• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomTervo

Any of you try Solus Project? It's an exploration survival sci-fi game that supports room scale.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/313630

You can look for my 'we just launched!' post on the last page for some info :)

The blink movement so far feels kind of off (at least when I played it last night, might be different with the full release or there was something I missed) since clicking for blink movement on the touchpad also has you touching the part which one would hold in to move continuously forward. This results in you moving very slightly before you blink, which was a bad time for me specifically. Definitely hoping the
teleporter thing is not too far away in the story.

Solus - Ready to go, wait, it uses the vive motion controls but doesnt actually track them. Seems very immersive breaking.

Might sit tight for a steam sale.

We're getting really weird and conflicting feedback on VR atm. Some Vive users seem totally happy with it and say it's brilliant, others mention teething issues like you guys report. Some of them are getting full-on irritated about it. Already getting a smattering of negative reviews about because, as always, pissed off people speak louder than happy people. Just the way it goes!

If we had more resources/marketing space we'd make a more detailed official statement about the state of VR - but just now we need to focus elsewhere.

If any one here wants to buy The Solus Project solely for VR, do so with caution. The game is completely finished and getting excellent feedback in its non-VR mode, but VR feedback is more inconsistent. Be ready to wait for more VR updates.

VR is being actively worked on.

d00d3n

I bought the Solus game, but haven't tested it yet.

Is it possible and/or necessary to rotate the player space when you navigate around the world? (I am asking because I think that this kind of rotation is disorienting in VR)

SomTervo

I bought the Solus game, but haven't tested it yet.

Is it possible and/or necessary to rotate the player space when you navigate around the world? (I am asking because I think that this kind of rotation is disorienting in VR)

Hope it works well for you. If not, just wait or play normal mode. It'll be fixed up before too long, aiming for proper VR-readiness in the next couple of months, hopefully with plenty of updates in the meantime. The non-VR mode works perfectly fine.

Re the player space rotation, I'm not sure what you mean and I haven't personally tried it in VR – perhaps a fellow GAFfer can help you out.

FYI guys I'll be passing a lot of your feedback directly to the director/design team. In GAF we trust.

derFeef

I did not try Solus again with the new patches, but the initial VR release/branch made me sick after 5 minutes ;) Hopefully it is improved a lot in that regard and will try again for sure. The game is great alone so VR is just icing on the cake.

Helznicht

We're getting really weird and conflicting feedback on VR atm. Some Vive users seem totally happy with it and say it's brilliant, others mention teething issues like you guys report. Some of them are getting full-on irritated about it. Already getting a smattering of negative reviews about because, as always, pissed off people speak louder than happy people. Just the way it goes!

If we had more resources/marketing space we'd make a more detailed official statement about the state of VR - but just now we need to focus elsewhere.

If any one here wants to buy The Solus Project solely for VR, do so with caution. The game is completely finished and getting excellent feedback in its non-VR mode, but VR feedback is more inconsistent. Be ready to wait for more VR updates.

VR is being actively worked on.

Thanks for the feedback, Will definitely look forward to any updates.

d00d3n

Re the player space rotation, I'm not sure what you mean and I haven't personally tried it in VR – perhaps a fellow GAFfer can help you out.

Teleportation seems to be the most common traversal method in room scale exploration games. It is supported in "The Lab", "Budget Cuts", "The Gallery" and from what I read in this thread "Solus" as well. Some games, such as "The Gallery", allow rotation of the player space at the other end of a teleport. For example, you are facing north in reality, initially north in the game, but choose to rotate the player space after a teleport so that you are now facing south west in the game (but still north in reality). Allowing this is a bad move in room scale exploration VR imo. It made me feel disoriented and dizzy in "The Gallery".

"The Lab" from Valve does not allow this rotation (as far as I know?). The game also seems to be designed for the player space limits to match up with world geometry (for example, walls in a game are aligned with the virtual walls of your player space).

had the kids try vanishing realms today. Despite the cramped environment of the dungeon they very quickly resorted to constantly teleporting rather than even using small walking steps, and then they'd find that they were where they wanted to be in the game but because of just brownian motion, were at the edge of the physical space.
Being at the edge triggers a "move back to center of the room" pause screen in the game which to say the least takes one out of the moment. It can be disabled but then the alternative is the controllers banging walls etc.

My space is probably average, over 2.5 x 2.5m, that's 68 square feet. The entire room is maybe 200 square feet which is probably about average for a room that isn't a living room.
Take out space for a couch for spectators, a side-table for the TV and a built-in cupboard etc and I'm left with the 68 square feet. Its definitely a challenge for game designers. Hiding from an arrow guy behind pots and so on with a shield is great fun but then the teleport function sort of damages the illusion.

Zalusithix

Anyone played House of the Dying sun with a 980Ti?

Wondering what kind of performance I can expect.

I haven't played much of it, but it was smooth in game at ultra settings. Had some minor hitching at the initial calibration screen, but that was happening even at medium. I'm attributing it to my old 920 just not being up to snuff. The graphic style itself is stylized low poly, so it shouldn't tax the GPU heavily.

I haven't played much of it, but it was smooth in game at ultra settings. Had some minor hitching at the initial calibration screen, but that was happening even at medium. I'm attributing it to my old 920 just not being up to snuff. The graphic style itself is stylized low poly, so it shouldn't tax the GPU heavily.

Thanks. Looks like I will be buying it then.

I hope I can get my hotas working with it.

Zalusithix

Thanks. Looks like I will be buying it then.

I hope I can get my hotas working with it.

IIRC the controller setup only allows you to register a single controller as being active. If your HOTAS shows up as multiple devices to windows, I don't think it'll pan out. If it can merge into a single logical device, then you'll probably be fine. I honestly didn't spend much time in that section of the configuration as I was just using an XBO controller. Didn't feel like dragging my Warthog out and connecting everything up for a short test session. That and there's no real variable speed control (at least with a controller). You're either going fast, boost fast, or braking. So the "T" aspect of the HOTAS is... of questionable use.

thematic

New SteamVR Beta update

*Improved front facing camera and pose synchronization.
*Fixed vrserver crash caused by corruption in the settings file.
*Improved reliability of wireless receiver firmware updates.

Thank god for that last one lol

So I'm trying to update my lighthouse firmware, the wireless update fails constantly so now I'm trying it through the manual/ wired method and it's been "updating in progress" for about 30 minutes. Is this normal?

I'm scared to cancel incase of bricking. Why am I having so any issues updating these lighthouses, am I missing something?, should it be taking this long?

how's your progress right now?

there's an update for SteamVR yesterday to solve reliability of the firmware update. maybe there's still problem in the latest beta.

Ok here is my basic attempt at making a regular thing of VR videos and mixed reality videos. Any input would be appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cymn3XCRLys

The goal is to present a 'quick look' type of video to show off a game, as well as to see if it integrates well into mixed reality. Currently just unity's plugin for mixed reality. So UE games inherently won't work with the method I'm using.

also the altspace MR was the most amusing. The avatar over your irl body and the lip movements are very interesting.

Zalusithix

there's an update for SteamVR yesterday to solve reliability of the firmware update. maybe there's still problem in the latest beta.

Fairly certain that wireless receiver patch note is referring to the headset bricking on updating its wireless receivers that the controllers pair with. Like we had happen to multiple people here. Nothing to do with the lighthouses.

GReeeeN

exactly the same for me... how do i access beta SteamVR?, is this a bad idea when updating firmware?

EDIT: never mind found the beta option, but is updating firmware in beta a bad idea?

GlamFM

Banned
Played "House of the Dying Sun" yesterday.

Kinda cool. I wish I could just fly around without engaging in any fights what so ever.

Really makes me want NMS in VR - there´s always hope I guess.

Anybody checked out "The Solus Project yet"?

Played "House of the Dying Sun" yesterday.

Kinda cool. I wish I could just fly around without engaging in any fights what so ever.

Really makes me want NMS in VR - there´s always hope I guess.

Anybody checked out "The Solus Project yet"?

Tried both.

House of the Dying sun is cool, but im an Elite Dangerous player, so its a bit shallow in comparison.

But Solus is amazing, i only got 30min in the game and it was a blast, so much potential there. And runs just fine.

Playing it in VR gives an awe sense in exploration, also it somehow adds a fear effect too.

Zalusithix

Tried both.

House of the Dying sun is cool, but im an Elite Dangerous player, so its a bit shallow in comparison.

But Solus is amazing, i only got 30min in the game and it was a blast, so much potential there. And runs just fine.

Playing it in VR gives an awe sense in exploration, also it somehow adds a fear effect too.

I'm not sure it makes much sense to compare HotDS with ED. One's an arcade like space shooter with hand crafted levels and light fleet management aspects with simplistic stylized graphics. The other is a gigantic procedurally generated space sim sandbox with realistic graphics. Closest ED comes is probably the CQC bit. Outside of the "piloting a ship in space" aspect, they're pretty much as far apart as you can get conceptually speaking.

I'm not sure it makes much sense to compare HotDS with ED. One's an arcade like space shooter with hand crafted levels and light fleet management aspects with simplistic stylized graphics. The other is a gigantic procedurally generated space sim sandbox with realistic graphics. Closest ED comes is probably the CQC bit. Outside of the "piloting a ship in space" aspect, they're pretty much as far apart as you can get conceptually speaking.

Yep, correct.

The comparison is more to the "space ship" game.

Grab Waltz of the Wizard. It's free, so there's no reason not to. Also grab The FOO Show while you're at it for an idea how talk shows can exist in VR. On the purchasing side of things, Pool Nation VR is quite polished, but probably wont be any fun if you don't like pool in the first place. The Gallery is also polished, if not a bit on the shorter side of things.

Budget Cuts (free, demo but highly polished)

Vanishing Realms

Pool Nation VR

Irrational Exuberance (free)

The Gallery

Thanks for the recommendations. I forgot to mention that I've played Waltz of the Wizard. Not sure why, it's a lot of fun. I've tried Irrational Exuberance as well but it always crashes about ten minutes in, for some reason.

I'll pick up The Gallery and possibly Vanishing Realms. Not really into pool.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
had the kids try vanishing realms today. Despite the cramped environment of the dungeon they very quickly resorted to constantly teleporting rather than even using small walking steps, and then they'd find that they were where they wanted to be in the game but because of just brownian motion, were at the edge of the physical space.
Being at the edge triggers a "move back to center of the room" pause screen in the game which to say the least takes one out of the moment. It can be disabled but then the alternative is the controllers banging walls etc.

My space is probably average, over 2.5 x 2.5m, that's 68 square feet. The entire room is maybe 200 square feet which is probably about average for a room that isn't a living room.
Take out space for a couch for spectators, a side-table for the TV and a built-in cupboard etc and I'm left with the 68 square feet. Its definitely a challenge for game designers. Hiding from an arrow guy behind pots and so on with a shield is great fun but then the teleport function sort of damages the illusion.

ya i agree with this the teleporting is to easy to rapid port hop thru the game bypassing stuff.
I also wish the game let you turn the world..My room space is rectangular 4mx2m about 80% of the time I was always traversing and combat in the game between the 2m area I couldn't turn the game to allow corridors or what not to be along the 4m length.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Looks like the original creators of Brookhaven Experiment (full version is out June 22) are working on a new game called Island 359
Heres link to article
http://uploadvr.com/island-359-dinosaur-hunting-vr-game/
T-RexRoars-e1465310229523.jpg

Its suppose to be a meatier game and not a wave shooter.
Their take on movement sounds really exciting.
Instead of blink teleporting you use a similar point and click at a location and You sprint to that location..(I wonder if its using the tunnel vision thing that that ubisoft flying game uses.)
Apparently it doesn't cause motion sickness and it maintains immersion in a way that blink porting kind of breaks.
think it launches on early access around June 22 as well.
I'm excited

Cartman86

Banned
Looks like the original creators of Brookhaven Experiment (full version is out June 22) are working on a new game called Island 359
Heres link to article

Instead of blink teleporting you use a similar point and click at a location and You sprint to that location..(I wonder if its using the tunnel vision thing that that ubisoft flying game uses.)
Apparently it doesn't cause motion sickness and it maintains immersion in a way that blink porting kind of breaks.
I'm excited

Doesn't the launcher that HTC made for games do this?

Zaptruder

Banned
Regarding Solus Project...

This is definetly not a Vive game. The motion controller and room scale implementation is half hearted to the point of detriment.

The game is definetly better off eschewing motion controls in its current state, without setting up expectation that it's a workable build for room scale.

Decoupling head from direction results in the worst possible outcome - instead of attaching motion of direction to the controllers or some sort of average of those things, it locks it to the front as defined by the player facing when they're looking forward on boot up. This is useful to nobody really.

Also the touch to move is a sin. Look. My thumb needs to rest on the touch pad. Set movement to activate on clicking.

The immediate result of all that is confusion and breaking a whole slew of basic expectations of motion and interaction in the game as far as room scale and motion controllers go.

I didn't bother staying around past the first few minutes - the control scheme is a huge turn off.

As a Rift game, which I suppose is what it's primarily intended to be... I don't know. Didn't try it. I just want to mention that ironically the competition in the Rift space for quality games with decent production budgets is actually fairly steep. Vive is totally missing that sort of experience - but at the same time, it kinda makes sense - a game can't be ported to VR well, it has to be essentially redesigned from the ground up. Sure, it can use the same assets and similar levels, etc - but the basic controls and interactions have to be built for VR and not ported across.

I expect things will get better. It is an alpha for VR as SomTervo says. But I'm going to have to get a refund in its current state.I'll check back in a couple months.

Heres link to article

I'm excited

Really curious to se how that works. Also YAY Dinosaurs!

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
So we are getting really close to releasing our VR Weapon asset for purchase on the Unreal Asset store. It will cover weapons from swords to Brookhaven style guns to Hot dogs and hand grenades guns, and come with a unique player controller that allows for both traditional and directional teleportation movement(called comfort mode). If anyone is interested in learning more feel free to PM me.

In other news we finally nailed down our prototypes specifics. Not really going to spill the beans until we hear back from Epic about a Dev Grant (depending on what goes down there we may or may not try a kickstarter). We think fans of PT, OG RE, and the supernatural TV series will dig the idea though. :p

Anyways, now that we are fully moved into the new studio cool shit is about to go down (15'x15' Roomscale VR is awesome btw).

cakefoo

Why blow up the numbers with combined resolution for a dual screen solution where half of that is redundant for everything but bandwidth and rendering cost? We don't call a dual core 4GHz processor an 8GHz processor for instance.
It's nothing like the dual core processor analogy. It's more like people with passive 1080p 3DTV's asking for passive 4K 3DTV's. They know the resolution gets split, and they don't need people patronizing them.

Just want to add yet another thumbs up for the Sleep mask mod. I had kinda fallen off using my Vive because the focus was so hard to maintain. However now with the much thinner sleep mask gasket, everything stays in focus and I don't feel like I have to adjust the headset all the time. Plus it's easier to clean after strenuous sessions of Audio Shield!

Hopefully they include much thinner gaskets for future iterations of the Vive, because this was a huge game changer for me.

Zalusithix

It's nothing like the dual core processor analogy. It's more like people with passive 1080p 3DTV's asking for passive 4K 3DTV's. They know the resolution gets split, and they don't need people patronizing them.
The TV comparison is bunk. A 3DTV will be primarily used in non 3D mode the majority of the time (unless you only ever use it for 3D movies - an outlier case), and even if it's not actually used as a 2D display, it's technically capable. Marketing a 4k TV as 4k makes sense, regardless of whether or not it can do passive 1080p 3D.

Meanwhile a VR set ala the Vive and Rift will never have a user making use of the combined resolution. Ever. The combined resolution number is totally meaningless. Using a single eye's resolution is not pandering to people that don't understand tech. It's simply using a measurement that makes sense for the application.

SomTervo

This is definetly not a Vive game. The motion controller and room scale implementation is half hearted to the point of detriment.

The game is definetly better off eschewing motion controls in its current state, without setting up expectation that it's a workable build for room scale.

Decoupling head from direction results in the worst possible outcome - instead of attaching motion of direction to the controllers or some sort of average of those things, it locks it to the front as defined by the player facing when they're looking forward on boot up. This is useful to nobody really.

Also the touch to move is a sin. Look. My thumb needs to rest on the touch pad. Set movement to activate on clicking.

The immediate result of all that is confusion and breaking a whole slew of basic expectations of motion and interaction in the game as far as room scale and motion controllers go.

I didn't bother staying around past the first few minutes - the control scheme is a huge turn off.

As a Rift game, which I suppose is what it's primarily intended to be... I don't know. Didn't try it. I just want to mention that ironically the competition in the Rift space for quality games with decent production budgets is actually fairly steep. Vive is totally missing that sort of experience - but at the same time, it kinda makes sense - a game can't be ported to VR well, it has to be essentially redesigned from the ground up. Sure, it can use the same assets and similar levels, etc - but the basic controls and interactions have to be built for VR and not ported across.

I expect things will get better. It is an alpha for VR as SomTervo says. But I'm going to have to get a refund in its current state.I'll check back in a couple months.

I don't know who to believe...

Seriously, though, Zap, I said consistently it's not fully VR ready!

Yoritomo

I don't know who to believe...

Seriously, though, Zap, I said consistently it's not fully VR ready!

I think there's going to be a wide gap as far as what people are comfortable with.

My 8 year old might as well be spiderman in Windlands. She hops IRL when she jumps in game and does little things with her body to ramp up immersion even more, whereas my spouse almost falls over when you start moving in game and ends up feeling sick within minutes.

I feel that traditional movement style prevents me from breaking immersion more even if it I have to worry about VR sickness, whereas teleporting makes it hard for me to remember orientation and I still get a half second of "wait where am I again" right after a teleport.

We're all figuring this out mang.

SomTervo

Anyone trying to play The Solus Project with the Vive:

The team have made a guide for you. I don't have VR so can't fully comment, but hopefully it's helpful.

I think there's going to be a wide gap as far as what people are comfortable with.

My 8 year old might as well be spiderman in Windlands. She hops IRL when she jumps in game and does little things with her body to ramp up immersion even more, whereas my spouse almost falls over when you start moving in game and ends up feeling sick within minutes.

I feel that traditional movement style prevents me from breaking immersion more even if it I have to worry about VR sickness, whereas teleporting makes it hard for me to remember orientation and I still get a half second of "wait where am I again" right after a teleport.

We're all figuring this out mang.

You're right ofc.

Starviper

I'll also add to this discussion and echo the sentiments here - The game feels like it wasn't really designed for VR, the way the motion controls worked for the Vive made me feel rather frustrated and I ended up refunding the game as well. I wanted to like it, as I love just about anything to do with space and exploring other worlds but in it's current state i'm just not feeling it.

Maybe another month in the oven and they will have a better control scheme implemented that feels good.

On another note - The Lab got a pretty big update and I am really enjoying the archery game in there with it's infinite levels. It gets quite intense later on! Also managed to get up in the top 150 for the catapault leaderboards. There is definitely a trick to it with getting the blue boxes for tracer balls and blowing up the platforms.

Bigby

Valve rolls out free VR creation tool for new destinations workshop

Valve this week releases a free virtual reality content creation package that will allow anyone to create and share "destinations" on Steam.

Destinations will be available tomorrow in Early Access.

The software enables the creation of, among other things, virtual reality game levels and explorable VR worlds designed with photogrammetry.

"We've seen all of the awesome things the community can do with user-generated content, not only in our own games, but also in the 400 plus other games utilizing the Steam Workshop," said Valve programmer Tom Bui in an email interview with Polygon. "So it seemed a natural extension to enable creators to make cool new VR experiences that they could share with others."

Destinations comes with documentation and sample worlds, plus access to the Source 2 technology and developer Wiki.

There is also a dedicated Destinations Workshop where creators can distribute user-generated "destinations."

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
IKEA VR Experience just got updated:

For all the meatball lovers out there, we have now made it possible to fry the meatballs on the stove.

And yes, we have heard that you want to have our pencils, we are working on that for the next release.

Lol.

Zalusithix

Probably not. Having a The Lab level scene as a fall back when your other game fails to render fast enough seems counter productive.

I kind of hate that fallback to begin with. I wish you could toggle it off. The flickering it can create in situations where an application is bouncing back and forth quickly between acceptable and unacceptable levels is more annoying than the hitching itself. I'd rather just look at a stuck frame.

Lunar FC

Was just in Altspace VR for like 2 hours straight, was fun as shit. Chatting with people, playing some Holograms Against humanity, laughing at the people having serious talk about VR porn devices, and them talking down to me like I was immature. Good shit.

SomTervo

Was just in Altspace VR for like 2 hours straight, was fun as shit. Chatting with people, playing some Holograms Against humanity, laughing at the people having serious talk about VR porn devices, and them talking down to me like I was immature. Good shit.

Get with the sex-positive programme, man!

Seriously :)

Sort of thing my GF would be way into I think

cakefoo

The TV comparison is bunk. A 3DTV will be primarily used in non 3D mode the majority of the time (unless you only ever use it for 3D movies - an outlier case), and even if it's not actually used as a 2D display, it's technically capable. Marketing a 4k TV as 4k makes sense, regardless of whether or not it can do passive 1080p 3D.
What content a person watches is of no relevance to the analogy. I'm just talking about the mathematics. One panel shared between two eyes gives each eye half the total resolution, in both the VR headset and passive 3DTV cases. But I know of 1080p passive 3DTV owners on message boards that couldn't wait for 4K passive sets so they could watch their 1080p 3D Blu-rays at full resolution, and some of them didn't seem all that interested in 4K content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom