• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compsiox

Banned
Wouldn't that be experienced as a nausea inducing involuntary movement? (that teleport is supposed to solve)

No. There have been plenty of experiments going on with this. Someone is bound to find a solution, one has kinda been found but haven't seen it implemented yet.

Teleporting and wave based games won't be fun for much longer.

Lunar FC

You truly don't understand. The momentum of sharp movement will steal your controller from your hands no matter how good the grip.

Guess I don't. My room isn't even big enough that I trust myself swinging around wildly such as you guys suggest.

Yea you need to be smart to understand how some objects behave when speed and inertia are involved. Don't worry about it.

Hah, mhk bruh.

d00d3n

No. There have been plenty of experiments going on with this. Someone is bound to find a solution, one has kinda been found but haven't seen it implemented yet.

Teleporting and wave based games won't be fun for much longer.

Interesting! And it is the aforementioned point autowalk thing that seems to work?

Durante

Don't have it, but never the less. I don't even use straps because I can hold onto to things.
I encourage you to get Holoball and play it on higher difficulty. It's a great experience, and it will broaden your horizon on what it means to hold onto things, especially after a few rounds ;)

(Though now I'm a bit concerned about playing it again, even with a Wii strap)

Valahart

Hey guys,

I'm going to the US next week and I'm wondering how is Vive's availability in stores? Mainly GameStop since that's the easiest one to find, and if anyone is specifically from FL that would be gold.

Thanks in advance!

d00d3n

Yes. I'm going to look into it more. It's been bit since I last heard about it. I'll let you know what I find.

Cool. I assume that rotation of the play area in relation to the game space should be disabled in such a system? (so that only position is changed after a walk, not the direction you are facing)

Wallach

You're the second one I've seen with the lanyard itself break. I guess it's out of freak incident level now and can be considered a legitimate flaw. Either in the strap itself being too weak, or the controller being capable of breaking it (sharp edge?). That line should not be capable of fraying/breaking under any reasonable use case. I guess I'll be looking to see what alternative options are out there.

It's been a common topic on Reddit. People there were saying that the Nintendo wrist straps were easy to find and people were replacing the stock wrist straps with those to avoid issues.

AHK_Hero

Hey guys,

I'm going to the US next week and I'm wondering how is Vive's availability in stores? Mainly GameStop since that's the easiest one to find, and if anyone is specifically from FL that would be gold.

Thanks in advance!

I haven't heard of Gamestop's having the Vive readily available. The only brick and mortars I've heard of with inventory are MicroCenters, which sadly have no Florida locations.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/464891/Vive_Virtual_Reality_Headset

7SiNnE9.jpg

According to Steam's homepage today though, looks like they can ship way faster than before. I intend to buy one in the coming months online myself.

My fault for not following the Vive thread closely all the time :( (I mean it)

But my PSA has dangerous red text and scary images, so maybe more people will pay attention ;)

(Fun fact: I was playing with an open window, so if my VR space layout was different... it's actually scary to consider)

That's nothing. My Vive is upstairs, and when my wife had a go on Brookhaven she panicked so much she ran backwards into the wall, only a foot or two away from the open window. If she was lined up with it she would have fallen out and we'd have had our first VR related death. Scary as hell for me as she could have just as easily ran backwards into my pc and knocked it off the desk!

Yusaku

Yeah, since you have a 980ti it could be that it always scaled higher, but now also does so on my lowly 970. Or I simply forgot just how good it looked.

ANYWAY

PSA

I was just playing Holoball, and this happened:
dsc_00271sjxt9.jpg

So basically I lost the controller on a swing, the lanyard broke, and the controller was flung into a wall at pretty ridiculous speed. My first thought was "WTF just happened", the second was "Oh shit, so much for VR for however longit takes to get a replacement".

Well, the good news is that the controller still seems to work - and from cursory tests tracks as well as it did before - which I find pretty incredible. These things are built like tanks. On the other hand, the fact that the very thing supposed to prevent this from happening simply broke is also pretty incredible.

So yeah, get some better lanyard if you are like me and prone to really get into these physical games.

Just to give you an idea of the force we are talking about here, this is where it hit the wall:
dsc_002813zyer.jpg

My roommate thought he was Andre Agassi in Cyberpong VR. The strap didn't break, he was just to close to the wall.

XTC5yJ6.jpg

Controller was fine, just some paint rubbed on it.

Durante

Well, good to know I'm not the only one! (And that the controllers are sturdy in general)

I actually noticed that mine has a pretty significant gap between two pieces of plastic now (~1mm), but applying some pressure made it snap back together firmly (and with a noise loud enough that I thought I just broke it).

Trouble

Banned
Yeah, since you have a 980ti it could be that it always scaled higher, but now also does so on my lowly 970. Or I simply forgot just how good it looked.

ANYWAY

PSA

I was just playing Holoball, and this happened:
dsc_00271sjxt9.jpg

So basically I lost the controller on a swing, the lanyard broke, and the controller was flung into a wall at pretty ridiculous speed. My first thought was "WTF just happened", the second was "Oh shit, so much for VR for however longit takes to get a replacement".

Well, the good news is that the controller still seems to work - and from cursory tests tracks as well as it did before - which I find pretty incredible. These things are built like tanks. On the other hand, the fact that the very thing supposed to prevent this from happening simply broke is also pretty incredible.

So yeah, get some better lanyard if you are like me and prone to really get into these physical games.

Just to give you an idea of the force we are talking about here, this is where it hit the wall:
dsc_002813zyer.jpg

This shit is the wii-mote all over again, isn't it?

Lunar FC

I'd defiantly agree with the sturdiness. Had all my friends over one night and one of them was playing the Budget cuts demo when another friend (which I explicitly told her not to do) slightly pushes him in the back when he was as a ledge inside the game. This causes him to face plant into the wall. I was livid as you can imagine and there was scuffs on the hmd, but thankfully they came off and I didn't have to exile her from my life.

Edit:

Anybody have impressions on this?

Zalusithix

It's been a common topic on Reddit. People there were saying that the Nintendo wrist straps were easy to find and people were replacing the stock wrist straps with those to avoid issues.

Yeah, I don't keep up with Reddit. Take a peek every once in awhile, but that's about it.

I do have Nintendo Wii wrist straps now that I think of it though. I never actually used them with any of the controllers. Stuck them in a drawer and that was that. (Never played any game that actually required large motions.) Now that I dragged them out of their purgatory, I can say I'm not a huge fan of the locking slider, but I suppose I could remove the locking tab from it. Also don't have two in black, but that might be a way to keep left an right straight with the headset off... Assuming one is always right. Haven't tested whether it's power on order or preset on which controller is given which hand.

Durante

I never threw a Wiimote -- and if I had, the lanyard would probably not have broken :(

Then again, there also isn't anything on Wii which caused me to physically move with even half as much force/acceleration as Holoball.

Just fired up The Lab since the patch, and the IQ looks noticeably better to me. It's been a little while since I've played it though.

I really wanna see a developer get brave and use the point and walk method. When you come to a stop you can walk around with room scale.

If I understand what you mean, I'm pretty sure that's what VR zGame is doing.

Compsiox

Banned
I'd defiantly agree with the sturdiness. Had all my friends over one night and one of them was playing the Budget cuts demo when another friend (which I explicitly told her not to do) slightly pushes him in the back when he was as a ledge inside the game. This causes him to face plant into the wall. I was livid as you can imagine and there was scuffs on the hmd, but thankfully they came off and I didn't have to exile her from my life.

Edit:

Anybody have impressions on this?

Gonna play this in like 20 minutes ill let you know

Edit: It released but they don't actually have the game to download. Odd.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
So I have no idea what I'm doing in War Thunder and apparently there's not alot of single player to learn on before going online it seems.

I get stuck in the tutorial mission where it says to zoom in to see the ground target..it doesn't recognize that button or key so I have to bail out.

I was getting alot of judder but noticed the monitor was fullscreen so ingame settings i lowered to 1024x768 and windowed and relaunced and high detail seems perfectly playable on a i7 2600k @4.3 with a 970.
by product of the desktop resolution being lower is the speed and map info are pulled in closer at the lower resolution so easier to glance at.

TheRed

I just completed wave 32 in Longbow and am now resting, this is the farthest I've gotten but don't think I'm ready for the next wave lol. I want to reach the top 10 of that leaderboard!

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

At least you're not as likely to be aiming your throw at the tv if the wrist strap broke. One of my friends broke my tv thanks to those crappy Wii wrist straps + Wii bowling.

Trouble

Banned
Wait, Talos Principle has a VR mode? How am I just finding this out today?

I only realized because GeForce Experience apparently now does VR configs, which is nice. Doesn't work for Project Cars for me though, says it can't find the config.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom