• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Ahh, that is too bad. Really annoying bug, I have to say.

qhtolIv.png

just go to settings and do this

wwm0nkey

Pool Nation VR is amazing fun and really sociable too shockingly lol

Hotdogs Horseshoes and Hand grenades is really fun but damn that Gunnasium will make you sweat lol

Qassim

Pool Nation VR is definitely one of the very best games I've played in VR. Really, really enjoy it. Some technical issues on occasions, but overall it's pretty solid for me.

thematic

After installing the HTC Vive all analog audio from my PC is rerouted to its line out, even when it is turned off. Anyone else who had this issue?

can you set Playback Device manually?
Right Click on Speaker icon at Taskbar and select Playback Device

My small play area (2x2) was much less of an issue than I imagined due to the fantastic teleportation mechanic. Once you understand that direction is maintained after a teleport it becomes really intuitive to use. It seems like adventure/exploration games would work really well with the system.

Have you played The Gallery: Call of the Starseed?

I'd love to hear what ViveGAF thinks of teleporting implementations so far in general.

Does it take you out of the experience?
Do you get disorientated and have to do a "where am I check" constantly?
How long did it take for teleporting to feel natural?
Do you need there to be a diegetic in-world explanation for the teleportation mechanic?
Do you feel like you are "toolboxing" and using teleport instead of physically moving when you could? Is that a bad thing?

d00d3n

can you set Playback Device manually?
Right Click on Speaker icon at Taskbar and select Playback Device

The solution by bloodydrake worked perfectly. I started the HTC Vive to test if it was possible to change audio in the Vive UI (the taskbar), but clicking the speaker icon only seemed to mute audio. I am not sure how I would right click with the Vive controllers exactly.

d00d3n

I'd love to hear what ViveGAF thinks of teleporting implementations so far in general.

Do you need there to be a diegetic in-world explanation for the teleportation mechanic?
Do you feel like you are "toolboxing" and using teleport instead of physically moving when you could? Is that a bad thing?

Nope, will have to check it out!

1) Does it take you out of the experience?
2) Do you get disorientated and have to do a "where am I check" constantly?
3) How long did it take for teleporting to feel natural?
4) Do you need there to be a diegetic in-world explanation for the teleportation mechanic?
5) Do you feel like you are "toolboxing" and using teleport instead of physically moving when you could? Is that a bad thing?

Keep in mind I"ve only been playing for a day:

1) Yes
2) No
3) It hasn't yet
4) I think it helps
5) Yes, and yes.

The fact that room-scale has boundaries is definitely my least favorite thing about the Vive—and I have it set to a pretty large play area. But it seems somewhat petty to complain about since it isn't really a solvable problem.

d00d3n

1. Not at all in The Lab at least.
2. No, not my experience.
3. 10 minutes maybe.
4. Did not seem necessary in the lab.
5. Possibly. You tend to want to "save" physical movement space for when you need it.

Helznicht

Does it take you out of the experience? No
Do you get disorientated and have to do a "where am I check" constantly? No
How long did it take for teleporting to feel natural? almost imediately
Do you need there to be a diegetic in-world explanation for the teleportation mechanic? No
Do you feel like you are "toolboxing" and using teleport instead of physically moving when you could? Yes, sometimes
Is that a bad thing? Yeah, but as immersion breaking as hitting your play bounds limits, and lots better than the world moving while I am not

See above.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
The solution by bloodydrake worked perfectly. I started the HTC Vive to test if it was possible to change audio in the Vive UI (the taskbar), but clicking the speaker icon only seemed to mute audio. I am not sure how I would right click with the Vive controllers exactly.

just a warning ..each beta update resets the settings so if you find yourself downloading an update ..check your audio settings after before putting on the headset

wwm0nkey

Sending in my Vive for RMA tomorrow, saw a dead pixel (though hardly noticeable) so I just went fuck and and packaged it up. When I get my new unit in I'm just not going to update it lol

Yes.
No.
It doesn't.
No, and it would be better if there didn't always have to be.
No games I've played have been designed to cover more than a foot or 2 by walking. I think it's a limitation of not having a real world amount of space to move around in. I don't how we ever get an open world game that let's us move around like how we actually would want to.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I'm pretty impressed with this early implementation of VR in Table Top Simulator. The Vive controllers make it so much easier and natural to pick up pieces, flip cards, etc. I'm glad they have finally done it!

We need to get some Vive-GAF Table Top games going.

wwm0nkey

I'm pretty impressed with this early implementation of VR in Table Top Simulator. The Vive controllers make it so much easier and natural to pick up pieces, flip cards, etc. I'm glad they have finally done it!

I'm down for that, I vote for Betrayal at House on the Hill lol

So, after having my Vive for over a month now I have only just enabled the camera. Is there any way to not have the image blue? I want regular colours like a regular camera would produce. It would be handy to read my phone and make desktop adjustments without taking the headset off.

I would do this via the desktop option in VR but my desktop resolution is 4K and I can't see shit.

thematic

Sending in my Vive for RMA tomorrow, saw a dead pixel (though hardly noticeable) so I just went fuck and and packaged it up. When I get my new unit in I'm just not going to update it lol

so you're not going to wait for the FW update they promised?

wait, the update optional? not like console update which forced you to update?

gaaaaah someone needs to stream or at least record some video. I've been waiting for this since the kickstarter, it's practically a game changer

wwm0nkey

so you're not going to wait for the FW update they promised?

wait, the update optional? not like console update which forced you to update?

When I contacted them again they said they had no info on an update, so since that seems like a 50/50 shot of happening I'm just returning it. Also if I am lucky they will just give me a new unit that doesn't have a dead pixel (though you really and I mean REALLY can't see it in gameplay)

thematic

What promised update?

HTC Call Officer(?) said to wwm0nkey they will release a fix for his (and many others) stuck problem when updating the FW

When I contacted them again they said they had no info on an update, so since that seems like a 50/50 shot of happening I'm just returning it. Also if I am lucky they will just give me a new unit that doesn't have a dead pixel (though you really and I mean REALLY can't see it in gameplay)

ugh... now i'm more nervous about my unit :(
should be arrived here in 1-2 weeks
*fingers crossed

So, after having my Vive for over a month now I have only just enabled the camera. Is there any way to not have the image blue? I want regular colours like a regular camera would produce. It would be handy to read my phone and make desktop adjustments without taking the headset off.

I would do this via the desktop option in VR but my desktop resolution is 4K and I can't see shit.

You can change the color of the camera but unfortunately in room view you only get tron mode. No standard colors. However if you enable the camera you should also get an image docked to your vive controller which is always in normal color mode.

There is a setting under the audio options that allows you to duplicate the audio output to a secondary device

Thanks, will try tomorrow!

The Blu is so freaking good! I was kind of skeptical but it's just so well done. Easily my favorite VR app thus far.

By contrast, I found Job Simulator to be totally stupid. I don't understand the point at all. It isn't interesting and it isn't funny.

Starviper

Thanks, will try tomorrow!

The Blu is so freaking good! I was kind of skeptical but it's just so well done. Easily my favorite VR app thus far.

By contrast, I found Job Simulator to be totally stupid. I don't understand the point at all. It isn't interesting and it isn't funny.

Yeah you know I kind of regret showing Job sim. to a number of my friends, it's amusing for a few moments but I feel like the charm quickly wears off.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Yes, I played it.

1. Sometimes, but not always.
2. No.
3. It feels natural too me now, as I use it out of instinct after almost 2 months
4. It could help in some games, but it must make sense within the game world.
5. Quite often. Maybe, the lazy side of me likes it.

- Sometimes, but mostly lest less than other locomotion methods I've tried
- No. Only if I teleport too close to walls/large objects. And in that case, it could be solved if devs restricted teleports that were too close to other objects/barriers
- Not very long. Got used to it during my first use of the Vive
- I don't know. Probably not.
- I feel like I often need to because of playspace restrictions, and positioning myself better for actually being able to move around. Doing that is often the thing that will take me the most out of an experience since I am now fighting playspace restrictions instead of whatever I should be doing in the game. But this is more a physical limitation of the room than teleport specific.

I've only played it once since I've had it.
My 7 year old daughter has logged a few hours in it though. It's her go to game (when I let her have a go!).

I am seriously impressed with how fun and intuitive Pool Nation VR is. I've put in about 2.5 hours in multiplayer and its really, really fun and feels exceptionally natural once you get used to the locking + shooting game mechanic.

I have two herniated discs and one bulging disc in my upper back area (high school sports and doing construction throughout college) and so I generally avoid awkward leaning motions and Im somewhat sensitive to weight on the neck, shoulders, and head, but playing this game doesn't bother me one bit.

I strongly suggest this game even if you're not that interested in billiards. I mean I can now say I have a pool table in my tiny NYC apartment.

Edit: You would think that a simple game like Pool wouldn't require serious horsepower to run in VR, but you would be wrong. I'm on a 5820K OC'd to 4.4 and 390X OC'd to 1125mhz and this game struggles to hit 60fps on high settings. I have to turn it down to medium settings to maintain 90fps. Unreal Engine 4 is no joke.

Wortany

Last night i did the firmware update on my headset. It took forever, but eventually finished. SteamVR restarted or whatever and then when I tried to run room setup i got an error and it wouldn't launch (this happens all the time, just restart SteamVR and it works)...
Well, when I restarted steamVR it said I needed a firmware update in order to use my vive... So i did it again..
I waited like 30 minutes and it was just hanging, so I canceled it.

To make a long story short, I was able to force a firmware update after that through a command prompt, but now I can only get one controller to sync.

When I try to sync the other one, it tells me I already have 2 synced, and I definitely don't. I tried the "unpairall" command, amongst other things... like uninstalling Asus suite.

Anybody ever have this issue?

For everyone's information:
I had also just received my Vive on Monday, set it up on Tuesday and at first, no controllers would sync up. So I did the firmware update, only to be stuck at the start (ie. Wireless Receiver 1).

Turns out it was bricked as well. As after having to force quit it (the update was stuck in a loop due to an error constantly repeating) and restarting the update, the wireless receiver 1 wouldn't be recognized anymore. Valve support finally confirmed yesterday evening that it was bricked and have forwarded the issue to HTC Support. Probably to replace the headset, but I still haven't heard from them yet.

While waiting I've atleast been able to test some things out that don't require 2 Vive controllers, but I'm still seriously bummed out from this experience, as most fun things require both controllers.

wwm0nkey

HTC Call Officer(?) said to wwm0nkey they will release a fix for his (and many others) stuck problem when updating the FW

ugh... now i'm more nervous about my unit :(
should be arrived here in 1-2 weeks
*fingers crossed

If you do not have USB 2.0. Buy their recommended PCI-e card

Yes. I liked it a lot. The ending elevated the whole thing and I can't wait to see what they do with the next one.

Surprisingly no. Your brain sort of immediately accepts it as a super power.

Nope.

Pretty immediate for me.

No but I think it goes a long way towards the experience to do it if it can be done. The implementation in Budget Cuts for example does a lot to immerse you deeper in the whole experience.

Yes. I think this is one of the drawbacks of teleporting since it actually discourages walking around even small distances. There's really not much that can be done about it though other than giving everyone more (physical) space to play in.

I guess I'm the only one who really doesn't like teleportation. Feels super strange to me.

Speaking of games that don't need teleportation, everyone should go download Chrysalis Pyramid. It's super short but I enjoyed it a ton.

Onemic

I dont like it either. I'd rather have traditional controls or at least the option of traditional controls for every roomscale with teleport game.

Karak

A couple companies I have been podcasting with are trying various things but your sort of stuck in many ways. I do like the endless corridor movement idea but damned if that wouldn't be odd in a chase situation lol. RUN, TURN, TURN BACK, TURN, RUN BACK. But it does give at least a feeling of continuity and if you scale it to room size it may work.

This is why I remembered/brought up Chrysalis Pyramid earlier. It does a REALLY nice job of keeping you in the play area while exploring a larger space.

jaypah

This is why I remembered/brought up Chrysalis Pyramid earlier. It does a REALLY nice job of keeping you in the play area while exploring a larger space.

I tried to get Vive-GAF to download it a few weeks back but I'm not sure if anyone did. It's one of my absolute VR programs though! The first time I hopped into a moving platform I started to wobble and laughed so hard I almost fell off. It's the only VR program to trick my brain to that degree.

I tried to get Vive-GAF to download it a few weeks back but I'm not sure if anyone did. It's one of my absolute VR programs though! The first time I hopped into a moving platform I started to wobble and laughed so hard I almost fell off. It's the only VR program to trick my brain to that degree.

I did. Definitely enjoyed it though I almost lost my balance a bunch of times lol.

Tain

I'm not a big fan of teleportation either. I mean, it functions and it's comfortable and it does the job well for people new to VR, but I hope we get to the point where enough people get "VR legs" and we start seeing acceleration-free rotation-free fake movement in otherwise room/standing games. Hoverjunkers is, like, at least halfway there. I'd also like to see more complicated implementations of teleportation, too, maybe coming up with some clever limitations to make up for or get back some of those interesting movement mechanics that we lose.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Using the control pad to move is disorienting to me. Makes me feel dizzy. I far prefer teleportation.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Using the control pad to move is disorienting to me. Makes me feel dizzy. I far prefer teleportation.

ya its tough.
I tried switching to traditional movement in Vivecraft...wow that's uncomfortable.
maybe when sitting it might not feel as weird but standing is very disorienting..I find i was leaning way backwards instinctively

Finally got Lucky's Tale working. I'm not sure what I did differently or why it wasn't working before. I must have somehow installed ReVive incorrectly the first time around.

Overall I like it a lot. Also, I appreciate the fact that even though it's not made for Room Scale, Revive allows you to stand up and walk around the levels if you feel so inclined.

The one issue is the controls... Revive maps moving Lucky to the Vive controllers touchpad. If this is what the Steam controller is like, I'm reeeeeally glad I didn't get the Steam controller. :/

What are my controller options? I have a number of different controllers but none of them are made by Microsoft. x360ce doesn't seem to work. Will I need to go buy an Xbox controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom