• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

was going to order, but $17 shipped? wut.

Yeah, the service linked to from Thingiverse nails you on the shipping/startup. They're not really optimized around making a single small object. There might be better values out there, but I haven't shopped around, and would depend on where in the world it's being shipped to.

Ouside of having somebody you know make one on the cheap, also check locally for makerspaces. I know our local library has 3D printers available.

Tain

man, Vive d-pad simulation is bad news in the New Retro Arcade demo. Nice to see the game speed is proper, though. Is game sound something you can turn on?

kinggroin

Banned
I would be perfectly fine playing project cars or AC if they looked like an early model 2 arcade game, so long as I can keep super sampling way up along with my framerate.

I wish we had VR racing for VR.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Don't you have to add them yourself like always?

How are the controls? I see it uses the Vive controllers, do you just pick up a 360 pad to play the arcade games?

man, Vive d-pad simulation is bad news in the New Retro Arcade demo (with the Vive wands at least). Nice to see the game speed is proper, though. Is game sound something you can turn on?

They are calling this a tech demo, be patient.

I just tested it and the xbox 360 controller works fine. Just like I mentioned though, be very careful not to set your vive controller down too far away or it will think you left the cabinet/console.

Zalusithix

Did advanced room setup....MUCH better than the normal one, I have a L desk so I can actually not bump into the edge anymore.

I've been doing advanced from the get go. Should just be the default. Clicking around is extremely easy and works like a charm. Also, everybody should make asymmetrical chaperone bounds, even if its artificial. Makes it super easy to tell which way you're oriented in the real world without pulling up the camera feed.

SomTervo

Just picked up a new Thrustmaster HOTAS controller...

Elite proper VR here I come. Esp with cheeky supersampling on my 1080.

It was an amazing experience last night just even playing with regular res and a joypad... But now, with a proper setup... Wooh baby

I've been doing advanced from the get go. Should just be the default. Clicking around is extremely easy and works like a charm. Also, everybody should make asymmetrical chaperone bounds, even if its artificial. Makes it super easy to tell which way you're oriented in the real world without pulling up the camera feed.

Nice tip. My only concern is that I'd have to make the discrepancy large enough to notice and therefore lose crucial real-estate.

Zalusithix

Nice tip. My only concern is that I'd have to make the discrepancy large enough to notice and therefore lose crucial real-estate.

I use developer settings for chaperone. So no walls for me, and a constant dim boundary on the ground plane. Any notch with those settings is quite easy to see at a glance. You could even notch outwards into "unsafe" territory if you're not using a full room. It's not like you wouldn't know that small chunk of space is still unsafe, and it wouldn't be factored into the actual created play zone either way.

I got a s-biner for like 4 dollars at a home depot, works great

amazon has em too

71A5e8VrHIL._SL1500_.jpg

Zalusithix

I got a s-biner for like 4 dollars at a home depot, works great

amazon has em too

You'd have to zip tie the cable to one of those to be comparable as the clip serves to keep the cable in place, but also to keep the cable weight and pulling force from ever reaching the headset.

You can technically emulate it for free by just stuffing a loop of cable through a belt loop. Has its downsides, but it costs nothing, and everybody already has the materials. The clip is just an elegant solution designed specifically for the issue.

Valahart

Hey GAF! I've been having way too much trouble with HTC Support. SO annoying.

So I bought the Vive on the 16th, I can't find the bundled games Steam codes anywhere. I've checked HTC website and verified that the procedure is for them to send the codes via email after the purchase from their website.

However, I bought it straight from a retail Microsoft Store. Vive support told me the codes were supposed to be on the receipt but they weren't.

Has anyone dealt with a similar issue? If so, how did you solve it?

Paulee

I just played windland , amazing 30 min but now I feel really sick ... but it was soo awesome.
I need to get a tougher stomach

Hari Seldon

Better than war thunder or DCS?

IL-2 is probably the definitive WWII sim. War thunder is more of an arcade WWII game. I haven't played DCS so I'm not sure how it compares. I thought DCS was more of a regular sim and not a combat sim and only had a couple WWII planes.

Really? It came to £5 for me.

IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad has added Preliminary VIVE Support!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is immediately the best game currently on VR if you like realistic WWII flight sims.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/307960/

Has anyone tried it yet? I really need to get home and try this.

Wow, I need to buy this now. Been waiting for a WW2 flight sim to get support.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
IL-2 is probably the definitive WWII sim. War thunder is more of an arcade WWII game. I haven't played DCS so I'm not sure how it compares. I thought DCS was more of a regular sim and not a combat sim and only had a couple WWII planes.

DCS Is a normal sim, but of combat aircraft so it includes combat. I haven't played it but have watched a lot of videos of it. It looks very much like Su-27 flanker which I played a lot on PC about - gulp - 20 years ago!? By the same team too

TheRed

Anyone know why my gpu usage on my 1080 stays around 30-40% in Project Cars in VR, is that usage in Afterburner accurate in VR? I expected a big leap over my 970 but it's just not doing it. The card runs correctly otherwise in other games on my monitor. Been playing tons of GTA V and Battlefront in 4K and The Division at 1440p just fine at 60 fps.Also played Elite Dangerous in VR with the VR High preset and it was butter smooth.

Jimrpg

Did my monthly check on the HTC Vive price... I only have to buy in Nov/Dec as that's when I'm going back to Australia. That Australia price though... yikes. $1400 after the exchange rate... it can't come down quick enough.

Wow, renderTargetMultiplier makes the picture look so much better that it feels like you're unlocking some sort of secret sauce. Like enabling cores in a low tier CPU, or finding the mythical hidden dGPU in an Xbox One.

I just cannot believe there's no built in GUI for setting this option.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I tried 1.8 with a 980ti and it is marvelous. The Blu is way more crisper and realistic.

Besides I managed to run Oculus Home games, so good.

Only frustration I got was Dolphin VR: I spfnt an hour trying to run FZero: I couldn't go further than the memory card absence warning, and didn't see how I could enable VR. Do you have a good tutorial for this?

Anybody with a 980ti have suggested settings for Elite using the rendering modifications? Like what settings you use in game as well as the what rendering multiplier you use.

Starviper

So I guess one of my Lighthouse units must be broken? Just recently I started having tracking issues. Seems that one of the cameras when facing away from the other is unable to read my position properly anymore and I get warped all over the room or the tracking grays out. It also does not show up in the correct position in Virtual Space; completely off from it's actual location.

TheRed

So Project Cars runs at a constant 45 fps for me and is only playable with reprojection but I can still feel it's not as good. I'm on a gtx 1080...

Knch

However, I bought it straight from a retail Microsoft Store. Vive support told me the codes were supposed to be on the receipt but they weren't.

Has anyone dealt with a similar issue? If so, how did you solve it?

Bought straight from HTC myself, but if it was supposed to be on the receipt and it wasn't, maybe you should go to the store with your receipt?

asker

So I guess one of my Lighthouse units must be broken? Just recently I started having tracking issues. Seems that one of the cameras when facing away from the other is unable to read my position properly anymore and I get warped all over the room or the tracking grays out. It also does not show up in the correct position in Virtual Space; completely off from it's actual location.
Check the lighthouse. There is a good chance one your lasers died. Mine did. I had the exact same symptoms as you, and HTC replaced it.

ChIOjLWUYAAKb_I.jpg

Starviper

Check the lighthouse. There is a good chance one your lasers died. Mine did. I had the exact same symptoms as you, and HTC replaced it.

ChIOjLWUYAAKb_I.jpg

Wow, hit the nail on the head - looks like the unit I thought was bad does have a laser out.

Here's a visual example of the issue it seems to cause - I'm pointing at the units directly in my room, but on-screen one of the units is positioned way off.

1OH9oZK.png

Okada

Anyone know why my gpu usage on my 1080 stays around 30-40% in Project Cars in VR, is that usage in Afterburner accurate in VR? I expected a big leap over my 970 but it's just not doing it. The card runs correctly otherwise in other games on my monitor. Been playing tons of GTA V and Battlefront in 4K and The Division at 1440p just fine at 60 fps.Also played Elite Dangerous in VR with the VR High preset and it was butter smooth.

I'm having the same issue, it's actually making me consider doing my first Steam refund but I really don't want to.

Zalusithix

This is old news, but I just found it and it's really interesting from a geek perspective: http://doc-ok.org/?p=1478
(Lighthouse tracking internals / measurements)

First time I've seen that particular article as well. Halfway tempted to post it into the VentureBeat PS Move thread as it has explanations and visual representations of IMU drift. Granted they're positional measurements within a 3D space instead of rotational at a fixed location, but the same concept of drift applies. Also goes to show that the Vive tracking isn't perfect despite all the advances. How a few people in that thread seem to think a single optical tracking point and an IMU is all that's needed for perfect tracking makes me want to face-desk.

Then again, it's probably not worth it.

Durante

First time I've seen that particular article as well. Halfway tempted to post it into the VentureBeat PS Move thread as it has explanations and visual representations of IMU drift. Granted they're positional measurements within a 3D space instead of rotational at a fixed location, but the same concept of drift applies. Also goes to show that the Vive tracking isn't perfect despite all the advances. How a few people in that thread seem to think a single optical tracking point and an IMU is all that's needed for perfect tracking makes me want to face-desk.

Then again, it's probably not worth it.
I've more or less given up on it. The only way I get back into this argument is if someone does scientific measurements on the same level for PSV -- but that probably won't happen since if you have access to the API you are invariably NDA-bound.

thematic

does HTC sell Vive's part separately?
like the lighthouse, HMD, controller, 3in1 cable etc etc?

i wonder if next gen version will be using the same parts except the HMD (assume if they only upgrade the HMD)

Metal B

i wonder if next gen version will be using the same parts except the HMD (assume if they only upgrade the HMD)
They plan to start selling parts soon. You can already find the prices online and there sadly aren't cheap.

One of my lighthouse boxes fall with its rod on top from 2,5m on the ground. It still works, put you can hear one broken part inside of it, if you shake it a little. I'm lucky, but their is a chance, that if have ti replace it one day.

Zalusithix

They actually did sell the parts briefly through their "enterprise" site before they cut off access to it. Was halfway tempted to nab a set of the facial interfaces while it was up. I don't see the point in VR covers if I can just buy a set of completely new interfaces relatively cheaply.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This is old news, but I just found it and it's really interesting from a geek perspective: http://doc-ok.org/?p=1478
(Lighthouse tracking internals / measurements)

some questions based on that

- If each lighthouse laser is scanning at 120Hz and they can't be on at the same time, does that mean it'll take 30Hz before a complete sweep of all four lasers is completed?

- It sounds like steamVR doesn't update the position of the headset or controllers partially when it has finished just a vertical or horizontal laser sweep - only when its done both to get a full amount,and it is relying on the dead reckoning between that? If so doesn't that mean that worst case is 1/30 second between drift correction? Assuming occlusion of one lighthouse so you're relying on only one.

- The video showing the kinky line to illustrate the lighthouse drift correction is mainly looking at positional tracking. Is there any information on how rapidly the rotational information starts drifting - is it more robust than the positional tracking.

This leads me onto the move - positional tracking done with the move should be fairly decent depending on the refresh rate of the camera - I think from a dev presentation it was updating at 1/60, and it provides X&Y at the same time. So actually should be robust for positional tracking of the move controller (and headset) when not occluded.

The rotational tracking is a whole other matter. I assume the headset gets some rotational drift correction from the widely spaced LEDs but the move won't. But the move must have decent rotational tracking even when it was first used with PS3 games, because even back then it couldn't use the camera to correct for it.

So - do the vive lighthouses provide drift correction for rotation on both headset and controllers (I'm guessing yes because otherwise you wouldn't need any special layout of the photodiodes). Does PSVR provide drift correction for rotation of the headset. And if PSVR can't correct for rotational drift of move, how is that handled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom