being press and many but not all early adopters). It seems like a typical early reaction to something new. Accentuate all the reasons to jump on board and don't be a debbie downer.

If VR is promoted by mainly talking about the immersion and the tracking, and the new experiences (and the experiences are shown in perfect video feeds and screen shots) and the screen, optics, comfort, resolution and so on are given a sort of foot-note, then it won't be serving the people well at least until extended time with it is possible before purchase.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I´m sure that´s what everybody thought after playing Wii Tennis back in the day.

Little did they know that the entire "motion movement" peaked right there.

Not saying there is no potential, but I adjusted my expectations from "sky is the limit" to "there is always hope".

What's your issue exactly? The resolution will only get better with the next gens of HMDs and GPUs.

Why the comparison with Wii Tennis? Do the motion controls bother you? I don't grasp exactly what you think about you say "sky is the limit", what's the ideal use in your imagination?

Ok now you're getting defensive. No that wasn't what I said at all.

Maybe you didn't, but this is what it looked to me:

Perhaps the novelty of the stereoscopic effect and tracking overwhelms ones judgement.

As for consuming a lot of media, I guess you missed the opinions and reviews that said to wait if you're not an enthusiast (starting with Giant Bomb and continuing with a lot of media). And I have nothing else to say in this discussion really, because you try to play both the "I'm very informed" and "the media tricks the people" in the same discussion and I can't play this without a tinfoil.

GReeeeN

I can't get my lighthouses to automatically go to sleep once I close SteamVR. I've tried re-installing the Bluetooth driver, updating firmware, etc

am I missing something here?, any tips?

I can't get my lighthouses to automatically go to sleep once I close SteamVR. I've tried re-installing the Bluetooth driver, updating firmware, etc

I didnt even realise they could sleep, I keep leaving them on by mistake. Probably not a good idea since it has moving parts.

GlamFM

Banned
What's your issue exactly? The resolution will only get better with the next gens of HMDs and GPUs.

Why the comparison with Wii Tennis? Do the motion controls bother you? I don't grasp exactly what you think about you say "sky is the limit", what's the ideal use in your imagination?

Maybe you didn't, but this is what it looked to me:

Not the motion controls per se, it´s more the realization that the entire set-up only works in very specific cases with very specific kind of software made especially for it.

Job Simulator is kind of perfect. A virtual room scaled to fit in your actual room, filled with little dumb tasks and funny writing.

The Lab is also nice, but it´s a minigame collection.

I just wonder if this is already more or less the full potential.

It reminds me of the Wii. Wii Sports was also a minigame collection meant to show of the potential. Everybody was SOOOOOOO hyped!

If this dumb minigame collection (Wii Sports) is already that great - JUST IMAGINE WHAT`S TO COME!

But soon the entire motion Control thing became just an annoyance.

The entire VR thing could go the same way - "This is kinda neat in VR, but I´d rather play on my monitor with mouse and keyboard"

Blame Pool Nation for my adjusted outlook on the entire tech.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

It takes usually up to 1-2 minutes to go to sleep and when they go the led is still green, but the channel doesn't show anymore.

Blame Pool Nation for my adjusted outlook on the entire tech.

OK, then what issues do you have with Pool Nation?

GlamFM

Banned
It takes usually up to 1-2 minutes to go to sleep and when they go the led is still green, but the channel doesn't show anymore.

OK, then what issues do you have with Pool Nation?

It takes 64 times as long to set up a shot than it would in real life - and that´s after you teleported around 13 times until you reach the desired position.

I was exhausted after one game.

Helznicht

Not the motion controls per se, it´s more the realization that the entire set-up only works in very specific cases with very specific kind of software made especially for it.

Job Simulator is kind of perfect. A virtual room scaled to fit in your actual room, filled with little dumb tasks and funny writing.

The Lab is also nice, but it´s a minigame collection.

I just wonder if this is already more or less the full potential.

Have you tried Vanishing Realms? Its not a mini game collection and shows what a full fledged adventure game can be. Honestly its all about Elite Dangerous for me. Had it for months before VR and hardly played it. Now I am running missions daily.

Pool Nation, I agree with you, I refunded on steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom