• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Cosmic Trip is really awesome but it's definitely Early Access right now. Pretty easy and it started to stutter once I had a lot of robots and enemies in play. Otherwise it's really polished and fun and unique. Can't wait for it to get more filled out.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
PSA: Im playing Solus with the Xbox controller (because the Vive controls implementation was awful)

I think motion controls are fine, but I might like using the xbox controller just to be lazy.

Do they do the thing where turning around is done in increments of something like 45 degrees instead of having to do a normal dizzying spin? That's pretty key for me.

Arulan

I just tried out Tabletop Simulator for the first time in VR and just wow. I played Legendary with some friends of mine; I was the only one using VR.

The VR version is still in alpha, but basic functionality is all there. At first I was disappointed with the laser pointer method of interaction, until I noticed the red orb on the controller turns green when you touch an object, and can interact with it directly. Being able to scale the table and adjust its height is very useful. I played standing up, but with those options you can adjust it to work seated as well.

I realized after the first half-hour or so that I was instinctively avoiding walking into the table, and leaning over when I had to pick something up further away.

It's already playable, but with a few more updates and smart design decisions, I could see myself playing a lot of this in VR.

Instead of blink teleporting you use a similar point and click at a location and You sprint to that location..(I wonder if its using the tunnel vision thing that that ubisoft flying game uses.)
Apparently it doesn't cause motion sickness and it maintains immersion in a way that blink porting kind of breaks.

That sounds very similar to the way the demo for Klepto handles movement.

I found it really interesting when I first tried it, but unfortunately I have alot of issues with the demo so I never get past the first few seconds since it doesn't seem to actually recognize the Vive controller input despite them showing up in game.

Like, you can use them and bring up menus and stuff, but it asks you to break glass with them using a swiping motion and when I try that it never seems to work.

I have a feeling it's something I'm doing wrong more than the game having an actual issue.

ZiZ

if waiting isn't an issue, is there any reason to get the Oculus Rift over the Vive?

I preordered a Rift when the preorders started and I should get mine by the end of the month.

I mostly went with Rift because of its exclusive games and I heard that their touch controllers were better. But I've been considering just cancelling my preorder and getting a Vive instead.

Absinthe

if waiting isn't an issue, is there any reason to get the Oculus Rift over the Vive?

I preordered a Rift when the preorders started and I should get mine by the end of the month.

I mostly went with Rift because of its exclusive games and I heard that their touch controllers were better. But I've been considering just cancelling my preorder and getting a Vive instead.

I know this is the Vive thread, but overall I have been happier with the Rift due to it's comfort, integrated headphones, exclusives, and better SDE. Although I do not have the space for roomscale so if you do I would recommend the Vive. If you just want a decent VR headset that works great and is easy to use get the Rift. They are both amazing pieces of tech.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I know this is the Vive thread, but overall I have been happier with the Rift due to it's comfort, integrated headphones, exclusives, and better SDE. Although I do not have the space for roomscale so if you do I would recommend the Vive. If you just want a decent VR headset that works great and is easy to use get the Rift. They are both amazing pieces of tech.

rift touch controllers might be better for some cases where you are simulating hand gestures etc. But it'll lack the 360 degree tracking that vive has and for me that was enough to stick win the vive. Even in a small space with teleportation, the freedom to look all around you in things like budget cuts or tiltbrush is huge. I couldn't imagine how you could work around that limitation. And yes, technically you can put cameras with USB extensions in opposite corners of your room, and some devs might support that. But not all will, and moving them back and forth between opposing and front setups would be annoying.

Gen 2 headsets hit the reset button though. If CV2 improves tracking while keeping the other benefits I'll happily buy it.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I have to imagine the Rift will be quite lacking in good touch controller games compared to the Vive, thanks to roomscale and having all Vive headsets come with the motion controls.

On the other hand, Rift has a lot more games that are good playing sitting down with a controller, which is a nice thing to have too.

I guess it depends on if you find 1:1 motion controlled games or traditional games more appealing. You'll get a little of both from either headset but that is still currently the biggest split between the two.

I would also add that some people get motion sick at the smallest sign of any unnatural motion, and most controller based games will have that while most motion control games will not.

It's it's easy enough to make a game work with both, I think the vast majority of motion control games will. The Fantastic Contraption dev videos certainly seem to indicate it's easy to do.
Even if it's a subset of a subset of Rift owners that have Touch and their cameras set up in opposing positions for 360 tracking, if you're a dev making a game like that you're going to want to have the largest potential number of buyers possible.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's it's easy enough to make a game work with both, I think the vast majority of motion control games will. The Fantastic Contraption dev videos certainly seem to indicate it's easy to do.
Even if it's a subset of a subset of Rift owners that have Touch and their cameras set up in opposing positions for 360 tracking, if you're a dev making a game like that you're going to want to have the largest potential number of buyers possible.

I fully expect any dev not locked into an exclusivity agreement will try and support both headsets - so vive for seated (you can sit down in it!) and rift with touch. But there will be some limitations with touch like I mentioned before - games that absolutely require 360 degree rotation will rely on those devs supporting a non-standard opposing camera setup. I know the fantastic contraption devs have said they will, but not all devs will - also I feel like fantastic contraption would work OK in a front facing setup

SomTervo

I think motion controls are fine, but I might like using the xbox controller just to be lazy.

Do they do the thing where turning around is done in increments of something like 45 degrees instead of having to do a normal dizzying spin? That's pretty key for me.

Member of the Solus Project dev team here

Edit: ignore rest of post. Apparently we do this. 'Comfort turning' or 'snap-turning' or whatever it is called is in the game, says one member of the team. Again, I haven't played it in VR, so can't comment.

I don't think we do that. VR was added really recently and it's still essentially at a hacked-in stage. It works functionally but isn't developed or tweaked much. Busting our balls to fix it right now, though.

I hadn't heard of that 45-degree-incremental-turn idea before. Sounds like an excellent idea. So when you press the turn button your character insta-rotates 45 degrees rather than smooth-turning by single degrees like normal?

Will suggest it to the team. 45 degrees sounds like a lot, though? What other games have used this method?

I fully expect any dev not locked into an exclusivity agreement will try and support both headsets - so vive for seated (you can sit down in it!) and rift with touch. But there will be some limitations with touch like I mentioned before - games that absolutely require 360 degree rotation will rely on those devs supporting a non-standard opposing camera setup. I know the fantastic contraption devs have said they will, but not all devs will - also I feel like fantastic contraption would work OK in a front facing setup

Yeah, I think the fact that it involves any extra work at all will mean smaller devs that don't have the resource may not support it.
I think in the end we'll see the majority of software being developed for the middle ground where the majority of people will be able to play the games without altering their setup - largely front facing motion controlled games.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah, I think the fact that it involves any extra work at all will mean smaller devs that don't have the resource may not support it.
I think in the end we'll see the majority of software being developed for the middle ground where the majority of people will be able to play the games without altering their setup - largely front facing motion controlled games.

I agree and that is a little worrying as a vive owner :)

The volume of oculus rift and PSVR compare to vive means devs will likely focus on front facing - although both support 360 tracking on the headset so that helps a little, but the controllers are the limitation.

I just can't figure out how you'd handle any kind of free exploration like budget cuts/vanishing realms etc

I agree and that is a little worrying as a vive owner :)

The volume of oculus rift and PSVR compare to vive means devs will likely focus on front facing - although both support 360 tracking on the headset so that helps a little, but the controllers are the limitation.

I just can't figure out how you'd handle any kind of free exploration like budget cuts/vanishing realms etc

I think there's ways you could fudge it - if people can accept teleportation and the chaperone boundaries as restrictions which break immersion in some ways, I'm sure they can accept some form quick turnaround that allows you to interact with things behind you without having to physically turn around. People with non-360 setups could use that while Vive/opposing camera people could have the full freedom.

I think any disappointment in a lack of roomscale will be offset a bit once we start to see some front facing motion controlled games to show what they can do. I think being a little less restricted by how they design around movement in full movement games is going to enable a lot of really interesting games that still take advantage of VR and motion controls.

I guess the people that have bizarrely fully hitched their wagon to roomscale being the only true VR and everything else being dogshit won't be happy to start with, but I'm sure they'll come around to it. And roomscale will still be there - there's so much potential with it that I can't imagine it ever being dropped entirely, I just don't think it will be the focus for at least the immediate future. Hardware standardisation would help, but they'll always be fighting against what the market can actually set up and take advantage of.

Durante

Gen 2 headsets hit the reset button though. If CV2 improves tracking while keeping the other benefits I'll happily buy it.
I'll happily buy a HMD from Huawei, or LG, or some new startup I don't even know yet.

I certainly won't buy anything from Oculus until they stop adding fucking hardware DRM to their software.

Seriously guys, hardware DRM.

Paganmoon

Check out the screen in the background in this video.

Looks like it's using Steam VR, wonder will it have tracked controller support?

From your Reddit thread:

http://www.pcgamer.com/hands-on-with-deus-ex-mankind-divideds-powerful-augs-and-new-arcade-mode/

And, there's even a bit of VR coming to Mankind Divided. You won't be able to play the full game with a VR headset, but there will be four in-game locations you can visit and explore in virtual reality. I know our Andy Kelly will be excited: not only is he a big fan of VR, he also loves Adam Jensen's apartment, so I'm hoping he'll be able to visit it in person and maybe even punch that mirror himself. He never asked for this, but he'll be happy to have it.

So... I might have to buy Mankind Divided for the PC as well when it gets cheap. One of the reasons I really want to try VorpX is just to be able to "see" the world of some games, not to actually play them in VR.
So this is cool that they'll actually implement something like that in the game itself.

I don't think we do that. VR was added really recently and it's still essentially at a hacked-in stage. It works functionally but isn't developed or tweaked much. Busting our balls to fix it right now, though.

I hadn't heard of that 45-degree-incremental-turn idea before. Sounds like an excellent idea. So when you press the turn button your character insta-rotates 45 degrees rather than smooth-turning by single degrees like normal?

Will suggest it to the team. 45 degrees sounds like a lot, though? What other games have used this method?
windlands uses it. minecraft (I think) will use it. vivecraft (a user mod) uses it.

here is me using it in windlands. I think mine is set to 30 degrees, and it has options for 15, 30, or 45 degrees? It really helps prevent VR motion sickness. and it is jarring at first but a lot easier to grow accustomed to than smooth pan. thanks to playing windlands with that degree of instant turning, i can survive smooth rotation in some other games I play, but I still lose my balance that way if I'm not careful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5hmTVGaDR0

Onemic

I'll happily buy a HMD from Huawei, or LG, or some new startup I don't even know yet.

I certainly won't buy anything from Oculus until they stop adding fucking hardware DRM to their software.

Seriously guys, hardware DRM.

Yup I'm in the same boat. Oculus had to stop their bs before I support them.

Helznicht

And, there's even a bit of VR coming to Mankind Divided. You won't be able to play the full game with a VR headset, but there will be four in-game locations you can visit and explore in virtual reality. I know our Andy Kelly will be excited: not only is he a big fan of VR, he also loves Adam Jensen's apartment, so I'm hoping he'll be able to visit it in person and maybe even punch that mirror himself. He never asked for this, but he'll be happy to have it.

Sounds like a cop out to me. Hopefully this sets a path in to easily mod VR for the whole game.

SomTervo

windlands uses it. minecraft (I think) will use it. vivecraft (a user mod) uses it.

here is me using it in windlands. I think mine is set to 30 degrees, and it has options for 15, 30, or 45 degrees? It really helps prevent VR motion sickness. and it is jarring at first but a lot easier to grow accustomed to than smooth pan. thanks to playing windlands with that degree of instant turning, i can survive smooth rotation in some other games I play, but I still lose my balance that way if I'm not careful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5hmTVGaDR0

Sorry I missed this - edited my post now.

It is in the game apparently :)

We're bringing in lots and lots of new features and alterations to make VR work better in The Solus Project.

When it works for people it seems to be like a 10/10 experience (plus like 10-20 hours long) but whether it works or not is so subjective. Seems to go between a 10/10 and a 3/10 VR experience based on the user's aptitude.

Paganmoon

Sounds like a cop out to me. Hopefully this sets a path in to easily mod VR for the whole game.

I don't think every game needs to be VR compatible, Deus Ex, I'm not sure would work too well, as parts of it goes into 3rd person view, locomotion in first person view would be problematic, and so on.

I think games (unless they're cockpit view), need to be designed for VR, and not something you just tack on as an after thought. It requires a lot of work to get it right.

Something small as an added bonus to the game, like this is great though imo. I do enjoy playing games with a controller, looking at the screen still, so I don't want to play -every- game with VR.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I guess the people that have bizarrely fully hitched their wagon to roomscale being the only true VR and everything else being dogshit won't be happy to start with, but I'm sure they'll come around to it. And roomscale will still be there - there's so much potential with it that I can't imagine it ever being dropped entirely, I just don't think it will be the focus for at least the immediate future. Hardware standardisation would help, but they'll always be fighting against what the market can actually set up and take advantage of.

I don't think it's bizarre to strongly support 360 tracking of your body though - it seems fairly fundamental to providing a freedom of movement (at least for non-seated games). As fundamental as tracked controllers. I do think 'room scale' as in being able to freely walk around a large area isn't critical though.

Zalusithix

Unrelated to any recent conversation chain, but one thing that VR has taught me is that the far neural-jack future need not actually simulate fleshbag movement via legs. Or any form of traditional movement for that matter. I mean, it's obviously something it could do, but it seems our brains are quite capable of adapting to instantly teleporting to areas we can see.

The biggest cognitive effort is placing the teleport marker in the first place. If we could just intuitively "blink" to wherever we were thinking in our minds, we'd be able to rapidly move about terrain. Unrealistic in terms of our physical selves, but our minds seem to accept it, and it doesn't appear to disorient us. Even in the cases where the mind is disoriented such as after huge jumps, or facing a different direction after a jump, it reorients itself faster than traditional locomotion would allow.

It's kind of crazy how well the mind adapts to something that's physically impossible. Especially given how generally rigid our expectations are in terms of physics. This is something the mind would never have to had to deal with during any point in our evolution. I'm kind of curious as to whether we're better, the same, or worse at spatially mapping a larger area in our minds with teleportation vs traditional constant movement.

I don't think it's bizarre to strongly support 360 tracking of your body though - it seems fairly fundamental to providing a freedom of movement (at least for non-seated games). As fundamental as tracked controllers. I do think 'room scale' as in being able to freely walk around a large area isn't critical though.

Oh for sure. It's the people who seem completely closed to anything but 360 tracking/roomscale and think anything but that isn't 'real' VR that I find bizarre.
You'd hope that people who are open to VR in it's infancy and willing to invest this early would be open to the whole range of experience VR experiences on offer now and going forward regardless of their input methods or range of movement required.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Apologies if this isn't allowed in here..

I'm looking to unload my Vive, (shit happens, and I'm a bit outside the return period). If anyone is interested, please PM me.

as long as you don't need to rent a U-Haul truck, you should be fine in the BST thread.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Oh for sure. It's the people who seem completely closed to anything but 360 tracking/roomscale and think anything but that isn't 'real' VR that I find bizarre.
You'd hope that people who are open to VR in it's infancy and willing to invest this early would be open to the whole range of experience VR experiences on offer now and going forward regardless of their input methods or range of movement required.
VR is cool in all forms, yet roomscale is completely nuts. It's in a league of it's own, and it's no surprise it gets the most praise and hopes it attracts the most investments.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Edit: ignore rest of post. Apparently we do this. 'Comfort turning' or 'snap-turning' or whatever it is called is in the game, says one member of the team. Again, I haven't played it in VR, so can't comment.

Cool. Looking forward to it then. May have to wait for my GTX 1080 to really dig into it since it looks so good at higher resolutions.

Technolust is the game that introduced me to the method and it works great. That game does 45 degrees and it works fine since you can see everything in between by turning your neck. But maybe that only works because a city is all 90 degree angles anyway and the environments are smaller. The larger environments set in nature might require something a little smaller. Would have to test it.

Bookoo

How is what Oculus is doing inherently different than Uncharted 4 or Bayonetta 2 being exclusive to a particular console?

The answer you will get is "it's because its on PC" and the headsets are just peripherals (not consoles) and the only thing restricting access is the DRM as some of the games already worked on other platforms using the revive hack.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Cool. Looking forward to it then. May have to wait for my GTX 1080 to really dig into it since it looks so good at higher resolutions.

Technolust is the game that introduced me to the method and it works great. That game does 45 degrees and it works fine since you can see everything in between by turning your neck. But maybe that only works because a city is all 90 degree angles anyway and the environments are smaller. The larger environments set in nature might require something a little smaller. Would have to test it.

how do you do the higher resolution/supersampling stuff on vive? Hopefully getting a 1080 soon and I'm curious how it'll clean things up

Zalusithix

How is what Oculus is doing inherently different than Uncharted 4 or Bayonetta 2 being exclusive to a particular console?

Locked down consoles or phones are precisely the sort of examples that many of PC users don't want to see the PC devolve into. We have the advantage on PC of being largely hardware agnostic. Imagine if Nvidia/AMD decided to not only make special features available to the games they're "featured" for, but instead made it so those games flat out didn't work without their brand. Or a flight sim that only works with X brand of joysticks.

Making a hardware bound console within an otherwise open PC is bad form.

MaDKaT

I can probably be considered 1 of 'Those' people. Seated VR that isnt in a cockpit just doesnt interest me. Not to say some of the non cockpit seated games arent neat, just that I do feel they are half measure VR experiences. For me VR is about being in the experience and not just a floating camera, if that makes sense.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Got FuturePinball setup with Steamvr beta support and the experience of a full pinball table in VR is fantastic. FP's physics not so much, Graphics like VP are a mixed bag.
I really can't wait for TPA to get VR support and ifyour a pinhead like me the Futurepinball mod is worth trying to just play adams family and Lord of the rings for now.

In other news looks like War Thunder updated today and added official Vive support.
Can 't wait to try it when i get home from work

Tain

Got FuturePinball setup with Steamvr beta support and the experience of a full pinball table in VR is fantastic. FP's physics not so much, Graphics like VP are a mixed bag.
I really can't wait for TPA to get VR support and ifyour a pinhead like me the Futurepinball mod is worth trying to just play adams family and Lord of the rings for now.

I didn't know this was a thing. Is the table accuracy in the same ballpark as TPA?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Locked down consoles or phones are precisely the sort of examples that many of PC users don't want to see the PC devolve into. We have the advantage on PC of being largely hardware agnostic. Imagine if Nvidia/AMD decided to not only make special features available to the games they're "featured" for, but instead made it so those games flat out didn't work without their brand. Or a flight sim that only works with X brand of joysticks.

Making a hardware bound console within an otherwise open PC is bad form.

Honestly if Nvidia fully funded a game and locked it to their hardware I wouldn't care. It's their money, they can do that if they want with the product they finance.

Without Oculus and their headset some of their games don't even get made so those without Oculus headsets lose nothing.

Oculus doesn't see their headset as a peripheral, they see it as a platform.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I didn't know this was a thing. Is the table accuracy in the same ballpark as TPA?

no not as good as TPA in general its more like Visual PInball..some are amazingly perfect and others are more close since they're all player made its much more inconsistent..tho the mods are very cool

currently the dmd's are abit rough and moire patterns are a problem,but with 4x AA setting its pretty darn cool it feels like real table more then a virtual pinball cabinet ever could..its just abit low res looking due to screendoor effect etc.

Heres link with info and links to files you need.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4hvhl5/future_pinball_on_vive_is_fantastic/

Durante

It's not. I don't buy consoles over PCs either.

And PCs turning into consoles is an absolute nightmare scenario for me. (That's one of the reasons I got extremely active in opposing UWP)

Yes, both.

I prefer small increments to the sides instead of INSTANT 45º turn (barf mode)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom