• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

Decided to experiment a bit tonight in Audioshield with the other shield types that I haven't used since the first day... Well, as it turns out, even after playing 40+ hours of the game, using anything other than my standard (kite) is a downright disaster. Not only am I no better than my first day flailings, I'm possibly even worse when using them. I'm not confused by crossovers and complex patterns like back then, but my muscle memory compensates for that by constantly screwing up the position and angle of the shields. That leads to misses and the need to consciously compensate for the placement discrepancy - which in turn slows down my reaction time. Just blocking a string of orbs becomes a challenge; a string that I'd normally be performing exaggerated superfluous movements with while blocking to increase the artistic score.

It's amazing how much minor changes in VR can have a massive impact in the experience. Particularly when compared to traditional gaming.

One of the games I picked up is called HoloBall... seems pretty cool, like fun idea, simple, great visuals. But I mean, are they fuckin' serious with how they are using your play space right now? Even on easy I would have had to literally make dash leaps from one side of my room to the other to make some shots, or basically scoop the controller near the floor. Between serves I checked the edge of my in-game boundary against my chaperone border and it's like not even the length of a controller. I mean what the hell, do they think I'm going to just risk slamming my shit against the wall to play this game? As cool as it is I might just refund the game, that seems like a dangerous use of play space to me. Lord knows I wouldn't let anyone else try it with my hardware.

Check the settings, you can tweak the width of playspace as you see fit, height as well.

By default we push it right to the edge as that tends to be the funnest experience :)

Paganmoon

Paganmoon

So basically you need to download the standard dota and there will be a VR spectate option or how does it work?

yeah, just the standard DOTA2 client, and then download the VR addon from the game hub in Steam. can right-click to start in VR from the Steam client, or start it directly from the VR dashboard when you've got the headset on.

Wallach

Forgot to mention in this thread - I received my thicker memory foam replacement pads from VR Cover, and I have to say they are pretty nice. It's not a perfect fit, there seems to be some overlap as if they are a bit taller than the interface itself, but it doesn't seem to impact the fit or comfort really. Much more comfortable than the stock foam though, doesn't absorb sweat nearly as much. Probably my favorite product from them so far and have made my cloth covers from them seem unnecessary.

elyetis

Wish you could remove or at least extend the fog of war when in VR mode, as the most zoomed out position is sort of useless as it is.
That, so much that. And being able to have information in that mod, 3d map is the best part of the VR mod but you are information starved, can't select a hero to know his item or cooldown, no minimap on demand, etc..

krumble

Forgot to mention in this thread - I received my thicker memory foam replacement pads from VR Cover, and I have to say they are pretty nice. It's not a perfect fit, there seems to be some overlap as if they are a bit taller than the interface itself, but it doesn't seem to impact the fit or comfort really. Much more comfortable than the stock foam though, doesn't absorb sweat nearly as much. Probably my favorite product from them so far and have made my cloth covers from them seem unnecessary.

Great to hear, I ordered some yesterday as was fed up with the stock foam, and even found their waterproof cover annoying as it's constantly moving off the foam, hoping this all in one solution will finally ease the comfort of wear the Vive

derFeef

I tied both but actually prefer it just with glasses, it's just more hassle-free as I don't use contact lenses daily. Unless you run into problems with pain on your nose or ears because of the glasses, just stick with it. But if you want the get the maximum out of the FOV you would want to go with contacts though.

Nzyme32

Edit - I'm fucking blind, of course it was already posted. My browser saved yesterdays page haha

Intel working on Depth Sensor for HTC Vive

IntelHTCVive.0.0.jpg

intel-depth-1000x800.jpg

More info Aug 16-18 at Intel's Dev Conference apparently

Zalusithix

I tied both but actually prefer it just with glasses, it's just more hassle-free as I don't use contact lenses daily. Unless you run into problems with pain on your nose or ears because of the glasses, just stick with it. But if you want the get the maximum out of the FOV you would want to go with contacts though.
To be clear, you should be able to get the normal maximum FoV with glasses on. It's only when you start considering thinner third party facial interfaces that place the lenses even closer to the eyes that it can become an issue.

I got to try the Vive last night, a friend got one yesterday, so I went round to have a look. Looking forward to getting PSVR now, as I haven't got the money for a Vive right now, having just built a new gaming PC but PSVR should be a good starting point for this year.

The motion tracking works great, its a little weird at first not being able to see your hands and feet but once the controllers are in hand, you get used to it. The sense of scale is really good, with environments towering above you or a giant whale swimming by you, its all very immersive and didn't make me sick, which is a bonus. I didn't notice the screen door effect really and while the image quality is not as sharp as a TV or monitor would be (there is a very slight fuzziness to the image) it does more than a good job of displaying a game

Only had a few small issues with it, nothing major but its not 100% perfect.

1 - Its not the easiest thing to put on or the most comfortable headset to wear, if you wear glasses. Its a snug fit (which is good) but it can feel tight on the face if you have thick frames.

2 - It did get a bit hot and steam up a little, a few times, so I had to adjust it when that happened.

3 - Price. As an investment for the future, it will (hopefully) be worth the money, but right now, there isn't really that killer app yet (at least for me anyway) just a lot of nice tech demos.

Apart from cost, the others wouldn't be a deal breaker though and it makes me look forward to PSVR, as most previews have been saying its the easiest to put on / most comfortable to wear with glasses, out of the big 3 VR headsets. I really liked the Vive though, its a very nice bit of kit and an enjoyable experience.

SomTervo

anyone here play hover junkers? its basically a FPS.

Yeah Hover Junkers is great. Playing with a friend and getting in a room with a few strangers is brilliant.

Buzzbot co-op with a couple of friends is brilliant too.

The best VR games with gun mechanics at the moment are Hover Junkers, VR zGame, Out of Ammo and Raw Data. All handle guns perfectly. I haven't tried Zombie Trainer or whatever, but that sounds like it handles guns well too.

I have a question about software for the Vive. I see a lot of games that fall into the Shooting Gallary category and I'm not particularly fond of those. I really enjoyed Tilt Brush and TruBlu demos (the latter felt super short though) and was wondering if there's more software like that on Vive? Something where one just takes in the nice vistas or do something productive in a 3D space? Maybe not yet but upcoming?

As Durante said, you should give The Solus Project a go. No combat; lots of slow exploration and puzzles. It was designed as a non-VR exploration/adventure game, and is about 12-14 hours long as a fully functional non-VR game. Then over the last 2-3 months (game launched officially on 8 June I think) the guys managed to patch in and iterate on Oculus and Vive support, and now we're getting really good VR feedback.

It's an adventure/exploration game where you crash land on an alien planet and spend most of your time trying to rebuild your comms tower and journeying through atmospheric depths. There is no combat, as I said. There are gentle RPG elements (finding better gear, upgrading your stats and equipment), a fair bit of survival (managing thirst/hunger/temperature/sleep) and a few puzzle elements.

Most of it is exploration, though, with a lot of story dripped throughout (mostly written by yours truly).

I played the non-VR game for something like 40 hours, testing and iterating etc, but I tried it in VR for the first time last week, and holy fuck, it was insane. Sense of place and scale on this alien planet was amazing. And it's a long game - there are hours and hours of content to see. Some people have spent 200+ hours in it o_o

SimplexPL

Opinions on r/vive are generally positive.

It's probably the only game that has caused me to rip the cord from the break out box multiple times.
Same here - for some reason only the power cable would get disconnected. At some point I bent the cables and taped them to the linkbox.

Got my hands on a very early version of a one dev rhythm game being worked on that's played with a virtual drumset (think like the Rock Band drumkit) and uses OsuMania and Stepmainia beatmaps for songs. Mostly just the core functionality in it right now, but it is surprisingly fun. You rhythm game fans that want something more authored are probably going to be in to this when it's done.

So learning about that intel addon is the first I've known about the USB port

Convenient for sticking a controller into the headset I guess, but with me moving the PC to another room I want to put a wireless keyboard dongle in there

So the right side of one of my controllers touch pad is now sticking and not giving me a click, it's still working and is detecting my thumb but it's rather irritating. Any fix? I've tried cleaning it and moving it around so idk why it got like this. The other side clicks down perfectly fine.

I don't think anything has been spilled on the controllers, but the only thing I can think of is when having my friends over maybe someone did something somehow.

CaLe

So the right side of one of my controllers touch pad is now sticking and not giving me a click, it's still working and is detecting my thumb but it's rather irritating. Any fix? I've tried cleaning it and moving it around so idk why it got like this. The other side clicks down perfectly fine.

I don't think anything has been spilled on the controllers, but the only thing I can think of is when having my friends over maybe someone did something somehow.

Same thing happened to me a week after I got it....Well it's giving me a click, but it's not as "clicky". The built quality on this thing is not the best for the price we paid.

Same thing happened to me a week after I got it....Well it's giving me a click, but it's not as "clicky". The built quality on this thing is not the best for the price we paid.

Damn :/ They are still nice but yeah, considering how much replacements are too.... ugh. I'll get over it i guess, unless that part of the pad stops actually working.

Damn :/ They are still nice but yeah, considering how much replacements are too.... ugh. I'll get over it i guess, unless that part of the pad stops actually working.

Call HTC. Warranties exist for a reason and we shouldn't put up with this crap. Not on an $800 product, and how much replacement controllers cost.

Enordash

You'll get an email a few days after your purchase with the codes. Check your junk mail folder as several of my friends found their codes in there.

Mine was in the spam folder as well. Seems to be the rule, not the exception.

In other news, I noticed a dead pixel in my Vive today. It's not really in the worst position; kinda up and out of the way. Would people recommend going through the hassle of getting it exchanged?

SomTervo

Just lost almost two hours of my life, on a work night, to Rec Room.

Holy fuck. That is one of the most amazing experiences I've had in gaming.

Made five friends, so quickly, and just... Played. Sometimes it's easy to forget what it's all about. That's the root of all this - the origin of it. Playing. You just have fun.

Incredible. Charades blew my mind.

Zalusithix

Looks like the Vive/SteamVR peripherals will finally start becoming a thing. Depending on implementation speed, perhaps we'll start seeing products in H1 2017? Of course there's going to be a chicken and egg problem for additional peripherals.

The bigger takeaway is the possibility for entirely new VR headsets using the lighthouse system for tracking. Unfortunately I think all the near term ones that were looking into using the tech gave up on waiting and went down alternate routes. Still, at least this will open the door on more than just paper.

Durante

Looks like new Vives are now selling in a smaller retail box:
http://imgur.com/a/ZWilZ

There also seem to be a few very minor construction tweaks. I'm not surprised they didn't stick with the awesome but quite over-engineered packaging for the non-preorder units.

pj

Banned

There also seem to be a few very minor construction tweaks. I'm not surprised they didn't stick with the awesome but quite over-engineered packaging for the non-preorder units.

More like under engineered. Getting things safely into the smallest space possible is what takes engineering. Anybody could take boulders of foam and carve out vive controller shaped chunks

HTC announced Viveport.

Today at VRLA, we are announcing Viveport as a place where people can discover the latest and greatest in VR content and experiences. Viveport will feature content across exciting, new categories for VR–like information, edutainment, social media, 360˚ video, news, sports, health, travel and shopping. The upcoming release will also introduce an update to Vive Home, which is our personal and customizable virtual space with interactive widgets and more.

I'd really love to have a package similar to the CV1's. I still use it to store the headset, it's perfect.

Vive's box on the other hand it's and clunky.

I'll be building some storage unit for both headsets and charging soon, I guess.

pj

Banned
I'd really love to have a package similar to the CV1's. I still use it to store the headset, it's perfect.

Vive's box on the other hand it's and clunky.

I'll be building some storage unit for both headsets and charging soon, I guess.

The sub-boxes in the vive box are removable and I use them in my ikea bookshelf to store the controllers and headset. Works pretty good, though there's definitely a lot of wasted space in the controller box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom