• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomTervo

What a coincidence - a website called CramGaming just dubbed The Solus Project 'A VR must-have game'!

Anyway, I'm out of here for the night, hope I haven't been too self-promotioney!

Wow, this seems like it should be one of the first deep FPS games native to VR. Bought.

It evidently works well natively but bear in mind it wasn't really built ground-up for VR. I think the team just crunched hard to get it working!

It's quite alright:) now I can support the team instead:)

Thank you!

wwm0nkey

Getting my Vive back from HTC tomorrow, not going to touch the firmware until I see a lot of reports about it going okay lol

IMACOMPUTA

Getting my Vive back from HTC tomorrow, not going to touch the firmware until I see a lot of reports about it going okay lol

I was scared, but if it's going to break again I'd rather have it happen right away so it can get taken care of.

But good luck :)

SomTervo

How is movement in VR handled? Is there warping, like The Lab, etc?

As far as I can tell it's regular old walking with the Touch controllers' pads. Don't quote me on that. I think it's alleviated by the fact that the director busted his Unreal chops (he's an international consultant for Epic) to get it running really, really smoothly and well optimised.

A curious decision, though, considering an important part of the game is actually (minor spoiler)
a short-range teleportation device
which is perfect for VR. I've asked them about it :)

Edit: I might be totally off-base on this:

Actually I think it has blink movement (which I think means it sort of steps you forward in increments) and then you get a teleportation device. At least it sounds like it does from Reddit comments.

Funnily enough, the director's Facebook post about the game's launch says it's really solid on VR.

His verbatim line is:

Sounds pretty dang promising, but remember this is no guarantee!

The director is a worldwide Unreal expert and I saw some chat about him really squeezing juice out of the engine for VR.

RE The Ball - The Ball is a good game and worth playing. The connection is in the backstory, but the events of each game don't tie together directly.

There might be a couple of extra 'oh cool' moments which you'd only get if you play The Ball.

Sorry you missed it man!

Sounds pretty awesome. Bought. So much to play this week lol.

As far as I can tell it's regular old walking with the Touch controllers' pads. Don't quote me on that. I think it's alleviated by the fact that the director busted his Unreal chops (he's an international consultant for Epic) to get it running really, really smoothly and well optimised.

A curious decision, though, considering an important part of the game is actually (minor spoiler)
a short-range teleportation device
which is perfect for VR. I've asked them about it :)

Actually I think it has blink movement (which I think means it sort of steps you forward in increments) and then you get a teleportation device. At least it sounds like it does from Reddit comments.

KC Denton

The blink movement so far feels kind of off (at least when I played it last night, might be different with the full release or there was something I missed) since clicking for blink movement on the touchpad also has you touching the part which one would hold in to move continuously forward. This results in you moving very slightly before you blink, which was a bad time for me specifically. Definitely hoping the
teleporter thing is not too far away in the story.

Blizzard

Banned
Has anyone tried the Unreal Engine 4 VR editing mode yet?

image_6.gif

Animator

So Tempted with it on sale now. Does seem a bit light on content as from the description there is not really a campaign and only 13 missions.

Can you compare how clean/clear the game looks in the HMD? How is performance.

Performance is really good. I agree it is light on content but missions are highly replayable on higher difficulties. Had some really awesome and tense dogfighting in the medium difficulty. For the sale price it is totally worth it.

Just played some of House of the Dying Sun. Awesome stuff. I'm playing on easy for the first go round, but the difficulty ramps up pretty fast. It doesn't feel unfair yet though, it just makes you think about the mission smarter.

Bought House of the Dying sun, played 7 minutes of it with the Vive, and then refunded the game. This is not at all what I was expecting. Finding out that the throttle wasn't already mapped to the controller was the last straw.

Soi-Fong

Has anyone tried the Unreal Engine 4 VR editing mode yet?

image_6.gif

Honestly, as a developer it's nice to see Unreal put this in, but set dressing this way would be way more of a hassle than just using the mouse in the editor.

We got Touch recently at the studio, and I've tried this, but it's just not as quick as using a mouse in the editor.

They dont have HOTAS support, so it would make sense that theres no throttle control

Website said they do, and they have options for it. Whatever, I bought it knowing I could fall back on Steam refund if I didn't like it. What I little I read, and the few screenshots I saw, was enough to get me excited, so why bother watching videos and ruining the joy of discovery. Unfortunately, or not, what I found just wasn't for me. At least not at this time.

Helznicht

Wow so many games releasing/announcing today. I have $15 in my steam wallet and cant decide.

HotDS - If it had more content and I wasnt totally into Elite right now I would totally jump in.

Solus - Ready to go, wait, it uses the vive motion controls but doesnt actually track them. Seems very immersive breaking.

Might sit tight for a steam sale.

Blizzard

Banned
Wait a minute. That's not a Vive controller.
I think it supports both, but please let me know if I'm wrong!

Honestly, as a developer it's nice to see Unreal put this in, but set dressing this way would be way more of a hassle than just using the mouse in the editor.

We got Touch recently at the studio, and I've tried this, but it's just not as quick as using a mouse in the editor.
Yeah I imagine mouse is faster. Kind of a novelty.

Introduced a friend of a friend to the vive today. He was in awe the whole time. That's probably my favorite part of vr. Just watching peoples reaction to it.

Edit: his favorite game was the arcade game in the lab. Seems like all my friends have different favorites. And he demanded, yes demanded, that he buy me a game for letting him use it. So I let him buy me vanishing realms and after about 30 minutes of playing I quickly realized its my favorite vive game

Website said they do, and they have options for it. Whatever, I bought it knowing I could fall back on Steam refund if I didn't like it. What I little I read, and the few screenshots I saw, was enough to get me excited, so why bother watching videos and ruining the joy of discovery. Unfortunately, or not, what I found just wasn't for me. At least not at this time.

The store page specifically says it doesn't.

Man, the one drawback to Steam Refund is that's it's made a lot of people super trigger happy on bailing on stuff. I mean 7 minutes in is about enough to get you through the tutorial and the first mission (which is basically just an intro to basic combat). Probably less if you didn't realize L trigger was accelerate. I don't mean to bag on you, but I just don't get how you can be turned off so fast if you had done any research on the game. I'm not sure what you expected.

Zaptruder

Banned
"Windows" existed as a transparent portal to the outside before it became an operating system. It can also refer to an individual portal to an application within any OS. Taking terms and redefining them to the context of an application is nothing new.

These are dual screen devices now running aspect ratios totally detached from the broadcast realm. "K" is simply a postfix that means thousand. Somebody could easily say they want a 6k display for their VR headset, hell a 13k one. Things that don't even exist as standards in the broadcast realm. Trying to apply broadcast standards to VR is a fool's errand. Using broadcast standards as reference point is already fudging numbers a bit. We're not dealing with exactly a 1080p HD screen combined resolution. It'll only get worse as the FoV gets wider in VR. Eventually neither the per eye or combined resolution in VR will have any bearing whatsoever to any broadcast standard. Sure, VR aspect ratios can and will change in the future. Context will have to update with it.

Also, the fact that people often use "per eye" in their explanations of what they want already divorces the context completely from the broadcast standards.

It's fine to redefine things - but redefinitions do not happen broadly all at the same time just because you've come up with a reasonable explanation for the redefinition.

We're still in a transitory period... and likely will remain so until there's an actual solid number that we can point to with regards to next generation resolution panels.

Bear in mind that VR isn't just the Rift and the Vive - it also encompasses mobile headsets. So 4k there really does refer to a 16:9 4k screen.

If you go around referring to 4k as per eye, then you're going to confuse half the crowd without defining it before hand (and if you have to define it before hand in every instance... is it that useful a terminology?)

Zaptruder

Banned
Yea I have. It is not something I would ever want to level design in but it is awesome for checking out your level in VR.

Big advantage of designing in VR over screen space is that you get an immediate and intuitive understanding of VR scale.

If you're not someone with a background in to scale design (like myself with interior design), then this is useful for realizing when a door is off, or chairs/tables, eye levels, etc.

But yeah, general layout is still faster on the screen at this point. A more efficient interface for traversing large areas is required.

Bear in mind that VR isn't just the Rift and the Vive - it also encompasses mobile headsets.

Are these relevant to the conversation though? I'm genuinely curious.

I've never used the Samsung-Oculus-thing (I can't remember what it's called now) but I have used Google Cardboard, and while I guess it's cool, there's really not a lot you can do with it.

Zalusithix

It's fine to redefine things - but redefinitions do not happen broadly all at the same time just because you've come up with a reasonable explanation for the redefinition.

We're still in a transitory period... and likely will remain so until there's an actual solid number that we can point to with regards to next generation resolution panels.

Bear in mind that VR isn't just the Rift and the Vive - it also encompasses mobile headsets. So 4k there really does refer to a 16:9 4k screen.

If you go around referring to 4k as per eye, then you're going to confuse half the crowd without defining it before hand (and if you have to define it before hand in every instance... is it that useful a terminology?)

This particular case, and virtually every other one in the Vive threads has (unsurprisingly) been referencing the Vive. A VR headset which has always been a dual screen solution. Mobile VR is its own realm, and we don't even have the legacy baggage like the earlier Rift models to muddle things. It's reasonable to assume that people in a Vive thread talking about future Vive models are not going to be talking about resolution in single screen mobile VR terms. They're going to compare it to what they have already. As such, it has been extremely common for people talking about resolutions in these threads to be using a per eye comparison, and not a combined resolution comparison. After all, each eye is its own screen.

Using combined resolution seems to me to be marketing speak along the lines of Sony counting subpixels with PSVR to get a bigger number. What really matters is what an individual eye is seeing for any given reference point. The other eye will be the same as a matter of course. Why blow up the numbers with combined resolution for a dual screen solution where half of that is redundant for everything but bandwidth and rendering cost? We don't call a dual core 4GHz processor an 8GHz processor for instance. "But", you'll no doubt want to say, "You can't run a single task at 8GHz! Only two tasks at 4GHz." Well neither can you perceive the combined resolution with a single eye. Your eyes are running the "perception" task in parallel where only half the resolution is effectively seen.

BTW, this whole conversation chain started with:
Current VR is already simplified graphically so I could see a '2x 1080 performance GPU' within 2 years being able to deliver VR optimised graphics at 4K + 4K 90fps
It was already a per eye comparison before it got pulled out briefly to be combined.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Just finished The Gallery. Fantastic VR experience. Amazing how your body is fooled (ending spoilers)
into feeling like you're actually moving on the platform when you're standing still, my stomach was doing flips

The downside is the game is super short, especially for $39 CDN. Still worth it though.

pj

Banned
Finally tried lucky's tale with revive. Kind of what I was expecting. Gameplay wise it is like an early licensed ps2 game. Mind numbingly simplistic. Camera movement had me on the edge of queasiness multiple times. Very polished and pleasant to look at though.

Finally got my lighthouses oriented properly, and was thus able to play Fantastic Contraption (before, I'd lose tracking whenever I moved my controllers close to the ground, which usually didn't matter but was important for building contraptions).

Conceptually, I think it's a perfect game for VR, but practice... it's all just too much WORK! Having to reach for pieces, stretch them out, adjust the angles... it gets tiring. I'm not opposed to exercise—it's one of the reasons I got a Vive—but the movement needs to feel exciting.

Zalusithix

Just finished The Gallery. Fantastic VR experience. Amazing how your body is fooled (ending spoilers)
into feeling like you're actually moving on the platform when you're standing still, my stomach was doing flips

The downside is the game is super short, especially for $39 CDN. Still worth it though.

I need to get back to that game eventually. Only got barely into it before it wanted me to throw something at a shelf above me. "No problem!" I thought as I wound up for an overhead throw. Then right as my arm goes into the overhead part of the arc, I'm greeted by the sound and resistance of a controller meeting the ceiling tile. Well shit. Kind of took the enthusiasm out of me as I cursed myself for forgetting I have a height limitation. I promptly quit out to play something that didn't tempt me into large overhead motions.

So, so far I've played

-The Lab (Loved it!)
-The Blu (Loved it!)
-Tilt Brush (Loved it!)
-Job Simulator (Boring)
-Audioshield (Okay)
-Fantastic Contraption (Okay)
-Lucky's Tale (Okay)

I've seen a lot titles being talked about, but I really want something "polished"—aka, I'd rather not play anything that's in early access or which feels like it should be in early access. Any other games that feel pretty well developed? Something on the level of The Lab and The Blu, or as close to that as possible.

Zalusithix

So, so far I've played

-The Lab (Loved it!)
-The Blu (Loved it!)
-Tilt Brush (Loved it!)
-Job Simulator (Boring)
-Audioshield (Okay)
-Lucky's Tale (Okay)

I've seen a lot titles being talked about, but I really want something "polished"—aka, I'd really rather not play anything that's in early access or that feels like it should be in early access. Any other games that feel pretty well developed? Something on the level of The Lab and The Blu, or as close to that as possible.
Grab Waltz of the Wizard. It's free, so there's no reason not to. Also grab The FOO Show while you're at it for an idea how talk shows can exist in VR. On the purchasing side of things, Pool Nation VR is quite polished, but probably wont be any fun if you don't like pool in the first place. The Gallery is also polished, if not a bit on the shorter side of things.

Krejlooc

Banned
So, so far I've played

-The Lab (Loved it!)
-The Blu (Loved it!)
-Tilt Brush (Loved it!)
-Job Simulator (Boring)
-Audioshield (Okay)
-Lucky's Tale (Okay)

I've seen a lot titles being talked about, but I really want something "polished"—aka, I'd rather not play anything that's in early access or which feels like it should be in early access. Any other games that feel pretty well developed? Something on the level of The Lab and The Blu, or as close to that as possible.

Budget Cuts (free, demo but highly polished)

Vanishing Realms

Pool Nation VR

Irrational Exuberance (free)

The Gallery

Zalusithix

Budget Cuts (free, demo but highly polished)

Vanishing Realms

Pool Nation VR

Irrational Exuberance (free)

The Gallery

Vanishing Realms is technically early access. Not that it isn't fairly well polished despite that. Same reason I didn't mention House of the Dying Sun - technically early access despite being rather polished. (I've only played a small bit of it, but what I have has been well done. General impressions from others who have played more have been rather positive.)

GReeeeN

So I'm trying to update my lighthouse firmware, the wireless update fails constantly so now I'm trying it through the manual/ wired method and it's been "updating in progress" for about 30 minutes. Is this normal?

I'm scared to cancel incase of bricking. Why am I having so any issues updating these lighthouses, am I missing something?, should it be taking this long?

King_Moc

Banned
scan (UK) just shipped my vive! looks like they're hitting UK retail now

Same here, good times. Now to buy and download tons of stuff.

Is there any free (or cheap) stuff outside of Steam worth looking at?

And as already asked, some House of the Dying Sun impressions would be great.

Oh, and is Elite fixed yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom