• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
This just came out

ss_cca78f68646aa71391c06f453b4df95b9b2612fa.600x338.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/510740/

I can only hope we get a Giantbomb quicklook of this.

Finally got around trying Apollo 11 VR.

Holy cow. Actually docking the module and landing the eagle is amazing.

Incredible experience if you like space. And to think this is a very early VR project...man.

If you want a couple hours of space wonder, buy this "game".

jaypah

So Steam VR just decides to start on its own now. I close it down and it starts again. The only way to stop it is to unplug the power from the breakout box. Seems like I have some troubleshooting to do after work.

You guys seen this yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p9Cx4iX47E&&ab_channel=Mindshow

Seems pretty cool! Rigs character models to you so you can perform as them and play it back. You can sign up for early access but there's a queue.

I have so many dumb fucking ideas already in mind.

That looks incredible, I can already imagine the kind of crazy stuff people will come up with.

Is there a similar system for creating game assets like animations?

I'd love to be able to "act out" certain animations and then use them in a game.

Enordash

This might have been mentiond before, but here's a great blog post about locomotion by a Budget Cuts dev: https://medium.com/neat-corp/the-design-of-the-portal-locomotion-2677f3b3f9b5#.wl1uljdeb

Thanks for sharing!

You guys seen this yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p9Cx4iX47E&&ab_channel=Mindshow

Seems pretty cool! Rigs character models to you so you can perform as them and play it back. You can sign up for early access but there's a queue.

I have so many dumb fucking ideas already in mind.

Dude, this looks so cool. I'd probably just use it to make stupid things for my friends, but still, I want in.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Whoa, that looks awesome. Very interesting concept.

Mindshow looks pretty cool. It reminds me of when Source Filmmaker was first revealed and how excited I got about that. This will probably be a lot more fun to make stuff with, though. I've always wanted to do performance capture.

How do I transport my Vive such that the lenses won't get scratched. Need to leave in a few hours and I'm getting VERY nervous about this, I didn't think it through very well.

I can't find the original packaging. I have the box, but I can't find the piece of foam that the headset fits into.

Durante

Today I tried the "The Lab" renderer Valve released for Unity for the first time.

... UE4 (and base Unity for that matter) really need a well implemented, adaptive forward rendering option like this. As long as your materials work with it, the performance (and therefore IQ) bump is amazing. I'd describe it, but you all know The Lab's IQ.

... UE4 (and base Unity for that matter) really need a well implemented, adaptive forward rendering option like this. As long as your materials work with it, the performance (and therefore IQ) bump is amazing. I'd describe it, but you all know The Lab's IQ.

So is it possible to explain in _relatively_ non-technical terms what's holding back wider implementation of the renderer? I've heard devs say it's very difficult to implement.

Durante

So is it possible to explain in _relatively_ non-technical terms what's holding back wider implementation of the renderer? I've heard devs say it's very difficult to implement.
In Unity you mean?

Well, whether or not it's difficult to implement depends on a few factors I'd say:
  1. How far you are into developing your project already. I mean, if you plan on using it from the start then it takes all of 5 minutes to integrate. If you have a massive amount of development already done which depends on some specific features it will get a lot more complicated.
  2. Whether you use a lot of (e.g. asset-store-bought) props which use custom materials that don't cleanly auto-convert to the renderer.
  3. Whether you use some post-processing passes not designed to deal with adaptive quality.
It probably doesn't help that many people using Unity might not have a technical background, and work alone or in small teams where any time spent on porting is time lost in other development.

But overall I think the renderer is pretty easy to set up, and surprisingly well documented by any standard and particularly for something released by Valve ;)

My understanding is that it breaks or makes inaccessible a lot of custom stuff and is really only good for making experiences very similar to the Lab (like small environments for example). The guy who makes Hot Dogs, Horse Shoes, Hand Grenades has gone relatively in depth in to why it's not a one size fits all solution a few times on Reddit that I'd link if I wasn't on mobile.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why don't all games look as crisp as The Lab? The spooky forest house is so beautiful. Nearly every other game is a smudged, blurry mess.

dsk1210

So I picked up a Vive today and I have to say that Rec Room is amazing. It's so sociable, I never expected that. I was talking away to complete strangers and having fun with them.

The paintball game is fantastic and so much fun. I am really blown away with how good this is, and it's free.

Starviper

Grabbed Raw Data and have to say I am a bit disappointed with the game graphically? Like it looks nice and the game is fun but the graphics just don't work for me. Things would look nice if the image was cleaned up more, but if I turn it up to 1.1x I get that reprojection issue.

I'd like to enjoy the game but it's difficult with the textures being so jaggy. Playing off a 1070 and a 4770K.

Why don't all games look as crisp as The Lab? The spooky forest house is so beautiful. Nearly every other game is a smudged, blurry mess.

THIS EXACTLY.

EDIT: Apparently turning off the desktop rendering can get a pretty big performance increase? I do have a 4k TV connected like someone else mentions, that would explain why performance is so rough if the desktop render is running @ 4k.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4w95f6/disabling_raw_data_desktop_view_for_performance/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4t0en8/raw_data_performance_advice/

johnvr

PolishQ

So it sounds like Obduction, the new game from the creators of Myst, will be getting official Vive support. Previously they had only announced support for Rift, but this is from a new "Backer receipt" email they just sent out:

VR Version

Obduction is a blast in VR, but the VR version has its own set of challenges. We’re working closely with Oculus and our other partners to tune the VR experience. Any Obduction backer with a Rift (sooner) or Vive (later) will be eligible to get the VR version. We’re figuring out the details of how this will work, and we’ll provide them soon.

Non-VR version releases on the 24th of this month.

I just built a PC for a friend for his Vive, clean windows install with only drivers and Steam, and the Vive or anything VR related works like crap. Performance is a mess, 30-40fps on any game or even the steam hub, i don't know what could be happening.

His config.

i7 6700k
Gigabyte Z170x G1 Gaming
32gb DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance LED
Samsung 950 Pro 256gb NVME SSD
Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming
Coolermaster V650 PSU

The Base Stations are connected with the sync cable, already tried direct mode disabled or enabled, nothing changes. I installed the latest Windows 10, 1067 i believe, motherboard drivers, latest Nvidia drivers and just Steam, any ideas what could be happening??? : /

I just built a PC for a friend for his Vive, clean windows install with only drivers and Steam, and the Vive or anything VR related works like crap. Performance is a mess, 30-40fps on any game or even the steam hub, i don't know what could be happening.

His config.

i7 6700k
Gigabyte Z170x G1 Gaming
32gb DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance LED
Samsung 950 Pro 256gb NVME SSD
Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming
Coolermaster V650 PSU

The Base Stations are connected with the sync cable, already tried direct mode disabled or enabled, nothing changes. I installed the latest Windows 10, 1067 i believe, motherboard drivers, latest Nvidia drivers and just Steam, any ideas what could be happening??? : /

Is it just VR? Is the system benchmarking okay? Other games good?

Durante

^ Yeah, you should first run 3DMark or something to see if general performance is affected.

I'm dying for UE4 to get dynamic resolution support, but what advantages does the Valve renderer bring to Unity outside of that?
It's a single-pass forward renderer which supports up to 18 dynamic lights in that single pass. The primary advantage of that is that you can use MSAA (relatively cheaply), and 8xMSAA just looks far and away better than any other AA solution in VR.

Trojan

For those interested in Titan X performance in VR, I installed mine today and spent a few hours testing out some applications and playing around with supersampling. I haven't seen any official benchmarking yet for this card in VR; not surprising since VR benchmarking in general seems objectively challenging. I have not overclocked the card yet, just set a moderate fan curve to keep the card cool enough where it won't throttle and stays at 75C or below.

I've set my supersampling in all applications to 2x. Previously I was at 1.5x in my 980ti and saw a big jump in clarity, and once I moved to 2x it really makes a huge difference in text readability and visibility of distant objects. I'm able to run Nvidia VR Funhouse at high settings in 2x SS with no dropped frames. Raw Data can be run on Epic setting across the board in 2x with hardly any dropped frames (no frame drops by lowering one or more settings to High). The card is a beast in VR so far from what I'm seeing.

Another major factor I've noticed from going to 2x SS is the feasibility of playing standard games in VR theatre mode. The clarity of the theatre screen in 1x is just not great and text is not easily readable, but once it's bumped around 2x it really improves the experience. I was playing Dead Space for a bit to test it out and it breathed new life into that game.

So far the card really delivers if you want to push supersampling to the limit. I'm sure those who have 1080's overclocked or in SLI already know this. I'm planning on doing some OCing tomorrow and see what I can get at 2.5x SS.

KillerAJD

Pulled the Vive out for the first time in a month or so and played around with some Hot Dogs, Horshoes & Hand Grenades, and I'm reminded just how fucking cool this thing is.

Some of my brother's friends stopped by, and after some initial trepidation, I got them to try out some stuff, and still, the far and away best thing to show new users is the Archery demo in The Lab (at least, that's been my experience with new users). They had an absolute blast.

Also got them to try the Budget Cuts demo and the Brookhaven demo, and both demos caused them to freak out when the robots/zombies got close, which is always fun to watch (except when the headset and controllers start getting tossed around...haha).

It's really awesome seeing people come to grips with the controls so quickly (especially with people that don't play video games), and when a game gets it perfect (like The Lab), there's very little I have to do for them to have an awesome experience.

I've got a 980 and a 3570k (both heavily OC'd), and those just don't seem to cut the mustard in some aspects, which is a shame, because I really want to check out stuff like Raw Data, but I just can't trust my hardware to provide the experience I want. I'm really looking forward to more games using The Lab's renderer, because that is clearly the best looking/performing game I've got.

Also, I definitely need to get some kind of nice, cushiony floor mat, because standing on stiff carpet does not feel comfortable after awhile.

Evo X

For those interested in Titan X performance in VR, I installed mine today and spent a few hours testing out some applications and playing around with supersampling. I haven't seen any official benchmarking yet for this card in VR; not surprising since VR benchmarking in general seems objectively challenging. I have not overclocked the card yet, just set a moderate fan curve to keep the card cool enough where it won't throttle and stays at 75C or below.

I've set my supersampling in all applications to 2x. Previously I was at 1.5x in my 980ti and saw a big jump in clarity, and once I moved to 2x it really makes a huge difference in text readability and visibility of distant objects. I'm able to run Nvidia VR Funhouse at high settings in 2x SS with no dropped frames. Raw Data can be run on Epic setting across the board in 2x with hardly any dropped frames (no frame drops by lowering one or more settings to High). The card is a beast in VR so far from what I'm seeing.

Another major factor I've noticed from going to 2x SS is the feasibility of playing standard games in VR theatre mode. The clarity of the theatre screen in 1x is just not great and text is not easily readable, but once it's bumped around 2x it really improves the experience. I was playing Dead Space for a bit to test it out and it breathed new life into that game.

So far the card really delivers if you want to push supersampling to the limit. I'm sure those who have 1080's overclocked or in SLI already know this. I'm planning on doing some OCing tomorrow and see what I can get at 2.5x SS.

I can echo these impressions. VR runs like a dream on Pascal Titan X. Even at 2.0 SS, I am not noticing much better performance than Maxwell Titan X at 1.5 SS.

^ Yeah, you should first run 3DMark or something to see if general performance is affected.

I did this all night and performance overall is great, i even reinstalled windows twice to see if there was a driver broken or something, i might try to get an older version, at this point i don't know what else to try lol.

pj

Banned

The second one doesn't work for me. I think because my games are installed on a different drive than steam itself.

SS makes a big diff. For some reason a target of 2 was too much for my GPU with space pirate trainer. Constantly using reprojection. 1.4 seemed to work OK with SPT.
2 was fine for job sim.

I have an OC'd pascal Titan X so you'd think something as simple as SPT wouldn't be able to choke it..

pj

Banned
I did this all night and performance overall is great, i even reinstalled windows twice to see if there was a driver broken or something, i might try to get an older version, at this point i don't know what else to try lol.

Have you tried looking at the frame timing graph in steamvr?

It should be able to tell you what's eating up all render time

Durante

The second one doesn't work for me. I think because my games are installed on a different drive than steam itself.

SS makes a big diff. For some reason a target of 2 was too much for my GPU with space pirate trainer. Constantly using reprojection. 1.4 seemed to work OK with SPT.
2 was fine for job sim.

I have an OC'd pascal Titan X so you'd think something as simple as SPT wouldn't be able to choke it..
Just for the record, 2.0 means that you are rendering (1200*1.4*2.0)*(1080*1.4*2.0)*2 pixels per frame.

That's almost exactly as much as 10 "full HD" 1080p frames. And you need 90 of those in a second.

Enordash

For anyone still fooling around with Tilt Brush, I just accidentally found out that you can make the mirror tool actively spin. Making spheres and circles is way way easier this way if you can get it spinning correctly.

Zalusithix

2 was fine for job sim.

I have a feeling that the people claiming 2.0SS as being fine with the Titan X are most likely in reprojection territory. Sure they're not dropping frames, but if you're sensitive to the reprojection artifacts, it's still not a great setting. Especially in games where you have fast moving action.

x3sphere

I was able to run SPT at 2.0SS with no reprojection on a Pascal Titan but I had my GPU clocked at 2000 MHz. GPU usage was hovering around 90%

To be honest in that game I don't see a big jump visually from 1.5 -> 2.0. Vanishing Realms however also ran great and there was a very noticeable difference from going to 2.0 in that game.

krumble

Grabbed Raw Data and have to say I am a bit disappointed with the game graphically? Like it looks nice and the game is fun but the graphics just don't work for me. Things would look nice if the image was cleaned up more, but if I turn it up to 1.1x I get that reprojection issue.

I'd like to enjoy the game but it's difficult with the textures being so jaggy. Playing off a 1070 and a 4770K.

THIS EXACTLY.

EDIT: Apparently turning off the desktop rendering can get a pretty big performance increase? I do have a 4k TV connected like someone else mentions, that would explain why performance is so rough if the desktop render is running @ 4k.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4w95f6/disabling_raw_data_desktop_view_for_performance/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4t0en8/raw_data_performance_advice/

I've only got a 1080p Tv attached but 4770 & a 1070 and have to turn some settings down but SS I can run at 2 (in game not steam VR) setting and definitely not reprojecting
Had to move back from the beta branch to the stable release of steam vr for the first time since May this weekend though due to performance of the latest beta

Nzyme32

Not sure how many people are interested but Vive support is planned for Obduction, a game by some of the people behind Myst and Riven. Seems to be in a similar vein as those games too

PolishQ

Not sure how many people are interested but Vive support is planned for Obduction, a game by some of the people behind Myst and Riven. Seems to be in a similar vein as those games too

I posted about this above, but yeah, exciting! We'll see if I can keep myself from playing it until Vive support is released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom