• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhayze

You do need to mount a wheel to something like a desk. Don't use it on your lap or whatever.

Personally I don't regret my T300 wheel. It makes sim racing games much more enjoyable

Do you still play racing games in VR with a controller? Are you finding it fine? A wheel seems a no-brainier for immersion and presence but setup might need me to buy another desk, or a wheel stand pro which is more expensive than the wheel.. And move it in/out of the tracked space when I'm playing. Might result in me hardly using it

I can't believe it took me this long to dust off my G27, install Windows 10 drivers and hook it up in combination with VR.

The G27 was still mounted on my Wheel Stand Pro (very highly recommended, nearly as nice as dedicated rig and folds neatly out of the way with everything organized). All I can say is that the combination with Project Cars is WOW! Just played about 4 hours with only short 5 minute breaks between races, and the feeling of immersion is just fantastic. I tried playing with a controller first, so glad I switched to the wheel, I feel 10 times better about both the game and also about ever having bought a wheel + stand. I am a big car nut in real life, but Gran Turismo (despite buying every one ever made) never really pulled me in like this. As a bonus, within about 10 minutes I was able to navigate the interface completely using the buttons + d pad on the wheel shifter assembly just by feel. Only had to bind the escape key using the logitech software.

This is absolutely a killer VR app for anyone who likes racing sims (in combination with a good wheel). As a bonus, no motion sickness, with the exception of laguna seca - the massive elevation changes and high g-forces minus the actual feeling of inertia actually gave me a minor queasy stomach (that's what you get after several hours of the same track).

I can't believe it took me this long to dust off my G27, install Windows 10 drivers and hook it up in combination with VR.

The G27 was still mounted on my Wheel Stand Pro (very highly recommended, nearly as nice as dedicated rig and folds neatly out of the way with everything organized). All I can say is that the combination with Project Cars is WOW! Just played about 4 hours with only short 5 minute breaks between races, and the feeling of immersion is just fantastic. I tried playing with a controller first, so glad I switched to the wheel, I feel 10 times better about both the game and also about ever having bought a wheel + stand. I am a big car nut in real life, but Gran Turismo (despite buying every one ever made) never really pulled me in like this. As a bonus, within about 10 minutes I was able to navigate the interface completely using the buttons + d pad on the wheel shifter assembly just by feel. Only had to bind the escape key using the logitech software.

This is absolutely a killer VR app for anyone who likes racing sims (in combination with a good wheel). As a bonus, no motion sickness, with the exception of laguna seca - the massive elevation changes and high g-forces minus the actual feeling of inertia actually gave me a minor queasy stomach (that's what you get after several hours of the same track).

Next up for you: Dirt Rally. You won't regret it.

xD

Before playing it I thought Dirt Rally would be weird with a wheel in VR as it defaults to keep your vision aligned with the horizon, so if you drive up or down hill the virtual wheel isn't where you are holding the real wheel. Turns out this isn't an immersion breaker for me. But what I didn't expect was that you get a better sense of how steep the climb/drop is because you are looking up/down yourself.

dsk1210

Zombie Training Simulator is awesome.

Point Blank by Namco is what it reminds me off, had a ton of fun with this,the guns are fantastic feeling, I feel very accurate with them.

Good game to give in the new bundle, I think people will really enjoy this.

Zombie Training Simulator is awesome.

Point Blank by Namco is what it reminds me off, had a ton of fun with this,the guns are fantastic feeling, I feel very accurate with them.

Good game to give in the new bundle, I think people will really enjoy this.

I own all of the "zombie shooter" games and this is the one I find myself coming back to most since it's the only one that doesn't freak me out >.<

taoofjord

My GTX 1080 (Gigabyte G1) arrives on Thursday and I'm really excited to start supersampling.

I know that the starting recommendation is 2.5 and then go up or down in .1 increments but from a few impressions I've read from users with a 1080 it sounds like ~1.7 is more realistic and 1.4 is the sweet spot for IQ and consistency across all games. Does that sound right?

pj

Banned
My GTX 1080 (Gigabyte G1) arrives on Thursday and I'm really excited to start supersampling.

I know that the starting recommendation is 2.5 and then go up or down in .1 increments but from a few impressions I've read from users with a 1080 it sounds like ~1.7 is more realistic and 1.4 is the sweet spot for IQ and consistency across all games. Does that sound right?

Yeah I don't think 2.5 is reasonable at all. 1.4 is a good "set it and forget it" value. You'd be able to up it a little in some games but I doubt the effect would be huge.

Anyone who has 2.5 is almost certainly in constant reprojection mode, and it is extreme overkill. That would be: 2160*1200 *(2.5 * 1.4)^2 = basically as many pixels as 8k resolution. 4 times as many pixels as 4k.

SomTervo

So this game Dig 4 Destruction came out today and it's pretty cool.

4 player deathmatch where you dig around (literally) in destructible voxel terrain. Very unique and simple fun concept, really polished, AI bots, unlocks, a lobby with enough toys to rival Rec Room. I recommend it.

This is awesome, thanks!

I'm super hyped for Island 359 or whatever, the dinosaur Tresspasser-ey one out next week (on the 23rd?).

I'm starting to wish I got the Vive instead of the Rift simply for the motion controllers and room scale. Although I've been enjoying the exclusives and I still get that vr experience I just feel I'm missing out on the definitive VR experience.

Is the Vive really that uncomfortable to wear? That was one of the deciding factors when it came to me choosing the Rift. Should I hold off until the touch controllers or dive into Vive now?

jaypah

I'm starting to wish I got the Vive instead of the Rift simply for the motion controllers and room scale. Although I've been enjoying the exclusives and I still get that vr experience I just feel I'm missing out on the definitive VR experience.

Is the Vive really that uncomfortable to wear? That was one of the deciding factors when it came to me choosing the Rift. Should I hold off until the touch controllers or dive into Vive now?

In a perfect world you would be able to demo the Vive. I bought it without trying it because after a year or so with a DK2 I wanted roomscale and tracked controllers.
I was a legit Oculus supporter and one day I just did a complete 180. I don't find the Vive to be uncomfortable but I haven't tried a CV Rift so I can't directly compare them. I will say that having it on has never hindered my immersion and tracked controllers with roomscale is something that still trips me out several months later. Going from a sitting experience with my DK2 to a standing/walking experience with tracked controllers was like night and day for me and honestly at that time I should have been jaded with VR alltogether but it reinvigorated my interest in VR instead.

While I'm certainly happy I went with Vive, if you already own a rift I would probably hold off until Touch comes out, or at least until we know more about what touch is/how it performs. I've got to say, I'm pretty envious of the fact that it has a joystick. Having to pull out my Wii U Pro controller (what I use instead of a 360 controller) every time I want to play a game like Lucky's Tale that needs them is super annoying.

Also consider space. I'm kind of amazed at how many Vive owners are using it in the minimum room size. Like, I'm sure it's plenty of fun, but geez, I currently have 4x4 and seeing the chaperone pop up is STILL freaking annoying.

Edit: I would describe the Vive as neither particularly comfortable nor particularly uncomfortable. Which is to say that it could definitely be improved, but it's not a consistent bother either. I'm not sure how much that helps... I'm sure that what you really want is a comparison to the Rift, but I've only ever used DK2, and that was long enough ago that I don't really remember what it felt like.

Zalusithix

VR without tracked controllers is indeed indeed half of the picture. That's not to say that good experiences can't be had without them (there are many available), but with the headset alone, the medium's potential is reduced greatly. IMO the move from headset only VR to tracked controller VR is a bigger change-up than from non-VR to VR.

The controllers don't really augment the VR experience to make it better; they instead transform it entirely. Things become possible that simply weren't before. Interaction undergoes a paradigm shift. How much a person takes to the experiences this enables will vary, but I don't think I've seen anybody go back to solely sit down experiences after having the option.

As for the Vive's comfort, it's not comfortable, and there's plenty of improvements they can make to the design, but I wouldn't peg it as actively uncomfortable either. It's there, and you'll never forget you're wearing it, but it's rarely enough to detract from the experience. Heat and sweat can potentially be a thing, but that'll happen with any device strapped to your face while you're exerting yourself. That said, ultimately the comfort is going to be rather subjective. People have different tolerances for weight and pressure in addition to having wildly different shaped and sized heads/faces. The Vive will never win an award for comfort, but how far down the scale it falls will come down to the individual.

Also consider space. I'm kind of amazed at how many Vive owners are using it in the minimum room size. Like, I'm sure it's plenty of fun, but geez, I currently have 4x4 and seeing the chaperone pop up is STILL freaking annoying.
Visually, the key to a small space is dev mode chaperone with always on floor boundaries at their lowest opacity. Then it never pops up. You're still limited to the size of your play space, but you can reach out and not have the walls show up. You just have to know your space well enough that you're not going to smack something because of the lack of walls.

derFeef

I'll give it a shot :)
I actually tried pCars yesteday and I felt REALLY small in that car, or the car with me. I tried the scaling slider but it did nothing for me. The positioning helped a bit, but I still feel like I am sitting in a micro machines car...

I'll give it a shot :)
I actually tried pCars yesteday and I felt REALLY small in that car, or the car with me. I tried the scaling slider but it did nothing for me. The positioning helped a bit, but I still feel like I am sitting in a micro machines car...

Strange that scaling didn't do anything for you, because while the initial settings makes me feel huge, I can set it to something that makes me feel like I am in a regular car (or even an oversized one).

SomTervo

Roomscale and hand-controllers is an absolute gamechanger. If you're really champing at the bit, I'd say sell your Rift and order a Vive. However, more responsible advice is to wait because:

1. There might be a new Vive version by the end of the year (likely not long into 2017 at least) and it will probably be vastly improved over the first version.

2. Vive's controllers are absolutely brilliant but the Touch controllers might beat them, you never know.

I think it needs more tweaking to get it comfortable, but I think ANY VR headset gets uncomfortable after 30-60 minutes.

You really need to consider space. I have 2 metres by 3 metres in my front room but due to the room's layout/angle the Vive's system can barely register 2x2m. Usually it's more like 1.8m x 2m.

Definitely set some space aside for it.

Durante

Is the Vive really that uncomfortable to wear?
No. It's not particularly comfortable, but the difference between it and the Rift CV1 in that regard is overstated IMHO.

Anyway, I think with comfort you always also have to take into account functionality. For example, PSVR is praised a lot for its comfort, but I'm not sure that type of system would work well on something used for active 360° stuff like the Vive is. Form follows function and all that.

Zalusithix

Anyway, I think with comfort you always also have to take into account functionality. For example, PSVR is praised a lot for its comfort, but I'm not sure that type of system would work well on something used for active 360° stuff like the Vive is. Form follows function and all that.

On one hand, extra weight from a rigid head mount leads to additional inertia which is bad while whipping your head around. On the other hand, the rigid mount can distribute that force over a larger, less sensitive surface area. It's probably a wash in functionality, but with the comfort edge going to the rigid mount. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a rigid mount for the next gen of both PCVR headsets.

You really need to consider space. I have 2 metres by 3 metres in my front room but due to the room's layout/angle the Vive's system can barely register 2x2m. Usually it's more like 1.8m x 2m.

If you use advanced setup to define your room, you can have shapes that are not just rectangles, if you want to utilize your space a bit better.

Enordash

I'm definitely going to have to change chaperone for Audioshield. I have no idea why that game doesn't let you reorient it on the fly. Changing the initial room setup doesn't really solve my problem either. I need to be able to back up to the edge of the space and recenter it.

Zalusithix

I'm definitely going to have to change chaperone for Audioshield. I have no idea why that game doesn't let you reorient it on the fly. Changing the initial room setup doesn't really solve my problem either. I need to be able to back up to the edge of the space and recenter it.

Audioshield is pretty much a stand in place experience. Why would you need to change the chaperone for it? Even the smallest play space should be good to go without chaperone issues.

Paganmoon

So Anyone tried Acan's Call? the "floaty" controls really annoy the hell out of me. Like I'm holding a sword with a rubber grip or something. It felt like a poor copy of Vanishing Realms. Free though, so can't complain about that.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
So I just tried Vive for the first time.....holy shit!!!

Going from dk2 to a good Vive setup was quite the experience. Had no idea how much progress has been made on the controls and in tracking technology.

I was on the fence between oculus and Vive but now there is no way I can pass on HTC's offering. That bow and arrow demo :0

So I just tried Vive for the first time.....holy shit!!!

Going from dk2 to a good Vive setup was quite the experience. Had no idea how much progress has been made on the controls and in tracking technology.

I was on the fence between oculus and Vive but now there is no way I can pass on HTC's offering. That bow and arrow demo :0

Just tried it out myself at a Microsoft store. Wowsers. The level of immersion was crazy, I had to remember I can move around and stuff since with the rift in usually just sitting passively. I def wish I got the vive instead. Although the headset is definitely heavier I appreciated the cushion on the headset and I thought the FOV was better too. I'm wondering if the Rift will eventually give me the same level of immersion when the touch drops.

I might just buy the vive now and sell the rift, that's how impressed I was!

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Just tried it out myself at a Microsoft store. Wowsers. The level of immersion was crazy, I had to remember I can move around and stuff since with the rift in usually just sitting passively. I def wish I got the vive instead. Although the headset is definitely heavier I appreciated the cushion on the headset and I thought the FOV was better too. I'm wondering if the Rift will eventually give me the same level of immersion when the touch drops.

I might just buy the vive now and sell the rift, that's how impressed I was!

It really is amazing. I tried that Apperture science demo, and I felt like tony stark while playing around with the iron man suit.

I just kept staring at the all the textures and and how well things that I was holding responded to my every move. Amazing!

If you get a chance try Tiltbrush! Oculus has a similar app which I want to try at some point, it's called Medium.

kinggroin

Banned
Went from a 970 to a 1070.. made no difference to the performance in some games (Rec Room, Raw Data, the Blu) and in a couple, things got worse (Lucky's Tales, Waltz of the Wizard).

I also still get constant reprojection in The Lab in the slingshot game. Wtf.

Is it my AMD FX 8350?

Evo X

Went from a 970 to a 1070.. made no difference to the performance in some games (Rec Room, Raw Data, the Blu) and in a couple, things got worse (Lucky's Tales, Waltz of the Wizard).

I also still get constant reprojection in The Lab in the slingshot game. Wtf.

Is it my AMD FX 8350?

Yes. That CPU is horribly bottlenecking the 1070.

SimplexPL

AMD CPUs and VR are not a good combination. And AMD GPUs too, if [H]ardOCP is to be believed:

1471212431hGa2P82Aft_6_2_l.png

SimplexPL

Which ones? AMD CPUs are notoriously poor at single threading performance (not to mention power hungry - they are still manufacturing them at 32/28nm process node)

[H]ardOCP is one of few (if not only one) non-VR specialized site that benchmarks VR games, they started recently and already tested Raw Data, Gallery, Trials on Tatooine and Robot Repair:
http://www.hardocp.com/reviews/vr/

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Audioshield is not a real rhythm game.

Durante

It's a great thing that HardOCP are doing these VR benchmarks, even though they are really not good at interpreting their results.

(E.g. there seems to be this huge mystery on why AMD cards suck quite that much in the Aperture Robot Repair scene, even though it uses dynamic scaling -- the answer is simple: it's OpenGL)

Zalusithix

Audioshield is not a real rhythm game.

If you're talking about the orb-music mismatch, that is the price paid for being able to use any song with no human interaction. As it stands, sometimes it does fairly well. Sometimes it's a complete flop. You basically have to curate a library of songs that it does well on out of your overall music collection.

Getting something extremely accurate in a consistent manner would involve using AI to interpret the songs and that AI would likely have to be trained on specific data sets (genres) to boot. This would be vastly more complex to implement (far outside of the capabilities of an indie dev) and require a hell of a lot more computational power. Forget generating the level in a few seconds before it starts. On the average person's computer you'd be looking at dedicated library analysis pass done outside of the game where it slowly makes its way through selected songs.

If you're talking about the randomized nature where you can never learn a song's level by heart and commit it muscle memory, I'm fairly sure you can mod out the random seed responsible for that.

Enordash

Audioshield is pretty much a stand in place experience. Why would you need to change the chaperone for it? Even the smallest play space should be good to go without chaperone issues.

I needed to turn the chaperone off so it didn't pop up every time I swung my controllers out. Turns out this is super easy so it's fine in the end.

Zalusithix

I needed to turn the chaperone off so it didn't pop up every time I swung my controllers out. Turns out this is super easy so it's fine in the end.

Hmm, perhaps I've been playing with it in dev mode for so long that I forgot how soon the walls pop up by default. It was one of the first things I did when setting up the first day. All the wall versions annoyed me, so I just got rid of them all together. Hasn't been an issue either with the ground border always on. The only thing I've ever hit in the heat of the moment is my ceiling lol. I have lightly touched outside of my virtual walls, but those were situations where I knew I was pushing it.

Of course I also have it set so there's a foot or so between the chaperone boundary and the actual physical world. Gives me more leeway when estimating the walls from the ground.

Enordash

Hmm, perhaps I've been playing with it in dev mode for so long that I forgot how soon the walls pop up by default. It was one of the first things I did when setting up the first day. All the wall versions annoyed me, so I just got rid of them all together. Hasn't been an issue either with the ground border always on. The only thing I've ever hit in the heat of the moment is my ceiling lol. I have lightly touched outside of my virtual walls, but those were situations where I knew I was pushing it.

Of course I also have it set so there's a foot or so between the chaperone boundary and the actual physical world. Gives me more leeway when estimating the walls from the ground.

I wish I had the space to do that. I don't meet the 2m x 2m requirement for some games with the boundary set right against the walls/desks in the room. I've had many unfortunate occurrences already while demoing it to family and friends, lol. I'd only be comfortable setting it to dev mode for myself. Someday I'll convince the fiance to rearrange that room for a better room-scale experience. All said, it's only a minor inconvenience.

SimplexPL

It's a great thing that HardOCP are doing these VR benchmarks, even though they are really not good at interpreting their results.
Maybe you can point it out to them in the comments. They are pretty active on the discussion board (HardForum).

(E.g. there seems to be this huge mystery on why AMD cards suck quite that much in the Aperture Robot Repair scene, even though it uses dynamic scaling -- the answer is simple: it's OpenGL)
I did not know that :)

Nzyme32

"Portal Stories: Mel" team are now an Indie studio - making a new VR game:

The future of Prism Studios and our next game!
18 AUGUST - ANNA

Hey everyone!

We're incredibly excited to announce that we've made the leap from mod team to an indie studio!
Recently we've started to work on our first brand new game!

The game is called DR01D!

13988079_1589546664672868_6737760248191041166_o.jpg

DR01D is a VR first person puzzle game with a strong narrative, based around solving puzzles simultaneously alongside robot companions who you direct about the map to help you complete tasks, retrieve objects etc. The game takes place in the future, you are part of an advanced AI tasked with fixing your space station after it suffered damage during a meteor storm that has wiped out life on Earth. You will do training puzzles before going down to and fix the station. We're still very early in production so we don't have too many more details to share with you!

14047200_1589546668006201_6966108729343229286_o.jpg

We did an interview with Games NI, where you can get a bit more information about DR01D and the team:
http://gamesni.com/news/2016/8/17/prism-studios

Feel free to follow us on our social media:
https://www.facebook.com/PrismStudiosUK
https://twitter.com/prismstudiosUK

And for DR01D specifically:
https://www.facebook.com/DR01DGame
https://twitter.com/DR01DGame

taoofjord

Anyone able to run Oculus Dreamdeck through revive without performance issues? It's super choppy on my 1080 while the other Oculus games I've tried run well.

Enordash

That's good news, Portal Stories VR was probably the best free thing I played on the Vive outside of The Lab.

Tried this last night. I would definitely recommend it. I either want a longer, more complex version of this or a full new Portal VR game from Valve directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom