• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafbanaan

I'm in doubt to buy a Vive and mainly because of the following question:

Can you also play the games with mouse and keyboard? I know that for example holoball wont work with that, but like a Project Cars or something that doesn't really require the controllers.

Sky Chief

I'm in doubt to buy a Vive and mainly because of the following question:

Can you also play the games with mouse and keyboard? I know that for example holoball wont work with that, but like a Project Cars or something that doesn't really require the controllers.

Why would you ever want to play Project Cars that way even not in VR?

EDIT: I'm sure if there was a game where mouse and keyboard were appropriate inputs you could use them. For example, if you are playing traditional Steam games on the big screen I think you can and Virtual Desktop uses them too. But they would be totally useless in almost any made for VR game. Another big problem is you can't see them in VR so if you take your hand off the keyboard for a second you then have to re-orientate yourself by feeling aimlessly for the "F" or "J" key (and then how do you know which is which except by trying to find the other) or take the headset off.

Zalusithix

- Lightgun game support confirmed

Quite possibly the one thing that has me the most excited about VR emulation of old games. Everything else can be done well enough with a modern set up, but light gun games require something more. Closest we've had is the Wii-mote/Move motion controller systems, but those were hardly PC standard options, and will fade into obscurity in their own right. VR will allow preservation of those games long after the last CRT bites the dust and the first generation console motion controllers are a footnote in history.

Also played The Lab last night. I'm not sure it looks any better than it did before. 20+ days between sessions leaves a lot to be desired when comparing things. Still looks great at any rate. The loading screens seem smoother, but that could be a figment of my imagination. Listening to the cores again put a smirk on my face more than once. They might be a bunch of mini-games / demos, but their execution is flawless. Mechanics, assets, writing, voice acting... All great. Par for the course with Valve games really.

Perhaps he just means playing without the Vive controllers and instead using a wheel. Or a standard controller. I sure hope not with a M&KB... That'd be horrible lol.

I suppose I should answer the question though... Yes you can use whatever a game supports to control it, just like outside of VR. Standard sitting experiences can be had with a M&KB, controller, wheel, HOTAS, etc. Mind you, the Rift has more of those types of games available than the Vive. (Without jumping through DRM bypassing hoops.) The native Vive lineup is much more heavily focused on the tracked controllers. Frankly the Rift will likely see a massive swing to that as well whenever the Touch controllers hit. They add a hell of a lot to the experience outside of cockpit games.

rafbanaan

EDIT: I'm sure if there was a game where mouse and keyboard were appropriate inputs you could use them. For example, if you are playing traditional Steam games on the big screen I think you can and Virtual Desktop uses them too. But they would be totally useless in almost any made for VR game. Another big problem is you can't see them in VR so if you take your hands off the keyboard for a second you then have to re-orientate yourself by feeling aimlessly for the "F" or "J" key (and then how do you know which is which except by trying to find the other) or take the headset off.

I rephrased it wrong (it's early ;)). I can probably just use it like a Rift?

And Project Cars indeed with a controller.. :p

Edit: Ok, just read Zalusithix's comment.

I could go for a Rift, but when I want to play with the controller the Vive is ofcourse the more mature one. I wanted to double check that I could use the Vive like a Rift :) Will probably order one when my paycheck hits the bank :D

Sky Chief

I rephrased it wrong (it's early ;)). I can probably just use it like a Rift?

And Project Cars indeed with a controller.. :p

Edit: Ok, just read Zalusithix's comment.

I could go for a Rift, but when I want to play with the controller the Vive is ofcourse the more mature one. I wanted to double check that I could use the Vive like a Rift :) Will probably order one when my paycheck hits the bank :D

Haha, no worries! Yes, you can indeed play games on the Vive with a standard controller of they don't require motion controls.

It really looks fantastic in Vive.

Can we expect Euro Truck Sim / American Truck Sim to have Vive compatibility anytime soon? Any signs?

It's had it for quite some time. Opt into the Oculus beta on Steam and set launch parameters to -openvr

There are some performance issues though, and you might need to tweak some stuff to get it running in a comfortable state.

Durante

Also played The Lab last night. I'm not sure it looks any better than it did before. 20+ days between sessions leaves a lot to be desired when comparing things. Still looks great at any rate. The loading screens seem smoother, but that could be a figment of my imagination. Listening to the cores again put a smirk on my face more than once. They might be a bunch of mini-games / demos, but their execution is flawless. Mechanics, assets, writing, voice acting... All great. Par for the course with Valve games really.
Yeah, this is certainly true. And it doesn't have an option to opt into the previous build, like some other game do.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm 100% certified accident free.

Never knew people were so defensive of controllers flying out of hands. Boy.

More defensive of someone being so dismissive about it happening. I'm in a small space and haven't played holoball or holopoint just in case I hit something, but playing vanishing realms and eventually I forget about the damn room as I'm too busy trying to kill a giant skeleton. And hit the wall.

It happens. Not to everyone but to enough people to be aware of it.

As for letting go - the controller is actually really badly designed for grip. It's smooth plastic which tapers to the end. It could have a rubberised grip, it could have a bulbous end. It's pretty much designed to fly out of your hand if you aren't paying attention and get a bit sweaty

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Quite possibly the one thing that has me the most excited about VR emulation of old games. Everything else can be done well enough with a modern set up, but light gun games require something more. Closest we've had is the Wii-mote/Move motion controller systems, but those were hardly PC standard options, and will fade into obscurity in their own right. VR will allow preservation of those games long after the last CRT bites the dust and the first generation console motion controllers are a footnote in history.

Where pinball in VR was Jeremy from tested's spur to make a physical controller, I think lightgun games might be that for me. I'd love to have a proper pistol grip and recoil like the point blank games.

Compsiox

Banned
Wait... Are you kidding? I played it for 10 minutes/almost threw up/game is absolute shit/refunded.

Is this a Digital Homicide game?

Well either you're super sensitive or the 10 other people aren't sensitive.

Are you sure it was running at 90fps? I feel like with how you move inches at a time by default this is an overreaction.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So on my iPad I still can't watch a video preview of a game from the store page, but I can view a 3D rendered preview of a room and move it around? Nuts.

Btw - how do you super sample in the vive? Getting a 1070 or 1080 and I hope there is enough juice (at least in the 1080) to do that to clean up the image

I don't know if it's available as a system wide setting but The Solus Project and I think The Gallery Episode 1 have super sample options in their graphics menus.

I knew VR needed 90FPS at slightly higher than HD resolutions to play well, but I didn't expect it also to need some real heavy duty anti aliasing to make it look halfway decent.

Paganmoon

So on my iPad I still can't watch a video preview of a game from the store page, but I can view a 3D rendered preview of a room and move it around? Nuts.

Btw - how do you super sample in the vive? Getting a 1070 or 1080 and I hope there is enough juice (at least in the 1080) to do that to clean up the image

From what I understand there is no clear way of super sampling. It's per game (based on engine I think) basis, where you have to get the console up to change for that specific game. But I don't think there is a global setting for it.

Would love to know as well if there is though.

Why does SteamVR tell me it is in Extended Mode, but when I click on Enable Direct Mode, it just reboots in Extended?

Edit, needed to update the firmware, works now. Thanks for the ETS tip, will try it out.

the TMO

Do you guys think there will be dynamic Vive Backgrounds in the future?

That would be great......

As animated? I think so, the problem is that the steamvr envirnoment is always in the background, so can be expensive to have something render constantly all the time.

Fishook

Tested it Yesterday, and yes it was a impressive piece if tech. My eyesight you wasn't good enough for it to work properly a bit like 3d movies. Blurry and out of focus. It saved me some money I suppose.

I pleased I managed to try it out.

I'm 100% certified accident free.

Never knew people were so defensive of controllers flying out of hands. Boy.
Never will understand how somebody can lose handle of a controller. Also, your wall texture grosses me out.

This is an offensive post. So people are offended. When you play offense, the other side plays defense. If you weren't trying to be offensive, you should be more careful with how you express yourself. If you were trying to be offensive, then I don't know why you're acting surprised by the reactions. If you were trying to be offensive, and acting surprised to continue to be offensive, I don't know why the forums are allowing it.

Is the Vive worth buying if I have an i7 6700K, a GTX 970, Windows 10 and 16 GB RAM and a tiny room?

i first played in a big room at work, but for over a month been in my small room at home. I pretty much play standing experiences, which let's me play half the games I used to play. I still like it.

no input about your PC setup, though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is the Vive worth buying if I have an i7 6700K, a GTX 970, Windows 10 and 16 GB RAM and a tiny room?

how tiny? It is find to have standing room only, but really you want enough space to hold your arms out by your side and spin on the spot like Wonder Woman. Doesn't hugely matter if you're swinging over the top of a sofa or low chair - waist high space is more important than ground space (both is obviously better)

PC is fine. CPU is great and the GPU is the minimum spec but games tend to be written with that in mind.

GlamFM

Banned
Hey guys. I found one game that has an oversampling option in the display settings - it does make the image better.

Is there a way to activate oversampling "globally" for VR games?

Don't think so. And I agree with you that it makes a big difference. When I could bump up the setting in Project Cars after getting my 1080, I could suddenly read every single dial on my dashboard instead of having to lean in or squint to sort of make them out.

Helznicht

Hey guys. I found one game that has an oversampling option in the display settings - it does make the image better.

Yes it does. I have not found a way to SS globally. Plus not all games render at the same internal resolution. So a global setting of 1.5 might work good for a native res game but other are already doing SS in the engine and a 1.5 may be way over the top.

BTW, what game was it?

GlamFM

Banned
Yes it does. I have not found a way to SS globally. Plus not all games render at the same internal resolution. So a global setting of 1.5 might work good for a native res game but other are already doing SS in the engine and a 1.5 may be way over the top.

BTW, what game was it?

maxresdefault.jpg

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
In Solus they recommend setting to 150% then as well turning off AA clears up the the txt in VR.
I wonder if that also applies to other games

Durante

I've considered whether some kind of global downsampling injection for OpenVR games would be viable. It would certainly be nice for games without native support.

I'll be a lot more motivated to try something like that when I get a new GPU and could actually take advantage of it ;)

GlamFM

Banned
I've considered whether some kind of global downsampling injection for OpenVR games would be viable. It would certainly be nice for games without native support.

I'll be a lot more motivated to try something like that when I get a new GPU and could actually take advantage of it ;)

Do it! Your tag needs it, looks ridiculous because it´s so short.

SomTervo

In Solus they recommend setting to 150% then as well turning off AA clears up the the txt in VR.
I wonder if that also applies to other games

The team are busting their butts atm to push out a new update which includes new default settings for that stuff as well as a load of control/gameplay improvements and a suite of in-game tutorials to help you get the most out of VR.

Aiming to have it up today but a lot of the team are travelling so it's a bit tough.

(Dev here)

jaypah

Well, good to know I'm not the only one! (And that the controllers are sturdy in general)

I actually noticed that mine has a pretty significant gap between two pieces of plastic now (~1mm), but applying some pressure made it snap back together firmly (and with a noise loud enough that I thought I just broke it).

Exactly what happened to me. I had to close the controller back together and I was super scared that it wouldn't track but it took that window like a champ. Also my window was surprisingly stronger than I thought lol. I guess they really are hurricane grade windows (I live in New Orleans). Naturally I was playing Holoball, trying to beat the medium difficulty which I had been attempting for a few days. After checking the window and replacing the vertical blind that I broke then checking the controller and snapping it back together I put the headset back on to check the tracking and to my surprise I was greeted with the victory screen. That wild swing had won the match, lol. Worth it!

GlamFM

Banned
The team are busting their butts atm to push out a new update which includes new default settings for that stuff as well as a load of control/gameplay improvements and a suite of in-game tutorials to help you get the most out of VR.

Aiming to have it up today but a lot of the team are travelling so it's a bit tough.

(Dev here)

Cool - I played around with it yesterday, could not get the controller to work in VR and got totally confused by the motion controls.

I was suuuuper tired though. Going back to it tonight.

House of the Dying Sun is a fucking cool video game

VR makes it even cooler

My two favorite games so far have been seated experiences(this and elite) though they benefit from being actual video games first.

Still need to try vanishing realms, though

Durante

I'd ask you for insight on how something like Holopoint or Audioshield is not an "actual video game" -- especially given how they are extremely similar to what was the basic structure of all video games (that is, arcade games) for a decade or two after they first appeared -- but I think we'd just reiterate a discussion that has happened 5 times in this thread alone.

Lunar FC

This is an offensive post. So people are offended. When you play offense, the other side plays defense. If you weren't trying to be offensive, you should be more careful with how you express yourself. If you were trying to be offensive, then I don't know why you're acting surprised by the reactions. If you were trying to be offensive, and acting surprised to continue to be offensive, I don't know why the forums are allowing it.

Lmao, cool your jets. I admitted almost right away that I hadn't played holoball and that I must not understand what yall were experiencing.

New game called Storm VR, looks interesting. Coming out in 2 weeks.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/457380/?snr=1_5_9__205

This was supposed to come out yesterday, must of got pushed back.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently The Solus Project's director and programmers managed to optimise the heck out of it, so it should look good with a 980 or above.

I was wondering about snap-turning in terms of the level design, yeah. TSP has a lot of natural formations - caves, irregular bends, lava hexes. I guess if your head turns the body it's OK. Could be weird, though!

Wow, it does seem to be running way better since early access.

Have everything set to low, but can set the resolution to 150% which seems to be the sweet spot for a good looking and fast running experience on GTX 970.

On a similar note I wasn't quite able to get the performance I wanted out of House of the Dying Sun, but was surprisingly able to fix everything with some slight overclocks. I have no clue how the framerate works exactly in VR, but maybe VR is just something where the 6% increase from 85 FPS to 90 FPS makes a huge difference, but when you're talking something like the 6% increase from 45FPS to 48FPS in a normal game it's not really noticeable at all.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
On a similar note I wasn't quite able to get the performance I wanted out of House of the Dying Sun, but was surprisingly able to fix everything with some slight overclocks. I have no clue how the framerate works exactly in VR, but maybe VR is just something where the 6% increase from 85 FPS to 90 FPS makes a huge difference, but when you're talking something like the 6% increase from 45FPS to 48FPS in a normal game it's not really noticeable at all.

Think of VR performance to be locked like Vsync..Your either 90fps or your 45fps..if you can get consistent 88fps it doesn't matter cuz i t still runs at 45. and your performance monitor will show your cpu and gpu are not being taxed at all.
If you can get consistent 91 ...it runs at 90. and your gpu and cpu will show much higher usage. I'm not sure how quickly it detects and transitions but thats why settings on low are better then medium in some games on cards that can't maintain a constant 90

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Wow, it does seem to be running way better since early access.

Have everything set to low, but can set the resolution to 150% which seems to be the sweet spot for a good looking and fast running experience on GTX 970.

Anything below 90 in VR causes jarring nausea-inducing frame-skipping in the HMD.... even hitting 89. You pretty much need to stay at a constant 90 the entire time or the experience is pretty much crap.

It is totally different than playing games on a monitor.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I have similar specs and haven't been locked out of playing games. There are times in a few games where framerates drop and it's the most frustrating thing in the world, but everything runs fine 90% of the time on slightly lower graphics settings.

For roomscale, most games you're getting around by point and click teleport, and I usually don't like doing more than a step from the center for that type of thing anyway, since usually that leads to immersion breaking moments where I run out of room and have to stop and move back to the center of the room. All I need for most games is enough space to take cover around a corner and pop out of it, and enough space to take a step in a direction and lean over to pick up an object that I'd rather not have to teleport again to get it.

I also choose not to walk much in games like Fantastic Contraption and other puzzly games like that, because usually rotating the object you're working on is way less effort than walking to the other side.

Space Pirate Trainer is maybe the one game where the more space you have the better. People with 5m x 5m space are practically cheating in that game, since they can circle strafe all day and avoid most stuff. But the game is still plenty fun without room to make huge dodges.

I also like a bigger space in Job Trainer because it scales the environment with the room which makes it more immersive, more convenient, and more novel, but again, you don't have to have a big space to enjoy it, a bigger room just makes it better.

There are also a few neat 15 minute or less tech demos that use various tricks and gimmicks to make you get places by walking around in circles. If that sort of thing became huge you might be left out, but I don't expect a lot of stuff like that. I'm guessing people with a lot of roomscale space is too small of a subset of an already small number of VR headset owners to ever see many games like that.

Think of VR performance to be locked like Vsync..Your either 90fps or your 45fps..if you can get consistent 88fps it doesn't matter cuz i t still runs at 45. and your performance monitor will show your cpu and gpu are not being taxed at all.
If you can get consistent 91 ...it runs at 90. and your gpu and cpu will show much higher usage. I'm not sure how quickly it detects and transitions but thats why settings on low are better then medium in some games on cards that can't maintain a constant 90

Anything below 90 in VR causes jarring nausea-inducing frame-skipping in the HMD.... even hitting 89. You pretty much need to stay at a constant 90 the entire time or the experience is pretty much crap.

It is totally different than playing games on a monitor.

Thanks, that's good to know. I'll have to look out for it switching to 45fps, but House of the Dying Sun was definitely running at 90hz, just would occasionally stutter.

Zalusithix

Space Pirate Trainer is maybe the one game where the more space you have the better. People with 5m x 5m space are practically cheating in that game, since they can circle strafe all day and avoid most stuff. But the game is still plenty fun without room to make huge dodges.

I never even really thought of that, but yeah... being able to constantly move to a completely different place out of the crossfire would make that game significantly easier. I don't really have enough room in one dimension to do that, so attacks from the narrow side give comparatively little leeway for dodging. All they'd need to do is confine players to the minimum size play space to alleviate that. Once players move outside of it their guns cease working and they begin taking damage in short order. Either that or rank leaderboards by square footage. Only players of similar play space get lumped together for comparison. Play space tiers if you will.

Random Elite Dangerous question I was hoping someone can help me with. ED is a pleasure to play in VR. However, the galaxy and system map controls are a complete mess. Does anyone know if you can force the mouse to show in the map screens while in VR?

I never even really thought of that, but yeah... being able to constantly move to a completely different place out of the crossfire would make that game significantly easier. I don't really have enough room in one dimension to do that, so attacks from the narrow side give comparatively little leeway for dodging. All they'd need to do is confine players to the minimum size play space to alleviate that. Once players move outside of it their guns cease working and they begin taking damage in short order. Either that or rank leaderboards by square footage. Only players of similar play space get lumped together for comparison. Play space tiers if you will.

This would really, REALLY suck for those people who do have larger play spaces though.

If I went through the trouble to clear out a large room, and games started doing this kind of thing, I'd be very annoyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom