• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

collige

Banned
how does it work, the website htc vive coming soona?

It works with Revive iirc. Either that or the site is wrong and it supports the Vive natively. Either way, I know it's possible to get it working on Vive as of right now because I remember running the demo a couple of weeks ago. It's weird.

dsk1210

this is also my biggest complaint. VERY annoying to have to constantly wipe the lenses down because they get foggy as fuck.

When I was using my dk2, I would rub a little washing up liquid on the lenses and then clean it up completely. It stopped the fogging.

Should work.

Finally got around to playing paintball in Rec Room, holy hell that was fun! A new top five experience on the Vive for sure.

Tried out those incredibly short uncorporeal videos, pretty underwhelming though I do like that method of wrapping a video capture to a model, think I first saw that done in K&L Station on the Rift. Certainly increases sense of presence of a person being there even if it's obvious that it's fudged.

SimplexPL

Probably the best Vive accessory I've bought so far. Especially as someone who's been playing a lot of sweaty games lately.

Thanks for feedback. I wear glasses, so I'm afraid that the 6mm cover will be too thin for me (glasses would touch lenses), but I noticed they just added this:
https://vrcover.com/product/htc-vive-memory-foam-pads/

This memory foam replacement for the HTC Vive is thicker than the 6mm version we offer and really comfortable. The memory foam basically hugs your face. We recommend this for sweaty and more active virtual reality experiences or for demoing your Vive experiences at shows and conventions.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I bought stands for my Vive. I'm getting annoyed with the subpar tracking. I should have bought them earlier.

I tried playing Greenwater and I can't pick stuff up from the floor because of my poorly placed lighthouses.

I bought stands for my Vive. I'm getting annoyed with the subpar tracking. I should have bought them earlier.

I tried playing Greenwater and I can't pick stuff up from the floor because of my poorly placed lighthouses.

Can you link to what stands you bought? I'm interested in getting some and i'm looking for ideas and recommendations. I'm looking to see if there's somewhere at work i can print out some designs from Thingiverse but i don't know if there will be time to arrange it before the printers are in use again.

edit: oh you mean lighthouse stands! Coffee helps me read properly! :)

I use "Floor - Ceiling Supports" like this as they can be placed nearly anywhere but they are mad expensive on Amazon US so look about for an equivalent! They are sturdy and take up almost no floorspace so they won't get knocked as easily as tripods can be. Get a couple of Clamps like this and you're golden.

kinggroin

Banned
Only works with Revive at the moment. You also need an Xbox controller.

Ha, this tech demo was trippy.

If you get your height just right, and position yourself near a model so you can freely walk around them...you kind of feel like a creepo with time manipulation powers.

Ha, this tech demo was trippy.

If you get your height just right, and position yourself near a model so you can freely walk around them...you kind of feel like a creepo with time manipulation powers.

It's weird for sure. The detail is impressive, but there's something off about them. And I don't just mean their clothes.

They need to get some better models though.

kinggroin

Banned
It's weird for sure. The detail is impressive, but there's something off about them. And I don't just mean their clothes.

They need to get some better models though.

The site indicates this particular demo lacks their super special skin shader tech. So maybe that's it.

And yeah, outside maybe the brown chick in the back and the blond up front, not really a turn on for me personally (not that I look for my kicks out of this sort of thing...just remarking).

Edit: (NSFW) Here is a Vine of a more updated demo
https://vine.co/v/O3lwwJThAa1

Just got my Vive a few days ago. Stuff's been trickling in, 1070 a day after the Vive, cleaned a room up for it the next day, VRCover coming soon, along with headphones with a detachable short cable, got an Xbox controller for PC finally for ReVive and such.

Tried out a bunch of stuff, still have a lot more to look at. In general it seems like a lot of experiences are really short and at least a little bit janky in some way, but then a lot of those are free as well. I think I'm naturally/unintentionally gravitating toward stuff that I expect to be quicker to get through so I can try something else. :p

I can't believe that "The Rose and I" once cost $5! It had nice visual and sound design but it felt like an end-of-TV-show studio bumper spread out to 5 minutes. Still cool to see, along with ABE VR and Colosse, worthwhile experiments. ABE is really cliche and seeing "yourself" is weird, Colosse has a neat style and sense of scale.

Audioshield is super jank. I mean, once you're in a song and playing it it's pretty cool, but it feels like it has 3 minute load times on every song. First time I thought something went wrong and it crashed, but just had to keep waiting. If I go to C: to navigate to my own music the whole thing becomes unresponsive, can't pick folders, can't go back. Have to force quit. I guess I'll need to put stuff in My Music, see if that works better.

The Cubicle is a really neat experience for being free. I had trouble getting it to run a couple times, both the first two times I exited out and it didn't actually quit so I kept hearing office sounds while in Vive Home. One time the controller/file sorter was completely unresponsive. But once it worked it actually gave one of the better senses of motion of all the stuff I tried. Actually, same comments for Poly Runner, minus any difficulties. Good retro look and fun to try out.

Trials on Tatooine is too brief, but hey what would you expect for a free product from Disney, just trying to deliver anything at all Star Wars-related as quickly as possible, get a lightsaber into peoples' hands and generate some buzz. :) Millenium Falcon landing over you is great stuff. I had a big problem though, when I needed to hit some buttons they were past the wall of my room! Couldn't reach them. For some reason they were positioned past the edge of the chaperone border, and even then some, just an inch too far. Not sure how I should adjust things to fix it.

Realities takes up far too much space for what it offers right now (I'm sure it's justified, I just have limited SSD space!). Some of the locations were interesting, the castle had some bad geometry and texturing issues though, probably due to long range drone-captured images. The Alcatraz cell and the cave were my favorite locations.

NVIDIA VR Funhouse was fun, though I'm not a big fan of the circus aesthetic in general. It got better the longer it went, shooting with dual pistols at glass stuff being fired out of a cannon is AWESOME. Great destructible physics shown off in general, definitely spend a long time blasting out all the wood slats in the shooting gallery. I'd make similar comments about Waltz of the Wizard which feels in kind of the same category, actually I think it's better than Funhouse, some really cool stuff there. Good demo material.

Didn't spend much time with Tabletop Simulator but it had a great sense of the table and its contents being real. I wish it had as natural an object manipulation system as some other demos, and the skybox-with-no-floor thing is really weird, but I also get that VR has been retrofitted on. I would love real rooms though, it'd complete the experience.

On the subject of retrofitted games, Euro Truck Simulator 2 looked pretty bad and had a lot of hitches (judder? dropped frames?), and I made the mistake of pressing 2 to get the outside-of-truck view which made my head swim real quick. Only thing that's done that so far. I might give it another try, might need to set rendertargetmultiplier back to 1.0 from the 1.5 I had it at for everything...

Meanwhile, Vivecraft is incredible. Maybe the best thing I've tried so far, maybe because I've already spent so much time in that world that it's like coming home for real. Interaction is so well-polished and natural, had it figured out quickly, I could play the game like that for a long time if not for being tired of standing up! UI on one hand, interact with the other, easy to teleport around...blocks so huge. Caves 2spooky.

The Lab is the other best thing, as expected. I haven't even done most of it yet. The shooting game where you're standing in the cylinder, weaving your hand around in this bullet hell...that's just nuts, and a brilliant idea, works so well. Oh wait, I remember why I stopped though...I was trying to start up the robot repair center and kept getting booted back to nothing like the game was crashing (same as these people). But I think it may have been a Windows firewall thing that was popped up on the computer afterward.

But yeah like I said initially, lots of software weirdness. Even outside of games. Had several problems already getting everything recognized and base stations woken up. Never the same problem twice, it gets pretty frustrating. I guess I just can't change Vive's USB port on the computer without reinstalling everything, tried another port and everything freaked out, "driver could not be installed," so whatever.

Anyway now I'm looking into how to play Elite Dangerous, watching tutorial videos because I've heard it's impenetrable. I assume I need to learn to play outside of VR first anyway. But there's plenty of other stuff I should try too, lots of actual games I bought during the Steam sale in anticipation of this, like Vanishing Realms and The Gallery and Cosmic Trip...

Mostly at this point I'm worried that I'm going to get robbed and not even realize it's happening. People lookin' in the windows like

0kYzXmG.png

Zalusithix

Audioshield is super jank. I mean, once you're in a song and playing it it's pretty cool, but it feels like it has 3 minute load times on every song. First time I thought something went wrong and it crashed, but just had to keep waiting. If I go to C: to navigate to my own music the whole thing becomes unresponsive, can't pick folders, can't go back. Have to force quit. I guess I'll need to put stuff in My Music, see if that works better.

Something seems wrong there. It shouldn't be anywhere near 3 minute load times. It's not instant, but it's not even 30 seconds, let alone 3 minutes. (Haven't timed it for an exact time.) It also shouldn't become unresponsive on a simple navigation to the C drive. Heck, I can hit up a networked drive mounted as a standard letter drive with no issues. The only non-responsive points come when it has to load folders with 600+ other folders in them. Even that is only like 10 seconds.

Haint

Something seems wrong there. It shouldn't be anywhere near 3 minute load times. It's not instant, but it's not even 30 seconds, let alone 3 minutes. (Haven't timed it for an exact time.) It also shouldn't become unresponsive on a simple navigation to the C drive. Heck, I can hit up a networked drive mounted as a standard letter drive with no issues. The only non-responsive points come when it has to load folders with 600+ other folders in them. Even that is only like 10 seconds.

Sounds like you probably answered your own post. He probably has a really huge music folder that's hanging the game, and 3 minutes is just hyperbole. I would agree the game is super jank and it's safe to say the developer has officially abandoned it at this point, despite needing some really basic functionality and quality of life updates since launch (nearly 4 months ago). Actually that's not entirely fair, cause abandoned suggests he was supporting it at some point. Took him almost 2 months to begrudgingly fix critical boot up and post-song crashes that were affecting a majority of players. People should really stop recommending it.

Nah I haven't even been able to point it at any music folders. I just tried 2 songs, both available on the main page or with a search.

I did say it felt like 3 minutes. I didn't time it. Maybe it was 1 minute. Still felt interminable.

As far as becoming totally unresponsive when I try to navigate the drive, yeah, it just does. I can point at all the menu options but no buttons do anything. I had found a thread with similar complaints at the time but can't find it now.

Haint

Nah I haven't even been able to point it at any music folders. I just tried 2 songs, both available on the main page or with a search.

I did say it felt like 3 minutes. I didn't time it. Maybe it was 1 minute. Still felt interminable.

As far as becoming totally unresponsive when I try to navigate the drive, yeah, it just does. I can point at all the menu options but no buttons do anything. I had found a thread with similar complaints at the time but can't find it now.

I've seen references to the game having a hard cap on the number of songs you can have in a single folder. How many are in the one you're pointing it to?

I've seen references to the game having a hard cap on the number of songs you can have in a single folder. How many are in the one you're pointing it to?

None. I choose, uh, whichever option is "navigate to my own music," and not simply choosing the My Music folder. Then at the top it says C:, where there is no music, and down the left side is a list of folder choices. I was just going to go into Documents and Settings and navigate to the desktop to play a song I have sitting there, but I can't click on anything at all once on that screen. I know I'm doing it right, I can click My Music and there's nothing there because that folder's empty, and I can back out of there just fine. Clicking the same button does nothing.

I dunno. It's probably something stupid like just needed one more restart and would work fine the next time I try it.

EDIT: Nope, still doing it. Problem happens the moment I click on any folder, actually. Before then I can still back out.

Trojan

Finally got around to trying Windlands. What a cool game, I think the art style and music are great and fit well with the gameplay. I also realized that the game def can induce some motion sickness if you're moving around quickly. I played for about 30-40 min and was generally fine but some aggressive swinging at the end made me start to feel blood rushing to my head and stopped. I'll def work my way up to proper VR legs through daily sessions.

Well, I finally decided to get some better lightstands for the Lighthouses. Previously I was using some tripods (like, for cameras) and while they worked, they weren't really tall enough, so they had to be propped up on stuff.

Got some 9ft. lightstands on the way now, so that should help tremendously, especially with tracking crouched movement. Looking forward to it -- it should be easier to set up and take down, too, since it doesn't require moving stuff around to prop stuff up on.

Durante

Audioshield loading times are in the tens of seconds for me, not minutes. The only time I ever had it load for that long was when my internet connection was broken (on songs it has to download from soundcloud) -- then it felt interminable.

Lurch666

Putting the lighthouses on top of bookcases should work, right? I'm getting my Vive soon.

Just be aware that they vibrate very slightly (rotating mirrors inside) so if you prop the backs up to get them pointing down they might slowly move and fall of a shelf.

Metal B

Putting the lighthouses on top of bookcases should work, right? I'm getting my Vive soon.
They could fall down from the vibration of the device. Better buy some cheap flexible clamp for cameras, which you can simply attach to your bookcase and move around to get the best position. I also use them for my smaller setup in my office.

Here on example for 15$:
419DbDLEyDL.jpg

It doesn't come with mounts? And if they do, they don't have clamps?

If you don't want to drill walls you'll need a tripod or floor-ceiling stand with some clamp grips. The floor ceiling stands are about £14 and much more useful for me than the tripods as they are smaller footprint and taller. Have a look at my post with links a little bit up the page.

SomTervo

Finally got around to trying our own game, The Solus Project, on the Vive and holy fuckballs. Way better than I suspected. The controls are fiddly and there are still some bugs (the team are still working on it) but the sense of place is absolutely astonishing.

llaannccee

So i just bought a Vive yay! Only went to try the store demo at pc world Leeds. But the Htc rep wasn't there. So no demo for me. Luckily they had 5 in stock. A few questions.

1) How do i get the free games? In the excitement of buying it forgot to ask about them.

2)The Vive software install is really slow been at 0% for a while. Skip this at just use steam VR?

3)Any recommendations on tripods for the base stations?

4) 1070 or 1080?

Thanks for the help. Hoping to have this setup by bedtime.

SomTervo

So i just bought a Vive yay! Only went to try the store demo at pc world Leeds. But the Htc rep wasn't there. So no demo for me. Luckily they had 5 in stock. A few questions.

1) How do i get the free games? In the excitement of buying it forgot to ask about them.

On Steam search for 'vr' in the Store search bar. Rank the search results by lowest price. Profit.

2)The Vive software install is really slow been at 0% for a while. Skip this at just use steam VR?

I think Vive needs to be installed. That's the core software IIRC. How's your internet? Pretty sure the software downloads that stuff.

3)Any recommendations on tripods for the base stations?

Not from me unfortunately. I wall mounted mine.

4) 1070 or 1080?

Thanks for the help. Hoping to have this setup by bedtime.

Well 1080 is obviously going to do you way better in VR, but 1070 is actually more value for money. If you have the funds, get a 1080, and try not to get a Founder's Edition (still a great card but more likely to overheat).

What are your specs? I've got a creeping concern here that you really don't have a PC built for this

Finally got around to trying our own game, The Solus Project, on the Vive and holy fuckballs. Way better than I suspected. The controls are fiddly and there are still some bugs (the team are still working on it) but the sense of place is absolutely astonishing.

Lol. You guys did a great job with the scale, definitely one of the most immersive games right now. That feel of using the tracked controller to guide the flashlight beam while underground, so good. Wish my rig could handle the outdoor areas better though.

JMZ555

Ok so my Vive and gtx1080 came today....

So my experience so far...

> Set up has been smooth as butter
>No software issues yet, firmware updated with no problems
> My favourite experience so far is Archery in the Lab, feels amazing.
> Also was taken by complete surprise to load up Rec Room too bunch of ppl messing bout and played a game of paintball which was great fun, seeing ppl trying there vives out and having a laugh was amazing.

Negatives

> Screen resolution is as expected is too low. But I'm going to try subsampling later.
>God rays problem but this varies by contrast of scene/game.
> Headset is too heavy, uncomfy. I dream of the day with no wires.

Next up to try

*Subsampling
*Brookhaven
*Contraption

Trojan

Next up to try

*Subsampling
*Brookhaven
*Contraption

I just started supersampling. It's a dark art because now I'm constantly wanting to tweak that plus in-game settings and I'm probably worrying way more about it than I should. But once I find the sweet spot for a game it's great.

SomTervo

GTX 780. Going to order a 1070 tonight.
i7 4770K 3.5ghz
16GB DDR3

Vive software is installing now at 60%.

Oh, cool, yeah you should be good with a 1070 on that set up.

I've got pretty much the same processor and a 1080 and everything is great in VR, unless I supersample to high. You'll probably need settings a bit lower with the 1070 but it will still be great.

Lol. You guys did a great job with the scale, definitely one of the most immersive games right now. That feel of using the tracked controller to guide the flashlight beam while underground, so good. Wish my rig could handle the outdoor areas better though.

Thanks! Yeah the boss really busted a nut getting the planet as good as he could, so I guess when he turned his attention to VR it worked out well.

What frustrates me is all the critics and players who go in expecting sci-fi Minecraft or Long Dark or something. It's not that kind of game.

But hey.

Hey, a VR developer! I have your game but I haven't played it just yet!

I have a question for you, kinda. When I was playing The Gallery: Call of the Starseed, I actually spent some time playing it sitting down, because I'd played a lot of VR games that day and was getting tired. It was mostly possible because of the way they let you rotate your view when you warped. But then I realized the game was obviously developed with the intent of being played standing, I'd be at eye height to tables and half submerged in water and such. And then I thought, I'm sure some kids' heads would probably be at the height mine was at when sitting.

My question is this: have you thought about/played around with the idea of scaling the world based on the player's height, or some sort of internal height option? I dunno, maybe this is something that all VR devs have already dealt with, I was just curious about developments on that front, and how hard it would be. People of a variety of heights are going to be playing these games, including children and little people, and you can't just raise the head height up because then their feet aren't on the floor, so I assume you'd probably have to scale everything.

And beyond that, picturing a multiplayer game that tries to be fair, for example a shooter with cover that is the perfect size for crouching behind...some people would be too big and others too small. A height slider that scales the world might be an interesting way to keep everyone on the same level, or even allow for some new perspectives if someone wanted to mess with it and make themselves short.

Zalusithix

Oh, are they? They would charge money for that garbage?

Garbage? They work fine for me. They're uncovered foam interfaces with all the benefits and drawbacks that implies. And really, what did you expect... HTC to not sell the OEM facial intefaces? If you want something different, there's other sources out there.

Enordash

They should be emailed if you order online but I think he said that he bought it in a store? Not sure how they give the bundle then or if they even offer it.

I bought mine at a Microsoft store, and they told me I'd get an email within 10 business days with the codes. It has now been six with no sign of them. I'll report back if they show up. According to HTC, it's up to the store to provide them. They can't do anything to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom