• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

jotun?

Battle Dome is a ton of fun, aside from the abysmal level design

Also not a huge fan of the whole paint thing. I feel like it makes it way too hard to make any progress against a team that already has map control. You have to go out there with a shitty pistol if you want to paint anything, while the team who already has paint everywhere tears you to shreds with machine guns and laser rifles from high ground

Paganmoon

just played 40 minutes of Vanishing Realms, pretty damned cool, really looking forward to more of this. I mean, there's tons of room for improvement, but it's still very fun.

Helznicht

FUCK YES!!! No Limit Coasters 2 was updated to work with OpenVR! I can't wait to get home and get back to riding my coasters in VR. Oh happy dayyy!

Sweet. Do you know if the Demo has updated Vive support also. Definitely want to try before buy, to see how VR is implemented.

Sweet. Do you know if the Demo has updated Vive support also. Definitely want to try before buy, to see how VR is implemented.

It's implemented pretty well. You use kbm to navigate the menus, and if you sit down it places you in the roller coaster at a natural position and takes you for a ride. I'm still tweaking some of the gfx options to keep it from dropping into reprojection at the most intense areas, but it works pretty much as you'd expect a roller coaster simulator to work.

Paganmoon

Yeah I can't wait till it's a full game.

Hope they take their time to make it good :) Man, I get so into the sword play that I've caught myself bashing my shield a few times when going into fights haha.

Tested some Solus Poject real quick, set artificial locomotion to 20% and it worked ok, set rendering to 140%, and enabled AA, but still the IQ is bad with shimmering everywhere. Couldn't play more than 10 minutes before my eyes got really tired unfortunately. Not planing on doing a refund though, as I'll just wait for more VR updates in the future.

The locomotion in the Solus Project though, made me really want artificial locomotion in Vanishing realms as well, not in the fights, but when exploring.

jaypah

Sorry, I don't have any info on the demo. I blind purchased it when I first got my DK2. As for the implementation it's quite nice so long as you don't mind having to use KB/M to select coasters.

thematic

any Vive games I should buy now? preferably one with big discount due to Summer Sales.

I really want AudioShield but the discount "only" 20% (the same amount before Summer Sales)

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Just got back from trying VR for the first time, but it was PSVR. All it did was make me want room scale. I felt constricted while sitting down. I played EVE, and that game just felt extremely bland to me. They couldn't get the motion controls to work, so when I tried the heist the hands were just stuck. I might wait until the 2nd gen of Vive but I feel like a sitting experience isn't enough for me.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Just got back from trying VR for the first time, but it was PSVR. All it did was make me want room scale. I felt constricted while sitting down. I played EVE, and that game just felt extremely bland to me. They couldn't get the motion controls to work, so when I tried the heist the hands were just stuck. I might wait until the 2nd gen of Vive but I feel like a sitting experience isn't enough for me.

its all about room scale makes a world of difference for immersion

Glass

Are Vives being sent out in the UK now? The site says dispatch is 2-3 days, having a LAN in a week and a halfs time, would be very tempted to get one if these are being sent out in time.

Zalusithix

Not sure what it is with those PSVR demos seemingly more often than not being unable able to get the motion controls working. At least going by comments I've seen by people going to these events.

It's a shame because tracked controllers add a whole different dimension to the VR experience. It's not that standard sit down experiences are bad, but they're very much an extension of what we've already been doing for decades. Do what you did before, but this time in VR! Sometimes the VR headset adds little to the experience. Sometimes it adds a lot. Doesn't really change the fact that it's stuff that you were doing before.

When you can start manipulating things with your hands in a (mostly) natural fashion, however, it opens up possibilities that simply didn't exist before. The interaction paradigm changes. I can't say the abstraction layer is completely gone. You still have a tool in your hand after all, but it's enough that you feel much more a part of the world that you're seeing. 360 degree and room scale capabilities just enhance everything further.

Glass

They have them in stock at regular stores now so I would imagine they aren't backed up at all.

That's great to hear. I've now run the Steam Performance VR test, and it says my system is all good to go, even though I still only have a i5 2500k CPU (with a 980ti) . Is the CPU really good enough?

cheezcake

That's great to hear. I've now run the Steam Performance VR test, and it says my system is all good to go, even though I still only have a i5 2500k CPU (with a 980ti) . Is the CPU really good enough?

As long as you've OCed it, my 2500k @4Ghz runs everything fine

Enk

makes good threads.

I think you should be fine. I have an i5 2500k with a 980 and have been able to run pretty much everything on my Rift just fine, and this is with my cpu not being overclocked.

I have an i5 2500k at stock and it runs everything more or less flawlessly. I'm too lazy to overclock it.

Keep in mind that new i5's are only like 12% difference in speed. We haven't exactly had quantum leaps in processing on these things since then.

thematic

bought! but I'll have to wait until next week to play it :(

Btw,
do I need to update Vive's firmware?
so far I don't experience anything "game breaker"
(though to be fair I only tried SteamVR Tutorial)

I'm afraid when doing the update, it will fail and break the device

Okada

Are Vives being sent out in the UK now? The site says dispatch is 2-3 days, having a LAN in a week and a halfs time, would be very tempted to get one if these are being sent out in time.

I ordered one from PC World the other day and it arrived within a week. Cheaper than importing it too.

Paganmoon

Not sure what it is with those PSVR demos seemingly more often than not being unable able to get the motion controls working. At least going by comments I've seen by people going to these events.

If I'd venture a guess it would be cause of poor lighting conditions in demo locations.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Battle Dome is a ton of fun, aside from the abysmal level design

Also not a huge fan of the whole paint thing. I feel like it makes it way too hard to make any progress against a team that already has map control. You have to go out there with a shitty pistol if you want to paint anything, while the team who already has paint everywhere tears you to shreds with machine guns and laser rifles from high ground

I'm having a tough time getting into it. I knew what I was getting in for (1 person development, bad level design, fugly early access modeling, etc) but so far the game play just isn't that fun. I'll give it a few more games and see if anything clicks for me.

Glass

Thanks for the feedback regarding my CPU guys, I just bought my Vive as a result.

I ordered one from PC World the other day and it arrived within a week. Cheaper than importing it too.

Didn't even think to check somewhere like PC World. They actually let you pay in instalments over 6 months, which I think would be a huge help for a lot of people in making this affordable.

Zalusithix

If I'd venture a guess it would be cause of poor lighting conditions in demo locations.

I'd expect lighting issues that bad to impact the headset tracking too though. It's not like the Move's ball is some small light source. I guess the headset's LEDs might be brighter, or the pattern gives it more resilience to error. Alternatively the colors that the Moves have to use might be more error prone.

Regardless of the reason, it's really unfortunate. It's disappointing enough that Sony is reusing the old Move controllers instead of making new ones more suited for VR, but not being able to even get them working in demos is worse. Certainly isn't doing initial VR impressions any favors. Both in the sense that people can't experience 1:1 tracked controllers in VR, and in the sense that it makes the hardware look unreliable. (Not that the Vive controllers are immune to issues.)

Gurrry

I tried VR for the first time yesterday (PSVR at Best Buy) and it was completely mind blowing. I cant believe how amazing it was. I am so tempted to just get an HTC Vive now.

I was wondering though, to anyone who has tried both the HTC and the PSVR. Is the HTC resolution better? The PSVR wasnt bad by any means, but I did notice a little blurriness so I was hoping that HTC has a slightly better screen.

I'm still on the fence about buying it. I really want to but it's a lot of money. To Vive owners, are you satisfied with your purchase? Would you recommend it?

I'm thinking about going PSVR this year and wait for Gen2 Vive but I don't know. Help me Gaf.

Paganmoon

I tried VR for the first time yesterday (PSVR at Best Buy) and it was completely mind blowing. I cant believe how amazing it was. I am so tempted to just get an HTC Vive now.

I was wondering though, to anyone who has tried both the HTC and the PSVR. Is the HTC resolution better? The PSVR wasnt bad by any means, but I did notice a little blurriness so I was hoping that HTC has a slightly better screen.

The screen itself is good, but there's a pretty small sweetspot, if you don't align the headset correctly it's going to be somewhat blurry. Another thing about the Vive, it's nowhere near as ergonomic as the PSVR, that's one major point HTC needs to fix for their Gen2 device.

I'm still on the fence about buying it. I really want to but it's a lot of money. To Vive owners, are you satisfied with your purchase? Would you recommend it?

I'm thinking about going PSVR this year and wait for Gen2 Vive but I don't know. Help me Gaf.

This is to both of you. This is a very new platform, if you're on the fence, and think it might be too expensive, I'd advice against buying a Vive. I'm loving my purchase, but I can see it not being for everyone, it's early, games and experiences are still being developed, so very few full games out there.
If you aren't used to being early adopters, or are not "gadget geeks" (is gadget geek a word in English? Prylnörd in Swedish), you might regret the purchase, and it in turn might even sour you to future VR investments.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Gadget geek is an understandable term :)

VR right now is something you need to buy into for the journey more than the destination. If you want to be in at the start to see which ideas work and which don't; if you want to be abel to look back in 10-20 years and go 'wow remember when VR was like that'

Gurrry

The screen itself is good, but there's a pretty small sweetspot, if you don't align the headset correctly it's going to be somewhat blurry. Another thing about the Vive, it's nowhere near as ergonomic as the PSVR, that's one major point HTC needs to fix for their Gen2 device.

This is to both of you. This is a very new platform, if you're on the fence, and think it might be too expensive, I'd advice against buying a Vive. I'm loving my purchase, but I can see it not being for everyone, it's early, games and experiences are still being developed, so very few full games out there.
If you aren't used to being early adopters, or are not "gadget geeks" (is gadget geek a word in English? Prylnörd in Swedish), you might regret the purchase, and it in turn might even sour you to future VR investments.

Thank you for the advice and response. I am used to being an early adopter, and after yesterday, I am clamoring for more VR, regardless of how small the experiences might be. The 800 dollar price tag is what is keeping me from pulling the trigger.

I know that room scale VR is what I want. So if I decide to go in on the VR future, Im going to go all the way in.

However, if I can get away with waiting a few months for a sale (lol, yeah right) or news about Gen2, I might hold off. But after demoing the PSVR yesterday, it completely sold me. This is absolutely the future.

I dont think VR is going to completely replace traditional gaming entirely, but it has the potential to be 1b to traditional gaming's 1a.

Zalusithix

OK, just tested out this week's H3VR update, and I have to say the new slide motion (non teleport) combined with gaze based nodes might actually be a workable option. Takes one button and gives you freedom to move in a different direction than where you're looking or aiming. Right now the implementation is as alpha as everything else in H3VR, but it gives a decent peek into what might be feasible.

Ideally a system using it would auto generate the destination nodes around you instead of having hand placed targets. Basically you'd hold the button down, and the nodes would generate in an arc around you a certain distance away (only at at viable locations). Look at the node and either have a timer count down like now (preferably adjustable) or have it activate the node you're looking at when you release the button. Then you begin movement to the node independently of where you look. Add in a double click to halt movement. Could also have time slow down or freeze during node selection in a FPS type game. Movement speed dynamically adjusting to whether you're standing or squatting is a pretty neat idea too.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I can't run Oculus Home games on my Vive.
I downloaded Home and Revive. When I launch Revive, nothing happens. Nada. What am I missing?

magnumpy

it should be mentioned that there are many competing, cheaper alternatives to Vive. Oculus Rift, PSVR, Gear VR, etc. are all VR headsets that are cheaper than Vive.

Tain

Thank you for the advice and response. I am used to being an early adopter, and after yesterday, I am clamoring for more VR, regardless of how small the experiences might be. The 800 dollar price tag is what is keeping me from pulling the trigger.

I know that room scale VR is what I want. So if I decide to go in on the VR future, Im going to go all the way in.

However, if I can get away with waiting a few months for a sale (lol, yeah right) or news about Gen2, I might hold off. But after demoing the PSVR yesterday, it completely sold me. This is absolutely the future.

I dont think VR is going to completely replace traditional gaming entirely, but it has the potential to be 1b to traditional gaming's 1a.

If you need something right-now right-now, you could take the risk on the Rift and get the Touch down the line to play room-scale SteamVR games.

But I figure if you're fine spending $600 right now, you might be fine just going all in right now with $800.

And yes, both Vive and Rift have a notably better resolution than PSVR. There are some downsides (I feel like the screen door effect is slightly more noticable on Vive than PSVR, maybe, and both Rift and Vive have god rays/rings in black backgrounds with bright elements), but overall they have a better image. And did you play Battlezone in PSVR? Because as cool as that is, most VR games on a powerful computer are going to feel smoother than that.

Gurrry

If you need something right-now right-now, you could take the risk on the Rift and get the Touch down the line to play room-scale SteamVR games.

But I figure if you're fine spending $600 right now, you might be fine just going all in right now with $800.

And yes, both Vive and Rift have a notably better resolution than PSVR. There are some downsides (I feel like the screen door effect is slightly more noticable on Vive than PSVR, maybe, and both Rift and Vive have god rays/rings in black backgrounds with bright elements), but overall they have a better image. And did you play Battlezone in PSVR? Because as cool as that is, most VR games on a powerful computer are going to feel smoother than that.

I did the eve valkerie demo, I didnt see Battlezone on the list of games that she handed me prior to starting the demo. I am tempted to go back and do it again, it was that awesome.

I just bought a new PC at the beginning of this year that is VR ready. Now I just need to fully commit and get the headset. And yeah, if im going to get the Rift.. i might as well just get the Vive. 200 more isnt a big deal when it comes down to spending this much money on something.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I can't run Oculus Home games on my Vive.
I downloaded Home and Revive. When I launch Revive, nothing happens. Nada. What am I missing?

There should be a revive circle in steamVR next to the steam and desktop circles, at the bottom of the steamVR window.

If not, try running revive again directly from its install folder and restarting steamVR

Zalusithix

For shits and giggles I decided to try a bit of TMS#FE on the Vive via Virtual Desktop. Emulating a console virtual cinema if you will. (Mind you, there'd be no way to actually play the game like that given the need for the tablet.) Lens and resolution issues aside, the low framerate is waaay more noticeable in VR. Low persistence screens might be great for VR updating at 90fps, but they magnify the shoddy framerates of the console.

I wonder how PSVR is going to deal with that issue considering they're selling it partially on the virtual cinema mode for existing games.

Cartman86

Banned
For shits and giggles I decided to try a bit of TMS#FE on the Vive via Virtual Desktop. Emulating a console virtual cinema if you will. (Mind you, there'd be no way to actually play the game like that given the need for the tablet.) Lens and resolution issues aside, the low framerate is waaay more noticeable in VR. Low persistence screens might be great for VR updating at 90fps, but they magnify the shoddy framerates of the console.

I wonder how PSVR is going to deal with that issue considering they're selling it partially on the virtual cinema mode for existing games.

Yeah this is incredibly notice in VR video too. Even 60fps stuff. I find it unwatchable because of it. I'm guessing it's also an issue due to how 90hz specifically translate other framerates and how there is probably sweet spots?

Someone has offered a part exchange of cash and their Rift for my Vive. I'm torn on what to do. I hate Facebook and the recent practices of Oculus, but I am less interested in room scale than I thought I would be, I'm just too tired after working two jobs to be bothered with it. I haven't used my Vive in two weeks (maybe longer) and i would be buying the touch controllers anyway so the option is always there. It would be nice to experience both headsets and considering this is gen 1 this is the time to experiment I guess. Also, the amount of exclusives the Rift has is also tempting. I just don't want to regret it in the future, but I could always sell the Rift and get the Vive again.

I just don't know what to do.

Anybody here who owns both have unbiased opinions on the headset picture quality of the Rift compared to the Vive?

Helznicht

Someone has offered a part exchange of cash and their Rift for my Vive. I'm torn on what to do. I hate Facebook and the recent practices of Oculus, but I am less interested in room scale than I thought I would be, I'm just too tired after working two jobs to be bothered with it. I haven't used my Vive in two weeks (maybe longer) and i would be buying the touch controllers anyway so the option is always there. It would be nice to experience both headsets and considering this is gen 1 this is the time to experiment I guess. Also, the amount of exclusives the Rift has is also tempting. I just don't want to regret it in the future, but I could always sell the Rift and get the Vive again.

I just don't know what to do.

Anybody here who owns both have unbiased opinions on the headset picture quality of the Rift compared to the Vive?

You can play seated with the Vive. You can play most Oculus games now with the Vive. Those are not very good reasons IMO. But if you just want to see how much you would like the other headset.compared to the Vive, I say go for it, if you got the cash to revert.

For me, the ATW that Oculus runs on the rift has me thinking about it too. I have read several hands on that games just run smoother on the Rift thanks to the time warp. From looking at all the vid cards reviews, its looking like a 1080 will be the way to go to get PCars and Elite Dangerous looking the way I want it to on the Vive. Performance of both these games seems to be much better on the Rift. So trading out for the vive for the rift could save me quite a bit on the vid card side.

I wont do it until the Touch controllers are out with reviews though, I gotta have my roomscale.

RedFox85

Sat down to demo the PSVR at best buy today and all I can say is the headset is INFINITELY more comfortable than the HTC vive. I was honestly very impressed with the device and when you consider it is only half the cost of the Vive it makes a very good value proposition. Played a little bit of eve valkyrie and I think I just may have to pick that one up now as I really enjoyed it.

It was kind of odd however as the demo attendant said he was not allowed to let anyone play London: The Heist because best buy forbade him to do so.. something about it being too violent. I found this kind of funny because as I said to him we were literally 10 feet from a screen playing call of duty adverts on repeat.. with dudes getting blown up and shot etc etc. As for the headset itself the experience wasnt 1:1 with the vive, I can't really articulate just WHY but something about it didn't seem as strong like.. maybe the 3D wasn't as good or I Just wasn't feeling as much "presence" as I do with the vive but it was something.

As I said earlier in the post I was still really impressed with the device, I am not trying to say its "HTC VIVE OR NOTHING" just that there is a noticible difference between the two. Anyone considering a PSVR as their entry point should rest easy, I think this thing is totally the real deal and it doesn't feel at all like a "cheap" alternative. I am really excited to see the behemoth that is Sony behind VR in general because I think it can only help to drive things forward for everyone.

As for anyone on the fence about pulling the trigger on the 800$ vive headset I can honestly say as someone who has had theirs since April you might be better off waiting. I am similar to allot of you in that I am pretty impatient and when I get an idea in my head that I want something I will obsess over it until I have it. The games on this thing right now just aren't mature enough to create a compelling argument for the cost. The most fun I have had with the Vive was demoing it to other people and blowing their minds but truthfully that can only get you so far.. the thing has seriously started to sit on my desk and I have gradually gone back to more traditional means of gaming. I love VR as much as the next guy but I think I have finally hit that point where I partially regret the purchase and I would hate to see other like minded people make a similar mistake.

There is nothing wrong with waiting for the platform to mature.. but I totally understand if like me you just can't wait to get your hands on it. Just don't be too shocked if within a month or two you are feeling this same feeling.

but I am less interested in room scale than I thought I would be, I'm just too tired after working two jobs to be bothered with it. I haven't used my Vive in two weeks (maybe longer) and i would be buying the touch controllers anyway

I'm with you, I know some people out there are using it as much as they can but I would not recommend VR at least Vive for people who have to multi-task jobs and families I just came back from two weeks on holiday and if someone had asked me six months ago what the first thing I would do would be, I would swear that my future self would be taking the first available quiet hour to catch up on VR new titles and updates. But, there it sits, untouched. I've got other shit to do and lower intensity easier to enter and exit game experiences just fit better with that on a day to day basis.
Even my kids who have been shown everything there is available, have not asked anything beyond one faint request of "can we show our friend, who is coming over tonight, what VR looks like?". At this point I feel rather like I've bought a pool table or gravity boots or a complete home gym as seen on TV.
Still holding out for that to slowly change with new software, so, YMMV. and mine too. I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom