• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paganmoon

Sure, but for all games which don't have that this is a great option -- especially if you have a faster GPU!

Ofcourse, I've got a 1080 and this find sounds great to me, but will steal require some per game tweaking. Anything that makes tweaking easier or non-existent (for instance, Engine-level Adaptive SuperSampling) is a plus.
Hopefully though, someone will code a simple launcher where you can tweak this setting straight from SteamVR dashboard at least.

bomblord1

Banned
USB2 is an older, less demanding spec, so it may be more likely to be implemented properly.

Most motherboards also use two different chips to provide their USB connections. For instance, on my current board all of the USB3 ports are provided by a third-party ASMedia chip, whereas most of the USB2 ports come from an Intel chip. Because of variations in how they implement the USB spec, it might be that a headset that doesn't work with one chipset does work with another.

I've removed all the drivers using the "dev" section of the Steam VR settings and re-installed it but it's still not working. Went ahead and checked to see if there was an update for my USB host controller (there wasn't) flashed my BIOS to the latest version and tried a few reboots still to no avail.

Also tried a firmware update on the headset (there was one available) however it did nothing to resolve the issue.

Worth noting the camera does show up under devices in device manager as MMP SDK however windows sees it as a device with an unknown manufacturer and no available drivers. I attempted to manually check for drivers in the HTC Vive driver folder however windows says the camera driver in that folder is not valid for the device.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Steam VR support

Zalusithix

I really think the outward facing camera(s) of the gen 2 sets should have internal compositing of the image. Sure make it available to a program on the computer optionally, but for basic chaperone stuff have it handled by the headset itself. It's rather silly to route the camera image over usb back to the computer to composite it into the rendered image when it could just be composited in at the headset itself. Not exactly computationally complex stuff.

6720x6048 per eye rendering... If it was double digits, I'd be quite surprised.

fwiw, I started with 2 for the SteamVR setting and ED was already set to 1.5. it was definitely in the teens. of course, 2.0 and 1.5 are not the same thing. so 2.0 and 2.0 would probably have been in the single digits yea.

Zalusithix

fwiw, I started with 2 for the SteamVR setting and ED was already set to 1.5. it was definitely in the teens. of course, 2.0 and 1.5 are not the same thing. so 2.0 and 2.0 would probably have been in the single digits yea.

Yeah, since the multipliers would stack, it gets insane fast. A 1.5 internal multiplier would put rendering at 5040x4536 vs 6720x6048. 22,861,440 vs 40,642,560 pixels per eye. That extra .5 makes a massive difference. I mean either is in the realm that'll leave the GPU crying for mercy, but the later is just... cruel and unusual punishment. ;)

Evo X

Gonna try a few games with a 1.5x multiplier on my Titan X and report back. I want to try 2, but it might cripple performance too much.

Z3M0G

Standing at the bottom of an ocean for real. Standing inside the fucking Millenium Falcon at full, real-life size.

Did these experiences have visual depth? (separate image for each eye?) Or were they flat images / video?

Are we getting full 360 life captures with actual 3D depth yet?

Trouble

Banned
So I checked/tweaked my lighthouse positioning, swapped channels and re-ran my room set up. I fired up Elite Dangerous and have had it sitting in the menu for about 30 minutes and neither lighthouse has lost sync. Cautiously optimistic here.

Onemic

"renderTargetMultiplier": 1.5

Dreams-Visions approved for Elite Dangerous @ 980Ti
3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif

Throw on some FXAA or SMAA for good measure. I am now happy. Still not a fix, as I doubt any GPU weaker than a 980Ti (that means most fuckin GPUs) can't use this steamVR supersampling multipler at all for ED. Just not enough power. For the 980Ti, I tried a 2.0 setting just to see what would happen and ED ends up running at like 30fps, well below the 44.7fps or whatever it needs for reprojection.

IF you have a 980Ti/1070/1080 or AMD equivalent change this setting ASAP. If you don't have one of those caliber of GPUs, just ignore this conversation entirely. As far as Elite Dangerous goes, that is. For most other VR games, weaker GPUs can probably use the 2.0 setting just fine.

I thought you could just use ED's internal SS settings to render at 1.5x resolution anyway?

Durante

I really think the outward facing camera(s) of the gen 2 sets should have internal compositing of the image. Sure make it available to a program on the computer optionally, but for basic chaperone stuff have it handled by the headset itself. It's rather silly to route the camera image over usb back to the computer to composite it into the rendered image when it could just be composited in at the headset itself. Not exactly computationally complex stuff.
Yeah, that makes sense. Also, larger FoV/dual cameras would be nice.

Neither of them is really high priority though (I want HDR :p).

I thought you could just use ED's internal SS settings to render at 1.5x resolution anyway?
That apparently downsampled before giving the image to the compositor, which is silly and wastes quality.

Onemic

That apparently downsampled before giving the image to the compositor, which is silly and wastes quality.

Oh, I'm definitely gonna try this then.

Durante

Does anybody else have an issue where adjusting the headset while holding the Vive controllers sometimes makes the world spin or go grey or wobble a lot?
That simply sounds like you are losing tracking on the HMD because you interrupt the line of sight to the lighthouses on too many sensors while adjusting it.

That simply sounds like you are losing tracking on the HMD because you interrupt the line of sight to the lighthouses on too many sensors while adjusting it.

I thought that too, but it seems to happen far more easily than it should. Just getting my controllers close to the headset can trigger it.

Zalusithix

I thought that too, but it seems to happen far more easily than it should. Just getting my controllers close to the headset can trigger it.

If you're adjusting the headset, your hands are likely to the sides near the front. In a normal corner mounted lighthouse setup, that position would be occluding most of the useful sensors.

I can lose tracking doing the same thing, but no spinning/wobble. Just cuts out. Holding a controller up to where my eyes would be doesn't produce the same issue.

Indeed, cant wait to test ED ! I hope its not bugged like the internal ss.

Deepo

I've never gotten mine to work. Apparently it is very picky about what USB ports it will work with. People will tell you to try different USB ports, reduce the framerate, or even buy a separate USB card. Pretty disappointing for a heavily marketed feature.

I'm planning on doing a rebuild of my PC soon anyway, so we will see if a new USB controller and a clean reinstall of the OS and Vive software will make it function.

I had problems with my camera not liking the USB ports as well. Fixed it by connecting the Vive USB via a powered USB 3.0 hub. Working flawlessly now. Give it a go if you have a powered hub lying around.

Finally got around to printing out a cable belt clip. Had been just looping the cable through a belt loop up to this point. While that works to eliminate 99% of the pull on the headset, it offsets the cable to the side, and keeps the cable from sitting completely flat on the head strap. Always wants to twist a bit. With the clip, there's zero pull, is perfectly centered, and the cable lays flat. It's somewhat baffling they never included something like that to begin with. Makes the cord handling experience so much better.

Just a thank you Zalusithix.
Just got mine, that my friend printed for me. Works an absolute treat. Recommended to everyone, and I think you can find a local printer from his link.

Trouble

Banned
So I checked/tweaked my lighthouse positioning, swapped channels and re-ran my room set up. I fired up Elite Dangerous and have had it sitting in the menu for about 30 minutes and neither lighthouse has lost sync. Cautiously optimistic here.

Fuck... FUCK

It started happening again. This shit is getting tired. Of course it starts happening when I start playing a game that you can't pause with pretty hefty death consequences (Elite Dangerous).

I guess I'll try the physical sync cable next. After that we're into reinstall territory. The weirdest thing is I had no sync issues for the entire time I've owned the Vive and this just started up a couple of days ago out of the blue. I haven't changed anything in the room either.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Okay, so the new retro arcade demo is not a demo of their new game/experience. It is a re-release of the old Oculus version... which is actually pretty awesome. Everything works as it previously did and you can add your own game cartridges, etc like previously.

Edit: This page from the developer kind of explains what you need to do and where files go.

After that you can either edit the XML files manually or if you launch New Retro Arcade with steamvr closed you can launch the configuration tool. This gives you a GUI to do the same thing by either making your own cabinets or editing the game cartridges with a few combo drop down boxes. Have fun.

It's my own fault, but I was doing my naive wishful thinking around this title and ended up depressed when seeing that they changed all the original arcade games :(

Don't you have to add them yourself like always?

How are the controls? I see it uses the Vive controllers, do you just pick up a 360 pad to play the arcade games?

bj00rn_

Banned
Don't you have to add them yourself like always?

How are the controls? I see it uses the Vive controllers, do you just pick up a 360 pad to play the arcade games?

Sorry, should've clarified: I'm at the office and only saw a couple of screenshots at the Steam store where they had changed the names and graphics of the original arcade games to something similar visually but with different names. It just gave me the impression that it's compromised. Someone else will hopefully tell us what's going on.

GlamFM

Banned
Probably suuuper LLTP with this, but here is a tool that lets you change the RenderTargetMultiplier globally for all VIVE apps and games.

Can´t wait to try it out tonight!

suWI6Q1.png

kinggroin

Banned
is there a good guide to getting things set up?

First thing first, go to http://buildbot.libretro.com/stable/1.3.4/windows/x86/RetroArch.7z and download that file. Extract somewhere you'll remember along with a folder that contains your Mame, SNES, Genesis, Gameboy Roms.

The rest is super easy. This whole thing is just a fancy front-end for retroarch.

Launch new retro arcade WITHOUT steam VR running. Select, "Launch Configuration Tool" (last option). Click the configure icon at top when the main splash screen/menu appears on the desktop (looks like a hammer and toolbox).

From there you select any of the cabinets, cartridges, posters, cassette tapes...anything that's moddable, from the left hand side expandable list.

So let's say you click to edit a cartridge (the first choice in the list is the default SNES cartridge, and it's called "Frogger"). On the right, you select the path to the ROM (it can be any ROM that's not zipped), next you select the libretro core (from where you extracted the retroarch files; navigate to the cores folder and select the snes9x libretro core). Then you can optionally select the cartridge art (.dds format).

That's it. Voila.

Go in-game (you can launch it in VR now) to that cartridge you edited, make sure it's inserted in the SNES. When you interact with the SNES, your controllers vanish and the TV turns on.

Use the touch pads on the Vive wands to handle dpad (left wand) and buttons (right wand). The options buttons above the right touch pad is your start buttons. On the left wand, it's select.

Hope this help!

FYI, full version of this will give us more control options and such. But I was able to beat the first level of contra III this way.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
awesome, will give it a go - thanks.

Going to dry run it outside of VR first to check everything is working. is it walking with the trackpad or teleportation?

edit: No cores folder in that linked archive?
edit2: ok you have to run retroarch and download the cores from there first..

Finally got around to printing out a cable belt clip. Had been just looping the cable through a belt loop up to this point. While that works to eliminate 99% of the pull on the headset, it offsets the cable to the side, and keeps the cable from sitting completely flat on the head strap. Always wants to twist a bit. With the clip, there's zero pull, is perfectly centered, and the cable lays flat. It's somewhat baffling they never included something like that to begin with. Makes the cord handling experience so much better.

Just ordered one of these to be made today. Thanks.

Anybody have any other Vive accessory recommendations?

Zalusithix

I don't think there are any accessories from regular companies. Everything I've seen has been fan made. Controller holsters, headset storage devices, linkbox mounts, lighthouse adapters, makeshift two handed rifle props, etc.

I plan on eventually making a set of the magnetic micro USB charging docks for the controllers. I wasn't aware they even had such cables before I saw the design. Effectively makes the controllers into a contact charging device that can just drop into place instead of having to futz with plugging the micro USB in each time.

Edit: Also need to do something with headset storage, but I'm not a fan of any of the current designs. I wish HTC/Valve would release some STLs of the actual headset to make creating things around it easier.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Looks like someone has discovered a global super sampling setting for SteamVR.

You edit steamvr.settings in your steam/config folder and add this under the "steamvr :" section:
"renderTargetMultiplier": 2,

Just change the number to whatever your gpu can handle.

I'm going to test it in a few minutes. I'm wondering how my 1080 will handle it.

Fantastic news. This should be really helpful for looking ahead in racing games. (worth turning down other effects for)

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
No xbox pad support? That is disappointing. No way am I playing any arcade games with the trackpads.

It was working fine with the steam controller so I assume the xbox pad will work fine. Here is the trick though - you gain focus of the machines/consoles by grabbing it with your Vive controllers - after that you HAVE to keep the Vive controller really close by otherwise it loses focus and thinks you left the machine. I was able to gain focus, set my vive controllers in my lap and play with the steam controller.

They just need a better way to "lock on" to the machine but I'd assume the xbox controller is fine.

It's my own fault, but I was doing my naive wishful thinking around this title and ended up depressed when seeing that they changed all the original arcade games :(

Since they put it on Steam they had to change the base cabinets to not be copyrighted material. You can add in any emulator/rom/art/etc to any cabinet or console cartridge you wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom