• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggroin

Banned
I just played Raw Data again, for the first time in version 0.2.

This game is just so great. My first time playing mission 3 (we play each mission twice in coop to unlock each upgrade), and it was a nice change of pace to play in a more open area. I also managed to "cheat" at the game by teleporting to an incined surface and then quickly moving another step in real live to reach a location which shouldn't be reachable. Fun stuff all around.

Overall, fighting in that game in coop is probably the most engaging moment-to-moment action game experience I've ever had, and by a good margin too.

Paintball in Rec Room is this for me. I find myself doing things I would typically do in real life (duck in tall grass, take cover behind obstacles, sneak up on people) more so than other multiplayer shooters in VR.

...I'm not sure why though.

Wait, they lock head controls? That's like the first thing everyone discovered not to do on DK1 years ago.
Not sure what you or the original poster means, you look around within the helmet, and move the overall helmet and suit with controller based suit thrusters.

Edit: whoops, has already been discussed.

Durante

Not sure what you or the original poster means, you look around within the helmet, and move the overall helmet and suit with controller based suit thrusters.

Edit: whoops, has already been discussed.
I didn't mean anything other than what was written in the post I quoted, I haven't played the game ;)

Sounds not nearly as bad as it did initially -- still, stuff where I don't have full 1:1 control is rather low on my VR buy/try list.

MaDKaT

Not going to win an beauty contests with this on but it is way more comfortable. Finally got around to changing out the stock head straps for the welding mask head gear Ive seen online. I tried two different types. 1 from my own welding hood and the one you see here. I Highly recommend to get the one pictured since it is far easier to slip on and off because of the way the back is hinged.

718e49da-a636-430c-96f6-fa191988155b_zpsx6fe59ko.jpg

Head isnt to scale and it doesnt interfere with my over ear headphones.

Wallach

Went on VR binge last night with the sale.

Cosmic Trip is pretty cool, but there also really isn't much of anything there. To be honest this seems like it is a long ways away from being an actual game. I'll be keeping tabs on it because the presentation is great and the framework looks like it will be solid, but I feel like it'll probably be 2017 before this is fleshed out enough to come back to regularly rather than checking up on.

Call of the Starseed Ep 1 I played through start to finish in one go. I didn't get quite 2 hours out of it, but I really enjoyed this and hope that they have a lot more to come in this series. These kind of adventure games are exactly what I want to see so much more of in VR (which is also why I'm pining for Obduction to finally come out). Would recommend considering if you're a fan of point-and-click style adventure games yourself, though it

Super Kaiju apparently came out during this sale yesterday, and I picked it up almost entirely based on presentation. These guys were selected as part of the Accelerator program, and I think it's because they have a pretty good handle on presentation / UI in VR. It's basically a 1v1 best-of-three PvP game where you are a dude standing in front of your kaiju, across from your opponent in the same situation. You each have two little automatic laser blasters, which you can use to shoot down a bunch of "creeps" that fly in from different angles, which can earn you power-ups (health restore or stronger blasters) or a currency that you can spend on a couple basic cooldowns (missile salvo or frontal shield). Could see this getting pretty popular as it is a nice game to look at, and really simple to jump into and play.

New games aside, I'd like to jump back into Raw Data tonight in a few hours, so if anyone's down for co-op let me know!

Not going to win an beauty contests with this on but it is way more comfortable. Finally got around to changing out the stock head straps for the welding mask head gear Ive seen online. I tried two different types. 1 from my own welding hood and the one you see here. I Highly recommend to get the one pictured since it is far easier to slip on and off because of the way the back is hinged.

718e49da-a636-430c-96f6-fa191988155b_zpsx6fe59ko.jpg

Head isnt to scale and it doesnt interfere with my over ear headphones.

That looks good, only £114.00 in the UK
lol

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
MIcrosoft stores have Vive demo stations! I was just in one and tried it. I tried the underwater whale demo and the tilt brush drawing demo. They were both awesome, especially tilt brush. I had a lot of experience with Oculus DK1 so I kind of knew what to expect, but this was notably better and more awesome. I don't know how new this Microsoft store initiative is, I could even make a thread about it if it's something new, as I don't remember hearing about it at all.
I know people were saying pixels are visible, screen door and all that, and yes, I could see it a bit, but for me, the moment these demos start, I completely forget all about that and enjoy the show (or in the case of brush demo create my own show :p ). There was absolutely no disorientation, fatigue or dizziness what-so-ever for me, and I used to have some dizziness with DK1. Although, of course, these demos were about as 'mild' as it gets compared to some of the stuff I've tried on DK1. The controller tracking was so good that it managed to surprise me, even though I was expecting it to be nearly perfect. It lost sync maybe 2-3 times for a second or so in the ten minutes of my demo time, but it recovered quickly, and it worked so great with the tilt brush demo. Walking through the crazy light trails I painted moments ago felt sci-fi as hell.

The only negative for me was that after only maybe ten minutes of having Vive and the headphones on my head, my face was already covered with sweat. I didn't notice it until after I took the headset off, and I was kind of surprised as I normally don't sweat much at all. It wasn't bad enough for the sweat to start dripping, but enough that I wanted to wipe it away. And that was in the air-conditioned store that wasn't warm at all, and me not getting tired at all from the movements I was making - it was just whatever the heat my face was radiating, or screen producing, tjhat couldn't escape anywhere I guess. I really don't remember this being the case with DK1. I think Vive might be a bit too hermetically sealed for its own good. It's true, there was no any notable light leakage, but I think the sweat is the byproduct of the tight seal.

Rec Room is THE VR showcase for me. It is the future. Really amazing experience, I wish I could pay for it.

The paintball mode they added is fantastic.

And it has the most amazing and friendly community.

Have you guys tried it?

Tadie

Rec Room is THE VR showcase for me. It is the future. Really amazing experience, I wish I could pay for it.

Have you guys tried it?

Yep, it's really special.
Rec room is true next gen in my opinion.

Wallach

I just played Raw Data again, for the first time in version 0.2.

This game is just so great. My first time playing mission 3 (we play each mission twice in coop to unlock each upgrade), and it was a nice change of pace to play in a more open area. I also managed to "cheat" at the game by teleporting to an incined surface and then quickly moving another step in real live to reach a location which shouldn't be reachable. Fun stuff all around.

Overall, fighting in that game in coop is probably the most engaging moment-to-moment action game experience I've ever had, and by a good margin too.

The game is really fun in co-op, but I have to say the single player experience has been kind of wack. It's been really hard for me to even find a co-op player for Raw Data (I've never seen a single public game on the listing, and only once has anyone ever joined a public lobby I opened) and the second mission kind of seems designed in a way that winds up being a shitty experience played solo. I guess the latest patch was supposed to make it easier, but the problem to me doesn't seem to really be with the number of enemies, it's the fact that you still can't see shit so you wind up basically just needing to sit with your back to the wall next to the data core or constantly deal with shit you don't see coming. I got a couple waves into it and just left between the second and third because it wasn't really any fun.

The one time I got a co-op match for that mission last patch (which was when I obliterated the light bulb and had to leave mid-mission) it was so much more enjoyable because you have the other person to cover all the blind spots you're dealing with and you don't feel any pressure to just sit against a wall.

Durante

The second mission is much easier even in single player once you've unlocked turrets. They don't just help with the enemies actively, the shot direction also lets you know where they are. Also, they added the flashlight in 0.2 which helps as well.

kinggroin

Banned

Have you guys tried it?

See my post at the top of this page. It's the shit for sure. Some performance optimizations and this will be the penultimate VR experience imo.

JMZ555

Imagine the REC Room converted into a Dungeons and dragon theme....

The changing Room = the Inn where warriors gather and form groups.....
Then you exit out of one of multiple doors to different dungeons....
Also Instead of Paintball you have gladiator arena..
Instead of ping pong you have 1 v 1 duals
You have your mirror for checking armour...
Combine the awesome feeling of The Lab archery etc

Rec Room would be hell of a laugh like above

Business

Have you guys tried it?

Just tried it this afternoon and it's mind blowing. The games themselves are ok but being able to interact with real people in VR with gestures and voice (I had no idea there people could hear me!) was really out of this world.

Paganmoon

Paintball in Rec Room is great, could've been a full game on it's own. Though, I don't think I've ever been called a "cheating fuck" so many times in my whole life (just cause I tagged someone in the open too). "social" VR can be a real drag I think, but I guess we already knew that.

Zalusithix

Paintball in Rec Room is great, could've been a full game on it's own. Though, I don't think I've ever been called a "cheating fuck" so many times in my whole life (just cause I tagged someone in the open too).

Unfortunately, I have no doubt that as VR becomes more widely adopted, people's experiences will be skewed more towards the later quote.

Paganmoon

Unfortunately, I have no doubt that as VR becomes more widely adopted, people's experiences will be skewed more towards the later quote.

It's unfortunate, really. But I'm still really looking forward to getting home and playing some more Paintball. I still can't believe it's free, and a "mini game" in a bigger title.

Durante

Currently, it reminds me of the early days of Ultima Online. Obviously it's not all good, but there's something to be said for communities in which only early adopter geeks participate :p

SomTervo

Went on VR binge last night with the sale.

Honestly, VR has brought out a binge-buyer in me I never thought existed. Every experience is so great and valuable because they each get subtle things right, and they're all so cheap because it's all so early in development.

Once I start buying I usually have a cart of 4-5 exciting looking things before I know it.

It's terrib
rilliant
!

Says on the website, shipping for the Vive is 2/3 days if you order it. How accurate is that?

If you're in the UK, scan.co.uk ship them next-day pretty much. Day-after-tomorrow if you order in the evening.

I ordered mine on 22 June at about 11pm and it arrived 24 June.

Zalusithix

Honestly, VR has brought out a binge-buyer in me I never thought existed. Every experience is so great and valuable because they each get subtle things right, and they're all so cheap because it's all so early in development.

Once I start buying I usually have a cart of 4-5 exciting looking things before I know it.

It's terrib
rilliant
!

If you're in the UK, scan.co.uk ship them next-day pretty much. Day-after-tomorrow if you order in the evening.

I ordered mine on 22 June at about 11pm and it arrived 24 June.

The early access status of a lot of the games/experiences is half the fun. Seeing where devs take the games as they get more experienced with the medium and apply feedback from the players. A lot of them are very active with updates churning out on average about once a week. As such, even with the same stable of games, the experience can be significantly different from one week to the next.

I mean, it's not great for those looking for finished, polished, AAA level stuff that'll last them dozens of hours. For those that can appreciate the evolving, experimental nature of it all though? It's something special.

I mean, it's not great for those looking for finished, polished, AAA level stuff that'll last them dozens of hours. For those that can appreciate the evolving, experimental nature of it all though? It's something special.

I'm not looking for polished games that will last for hours—I knew going in that they didn't exist yet—but I really wish there were more games that were short and small, but polished and complete.

Stuff like Waddle Home, The Blu, Fruit Ninja VR, and the mini-games in The Lab. They're simple, yes, but they're really good at what they do, and everything present feels "finished".

(I know that Fruit Ninja VR is technically listed as Early Access; not sure what's with that. It's a SUPER polished game)

On a separate note, I finally tried Budget Cuts this weekend. I should have tried it ages ago, but my feeling was that if it's really as good as everyone says, I'd rather save myself for when the full game is released.

Well, I changed my mind, and I'm glad it did.

The sense of presence is incredible. I'm not sure what they did, but it was noticeable from the moment I entered the game. Everything feels even more real than normal, and it totally engrossed me.

That said, IT'S REALLY HARD, and I still haven't beaten it. I wish the checkpoints were a bit less unforgiving. Really would have liked a way to save my progress as well—I know it's just a demo, but it's long/difficult enough to warrant a save option.

Easily my second favorite Vive game behind The Lab.

Durante

I really wish there were more games that were short and small, but polished and complete.

Stuff like Waddle Home, The Blu, Fruit Ninja VR, and the mini-games in The Lab. They're short and simple, yes, but they're really good at what they do, and everything present feels complete.
I hope you've already bought Water Bears VR, because it's exactly what you ask for.

pj

Banned
I hope you've already bought Water Bears VR, because it's exactly what you ask for.

I wish the difficulty was more balanced in that. All of the normal levels are braindead easy. Most of the challenge ones are also super easy. Then all of a sudden there's one challenge level that is impossible

Durante

I wish the difficulty was more balanced in that. All of the normal levels are braindead easy. Most of the challenge ones are also super easy. Then all of a sudden there's one challenge level that is impossible
... I don't remember any level being particularly difficult. (Yes, this is a "git gud" post :p)

But seriously, I posted before that I'd love a Water Bears challenge DLC pack or something like that, but one of the developers said that there are no plans for anything like that right now :(

UltraJay

I don't know much about Dota but checking out its VR mode convinced me that a top down ARPG like Diablo or a mini-RTS could work wonderfully. It just made me want to take control so bad and take on creeps (not so much other players).

Pikmin would be incredible. I've tried the first game on Dolphin VR but would like a native game with Vive controls (and a skybox).

Wait... Did the Wii port of Pikmin add Wiimote controls or was that introduced in Pikmin 3? I knew I should have picked up that copy I saw ages ago.

Paganmoon

I've come to the realization that I really shouldn't play too immersive games with a bit of a darker atmosphere, when it's night time and I'm all alone. Something like Rec Room paintball? no problem (it's immersive, but not dark). theBlu Luminous Abyss, no, well, yes, but my heart is fucking racing. I mean, it's not scary, it's just... the sound and not being able to see far, damn it, it was awesome, really, but man does VR fuck with your head.

Figured I'd try out Universe Sandbox 2, and it was pretty awesome, checked a few of the presets (have to say, I don't think it's optimized, I was dropping frames with a Core i7 6700k and a GTX1080), tested the Sun, Jupiter, Earth and some other planet preset, and it looked really damn cool, until I saw the sun starting to pop in from my hip which scared the shit out of me, I had to look away... I mean, at times, it's almost too fucking immersive. Specially if the sound design is top notch.

Zalusithix

I've come to the realization that I really shouldn't play too immersive games with a bit of a darker atmosphere, when it's night time and I'm all alone. Something like Rec Room paintball? no problem (it's immersive, but not dark). theBlu Luminous Abyss, no, well, yes, but my heart is fucking racing. I mean, it's not scary, it's just... the sound and not being able to see far, damn it, it was awesome, really, but man does VR fuck with your head.

Figured I'd try out Universe Sandbox 2, and it was pretty awesome, checked a few of the presets (have to say, I don't think it's optimized, I was dropping frames with a Core i7 6700k and a GTX1080), tested the Sun, Jupiter, Earth and some other planet preset, and it looked really damn cool, until I saw the sun starting to pop in from my hip which scared the shit out of me, I had to look away... I mean, at times, it's almost too fucking immersive. Specially if the sound design is top notch.
From the first sentence, I totally thought you'd be going into how Brookhaven or some such made it hard for you to sleep. Then you go into talking about theBlu and Universe Sandbox... Makes me wonder what would happen if you played something actually designed to be scary. =P

Trogdor1123

I just tried a vive her in Edmonton and I was totally sold. It's amazing. I thought a headset was all I needed but after the Blu demo I need a whole room setup. I'm totally down with it. I'm not buying for like 2 years though so I'm hoping it gets much cheaper. My one concern was the screen door effect. It was terrible. I hope in new revisions that's fixed.

vermadas

FUCK. If you customized your arcade in the NRA:N demo, beware that installing (or running?) the full version will wipe out your XML configurations. Back that shit up.

Paganmoon

From the first sentence, I totally thought you'd be going into how Brookhaven or some such made it hard for you to sleep. Then you go into talking about theBlu and Universe Sandbox... Makes me wonder what would happen if you played something actually designed to be scary. =P

Haha, yeah, thing is, it wasn't scary in that sense that I couldn't sleep after, just that in the moment, it just feels so real that it's jarring. Specially when it's night time, I'm a bit tired, and there's no one around. If I'm playing a real scary game, say Brookhaven, and have friends around, it's not a big deal, but not having anyone to talk to while "inside" just adds to the immersion.

Enordash

While showing off VR to my fiance and her sister, they both had total meltdowns when they were spotted by the robots in Budget Cuts to the point that neither could continue playing. Throwing someone into a horror game without adequate warning would be irresponsible, lol.

Holy shit, I just high-fived someone in Rec Room.

This is awesome!

Rec Room has so many great ideas. I love the character customization. I love the player representation and interaction. Tossing a teammate a spare ball in dodgeball was one of those VR "holy shit" moments for me just because of how natural it felt. I high fived a guy after playing a few rounds of paddleball. I had fun filming a game of dodgeball from the bleachers. During my games of paintball, a guy on my team was doing a ridiculously good Arnold Schwarzenegger impression which had everyone on both teams laughing hysterically. I loved every minute of it.

While showing off VR to my fiance and her sister, they both had total meltdowns when they were spotted by the robots in Budget Cuts to the point that neither could continue playing. Throwing someone into a horror game without adequate warning would be irresponsible, lol.

Rec Room has so many great ideas. I love the character customization. I love the player representation and interaction. Tossing a teammate a spare ball in dodgeball was one of those VR "holy shit" moments for me just because of how natural it felt. I high fived a guy after playing a few rounds of paddleball. I had fun filming a game of dodgeball from the bleachers. During my games of paintball, a guy on my team was doing a ridiculously good Arnold Schwarzenegger impression which had everyone on both teams laughing hysterically. I loved every minute of it.

Yeah, it's amazing. Spread the word. Rec Room deserves all the exposure and love it can get.. it is very overlooked.

I bought New Retro Arcade, it is neat, but it is really just a taste of what could be done if this idea was implemented properly.

Will it ever work with lightgun games? Or does it already?

Would it be possible to keep the machines running at all times (attract mode..), to get a real Arcade sound/feel? Or would that just murder the CPU/Memory?

vermadas

I bought New Retro Arcade, it is neat, but it is really just a taste of what could be done if this idea was implemented properly.

Will it ever work with lightgun games? Or does it already?

Would it be possible to keep the machines running at all times (attract mode..), to get a real Arcade sound/feel? Or would that just murder the CPU/Memory?

Yeah, the full game is a bit undercooked from what I was hoping for.

Re: lightgun games, I would hope it's in the works. They have a lightgun cabinet in the VIP area but it's their own generic zombie game and can't be reconfigured.

Re: attract mode, supposedly they were going to support animated gifs for the attract screens and an accompanying audio file it would play on loop. It wouldn't be sync'd but it would go a long way for immersion. Like you said, if they used actual movie files it would be a performance killer. I have no idea if this feature made it in.

How does this work? Is it just a front-end and you add your own emulators/ROMs or does it include emulators, and you just add ROMs?

It includes neither the emulators or the ROMs. It uses libretro emulator cores, which you'll have to provide. Unfortunately, it only supports a small subset of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom