• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a reason you need a crouch button when you can just physically crouch in VR with the Vive?

That confused me as well. Especially since if you do crouch physically, and then press that button, you will clip under the ground.

Game seems to work pretty well otherwise. There are some quirks here and there, but this seems like something I can spend quite a while exploring.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Hi everyone, dev working on The Solus Project here

Please feedback here (or make a thread, if anyone would be so kind) and we'll take note.

Just bought this for the Vive support despite the warning cuz I want to support devs that are trying as much as you guys have been.
I'll give it a good spin tomorrow tonights margaritaville and a movie on the patio

SomTervo

Just bought this for the Vive support despite the warning cuz I want to support devs that are trying as much as you guys have been.
I'll give it a good spin tomorrow tonights margaritaville and a movie on the patio

thanks a million bd

enjoy patiogarita

Is there a reason you need a crouch button when you can just physically crouch in VR with the Vive?

That confused me as well. Especially since if you do crouch physically, and then press that button, you will clip under the ground.

Game seems to work pretty well otherwise. There are some quirks here and there, but this seems like something I can spend quite a while exploring.

Think it's just so the option's there.

Thanks for the bug catch re clipping underground, zepp.

And for things like this:

my fatman/oldman knees thanks anyone that lets me not have to crouch physically all the time in vr :)

------------------

Wow. Thats very exciting. The movement did feel pretty wacky.

Nice game you guys got.

Thanks man!

Destinations is simple but neat. Valve put together a nice brief guide for dabbling in photogrammetry and getting everything going in Source 2, though I wound up using free Autodesk mobile software rather than their paid recommendations. Any SEGA BOYS and/or mech fans might want to check out my first test on the workshop:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=701500083

Cool stuff. What software specifically did you use?

SomTervo

Thought I better repost for new page.

Hi everyone, dev working on The Solus Project here

We have now pushed a very large update with a completely new Vive control scheme.

Patch notes here. Beforehand the design was broken with a touchpad making you walk forward, and all sorts of weird inconsistencies. The controls have now been completely reworked.

Please feedback here (or make a thread, if anyone would be so kind) and we'll take note.

newvrcontrols.jpg

So I just found out that Jeeboman exists. Any particular reason I haven't heard about it until now?

It looks a lot better put together than some of the other shooting galleries I've seen like Space Pirate Trainer, which I've resisted buying because of (what appears to be) a lack of visual artistry.

Also, any good roller coaster sims? Kind of surprised I haven't come across any. I know there are 360 videos but then there's no positional tracking.

Tain

So I just found out that Jeeboman exists. Any particular reason I haven't heard about it until now?

It looks a lot better put together than some of the other shooting galleries I've seen like Space Pirate Trainer, which I've resisted by buying because of (what appeared to be) their lack of visual artistry.

I found Jeeboman to be really busy in-headset, and I ultimately prefer SPT's visuals if only for the sake of readability.

I also thought that Jeeboman had a lot of cool-looking core mechanics but the constant powerups, teleportation safety net (even with the energy limit) and super granular healthbar made it less tense than SPT and Holopoint.

AGH of course Chair in a Room requires 2.5 x 2.5. Was really looking forward to that but I don't think I have the room.
But thank you for the list. :D

From what I understand, they have teleportation in the beta build that you can opt in to. Looks like they're just waiting for more feedback before they push it to the main build.

It looks a lot better put together than some of the other shooting galleries I've seen like Space Pirate Trainer, which I've resisted buying because of (what appears to be) a lack of visual artistry.

I thought it looked alright, but most of the feedback I've seen seems meh to negative.

From what I understand, they have teleportation in the beta build that you can opt in to. Looks like they're just waiting for more feedback before they push it to the main build.

I thought it looked alright, but most of the feedback I've seen seems meh to negative.

Sweet. I'll get it then. Thanks!

Compsiox

Banned
I put my Vive on to play The Solace Project.

I ended up playing Audio Shield, Selfie Tennis, and hours of AltspaceVR.

Holograms against Humanity is amazing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Been out of the loop for about three weeks with no GPU. Other than Pool VR,market here any other must-haves that came out recently?

Is revive still working for oculus games? I couldn't even install oculus home because I didn't have a dedicated GPU installed so I'll have to install the latest version before I can firewall it

Compsiox

Banned
Been out of the loop for about three weeks with no GPU. Other than Pool VR,market here any other must-haves that came out recently?

Is revive still working for oculus games? I couldn't even install oculus home because I didn't have a dedicated GPU installed so I'll have to install the latest version before I can firewall it

The Solus Project definitely. Everything else has been poop (smaller tech demo, ripoffs).

Melon Husk

Destinations by Valve is free.

SomTervo

What horror games are there? I must consume.

The Solus Project has some... Non-relaxing elements

The Solus Project definitely. Everything else has been poop (smaller tech demo, ripoffs).

Thanks for the vote of C!

Thanks, I just bought Solus Project yesterday. What's the ETA for 1.01 on gog.com?

Shit, really good point. Is it up yet on there? I'll check with the guys.

GoG have slightly different processes so there might be a working day's turnaround or something.

thematic

The Solus Project has some... Non-relaxing elements

Thanks for the vote of C!

Shit, really good point. Is it up yet on there? I'll check with the guys.

GoG have slightly different processes so there might be a working day's turnaround or something.

does GOG version support VR?
or it "exclusive" for SteamVR?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Almost 2hrs into Solus on the Vive and here's some impressions and thoughts

1.PDF should be at the end of the left controller tilted towards you abit..not centered on the middle of the controller. Im finding i'm always looking way down and or lifting my arm almost horizontal where if the pdf was just attached higher on the controller it would be more natural to view.

2. I love that you can rotate the world in what looks to be 30degree snaps with the left controller..with limited room scale space it really helps to reorientation yourself so you not stuck in the corner of you room space and it helps reduce the cord getting all tangled up. I can see this will work well with Oculus touch or just those wanting a standing experience vs a large space..so kudos on that. I think the push forward on the pad to walk is ok..but really try VR zGAme's point to walk solution..it would be ideal for Solus and Vanishing Realms for that matter

3.The text on the pdf loads to slow..and since its tied to the right controllers pointer being focused on the paper when you look to read it sometimes the right hand shifts and you have to slowly let it load again. that's frustrating..I'd rather you scan the paper sheets and you point the right hand pointer beam at a read logs category on the pdf that you could scroll thru manually and cycle thru all the ones you've discovered. But at the very least make it so the text fills the screen faster.

4. I have a i7 2600k @ 4.4 16GB Ram and GTX 970 I've set world detail,shadows,view distance to low, 150% render scale, textures on high and AA on and game plays with out any noticeable judder. Game looks great really beautiful.

So far I'm really enjoying it great experience so far.

bee

so just set mine up, plugged it in to pc and started steamvr, it came up with a firmware update for the headset, so it's doing it now but its been on (3 of 5) watchman update for like 10mins, i'm guessing it's not meant to take this long but i don't want to unplug it

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
whats the space game people were talking about?

And has anyone tried Nekopalive?

House of the Dying Sun? It's really good. Good arcady gameplay and controls, and a great artstyle. Just makes me want to wait until the game exits early access with a finished campaign.

I downloaded Nekopalive a while ago but never got around to booting it up.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
House of the Dying Sun? It's really good. Good arcady gameplay and controls, and a great artstyle. Just makes me want to wait until the game exits early access with a finished campaign.

I downloaded Nekopalive a while ago but never got around to booting it up.

thats it, thanks

Zalusithix

whats the space game people were talking about?

And has anyone tried Nekopalive?

Tried Neko. Had to resort to launching the game manually since it would just die immediately anytime I started it up from Steam. I'd say it's not worth it, but being free, you're not losing anything but time by trying it. That said, the scale is off, and it's a quickly hacked together VR implementation if there ever was one. Would be better off just watching it on a 2D monitor frankly.

SomTervo

does GOG version support VR?
or it "exclusive" for SteamVR?

Right, apparently we don't know. GOG have the VR code as part of the build, but we don't know if they've pushed that update. Perhaps worth emailing them.

The team are on vacation ATM but I'll ask em if they can look into it once back.

Almost 2hrs into Solus on the Vive and here's some impressions and thoughts

1.PDF should be at the end of the left controller tilted towards you abit..not centered on the middle of the controller. Im finding i'm always looking way down and or lifting my arm almost horizontal where if the pdf was just attached higher on the controller it would be more natural to view.

2. I love that you can rotate the world in what looks to be 30degree snaps with the left controller..with limited room scale space it really helps to reorientation yourself so you not stuck in the corner of you room space and it helps reduce the cord getting all tangled up. I can see this will work well with Oculus touch or just those wanting a standing experience vs a large space..so kudos on that. I think the push forward on the pad to walk is ok..but really try VR zGAme's point to walk solution..it would be ideal for Solus and Vanishing Realms for that matter

3.The text on the pdf loads to slow..and since its tied to the right controllers pointer being focused on the paper when you look to read it sometimes the right hand shifts and you have to slowly let it load again. that's frustrating..I'd rather you scan the paper sheets and you point the right hand pointer beam at a read logs category on the pdf that you could scroll thru manually and cycle thru all the ones you've discovered. But at the very least make it so the text fills the screen faster.

4. I have a i7 2600k @ 4.4 16GB Ram and GTX 970 I've set world detail,shadows,view distance to low, 150% render scale, textures on high and AA on and game plays with out any noticeable judder. Game looks great really beautiful.

So far I'm really enjoying it great experience so far.

Cool, thanks! I'll pass the feedback along.

1. So yes, the PDA being placed in the middle of the controller isn't like you're holding it - it's like it's in the palm of your hand, so you need to hold your hand at a funny angle. Good point.

2. Yeah so zGAme's solution is that you hold a button and get a movement-arc, then when you let go of the button your character walks that way?

It looks awesome but surely that makes you feel sick because the camera is moving along by itself? I guess it probably doesn't happen because you have both hands as reference points.

3. I think an option to make PDA screen fill faster is reasonable - but I know they've had a few nightmares with the PDA. Will flag it up. Good point about the right hand commanding your look at it – that's another awkward thing. We have a stretch goal to implement a 'Logs' page on your PDA which will let you read everything in one place, but the UI on the PDA is something we're worried about messing with. It's on our radar, though.

bee

got my issues sorted out, all installed and updated. oh man, it's quite the leap from a dk2, never seen the tutorial before, it was magical, especially just looking down and seeing the controllers over on my desk , walking over and picking them up and then tracking perfectly, i made far too many balloons :) the controllers make a huge difference

the screendoor effect is definitely still there but its way way better than a dk2 imo, once you stop looking for it it's not an issue, need to test more, much much more

bj00rn_

Banned
PCars went from "nice but juddery" to pretty damn great with a gtx 1080 (and a wheel is mandatory for the extra presence). I just spent four hours straight racing.. Wow..

DCS World and Elite Dangerous also become more of an "unlocked" experience compared to my old 970..

Purchase justified, no regrets.

Now let's bring on multiprojection..

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
2. Yeah so zGAme's solution is that you hold a button and get a movement-arc, then when you let go of the button your character walks that way?

It looks awesome but surely that makes you feel sick because the camera is moving along by itself? I guess it probably doesn't happen because you have both hands as reference points.

ya he throws out the teleport location on an arc with a limited range higher you aim the greater the arc so he's limited the distance effectively for how far you and set your self to walk to.
once you click that spot you start walking slowly towards it but your free to turn around and face any direction..and your free to interrupt the walk by pointing it to a new spot.

compared to the push forward and hold on the gamepad method which then lets you steer by turning your head that Solus seems to use and I think Ethan Carter does the same..i find the point to walk arc less disorienting...maybe its just the default is slow but its a cool locomotion method without port hopping

for the most part when your moving it feels like your legs are walking towards something and your free to twist around and face any direction and shoot while your walking to that spot

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
PCars went from "nice but juddery" to pretty damn great with a gtx 1080 (and a wheel is mandatory for the extra presence). I just spent four hours straight racing.. Wow..

DCS World and Elite Dangerous also become more of an "unlocked" experience compared to my old 970..

Purchase justified, no regrets.

Now let's bring on multiprojection..

oh man so tempted to get one..my wallet says wait for 1070, my heart says fool you got a vive cuz you didn't want to compromise the experience

Helznicht

What AA you on in Pcars now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom