• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Banned
Sat down to demo the PSVR at best buy today and all I can say is the headset is INFINITELY more comfortable than the HTC vive. I was honestly very impressed with the device and when you consider it is only half the cost of the Vive it makes a very good value proposition

It's not really half the price if you include the camera and controllers. It's also less capable and worse at most things other than comfort.

Trouble

Banned
Anyone experience their lighthouses losing sync after 20-30 minutes in game? Seems to be happening with increasing frequency for me. :(

thematic

For a firmware update? You should be fine, you're supposed to update the firmware and I've done it multiple times. Just make sure you don't unplug anything during the update.

a few weeks back, some users reported their Vive failed to update and they need to RMA back to HTC.

RMA isn't an option for me because I use a forwarder to ship this item. that's why I prefer don't update if possible

Zalusithix

a few weeks back, some users reported their Vive failed to update and they need to RMA back to HTC.

RMA isn't an option for me because I use a forwarder to ship this item. that's why I prefer don't update if possible

The errors were the exception, not the rule for that update, and there was a subsequent update that supposedly fixed whatever was causing that problem. If in doubt, use a USB 2 port to do firmware updates.

thematic

The errors were the exception, not the rule for that update, and there was a subsequent update that supposedly fixed whatever was causing that problem. If in doubt, use a USB 2 port to do firmware updates.

Thanks, maybe I'll update later today
how often did they update the firmware?

Paganmoon

Anyone experience their lighthouses losing sync after 20-30 minutes in game? Seems to be happening with increasing frequency for me. :(

used to have that (after about 10 minutes though), read some reports that it had to do with the phone app and Bluetooth, so when I re-installed my machine recently, I didn't bother installing the phone app, not had an issue with the lighthouses since.

Trouble

Banned
used to have that (after about 10 minutes though), read some reports that it had to do with the phone app and Bluetooth, so when I re-installed my machine recently, I didn't bother installing the phone app, not had an issue with the lighthouses since.

Interesting. I did just reinstall the Vive app and pair up my phone the other day, hoping maybe it wasn't still total garbage (spoiler: still garbage). Gonna uninstall that and see if it helps.

Edit: Didn't help, giving up for the night. :(

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
There should be a revive circle in steamVR next to the steam and desktop circles, at the bottom of the steamVR window.

If not, try running revive again directly from its install folder and restarting steamVR
Thanks I'll try it tonight. Do I need to click on the circle and do something? Patch games?

Radnom

I've had something similar, it doesn't appear to happen with any frequency I can time but after a while of playing I'll go a couple metres underground. Looking around, the sensors are still in the right places relative to me, but for some reason I'm placed under the ground. Seems to happen in every game.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Thanks I'll try it tonight. Do I need to click on the circle and do something? Patch games?

no, when you click on that circle you get a list of the oculus home games you have installed and you can launch them directly from there. Its like having a little oculus tab in steamVR :)

bomblord1

Banned
Does anyone else have issues getting the Vive's front facing camera to show up in the SteamVR settings? It keeps saying it can't detect it over the USB port

SomTervo

Cross post from the '60 days later' thread:

Got my HTC Vive on Friday.

Set it up on Saturday.

Blew my parents' minds, my mind, my girlfriend's mind, the minds of my close friends.

Played it more Sunday. Have about 25 games. 22 of which are very short, inch-deep experiences – but even inch-deep experiences are completely incredible. Standing at the bottom of an ocean for real. Standing inside the fucking Millenium Falcon at full, real-life size. Actually using guns, not just shooting them - releasing mags, loading new ones, cocking the weapon.

A few slightly deeper experiences will keep me coming back. Wildlands is a legit good platformer, I've loved working out how to basically web-sling through certain tough puzzles. Hover Junkers seems like it could be a really great multiplayer game - not great IQ, though.

Holopoint the arrow shooting game is badass, keeps you moving. VR zGame is brilliant even though it's barely complete - just shooting at and escaping zombies is so much more compelling in VR. I'm looking forward to trying more songs in Audioshield. I haven't finished Vanishing Realms yet. Out of Ammo seems brilliant. A friend gifted me TableTop Simulator and Battle Dome, the latter of which I'm really looking forward to trying. Then if I want to go seated I can play Elite: Dangerous and Project Cars.

It's a new frontier. Even at this bleeding-edge early adoption phase, it is fucking brilliant.

Note: I'm also helping out with The Solus Project IRL, so it'll be good to be able to test that. My GF played it a bit and said it was decent but a bit involved for our short timespan.

Does anyone else have issues getting the Vive's front facing camera to show up in the SteamVR settings? It keeps saying it can't detect it over the USB port

Using HDMI or DisplayPort? I've heard HDMI is better so it could be to do with that? Unless the camera is all-USB.

bomblord1

Banned
Cross post from the '60 days later' thread:

Got my HTC Vive on Friday.

Set it up on Saturday.

Blew my parents' minds, my mind, my girlfriend's mind, the minds of my close friends.

Played it more Sunday. Have about 25 games. 22 of which are very short, inch-deep experiences – but even inch-deep experiences are completely incredible. Standing at the bottom of an ocean for real. Standing inside the fucking Millenium Falcon at full, real-life size. Actually using guns, not just shooting them - releasing mags, loading new ones, cocking the weapon.

A few slightly deeper experiences will keep me coming back. Wildlands is a legit good platformer, I've loved working out how to basically web-sling through certain tough puzzles. Hover Junkers seems like it could be a really great multiplayer game - not great IQ, though.

Holopoint the arrow shooting game is badass, keeps you moving. VR zGame is brilliant even though it's barely complete - just shooting at and escaping zombies is so much more compelling in VR. I'm looking forward to trying more songs in Audioshield. I haven't finished Vanishing Realms yet. Out of Ammo seems brilliant. A friend gifted me TableTop Simulator and Battle Dome, the latter of which I'm really looking forward to trying. Then if I want to go seated I can play Elite: Dangerous and Project Cars.

It's a new frontier. Even at this bleeding-edge early adoption phase, it is fucking brilliant.

Note: I'm also helping out with The Solus Project IRL, so it'll be good to be able to test that. My GF played it a bit and said it was decent but a bit involved for our short timespan.

Using HDMI or DisplayPort? I've heard HDMI is better so it could be to do with that? Unless the camera is all-USB.

Camera is USB but the video in and out is going to HDMI as far as it goes.

tokkun

I've never gotten mine to work. Apparently it is very picky about what USB ports it will work with. People will tell you to try different USB ports, reduce the framerate, or even buy a separate USB card. Pretty disappointing for a heavily marketed feature.

I'm planning on doing a rebuild of my PC soon anyway, so we will see if a new USB controller and a clean reinstall of the OS and Vive software will make it function.

bomblord1

Banned
I've never gotten mine to work. Apparently it is very picky about what USB ports it will work with. People will tell you to try different USB ports, reduce the framerate, or even buy a separate USB card. Pretty disappointing for a heavily marketed feature.

I'm planning on doing a rebuild of my PC soon anyway, so we will see if a new USB controller and a clean reinstall of the OS and Vive software will make it function.

Hmm well I've put an issue in with support we'll see if it goes anywhere.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Looks like someone has discovered a global super sampling setting for SteamVR.

You edit steamvr.settings in your steam/config folder and add this under the "steamvr :" section:
"renderTargetMultiplier": 2,

Just change the number to whatever your gpu can handle.

I'm going to test it in a few minutes. I'm wondering how my 1080 will handle it.

Durante

You edit steamvr.settings in your steam/config folder and add this under the "steamvr :" section:

I'm going to test it in a few minutes. I'm wondering how my 1080 will handle it.
Awesome! That saves me quite a bit of implementation work if true.

Someone should test it, I'm away from my Vive all week :/

Oh lord, i so hope this is true.

Perhaps this will fix the blurryness with Elite

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
It's not really half the price if you include the camera and controllers. It's also less capable and worse at most things other than comfort.

Yeah the inability to turn around with your controllers means its not even in the same league as the Vive.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
So now that Oculus has removed the DRM check I might pick up one or two of their exclusives while on sale. Revive is easy to use?

Yes. It is even easier now that it actually integrates in with your VR library in Steam.

Is it possible to get Lucky's Tale working on VIve?

It works fine with Revive. https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive

edit:
Awesome! That saves me quite a bit of implementation work if true.

Someone should test it, I'm away from my Vive all week :/

I don't have a lot of time to test this right now but off of a quick test, it absolutely works. I'll give it a thorough test when I get done working. Hopefully a few others will beat me to it.

Zalusithix

Can you set it to something like 1.5 ?

It should, but I'm not sure how it is working. If it is multiplying the default render target (1.4x panel res), a value of 1.5 would be a 50% increase in horizontal/vertical resolution. If it is multiplying the actual panel resolution, however, a 1.5 would be barely perceptible over the 1.4 default. I'm not at home to test anything, so I'll leave that to others.

Durante

Super sampling would be sweet. What do you guys think would be a good number for a 980ti?
That depends entirely on the individual game in question.

(And also on whether this multiplier applies to the number of pixels or the edge length. This would be easy to check by writing an application which queries the default render target size from the OpenVR API -- it should be a 5 liner)

Evo X

Oh, that supersampling discovery is exciting. :)

Eagerly waiting for impressions. IQ is my biggest complaint while playing VR games right now.

Hmm well I've put an issue in with support we'll see if it goes anywhere.

If you've checked the drivers and the camera is in fact detected then I would try reducing the frame rate from 60 to 30 as there is nearly no observable difference between the two. If that doesn't work I would try a different port and do a clean install of the drivers (after removing the usb drivers). Else I would look into buying an USB PCI expansion card with 2.0 slots.

Oh lord, i so hope this is true.

Perhaps this will fix the blurryness with Elite

Ayy tis true.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4q3aa9/psa_supersampling_on_the_htc_vive_has_arrived/

Is it possible to get Lucky's Tale working on VIve?

Every free experience from the Oculus store I've downloaded works flawlessly on Revive. I'm also under the impression that pretty much all of the paid games work flawlessly as well. The Revive dev updates the application weekly, if not daily, and its such an amazing little application.

And this rumor is back.

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/wearables/40985-htc-will-spin-off-vr-arm

bomblord1

Banned
If you've checked the drivers and the camera is in fact detected then I would try reducing the frame rate from 60 to 30 as there is nearly no observable difference between the two. If that doesn't work I would try a different port and do a clean install of the drivers (after removing the usb drivers). Else I would look into buying an USB PCI expansion card with 2.0 slots.

My mobo only has 1 PCI-E port and that has my GPU in it. I thought 3+ was absolutely required because of the bandwidth needed how would downgrading to a 2.0 port help?

Finally what do you mean "reducing the frame rate" if there's a setting under camera I can't get to it as it's literally just a red X saying camera not detected with no options.

bomblord1

Banned
I'd like to know as well, for Virtual Desktop. Watching movies should look better now, shouldn't it?

No? Movies already have a set resolution supersampling them higher than that and then scaling them back down shouldn't do anything to make them look better. This would only effect rendered elements.

Durante

No? Movies already have a set resolution supersampling them higher than that and then scaling them back down shouldn't do anything to make them look better. This would only effect rendered elements.
That's not necessarily 100% true.

It won't be a huge difference, but supersampling the virtual screen to a higher extent could improve the quality and stability of the mapping from movie pixels to physical HMD pixels.

My mobo only has 1 PCI-E port and that has my GPU in it. I thought 3+ was absolutely required because of the bandwidth needed how would downgrading to a 2.0 port help?

Finally what do you mean "reducing the frame rate" if there's a setting under camera I can't get to it as it's literally just a red X saying camera not detected with no options.

If the camera is detected you should have the option to change the frame rate from 60 to 30. B
Did the camera ever work? If not, then this is seemingly a USB and device driver issue. I would check for any hardware issues under Device Manager. And while this does sound like a pain in the ass I would completely remove all of the USB drivers in SteamVR and SteamVR itself, and perform a complete reinstall of the Vive headset

"renderTargetMultiplier": 1.5

Dreams-Visions approved for Elite Dangerous @ 980Ti
3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif

Throw on some FXAA or SMAA for good measure. I am now happy. Still not a fix, as I doubt any GPU weaker than a 980Ti (that means most fuckin GPUs) can't use this steamVR supersampling multipler at all for ED. Just not enough power. For the 980Ti, I tried a 2.0 setting just to see what would happen and ED ends up running at like 30fps, well below the 44.7fps or whatever it needs for reprojection.

IF you have a 980Ti/1070/1080 or AMD equivalent change this setting ASAP. If you don't have one of those caliber of GPUs, just ignore this conversation entirely. As far as Elite Dangerous goes, that is. For most other VR games, weaker GPUs can probably use the 2.0 setting just fine.

Zalusithix

"renderTargetMultiplier": 1.5

Dreams-Visions approved for Elite Dangerous @ 980Ti
3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif

Throw on some FXAA or SMAA for good measure. I am now happy. Still not a fix, as I doubt any GPU weaker than a 980Ti (that means most fuckin GPUs) can't use this steamVR supersampling multipler at all for ED. Just not enough power. For the 980Ti, I tried a 2.0 setting just to see what would happen and ED ends up running at like 30fps, well below the 44.7fps or whatever it needs for reprojection.

IF you have a 980Ti/1070/1080 or AMD equivalent change this setting ASAP. If you don't have one of those caliber of GPUs, just ignore this conversation entirely. As far as Elite Dangerous goes, that is. For most other VR games, weaker GPUs can probably use the 2.0 setting just fine.
I guess the multiplier is against the default render target then. 1.5 would barely be perceptible against panel res.

What's the framerate with 2.0 on SteamVR and the game's internal supersampling set to 2.0? ;P Single digits? lol

tokkun

USB2 is an older, less demanding spec, so it may be more likely to be implemented properly.

Most motherboards also use two different chips to provide their USB connections. For instance, on my current board all of the USB3 ports are provided by a third-party ASMedia chip, whereas most of the USB2 ports come from an Intel chip. Because of variations in how they implement the USB spec, it might be that a headset that doesn't work with one chipset does work with another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom