• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enordash

I'd quite like to see something like dashing in the direction you move a stick/touch the touchpad. It's the pointing to move bit I really want to go.

I would be down for trying something like this. It could work really well with the clickable touchpad. Given the fact that people have different tolerances with motion sickness, maybe some future games will have multiple options for preferred traversal method.

So the initial teleportation mechanics had to instantly teleport to a location, with the idea being that showing you move in a way your body is not was disorienting.
We're now seeing teleportation where you do actually see the movement, but it just happens quickly and with visual effects to help combat sickness. You're still locked to the movement you initiated as you would with teleportation though, and you can't interact in the same way you can when you're stationary or how you could when moving using a normal locomotion method.
"That" would be tunnelling with free movement and visual effects to help with sickness. This is the best example I've seen of it, and I'm sure it'd work with a more subtle vignetting effect. Then there's the speed thing, which personally I can handle being closer to normal walking speed but it'd be interesting to see if tunnelling alone can combat it and allow basically normal locomotion to work.
Really I just want to get rid of the pointing to move element of it, that's the bit I don't like.

That video is a hell of a thing. I want to try it.

Nothing is suggesting it'll be included for current owners though is it? I've understood it as it'll be a separate purchase, or DLC at best.
If the VR is properly implemented I'm not against paying for it as DLC. Its supposed to support the entirety of the game so I'll still be waiting to touch the DLC until then

I would be down for trying something like this. It could work really well with the clickable touchpad. Given the fact that people have different tolerances with motion sickness, maybe some future games will have multiple options for preferred traversal method.

The difficulty with having options is that the best examples will be designed around one method. Look at Budget Cuts - teleportation works amazingly in that as the mechanics are built around it, but free movement might break it. Similarly if an action game was built around free movement, it might not work very well with teleportation.
I just hope we can come up with a free movement solution that works for the majority of players. It's kind of frustrating as someone who hasn't had any sickness from any of the free motion methods I've tried that it can't just be the standard.

Durante

It'd also have the added bonus (hopefully!) of them fixing their engine. I can't see the current engine working too well with VR considering how erratic it can jump around with the framerate.
Yeah, that will be interesting. Of course, on a high-end PC and with the most erratic settings reduced you can probably get pretty close to what's required with the current version already.

anything else. the only movement I've really enjoyed is hover junkers, everything else I've played has been lame there. As much fun as Raw Data is, the teleporting movement sucks, especially mid fight
Why? Personally, playing Saija, I find the teleporting awesome, especially mid-fight.

I just hope we can come up with a free movement solution that works for the majority of players. It's kind of frustrating as someone who hasn't had any sickness from any of the free motion methods I've tried that it can't just be the standard.
I also don't get sick quickly, but I still prefer teleportation since it's far more immersive than any kind of "realistic" movement speed without me actually moving. Also, I consider teleportation a free movement solution which works for the majority of players.

Fuuuuuuuck. I completely forgot about Fallout 4 in VR. I wonder if it's going to be a separate game we have to buy again. Also... I'm going to have to buy a Vive. I told myself I would wait for gen 2. But oh boy... This is a real thing according to people who played it at Quake Con. A real truly AAA VR experience. Maybe I can convince myself to wait on it. I wonder how long until Vive 2.0.

It's starting to sink in that I'm just not going to be able to have eye tracking and foveated rendering on a 4k HMD for another four or more years. So I just probably grab one within the next year and can always sell and upgrade when a new one is released.

It'd also have the added bonus (hopefully!) of them fixing their engine. I can't see the current engine working too well with VR considering how erratic it can jump around with the framerate.

Nothing is suggesting it'll be included for current owners though is it? I've understood it as it'll be a separate purchase, or DLC at best.

Man, I'd actually take Skyrim ahead of Fallout4, if I had a choice about it :)

what?

Me too, but AFAIK they only talked about Fallout4 and the new Doom.

About the deaths you can bet we will have cases of ppl dying of long VR sessions. Its just a matter of time really.

I bet the first blood will be in a horror game.

Enordash

The difficulty with having options is that the best examples will be designed around one method. Look at Budget Cuts - teleportation works amazingly in that as the mechanics are built around it, but free movement might break it. Similarly if an action game was built around free movement, it might not work very well with teleportation.

I see your point on how options can be for the worse. The experience is so much better when the game is built with the teleportation mechanic in mind.

Games where I enjoy the teleportation: Budget Cuts, Raw Data, QuiVr (if that counts)

Games where I do not: The Gallery, Vertigo

I see your point on how options can be for the worse. The experience is so much better when the game is built with the teleportation mechanic in mind.

Games where I enjoy the teleportation: Budget Cuts, Raw Data, QuiVr (if that counts)

Games where I do not: The Gallery, Vertigo

Yeah, I really hated how teleporting worked in The Gallery. Felt really fiddly and unnatural way to get around the environment.
I think a directional dashing mechanic could work really well in an action game. It solves the issue of having to point to move slowing things down as well as how you can quickly teleport away from the direction you're facing.
Has anything used a system like that?

Durante

I think a directional dashing mechanic could work really well in an action games. It solves the issue of having to point to move slowing things down as well as how you can quickly teleport away from the direction you're facing.
I think I need to make a video of me playing Raw Data if you think teleportation slows things down ;)

I think I need to make a video of me playing Raw Data if you think teleportation slows things down ;)
To be fair - I haven't actually played Raw Data yet, I'm sure it's a lot faster than other implementations of teleportation.
But fundamentally any system where you point and select a place to move to just couldn't work as unobtrusively as using your thumb on a stick or touchpad to constantly have control of the direction you move in.
How does Raw Data handle moving backwards?

Durante

To be fair - I haven't actually played Raw Data yet, I'm sure it's a lot faster than other games implementations of teleportation.
But fundamentally any system where you point and select a place to move to just couldn't work as unobtrusively as using your thumb on a stick or touchpad to constantly have control of the direction you move in.
I'm not sure I agree with that. Traveling to a specific point with the system in Raw Data is probably faster than any kind of direct control system I could imagine -- and usually, your goal when moving is to reach a specific destination.

In fact, teleporting in Raw Data was too good so they had to put a stamina meter on it in the latest patch ;)

To be fair - I haven't actually played Raw Data yet, I'm sure it's a lot faster than other implementations of teleportation.

I think it's an interesting idea, but the tradeoff would be that you wouldn't be able to fine tune where you actually want to go. I also don't think it would be significantly faster than Raw Data's implementation (or Vanishing Realms). It would be the difference between moving on the press of a button as opposed to the press and release of one.

Enordash

I do think you'd have to adjust the level design/mechanics of a game to cater to 'tap a direction to dash' though. In Raw Data, there are low walls scattered around the play area that allow you to take cover from laser fire. With the point to teleport, you are easily able to get to the exact location you need to be to use cover. If you were tapping a direction to dash, would you collide and stop on walls or pass through? Would it be difficult to space out so you stopped in a useful location? Actually, restricting movement to a set distance would make traversing to any one specific point incredibly difficult right?

Edit: GuitarAtomik kinda beat me to the assessment.

the problem I have with teleportation is its too fast. It really makes level design uninteresting. Vanishing realms would have been so much more interesting to explore if you werent teleporting everywhere. Its just a complete immersion breaker

secondly it makes combat less interesting. Teleporting to get closer to an enemy to get that last sword slash in to kill them is weird and uninteresting. Dodging via teleportation is absurdly easy. Stamina in Raw Data might help (havent played since that patch), but I dont feel like teleportation will ever scratch the itch im looking for in movement and immersion

Enordash

the problem I have with teleportation is its too fast. It really makes level design uninteresting. Vanishing realms would have been so much more interesting to explore if you werent teleporting everywhere. Its just a complete immersion breaker

secondly it makes combat less interesting. Teleporting to get closer to an enemy to get that last sword slash in to kill them is weird and uninteresting. Dodging via teleportation is absurdly easy. Stamina in Raw Data might help (havent played since that patch), but I dont feel like teleportation will ever scratch the itch im looking for in movement and immersion

Another example is how much teleportation hinders paintball in Rec Room. It's fun to mess around with for an hour, but honestly, it feels cheap and unfair most of the time. I'd also say that teleportation actively sucks for dodgeball in Rec Room. Will that style of movement ever really work for a pvp environment?

the problem I have with teleportation is its too fast. It really makes level design uninteresting. Vanishing realms would have been so much more interesting to explore if you werent teleporting everywhere. Its just a complete immersion breaker.

IMO, games where the act of transversal is a big part of the gameplay (a la Vanishing Realms) should REALLY be using Walkabout locomotion, not teleportation.

IMO, games where the act of transversal is a big part of the gameplay (a la Vanishing Realms) should REALLY be using Walkabout locomotion, not teleportation.
yea, I'd like to see devs experiment with walkabout methods that avoid motion sickness. Cockpit games and by sort've extension hover junkers avoid the issue by grounding your movement on something else. I'm wondering what ways could trick the mind of someone that gets motion sickness

Maybe movement lines like raw data but slowed down would help.

Its hard for me to toss out many ideas as I'm completely immune to motion sickness in VR, having tested several walkabout movements with no issues.

yea, I'd like to see devs experiment with walkabout methods that avoid motion sickness. Cockpit games and by sort've extension hover junkers avoid the issue by grounding your movement on something else. I'm wondering what ways could trick the mind of someone that gets motion sickness

Maybe movement lines like raw data but slowed down would help.

Its hard for me to toss out many ideas as I'm completely immune to motion sickness in VR, having tested several walkabout movements with no issues.

Sorry, I don't think we're talking about the same thing.

By Walkabout, I'm referring very specifically to a system where you hold down a button to lock the world in place, and then spin around to continue walking. You can try it out in Cosmic Wandering. No motion sickness for anyone because you're always walking everywhere with your own feet.

Tain

Cockpit games and by sort've extension hover junkers avoid the issue by grounding your movement on something else.

The prevalence of this idea is such a fascinating thing to me, as while I don't feel much motion sickness at all in VR, rolling around in space sims is actually among the least comfortable things I've done. It makes me wonder if I'm less susceptible to cockpits "grounding" me than others, but I suspect that intense cockpit movement is actually less comfortable than non-cockpit rotation-free acceleration-light artificial locomotion and many people simply haven't tried the latter.

I guess that's my hottest VR take.

As an option sure. But walkabout isn't ever going to work for people with little space.

Y'know, I hate to cut people out, but I really hope we start seeing games that require larger play areas to work. I just feel like there's tons of gameplay/traversal possibilities that we can't explore if everything has to work in tiny play spaces.

Walkabout is one example. Unseen Diplomacy's Redirected Walking is another. As are games that simply take place in a single area, but still require a lot of movement from the player.

I realize this sucks for people with smaller play spaces, and I say this as someone who will probably be moving into an apartment with very little space in the near future. I just feel like if we keep designing everything for the minimum room size, we're going to be stuck with teleportation (or joystick/touchpad movement) forever.

Zalusithix

One possible solution to the dodge problem: teleportation when enemies are close has a charge up time forcing a physical dodge. Alternatively with a "stamina" system, it could cost (much) more to perform. Finally you could merge both ideas where you can perform a standard cost stamina teleport that'll be slow to charge, or a fast/instant charging one that'll cost more.

By Walkabout, I'm referring very specifically to a system where you hold down a button to lock the world in place, and then spin around to continue walking. You can try it out in Cosmic Wandering. No motion sickness for anyone because you're always walking everywhere with your own feet.
oh yea, I figured you meant basically analog movement, id never heard of this walkabout system. Its clever, but I dont think it seems very functional for a long game, and especially not a fast paced game

oh yea, I figured you meant basically analog movement, id never heard of this walkabout system. Its clever, but I dont think it seems very functional for a long game, and especially not a fast paced game

Assuming you have a decently sized play area, I encourage you to actually try it out. I thought it was a lot less annoying in practice than in the video. You can spin around pretty quickly, so you still spend most of your time walking.

Of course, the problem with a movement system that requires you to walk everywhere is that it requires you to, well, walk everywhere. IRL walk speed is a lot slower than what most games use. So the game has to be designed with that in mind: you need smaller but tighter environments.

I've been using Walkabout a lot lately in Vivecraft. When I go outside, I teleport, but I rely on WalkAbout for moving around my in-game house.

Assuming you have a decently sized play area, I encourage you to actually try it out. I thought it was a lot less annoying in practice than in the video. You can spin around pretty quickly, so you still spend most of your time walking.

Of course, the problem with a movement system that requires you to walk everywhere is that it requires you to, well, walk everywhere. IRL walk speed is a lot slower than what most games use. So the game has to be designed with that in mind: you need smaller but tighter environments.

I've been using Walkabout a lot lately in Vivecraft. When I go outside, I teleport, but I rely on WalkAbout for moving around inside of my in-game house.
though if you just want some exercise pacing around your house, someone could make a "game" thats just pretty environments to walk through, add in a step counter and BAM, exercise game

dsk1210

Why is there not just redeem codes in the vive box for the steam games that you are supposed to get free?

5 days later and I am still waiting, not very cool when you don't have much to play around with.

Samemind

WOO! Coming off of my first Vive session at home with my newly installed 980ti and it was quite pleasant. In spite of bumbling around, finagling the headset and trying not to knock into anything; after 3 nights and a fresh OS install; using a ghetto setup of standing VR with bases just sitting on the tallest, opposite-place furniture in the room; with the floor a damn mess because I just kinda put stuff wherever I found space while unpacking and setting up.

Can't wait to mount the base stations and setup room scale! What's some cool stuff I could be looking at that's not just simply found in the steam store?

Enordash

I got back to Raw Data last night for the first time since the patch. Feels like there have been lots of improvements in general. Is there any way to go back to a single pistol after you unlock dual's or turn off the proximity reload? Bishop is even more ridiculously OP in comparison to Saija now. Trying to swat drones down with the sword continues to be incredibly un-fun.

This looks incredibly interesting. Is there any trick to getting it up and running or is it a smooth process? I'd like to try it out tonight.

As an option sure. But walkabout isn't ever going to work for people with little space.

Walkabout would also be difficult to implement in an official capacity on the Rift right? I know that room scale has been tinkered with unofficially, but I'm just worried about the further segmentation of the VR market. I'm in the privileged position of having both, but the dream is for broad compatibility.

Durante

I got back to Raw Data last night for the first time since the patch. Feels like there have been lots of improvements in general. Is there any way to go back to a single pistol after you unlock dual's or turn off the proximity reload? Bishop is even more ridiculously OP in comparison to Saija now. Trying to swat drones down with the sword continues to be incredibly un-fun.
I'm actually rather good at it now. Recently hit two of them with a single throw. Still a lot harder of course.

Walkabout would also be difficult to implement in an official capacity on the Rift right?
Given that Touch is still officially 180°, tons of Vive games are basically impossible to implement in an official capacity on it as far as I can see.

Walkabout would also be difficult to implement in an official capacity on the Rift right? I know that room scale has been tinkered with unofficially, but I'm just worried about the further segmentation of the VR market. I'm in the privileged position of having both, but the dream is for broad compatibility.

Officially - no, they're marketing it for 180 degree tracking. But whether or not it's officially supported doesn't seem to matter all that much as technically as long as your camera positions give the level of coverage required there's nothing stopping a developer from supporting both - it'll just work. Might just mean they can't get a 360 degree only game on the Oculus Home store.
It being unofficial seems to largely mean that they're not making it as easy as possible to set it up like that - shorter cables, cameras not being particularly well designed for mounting etc. Still entirely possible though, as developers have confirmed.

Why is there not just redeem codes in the vive box for the steam games that you are supposed to get free?

5 days later and I am still waiting, not very cool when you don't have much to play around with.

Have you contacted them? Pretty sure people here have said they didn't get on straight after it was shipped, but after contacting them they got one pretty quickly.

I do think you'd have to adjust the level design/mechanics of a game to cater to 'tap a direction to dash' though. In Raw Data, there are low walls scattered around the play area that allow you to take cover from laser fire. With the point to teleport, you are easily able to get to the exact location you need to be to use cover. If you were tapping a direction to dash, would you collide and stop on walls or pass through? Would it be difficult to space out so you stopped in a useful location? Actually, restricting movement to a set distance would make traversing to any one specific point incredibly difficult right?

Edit: GuitarAtomik kinda beat me to the assessment.

Well it'd stop at an obstacle. The distance of one quick dash would be limited, but it could easily just let you go further by holding the stick/touchpad in that direction, then you stop where you want to. It'd effectively just be like free movement in a non-VR game.
I'm not suggesting it would fit perfectly into Raw Data, but I can see it working for something similar.

Melon Husk

Daydream labs have dog poker but are not sharing it, those scoundrels.

https://developers.googleblog.com/2016/08/daydream-labs-positive-social.html

Google explores troll prevention in VR

edit:
xkEmyn.gif

Enordash

Officially - no, they're marketing it for 180 degree tracking. But whether or not it's officially supported doesn't seem to matter all that much as technically as long as your camera positions give the level of coverage required there's nothing stopping a developer from supporting both - it'll just work. Might just mean they can't get a 360 degree only game on the Oculus Home store.
It being unofficial seems to largely mean that they're not making it as easy as possible to set it up like that - shorter cables, cameras not being particularly well designed for mounting etc. Still entirely possible though, as developers have confirmed.

Perhaps I'm underestimating people's willingness to jump through extra hoops to get these things working.

I'm actually rather good at it now. Recently hit two of them with a single throw. Still a lot harder of course.

I'm getting better at it, but it still feels pretty 50/50 for the long throws. I was also pretty bad at getting a consistently placed knife throw in Budget Cuts though so maybe it's just me, lol. Are the drones affected by Saija's telekinesis? I haven't unlocked it yet. I still wish you could pull them toward you with the Gravity Thrust. Might lead to me smacking my ceiling more though.

Given that Touch is still officially 180°, tons of Vive games are basically impossible to implement in an official capacity on it as far as I can see.

I was thinking that you might be able to get away with a 180° orientation flip button, but that would probably get frustrating and wouldn't be realistic for a game that requires a lot of active movement like Holopoint.

Perhaps I'm underestimating people's willingness to jump through extra hoops to get these things working.
Yeah, if cable length and mounting are issues (and assuming that they're not going to be doing anything with the final versions of the second camera to help with that), it will probably be a minority that do it.
But still, if it's easy enough for developers to at least enable the option for Rift owners, they're probably going to do it since it makes sense to do anything that expands their user base by even a bit while VR remains relatively niche.

Tain

At this point it's basically a matter of "Oculus official" vs "Valve official". Roomscale software officially works on the Rift according to Valve but not Oculus.

Wrestlemania said:
But still, if it's easy enough for developers to at least enable the option for Rift owners, they're probably going to do it since it makes sense to do anything that expands their user base by even a bit while VR remains relatively niche.

Developers have to do literally nothing to support Rift roomscale, so I doubt we'll see anything Vive-only.

Enordash

Developers have to do literally nothing to support Rift roomscale, so I doubt we'll see anything Vive-only.

I'm fine with this. I hope Home officially opens up to other HMDs in the future as well. I'm already sick of my friends arguing back and forth.

Has any news come from the Budget Cuts team since they've been working in the Valve office? Perhaps that's no longer the case?

kinggroin

Banned
Another example is how much teleportation hinders paintball in Rec Room. It's fun to mess around with for an hour, but honestly, it feels cheap and unfair most of the time. I'd also say that teleportation actively sucks for dodgeball in Rec Room. Will that style of movement ever really work for a pvp environment?

Can't agree about paintball. The cool down and bullet nullifiers (when clipping) allow it to work fine without feeling like you can exploit it. Maybe an option that "zooms" your player to the next spot ala Raw Data, allowing you to stay vulnerable while traveling to the teleported area?

Paganmoon

Can't agree about paintball. The cool down and bullet nullifiers (when clipping) allow it to work fine without feeling like you can exploit it. Maybe an option that "zooms" your player to the next spot ala Raw Data, allowing you to stay vulnerable while traveling to the teleported area?

Yeah, I don't see a problem with the teleport in Rec Room's paintball, the cooldown is enough that it can't really be overused.
I think your ide of "zooming" a player to the teleport area, while perhaps a good mechanic, won't make you vulnerable, considering the paintballs travel so slow. You'll already be at your destination before the balls have really left the other players marker.
Besides, I'm pretty sure you can see an outline of where a person is teleporting to, before they teleport, or have I been imagining that?

Bio-Frost

Its in your spam box. I though i didnt have it too till i checked their. They had sent it the day after i made the order.

"Wonder if it's doable with say CS:GO and the like as well."

There's no reason why it wouldn't work just as well with CSGO. There's lots of interior angles, but if the cameramen are controlling the camera like is showcased in the Battlerite trailer, it shouldn't be an issue.

kinggroin

Banned
Yeah, I don't see a problem with the teleport in Rec Room's paintball, the cooldown is enough that it can't really be overused.
I think your ide of "zooming" a player to the teleport area, while perhaps a good mechanic, won't make you vulnerable, considering the paintballs travel so slow. You'll already be at your destination before the balls have really left the other players marker.
Besides, I'm pretty sure you can see an outline of where a person is teleporting to, before they teleport, or have I been imagining that?

No you're correct.

What I would like, is swinging your arms kind of locomotion, as an option, and have it be independent of your head. So wherever your dominant hand is aiming, when you start performing the jogging motion, that's where you'll run to. Make it so you have to swing back and forth pretty hard to avoid false detection when you're in the middle of battling. This system will allow you strafe while never losing sight of someone.

Only thing is, it won't work well I don't think when mixed with other players doing teleport.

Enordash

Maybe my main problem with teleporting in paintball stems from it ceasing to feel like real paintball. I realize Rec Room is not striving for a sim experience or anything and I shouldn't expect this. I suppose it's fine for a game of wacky shoot-tag.

Zalusithix

Maybe my main problem with teleporting in paintball stems from it ceasing to feel like real paintball. I realize Rec Room is not striving for a sim experience or anything and I shouldn't expect this. I suppose it's fine for a game of wacky shoot-tag.

Until everybody is wearing haptic suits that recreate the feeling of getting hit by a paintball at close range, it'll never truly feel like real paintball. ;) Oh, and emulation of paintball breakage in the gun leading to stray shots in addition to all the other minor things that can happen.

As long as you're breaking from reality in one aspect, you might as well go all the way and go with whatever works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom