• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one issue is the controls... Revive maps moving Lucky to the Vive controllers touchpad. If this is what the Steam controller is like, I'm reeeeeally glad I didn't get the Steam controller. :/
Not really. The steam controller has a stick in addition to the touch pads and is also infinitely configurable.

Tain

I really would have loved having one of the Vive controllers be equipped with an analog stick instead of a touchpad.

Chrysalis Pyramid is a pretty neat test!

What are my controller options? I have a number of different controllers but none of them are made by Microsoft. x360ce doesn't seem to work. Will I need to go buy an Xbox controller?

There are a number of programs out there that will map DirectInput to XInput, which should let you use whatever you have. Try this out: https://github.com/Stents-/XOutput

thematic

For everyone's information:
I had also just received my Vive on Monday, set it up on Tuesday and at first, no controllers would sync up. So I did the firmware update, only to be stuck at the start (ie. Wireless Receiver 1).

Turns out it was bricked as well. As after having to force quit it (the update was stuck in a loop due to an error constantly repeating) and restarting the update, the wireless receiver 1 wouldn't be recognized anymore. Valve support finally confirmed yesterday evening that it was bricked and have forwarded the issue to HTC Support. Probably to replace the headset, but I still haven't heard from them yet.

While waiting I've atleast been able to test some things out that don't require 2 Vive controllers, but I'm still seriously bummed out from this experience, as most fun things require both controllers.

what motherboard brand/type you use currently? and did you plug your Vive to USB 2.0 port or USB 3.0?

If you do not have USB 2.0. Buy their recommended PCI-e card

if USB 2.0, I got plenty from my motherboard
does all USB 2.0 chipset compatible though? I got Intel one from ASRock Z77 Extreme3.

wwm0nkey

what motherboard brand/type you use currently? and did you plug your Vive to USB 2.0 port or USB 3.0?

if USB 2.0, I got plenty from my motherboard
does all USB 2.0 chipset compatible though? I got Intel one from ASRock Z77 Extreme3.
I'd just get the recommend USB 3.0 card

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got Lucky's Tale working. I'm not sure what I did differently or why it wasn't working before. I must have somehow installed ReVive incorrectly the first time around.

Overall I like it a lot. Also, I appreciate the fact that even though it's not made for Room Scale, Revive allows you to stand up and walk around the levels if you feel so inclined.

The one issue is the controls... Revive maps moving Lucky to the Vive controllers touchpad. If this is what the Steam controller is like, I'm reeeeeally glad I didn't get the Steam controller. :/

What are my controller options? I have a number of different controllers but none of them are made by Microsoft. x360ce doesn't seem to work. Will I need to go buy an Xbox controller?

Steam controler still has one traditional joystick and actual ABXY buttons, so it's not like the vive controler at all. The steam controller trackpad also is better than a second analog stick for camera controls as long as the game allows mouse plus joystick controls, but obviously camera controls on the controller isn't something you do with Lucky's Tale.

But personally, I use the xbox one controler for lucky's tale just because it a little more comfortable to use when the steam controller trackpads aren't used for anything. I'm sure other controllers can work but it seems to me like every pc gamer should own an Xbox controller.

My dog's leg was broken by a kid on a bike, so my Vive is currently in the B/S/T thread here if anyone is interested. I'm not sure what the pricing looks like on ebay at the moment or if availability is drastically better now, but I'd just like to give it to someone who hasn't been able to nab one yet.

Karak

My dog's leg was broken by a kid on a bike, so my Vive is currently in the B/S/T thread here if anyone is interested. I'm not sure what the pricing looks like on ebay at the moment or if availability is drastically better now, but I'd just like to give it to someone who hasn't been able to nab one yet.

Fuck man that sucks. Just put a new hip on one of my dogs. Good luck to you

Tain

Tabletop Simulator is so great and I haven't even tried with Vive-owning friends yet. Friend of mine was watching my VR ass from the traditional version and getting a huge kick out of it, especially when I shrunk myself down to the size of the cards on the table.

How do you communicate to a non-gamer who has already put on the Vive that they need to press the trigger button? I have had this problem with almost every person I've shown the Vive to.

Don't want to get too off topic in this thread, but my SO and I were walking her on campus and a little kid (with parents reasonably far behind) came bolting through a crossway and hit her. Kid was fine, but my dog was not.

It's not been a fun few days. Hopefully I can flip the Vive relatively easily given the demand, although it seems like production has really picked up in the last few weeks.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why not just get them to pay? Only curious.

Zalusithix

If they didn't offer, short of taking them to court, there's no way to force them to. Lawsuits in that situation are undesirable for a whole slew of reasons. It's not like you're dealing with a teen or adult that should know better.

Anyhow, best of luck to the dog's recovery. Hopefully it's a relatively simple resetting of the bone.

Edit:
Having read the update below, yeah... from potentially undesirable to downright impossible. I was at least giving some benefit of a doubt to the parents, but that rather confirms my worst fears on the type of people being dealt with here. With parents of that caliber, the child wont even learn from the experience - which frankly would have at least been an up-shot to the whole mess. Well, they might learn something... to run whenever they do something wrong. =/ Too many people that shouldn't be parents.

They ran. Literally. I called to file a police report, and they told me that the chances of anything happening long term were essentially zero.

Really shit situation overall. I considered making a thread but it just seemed a bit pointless other than to garner sympathy, and at this point I'm just trying to make sure my dog is going to be ok.

If they didn't offer, short of taking them to court, there's no way to force them to. Lawsuits in that situation are undesirable for a whole slew of reasons. It's not like you're dealing with a teen or adult that should know better.

Anyhow, best of luck to the dog's recovery. Hopefully it's a relatively simple resetting of the bone.

Thanks for the thoughts, I really appreciate it.

Noogy

How do you communicate to a non-gamer who has already put on the Vive that they need to press the trigger button? I have had this problem with almost every person I've shown the Vive to.

I know it sounds a little sad, but I tell everyone 'pull the trigger with your index finger, like a gun'.

Compsiox

Banned
I know it sounds a little sad, but I tell everyone 'pull the trigger with your index finger, like a gun'.

"BUM BUM BUM BUM BUM BUM BUUUUUMM

A MAN IS BLIND FOLDING PEOPLE AND TELLING THEM TO PULL THE TRIGGER

FIND OUT MORE TONIGHT ON FOX NEWS AT 9PM"

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I finally tried Big Screen. I downloaded it when it released in Beta on Steam but never messed with it. I honestly thought it wouldn't be for me... but it is actually really cool.

Everyone I met was super cool. Relaxed. Not trolling. Had a nice long session of Overwatch while someone had a 3D movie playing, another guy playing Diablo. Just shooting the shit. As someone who tends not to be that social, I had a lot of fun.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Anyone upgrade to a 1080? All that business about Pascal being a ton better for VR... Any truth?

Zalusithix

Started up Audioshield and ran my (now traditional) first song which sort of acts as a calibration for my mind and body at this point since it was one of my first 10s... Apparently the game was tired of giving me something familiar, because the random seed pumped out one of the craziest patterns I've seen to date in the game for any song. Tons of cross overs and a super wide target range pushing the limits of peripheral vision and practically requiring strafing with the body. Missed more orbs than I had in a long time, but damn if it wasn't fun.

Was a good omen though. Set quite a few new 10s after that lol.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't think we're going to see that immediately. Don't developers still have to take advantage of the features manually?

Yeah it's not an automatic thing. I hope that unity/UE could add it and games would get the benefit, but it might need some developer time too. On the positive side, the improvements seem big enough that I think we will see good support for it - at least the single pass stereo and warped viewports. Multires shading would be nice too but probably less support for that.

Kodiak333

Neo Member
Yeah it's not an automatic thing. I hope that unity/UE could add it and games would get the benefit, but it might need some developer time too. On the positive side, the improvements seem big enough that I think we will see good support for it - at least the single pass stereo and warped viewports. Multires shading would be nice too but probably less support for that.

Is multiprojection for sure only going to be for Pascal cards? I would think this is more software based than hardware based.

d00d3n

Have you played The Gallery: Call of the Starseed?
?

I have checked it out now. Controlling teleportation with a special button and your viewing direction worked nicely, but I am unsure if I prefer it over the system in "The Lab".

A really bad decision in the game imo is allowing rotation of the play area at teleport time. Ideally I think the environments should be designed to fit a series of rectangular play areas. It looked quite ugly when the play area was misaligned compared with the main world geometry, and I guess that is why they allow rotation. Rotation is very disorienting, though. Additionally, you want to be comfortable in your play area and know on which sides you have hard walls, which is impossible when you start to rotate.

I really liked the inventory system in the game. Felt very intuitive to reach after your backpack and grab the walkman to play the audio tapes.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I've found one really good thing about playing some seated games with the vive
You can position a fan so it cools your face off :)
with the warm weather I've noticed my face sweats due to the headset alot when playing vivecraft.
This morning setup chair and fan and have been playing timemachine vr and no face sweats.
I tend not to use the airconditioner till its really hot but that might have to change.

d00d3n

with the warm weather I've noticed my face sweats due to the headset alot when playing vivecraft.
This morning setup chair and fan and have been playing timemachine vr and no face sweats.
I tend not to use the airconditioner till its really hot but that might have to change.

Buy a large "tower fan" and place it in the corner of your play area, directed towards the middle of it. Has worked nicely as a cooling solution for me, although I live in Sweden, so I guess it is relatively cool here as it is ...

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

i have a fan set up as well helps a lot also have a table right behind the fan so i can set a drink down behind it and find it easy while in vr

XShagrath

I use an overhead fan. I unfortunately sweat a lot while playing something intense like Audioshield/Holopoint, so I bought a sweatband to save the foam while I wait for my VRCovers to arrive. I don't get any perspiration on my foam now if I wear the sweatband.

Also, my VRCovers (Sport) shipped last week, so I should get them maybe by the end of the month.

Zalusithix

I feel sorry for you guys without air conditioning. Rather eliminates the whole hot and sweaty aspect that could come from using the Vive. I mean, you can sweat even with AC, but it requires significantly more physical exertion than VR requires.

XShagrath

I feel sorry for you guys without air conditioning. Rather eliminates the whole hot and sweaty aspect that could come from using the Vive. I mean, you can sweat even with AC, but it requires significantly more physical exertion than VR requires.
I'm in Florida. AC can only do so much.

This custom controller skin was made for the specific purpose of being able to just communicate the buttons as colors

hHNHMPk.jpg

Ordered a Wii U Pro Controller + Mayflash Adapter. Presumably that will work with Lucky's Tale since it emulates an xbox controller in hardware.

Don't want to get an actual Xbox controller because I'm used to the Nintendo button layout.

Lucky's Tale really looks fantastic on the Vive...what a great looking game.

However, this was the straw that broke the camel's back when it comes to my motion sickness. Seated VR is just NOT for me. after about 15-20 seconds of play I actually fell forward out of my seat to the left. Really bad, but thankfully brief, vertigo. I don't think I will be playing this title again. If you could stand above the level and move around it within the room it would have been fine...but having my head turn into a camera that is dollying behind the main character was just....AWFUL.

Exuro

Lucky's Tale really looks fantastic on the Vive...what a great looking game.

However, this was the straw that broke the camel's back when it comes to my motion sickness. Seated VR is just NOT for me. after about 15-20 seconds of play I actually fell forward out of my seat to the left. Really bad, but thankfully brief, vertigo. I don't think I will be playing this title again. If you could stand above the level and move around it within the room it would have been fine...but having my head turn into a camera that is dollying behind the main character was just....AWFUL.
I didn't fall out of my seat, but I felt very uncomfortable/boarding motion sickness playing Lucky's Tale. The underground scenes felt a lot better though. Sucks as I love 3rd person games.

I also felt a bit off playing Luckey's Tale, which makes me feel down on Edge of Nowhere since it uses an even more intense version of the same movement scheme. It's too bad, because that game ticks all the boxes for me story/lore wise.

While all third person, the camera in Lucky's Tale, Chronos and Edge of Nowhere all appear to be quite different.
In Lucky's Tale, it's not connected to your character movement, but moves along a fixed path as you go through the level.
In Chronos, it's a fixed position in each room.
In Edge of Nowhere, it's fixed behind the character.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
While all third person, the camera in Lucky's Tale, Chronos and Edge of Nowhere all appear to be quite different.
In Lucky's Tale, it's not connected to your character movement, but moves along a fixed path as you go through the level.
In Chronos, it's a fixed position in each room.
In Edge of Nowhere, it's fixed behind the character.

I think that's the issue with the camera in Lucky's Tale, that it's disconnected from what's happening in game or at least that seemed to be the issue for me and made me dizzy, so I think for Edge of Nowhere it could be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom