• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlamFM

Banned
Have you tried Vanishing Realms? Its not a mini game collection and shows what a full fledged adventure game can be. Honestly its all about Elite Dangerous for me. Had it for months before VR and hardly played it. Now I am running missions daily.

Pool Nation, I agree with you, I refunded on steam.

I played Elite quite a bit on XBOX ONE, I was worried that it would be Project Cars deal where the resolution would be a serious issue.

I´ll give it a shot - thanks!

EDIT: Vanishing Realms looks cool! Will check it out tonight.

It takes 64 times as long to set up a shot than it would in real life - and that´s after you teleported around 13 times until you reach the desired position.

I was exhausted after one game.

I didn't get on with Virtual Pool either (refunded it) but you can teleport by using the edge of the table, you dont actually have to aim at the floor. Makes it a lot easier to move around. I agree with you though, the aiming just felt like a chore to me and also leaning to line up a shot with nothing to actually lean on was bad. I know there are workarounds, but then I don't feel like I'm playing pool.

I played Elite quite a bit on XBOX ONE, I was worried that it would be Project Cars deal where the resolution would be a serious issue.

The resolution is absolutely fucked right now with Elite. I have still played it a bit, but I'm patiently waiting for them to fix it. It's taking much longer than I hoped.

Scared to play it in 4k as I don't want to put myself off playing it in VR after seeing how nice it would probably look. Must admit though, after already playing it for around 80 hours on a monitor and then playing it in VR (despite the problems) is amazing.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It takes 64 times as long to set up a shot than it would in real life - and that´s after you teleported around 13 times until you reach the desired position.

I was exhausted after one game.

I wish you wouldn't talk so much in hyperboles, because it makes me ask you stupid questions, like if you know that you can lock the cue using the trigger or if you know that you can teleport on the edge of the table on the position you want and you can even walk to adjust your position.

Helznicht

Oh its a problem for sure (again not because the HMD IMO, but because it takes a powerful PC to run high res quality and top AA on the 2 HMD displays. But between being able to set AA, SS and HMD res quality separately in ED, you can try to find something that works for you and your rig. Low HMD res and higher SS makes for a softer image with less aliasing if you start to get judder.

Vid of me rocking Aretha Franklin on the other side of the Galaxy. :p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRsTTGjCgQU

GlamFM

Banned
I wish you wouldn't talk so much in hyperboles, because it makes me ask you stupid questions, like if you know that you can lock the cue using the trigger or if you know that you can teleport on the edge of the table on the position you want and you can even walk to adjust your position.

Hyperbole is a strong tool for non-native speakers.

I don´t have the vocabulary for level headed debate.

(It took my 80 hours to type this)

<3

Oh its a problem for sure (again not because the HMD IMO, but because it takes a powerful PC to run high res quality and top AA on the 2 HMD displays. But between being able to set AA, SS and HMD res quality separately in ED, you can try to find something that works for you and your rig. Low HMD res and higher SS makes for a softer image with less aliasing if you start to get judder.

Vid of me rocking Aretha Franklin on the other side of the Galaxy. :p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRsTTGjCgQU

I have a 1080, so I guess I´m good (?)

EDIT, awesom Vid BTW. Do you play Elite on VR with regular or motion controller?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Hyperbole is a strong tool for non-native speakers.

I don´t have the vocabulary for level headed debate.

(It took my 80 hours to type this)

<3

Tell me at least that you knew what I said in the previous post and that you teleport so much and take so long to take a shot because you're a perfectionist and you're in the never ending search of the perfect shot.

GlamFM

Banned
Tell me at least that you knew what I said in the previous post and that you teleport so much and take so long to take a shot because you're a perfectionist and you need always the perfect shot.

Did not know about the edge of the table thing - so that made it a lot harder for me to reach the opposite side of the table since I always teleported around it in a few steps.

XShagrath

I can't get my lighthouses to automatically go to sleep once I close SteamVR. I've tried re-installing the Bluetooth driver, updating firmware, etc

am I missing something here?, any tips?

I'm pretty sure you have to go in the Settings and turn on Bluetooth in order for the headset to send a signal to the lighthouses to shut off. I'm not at my desktop right now, so I can't tell you exactly where that setting is at though.

Zalusithix

Did not know about the edge of the table thing - so that made it a lot harder for me to reach the opposite side of the table since I always teleported around it in a few steps.

Well, that makes a massive difference right there. Did you know that holding both controller grips allows you to reposition the world in relation to you? Between the table edge teleport and the reposition function, you can make your way around the table quite quickly. Lining up a shot might take time, but it wont be because of moving around the table. If anything, you can move around the table faster in VR than real life.

GReeeeN

I'm pretty sure you have to go in the Settings and turn on Bluetooth in order for the headset to send a signal to the lighthouses to shut off. I'm not at my desktop right now, so I can't tell you exactly where that setting is at though.

Yeh the setting is on, it went into standby once last night but never since

Helznicht

I have a 1080, so I guess I´m good (?)

EDIT, awesom Vid BTW. Do you play Elite on VR with regular or motion controller?

Thanks, I use a Thrustmaster Hotas X ($45)

I only have a 970. If you have a 1080, I would love to hear more on how far you can push PCars on the AA side before you drop below 45fps with 10 or so cars in a race.

Yeah, between the edge teleport and the grip repositioning it takes me literally about 3 seconds to get where I want in Pool Nation. I never use floor teleport. Hell, sometimes I only use the grip reposition. No wonder you had so much trouble GlamFM.

Zalusithix

They should turn off within a minute of SteamVR closing. Well, that's the way it should work at any rate. Rather, it seems to be triggered by the games themselves closing to some degree. Last night when I force closed applications that weren't closing on their own, the lighthouses powered down even with SteamVR still running. Then SteamVR itself would hang an attempting to close it (to restart it to get the lighthouses back up. Odd stuff.

pj

Banned

Every once in a while they don't turn off for me. I fix it by opening SteamVR, letting everything connect, then open the options and do "Wake all base stations". It's near the setting for enabling the auto on/off.

I'm not sure what the mechanism is for the base stations shutting off, but it may be an actual bluetooth command from the headset, so I leave my headset plugged in and in the game area when I shut down VR to make sure it can tell the base stations to turn off.

Zalusithix

Do most people shut their base stations off? I never even considered it was necesssary

Why waste power, wear down the motor bearings and cut into the lifespan of the LEDs/lasers when you don't need them? That and they make noise. Not an issue for VR, but that high pitch whine would drive me nuts at the computer without headphones to isolate me from it. Takes less than a minute to spool up the entire VR chain from launching SteamVR to having everything tracked, so you don't really gain anything from leaving them on.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Why waste power, wear down the motor bearings and cut into the lifespan of the LEDs/lasers when you don't need them? That and they make noise. Not an issue for VR, but that high pitch whine would drive me nuts at the computer without headphones to isolate me from it. Takes less than a minute to spool up the entire VR chain from launching SteamVR to having everything tracked, so you don't really gain anything from leaving them on.
I don't hear the noise, wonder if it's out of my frequency range. Where can I actually find the setting to turn them off? (Really hope it's an auto-off when SteamVR is closed, auto-on when opened type deal)

edit: Think I found the option. How do I know if they've gone into standby mode?

Looks liiiike the letter has gone away on the "c" box, and remains on the "b" box...

Zalusithix

I don't hear the noise, wonder if it's out of my frequency range. Where can I actually find the setting to turn them off? (Really hope it's an auto-off when SteamVR is closed, auto-on when opened type deal)

It's within the SteamVR settings (from the computer, not within the headset). I'm not at my home computer for the exact location, but it's fairly obvious. And yes, that's exactly how it works. Close SteamVR -> lighthouses power down. Start SteamVR -> lighthouses power on.

cakefoo

I don't have any problem with seated VR and some games have to be played seated. Try to play gz3doom standing up and then tell me seated VR isn't a legitimate way to VR
Sitting down will keep you from smacking into a coffee table corner, but it doesn't solve the nausea and dizziness cause by artificial locomotion. Snap turning, teleportation, cockpits/visors etc can help that, but I don't think the issue is 100% resolved to the point where a game like gz3doom can be approachable to all.

I don't have any problem with seated VR and some games have to be played seated. Try to play gz3doom standing up and then tell me seated VR isn't a legitimate way to VR

I agree with you and I am sort of astounded that with the full court coverage of VR - so many demos and press articles and endless freaking YouTube videos - so few people were actually saying this clearly. Perhaps the novelty of the stereoscopic effect and tracking overwhelms ones judgement.
Or, you know, people are reviewing VR games that are built from the ground up for VR. It's kind of like how postconverted 3D doesn't always work for movies. I don't want to see people blaming VR for the developers' mistakes.

2D videogames started out as huge pixels. Lack of photorealism wasn't a major concern- people just accepted videogames for what they could achieve with the then-current technology.

pj

Banned

edit: Think I found the option. How do I know if they've gone into standby mode?

Looks liiiike the letter has gone away on the "c" box, and remains on the "b" box...

The letter display is turned off, the array of purplish LEDs is turned off, the motors will be off so you won't feel any vibration if you touch the lighthouse, and the bright green LED is dimmed

If the second one doesn't turn off in a minute or two, start SteamVR and use the "wake all base stations" button in the same menu where you enabled the sleep. Then shut down SteamVR again. That usually gets things in sync for me.

Zalusithix

The letter display is turned off, the array of purplish LEDs is turned off, the motors will be off so you won't feel any vibration if you touch the lighthouse, and the bright green LED is dimmed

Also, one lighthouse typically turns off (marginally) before the other. Ditto with power on. Seems faster with cable sync vs optical, but that could be my imagination. I think it only talks to one lighthouse to give the "power down" command, and the other simply shuts down when it doesn't detect the other.

I'd be interested in knowing which files need to be copied, unless it is just the same as the old Revive setup where you have to copy the DLLs.

I'm not sure what the old Revive setup was.

Here's what I did: go into Program Files -> Oculus -> Support -> oculus-runtime and copy ALL of the .dll files in that folder into the game executable directory.

Then download the revive patch and drag the three dll's in that folder into the executable directory as well, replacing as necessary.

Done. The game will now run on any computer, even if Oculus Home has never been installed. This should by extension also should mean that it's impervious to any future Oculus Home updates. I've tested this with Oculus Dreamdeck, Lucky's Tale, Lost, and Henry.

Sitting down will keep you from smacking into a coffee table corner, but it doesn't solve the nausea and dizziness cause by artificial locomotion. Snap turning, teleportation, cockpits/visors etc can help that, but I don't think the issue is 100% resolved to the point where a game like gz3doom can be approachable to

I have no problem with artificial locomotion so I guess I have nothing else to say

Durante

I find it far quicker to set up a shot in VR than in real life.

Particularly the dual-grip room movement/rotation feature makes it amazingly quick. I wish I could quickly move and rotate reality.

And then there was a lot of stuff about watching movies on a big screen, running your desktop - or multiple desktops - as an alternative to a monitor.
Everyone who has been paying any sort of attention to VR and not just read a few "hype" articles was perfectly well aware of the limitations of the first generation of consumer VR HMDs for those use cases.

I personally posted about it in many threads prior to the release of these HMDs, and I certainly wasn't the only one. Honestly, if you expected first generation HMDs to be a monitor replacement you have only your lack of research to blame.

I really need Xortex as a full game. Especially if someone can do one with scrolling levels rather than being locked in a room. Please get on the VR train, Cave.

Ugh, got my first VR injury from playing Pool Nation VR. I was having such a difficult time getting a good position to hit the ball from that I (somehow) completely ignored the chaperone boundaries and bashed my knee into my entertainment center. Not sure if I want to keep this game or not...great immersion, but I'm struggling with the controls.

I had an issue where the lighthouses would not turn on and off with steamvr but they;'ve seemingly fixed that via firmware update. The only other issue I have now, and its a minor one, is that when I turn on the headset and start playing from a cold start, the lighthouses will go into standby mode 10-15 minutes in while I'm playing. This only happens on my initial start up. After powering down station b the issue goes away until my next cold start.

Anyone else experiencing this?

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I was not expecting the Lab update. Sweet. Leaderboards were needed.

I'm going in for Lasik on Thursday so I am going to take a break from VR. Hopefully all goes well.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Ugh, got my first VR injury from playing Pool Nation VR. I was having such a difficult time getting a good position to hit the ball from that I (somehow) completely ignored the chaperone boundaries and bashed my knee into my entertainment center. Not sure if I want to keep this game or not...great immersion, but I'm struggling with the controls.

theres a feature request in to move the back grip hand farther back on the stick. This way when shooting the back hand should stay more away from your body.
I think that will help immensely with tracking issues where your grip hand ends up being tucked beside your torso and sometimes you lose tracking.

Pool instinctively makes you want to play around the table..but tracking is the worst at the edge of the chaperone boarders..you really have to force yourself to move back to the center of your playspace and then just port to the table edge or use the grips to move the table

Zalusithix

I find it far quicker to set up a shot in VR than in real life.

Particularly the dual-grip room movement/rotation feature makes it amazingly quick. I wish I could quickly move and rotate reality.

Everyone who has been paying any sort of attention to VR and not just read a few "hype" articles was perfectly well aware of the limitations of the first generation of consumer VR HMDs for those use cases.

I personally posted about it in many threads prior to the release of these HMDs, and I certainly wasn't the only one. Honestly, if you expected first generation HMDs to be a monitor replacement you have only your lack of research to blame.

Heck, I was cautioning people quite often about how the resolution/SDE would make virtual cinema less than ideal. Even got into a rather long winded argument with Krejilooc about it. The raw, hard math behind everything made this blatantly obvious. The VR sets weren't going to give you anywhere near a typical HDTV/monitor's fidelity.

Should I be ashamed I never completed the first wave in the archery game? I've probably messed around with the bow in the actual lab ten times as much as the actual game. Just shooting the people, moving targets, and other random crap than I did in that game.

If your room isn't large enough to walk around the table normally, then just use teleport and reposition. Treat it as more of a standing game than a roomscale one. Only use walking for minor sighting movements. Teleport to rough area. -> Reposition to fine tune position and viewing angle for your room scale. -> Move body for final alignment. With that procedure, you can take shot after shot without encroaching the chaperone bounds or hitting things IRL.

ToD_

I noticed my set has one stuck pixel on the right screen. It's generally imperceptible but every once in a while I spot it. If the replacement process isn't too painful I will probably go for it. Anyone have experience returning their headset to HTC for a replacement?

It's really not a huge deal but I wonder if this is going to bug me over time.

Has anyone messed around with Vive Home? It's actually...pretty good. Like it's actually a better thought out VR experience than the Steam home is, just not as fully featured. The menus are easier to navigate and the UI is in 3D. You can even pull apps out of the menu and place them in your environment as favorites. It's even getting widgets at some point. I don't think I'd use it as my main hub just yet but in the future I could see it taking that place if the default Steam home stagnates.

pj

Banned
I noticed my set has one stuck pixel on the right screen. It's generally imperceptible but every once in a while I spot it. If the replacement process isn't too painful I will probably go for it. Anyone have experience returning their headset to HTC for a replacement?

It's really not a huge deal but I wonder if this is going to bug me over time.

One is on the lower end based on my screens and what I've seen on reddit. If it's green and you only see it on dark backgrounds then there isn't going to be much they can do.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4koz3b/psa_green_pixels_on_loading_screens_only_are_not/

I have 4-5 total and they seem to be getting better over time or I am just noticing them less.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The Lab update will make me come back to it for weeks, if not months. Reaaally happy about it, I love the bow mechanics :)

Zalusithix

One is on the lower end based on my screens and what I've seen on reddit. If it's green and you only see it on dark backgrounds then there isn't going to be much they can do.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4koz3b/psa_green_pixels_on_loading_screens_only_are_not/

I have 4-5 total and they seem to be getting better over time or I am just noticing them less.

I have about 5 green on the left eye's screen. Nothing on the right. Only really visible in dark grey situations. They're effectively invisible when the surrounding area is bright, and they either go dark or greatly dim when faced with complete black. Between that behavior and the fact that they're only ever visible to one eye makes them easy to tune out. Sure, I'd rather have none, but compared to the general resolution/SDE/fresnel issues, they're the least of my concerns.

I certainly wouldn't RMA over one. High chance you'd get one back even worse.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Has anyone messed around with Vive Home? It's actually...pretty good. Like it's actually a better thought out VR experience than the Steam home is, just not as fully featured. The menus are easier to navigate and the UI is in 3D. You can even pull apps out of the menu and place them in your environment as favorites. It's even getting widgets at some point. I don't think I'd use it as my main hub just yet but in the future I could see it taking that place if the default Steam home stagnates.
I like the Museo environment and the zoomy movement effect. It's nice to sort of just wander around a "home" environment a bit more than the SteamVR home alows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom