• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enordash

Until everybody is wearing haptic suits that recreate the feeling of getting hit by a paintball at close range, it'll never truly feel like real paintball. ;) Oh, and emulation of paintball breakage in the gun leading to stray shots in addition to all the other minor things that can happen.

As long as you're breaking from reality in one aspect, you might as well go all the way and go with whatever works.

I'm not trying to say it needs to hit a 1:1 point with real-life paintball. I'm just arguing that teleportation may not be the best fit in the long run when trying to emulate that sport in the same way teleportation doesn't really fit with dodgeball either. I understand that there are many limitations in VR and this could possibly be the best solution at this time. I also understand that a more accurate to real life locomotion technique could actually detract from the fun of the game.

Paganmoon

Until everybody is wearing haptic suits that recreate the feeling of getting hit by a paintball at close range, it'll never truly feel like real paintball. ;) Oh, and emulation of paintball breakage in the gun leading to stray shots in addition to all the other minor things that can happen.

As long as you're breaking from reality in one aspect, you might as well go all the way and go with whatever works.

totally agreed with bolded. Besides, one of the aspects I loved about paintball was running into cover, or sliding in. artificial locomotion still won't give that, and imo, will make positioning at cover harder. Besides, imo, artificial locomotion makes you much more prone to actually just standing still, and not using your room scale movement.

And paintballs even at range are no joke, man I remember all the bruises I used to have after games on speedball courses. We lost our left side once, and a guy circled in and got behind, hit me right in the jaw, just behind my mask, couldn't chew for shit rest of that day.

Enordash

totally agreed with bolded. Besides, one of the aspects I loved about paintball was running into cover, or sliding in. artificial locomotion still won't give that, and imo, will make positioning at cover harder. Besides, imo, artificial locomotion makes you much more prone to actually just standing still, and not using your room scale movement.

And paintballs even at range are no joke, man I remember all the bruises I used to have after games on speedball courses. We lost our left side once, and a guy circled in and got behind, hit me right in the jaw, just behind my mask, couldn't chew for shit rest of that day.

I still feel like a major part of paintball is the risk/reward in going for better positioning. With no vulnerability in between, a lot is lost for me. I shouldn't be complaining so much about a free game. It's a fun distraction for a while. It is making me miss speedball though.

Zalusithix

Yeah, getting hit even at moderate range can leave bruises, especially on the more tender areas of the body. On a similar note, I never understood why some would play with purposefully exposed skin (shorts, etc).

taoofjord

So the initial teleportation mechanics had to instantly teleport to a location, with the idea being that showing you move in a way your body is not was disorienting.
We're now seeing teleportation where you do actually see the movement, but it just happens quickly and with visual effects to help combat sickness. You're still locked to the movement you initiated as you would with teleportation though, and you can't interact in the same way you can when you're stationary or how you could when moving using a normal locomotion method.
"That" would be tunnelling with free movement and visual effects to help with sickness. This is the best example I've seen of it, and I'm sure it'd work with a more subtle vignetting effect. Then there's the speed thing, which personally I can handle being closer to normal walking speed but it'd be interesting to see if tunnelling alone can combat it and allow basically normal locomotion to work.
Really I just want to get rid of the pointing to move element of it, that's the bit I don't like.

Wow, I had yet to see this kind of traversal system. It looks promising, I'd love to give it a try.

pj

Banned
I still feel like a major part of paintball is the risk/reward in going for better positioning. With no vulnerability in between, a lot is lost for me. I shouldn't be complaining so much about a free game. It's a fun distraction for a while. It is making me miss speedball though.

That's only an issue if the better position is within 1 teleport radius. If it's more than one, there is a time where you will be out in the open

Enordash

Wow, I had yet to see this kind of traversal system. It looks promising, I'd love to give it a try.

I tried Cosmic Wandering. I have ~3m of walking space from one end to the other within my bounds, and this still felt pretty restrictive. This may feel better with different level design like the one outlined in the video explaining the movement system.

Edit: Well maybe I was too quick to judge it. It could be ok if implemented properly. I also think the end of that game is glitched for me.

dsk1210

I am having a nightmare trying to receive my 3 games from HTC.

There is nothing in my junk/spam and I have only received the conformation email when I first signed up. I have tried to contact HTC and they are telling me to get in contact with PC World where I picked the Vive up at, but PC world is saying that HTC should email the codes to me, which I know to be correct. The HTC rep then sent me to a link to speak to some one and then cut me off the chat, the link he gave me led to 404 error :(

Bit passed off with this to be honest, I don't understand why they don't have the code in the box when you buy it, otherwise at least when you register your email it should reveal the codes automatically.

Glass

I am having a nightmare trying to receive my 3 games from HTC.

There is nothing in my junk/spam and I have only received the conformation email when I first signed up. I have tried to contact HTC and they are telling me to get in contact with PC World where I picked the Vive up at, but PC world is saying that HTC should email the codes to me, which I know to be correct. The HTC rep then sent me to a link to speak to some one and then cut new off the chat, the link he gave me led to 404 error.

Bit passed off with this to be honest, I don't understand why they don't have the code in the box when you buy it, otherwise at least when you register your email it should reveal the codes automatically.

How long since you bought your Vive from PC World? I think my code took a few days to be sent through

dsk1210

How long since you bought your Vive from PC World? I think my code took a few days to be sent through

Picked it up on the 6th of August.

It's the fact that all the htc people I have spoken to seem to not have a clue about the games that is annoying me. I even had to tell one rep to Google it and linked a PC world page where it mentions the 3 games will be emailed.

Enordash

It's the fact that all the htc people I have spoken to seem to not have a clue about the games that is annoying me. I even had to tell one rep to Google it and linked a PC world page where it mentions the 3 games will be emailed.

Took ten business days for me to receive mine. Bought it from the Microsoft Store.

Tain

That's only an issue if the better position is within 1 teleport radius. If it's more than one, there is a time where you will be out in the open

How possible it is to hit a teleport-moving target depends on implementation and distance, of course, but it's pretty clearly not the same thing as aiming and leading a shot at a fluidly moving target or varying movement to avoid a shot while still heading toward a destination.

BIGWORM

I just pushed the button on the Vive from Newegg. Order verified...then got held up from the bank...then verified again...then the $0.99 gift bundle is held up again and it's the ONE thing that needs to be cleared from the bank in order for the Vive to push through. Right when the customer service desk closes.

Fuck. I figured I've waited this long, what's another few days! Can't wait! Glad HTC caught with the demand and no more waiting a month and a half plus. =D

Check your spam/junk folder. My codes appeared in there after about 3 days and my housemate also found his in junk/spam too when i told him to look. The mail might be sent under the "Knowhow" name or something like that. I got mine from Currys/PCWorld too.

Edit: Bugger. Just saw you'd already checked spam folders. Sorry.

Croteam (of Serious Sam fame) has made a prototype gun accessory for the Vive. According to the HTC Vive twitter account, the barrel revolves when fireing.

CpqpcmiXYAA-juP.jpg

Zalusithix

Croteam (of Serious Sam fame) has made a prototype gun accessory for the Vive. According to the HTC Vive twitter account, the barrel revolves when fireing.

Amusing, but spinning alone is kind of pointless. Recoil is what you'd be looking for, and I doubts that any actuator could even halfway mimic a chain gun's constant pushback. Oh, and the size of that thing would shrink your usable play space by a couple feet in each direction due to the barrel length. ;P

Edit: Well actually now that I think about it a bit more, an extremely high powered fan in combination with an actuator could possibly provide a similar feedback. Better be using IEMs with hearing protection over them though, because that'd be loud as hell.

collige

Banned
With all this drama of No Man's Sky basically being the modern day Spore, I'm really confused as to why they didn't add VR support to it. It seems like a no brainer to me since most of the game is either sitting in a cockpit or wandering around planets.

Hope this starts to catch on. Never really been into watching eSports, but this would definitely make it more interesting. Watched my first DOTA2 games with the VR spectate mode, and it was pretty cool.

Wonder if it's doable with say CS:GO and the like as well.

I'm sure it is, but I don't think Source 1 has VR support and so far Dota 2 and some of the Lab games are the only existing Source 2 games. I would put down money that Valve is planning to move CSGO over to Source 2 at some point, it's just a question of when.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Amusing, but spinning alone is kind of pointless. Recoil is what you'd be looking for, and I doubts that any actuator could even halfway mimic a chain gun's constant pushback. Oh, and the size of that thing would shrink your usable play space by a couple feet in each direction due to the barrel length. ;P

Edit: Well actually now that I think about it a bit more, an extremely high powered fan in combination with an actuator could possibly provide a similar feedback. Better be using IEMs with hearing protection over them though, because that'd be loud as hell.

Handheld turbine? Kill two birds with one stone. Just don't let go...

With all this drama of No Man's Sky basically being the modern day Spore, I'm really confused as to why they didn't add VR support to it. It seems like a no brainer to me since most of the game is either sitting in a cockpit or wandering around planets.

Gotta remember they're a small team and the game came in hot as hell. Considering the other updates they have planned down the line, I think at this point the only way it happens is if Sony gives them money for PSVR support (which isn't even launching until October). Then that work could maybe mean the PC version gets implementation afterwards.

Zalusithix

Handheld turbine? Kill two birds with one stone. Just don't let go...

As in a turbofan engine? That'd be hot!
Like burn down the house hot.

But yeah, a backpack mounted blower (like commercial garden equipment, but electric) attached to a hand held wand with motorized deflectors and a some linear actuators could provide a pretty interesting feedback device. Would be heavy, noisy, and would require being used in a wide open space, but the feedback would be something else. It could provide constant force in any number of directions along with impact feedback. Actually, if you also worked the ducting into controllable vents on the chassis itself, you could actually impart a level of directional force on the torso. Get hit from the side? Have it push you!

I almost want to see such a Frankenstein monster of a machine now.

Island 359 is getting released on the 23rd for $19.99.

aTrSaxB.jpg

The videogame is all about survival as players hunt for dinosaurs on an dense jungle island. Dropped in by helicopter you play a skilled mercenary whose mission is simple, kill as many dinosaurs as possible to earn as much money as possible before escaping with your life. But whose to say the hunter doesn’t become the hunted, as the dinos are just as skilled at hunting through the dense foliage as you might be.

For the biggest cash rewards you’ll need to kill the biggest dinosaurs, but to do that will take thought out tactics and strategies in order to preserve health and stamina for the long fight ahead. There will be weapons and ammo to find but not all of it may fit in your backpack, so choosing the right combination will be key. Loot drops can also be gained providing health and resources but only when certain kill milestones are reached.

Several dinosaurs have already been revealed through teaser trailer and screenshots. These include Raptors, Allosaurus, Compsognathus and T-Rex. Each has its own style of attack responding to your actions in different ways.

Taking notice of an incoming attack they may run away, hide, or counterattack to defend themselves. CloudGate Studio has integrated its own sprinting mechanic into Island 359, that aims to make you feel as if you’re are actually immersed in the jungle environment.

kungfuian

Interested to see if this could be done within a lock on strafing perspective/mechanic? So when locked on you could teleport 'around/to the side of' an enemy/target and the funneling image effect would revolve around that enemy in slow mo with the rest of the world getting blurred/softened or whatever?

I'm kiind of imagining how the Matrix movie video worked but combining that slow motion rotation around the target combined with the rest of the world maybe becoming soft/blurry or in some way visually less hard on the senses.

Raticus79

As in a turbofan engine? That'd be hot!
Like burn down the house hot.

But yeah, a backpack mounted blower (like commercial garden equipment, but electric) attached to a hand held wand with motorized deflectors and a some linear actuators could provide a pretty interesting feedback device. Would be heavy, noisy, and would require being used in a wide open space, but the feedback would be something else. It could provide constant force in any number of directions along with impact feedback. Actually, if you also worked the ducting into controllable vents on the chassis itself, you could actually impart a level of directional force on the torso. Get hit from the side? Have it push you!

I almost want to see such a Frankenstein monster of a machine now.

Hmm, getting there... play outdoors and make it a portable turbo generator charging a battery during your firing cycles. Backpack VR is born!

(lol)

Zalusithix

Hmm, getting there... play outdoors and make it a portable turbo generator charging a battery during your firing cycles. Backpack VR is born!

(lol)

Eh, if you already have a gas powered unit, just have it produce power from a normal generator attached to the crankshaft. =P One thing a blower based VR backpack would solve though is heat management. No need for additional fans. Just have the blower run over a sparsely finned heatsink, and you'll have enough airflow/cooling to be able to run even the hottest running computer hardware with ease. Combined with petroleum's energy density, you could even achieve extremely long play times with those power draws.

Use it in a stadium with either inside out tracking or a super powered lighthouse type setup. Add redirected walking. Make a game where you're wearing some power armor or the sorts. You now have the ultimate VR FPS.

Can't some rich geek make this happen? lol

I tried Cosmic Wandering. I have ~3m of walking space from one end to the other within my bounds, and this still felt pretty restrictive. This may feel better with different level design like the one outlined in the video explaining the movement system.

Edit: Well maybe I was too quick to judge it. It could be ok if implemented properly. I also think the end of that game is glitched for me.

Don't get me wrong, pausing and turning around is still kind of annoying, I just don't think it's substantially more annoying than teleporting, and is thus a good solution if you have game mechanics for which teleportation is unsuited. That was my takeaway, at least.

The best movement system is still Unseen Diplomacy's redirected walking, by far. But that REALLY requires a lot of space.

(And yeah, Cosmic Wandering itself is kind of glitchy. To be fair it was made in a weekend iirc)

Raticus79

Eh, if you already have a gas powered unit, just have it produce power from a normal generator attached to the crankshaft. =P One thing a blower based VR backpack would solve though is heat management. No need for additional fans. Just have the blower run over a sparsely finned heatsink, and you'll have enough airflow/cooling to be able to run even the hottest running computer hardware with ease. Combined with petroleum's energy density, you could even achieve extremely long play times with those power draws.

Use it in a stadium with either inside out tracking or a super powered lighthouse type setup. Add redirected walking. Make a game where you're wearing some power armor or the sorts. You now have the ultimate VR FPS.

Can't some rich geek make this happen? lol

Considering the effort some people put into SCA armour, I'm sure there's a Fallout fan out there with sufficient resources.

dsk1210

I love the vive but I am honestly regretting buying it now.

With the hassle that I am having trying to speak to HTC about my games and now my son has smashed my OLED TV with him the vive controller.

My fucking luck.

Zalusithix

I love the vive but I am honestly regretting buying it now.

With the hassle that I am having trying to speak to HTC about my games and now my son has smashed my OLED TV with him the vive controller.

My fucking luck.

How much space between the TV and the chaperone bounds did you leave? For anything expensive and breakable it should have been at least an arms length to prevent the chance of that happening outside of pure negligence.

dsk1210

How much space between the TV and the chaperone bounds did you leave? For anything expensive and breakable it should have been at least an arms length to prevent the chance of that happening outside of pure negligence.

It is my fault, I knew it was going to happen and had planned to have board that would go in front of the TV.

Too late.

taoofjord

Really late to the party but finally got to play Battle Dome today, ended up playing it for a few hours. It's really is fantastic and for my money it's the best VR game I've played as far as lasting appeal goes. The Splatoon-like teleportation is super fun and the game is just deep and tactical enough for me to get pretty competitive while playing, and with that comes a good sense of immersion. It actually brings me back to the days of playing laser tag every summer at the boardwalk. The Ender's Game-esque 3D teleportation level I played was equally fun.

Also spent a lot more time with Waltz of the Wizard and was surprised by how many little things I missed. What a great experience this is. My wife had a lot of fun with it and it was hilarious watching her play. At one point she was in giant mode with the sword in her right hand when the man with the lantern climbed up the ladder. She walked over to say hi to him... and much to her dismay she accidentally killed him with a quick poke from the sword. She was so upset!

For some reason, whenever I try to play a seated game like Lucky's Tale, I suddenly find the Vive to be really uncomfortable. The straps always feel either too tight or too loose.

The Vive isn't all that comfortable in general, but it's never really a problem when I play standing up. Maybe I just don't enjoy seated games as much so I start noticing the discomfort more? It's really odd.

taoofjord

For some reason, whenever I try to play a seated game like Lucky's Tale, I suddenly find the Vive to be really uncomfortable. The straps always feel either too tight or too loose.

The Vive isn't all that comfortable in general, but it's never really a problem when I play standing up. Maybe I just don't enjoy seated games as much so I start noticing the discomfort more? It's really odd.

For me, when I'm looking down the vive starts moving upwards/lifting off my nose and then I lose the sweet spot for focus. I notice this happening way more with seated games, perhaps because you rarely need to look down that much with standing stuff?

For me, when I'm looking down the vive starts moving upwards/lifting off my nose and then I lose the sweet spot for focus. I notice this happening way more with seated games, perhaps because you rarely need to look down that much with standing stuff?

Yeah, looking down is really a weakness of the current design. It's to the point where I never bothered playing Fantastic Contraption because that game has you looking down most of the time.

I by default wear the vive really tight, so looking down has minimal negative effect. Its still loses some focus, but not as much as if you wore the vive at a more expected tightness

also I remember someone posting some 3rd party alternative face padding. I need something other than the foam default with all the demoing ive been doing. I dont like the idea of the covers that HTC sells and would rather have full velcro in replacements

taoofjord

Ventured into Oculus territory yesterday using ReVive. Highly recommended (if anyone has been hesitant to do so).

Mythos of the World Axis (free) is so awesome. Farlands (free) is a really neat little thing with seriously fantastic graphics. Bought Floor Plan which is a very simple and enjoyable puzzle/adventure game. Also picked up Edge of Nowhere which I'll dig into tonight. Down the road I'll grab Eve: Valkyrie once I upgrade to a GTX 1080, that carrier assault update is what's selling me.

This seems promising but it appears to be still pretty shallow. I was hoping for an exploration/survival game with some systems to back it up (like crafting). Instead this still looks like Brookhaven but with freedom of movement movement.

also I remember someone posting some 3rd party alternative face padding. I need something other than the foam default with all the demoing ive been doing. I dont like the idea of the covers that HTC sells and would rather have full velcro in replacements

I bought replacement face pads from vrcover.com. They are thinner than the stock ones so I get a wider sweet spot, and they are made of leather-like material so they can be washed. For me they strike that sweet spot between being so thin that they are uncomfortable and so thick that they would reduce sweet spot, but I can imagine if you wore the head set any tighter than I do you would end up with marks on your face.

Paganmoon

So a few people here wanted feedback about the VRCover Foam replacement pads (The new 18mm ones), so I've used them for a day or so, and these are my impressions so far:

They're a bit fiddly to get on, since they don't have the little plastic thing that the originals have, to help with the placement. They also stick to my face a lot, and it's not overly hot here right now (about 21 degrees in my room). So if you're planing on getting these, I recommend getting the Cloth covers to put over them as well. Now the cloth covers made them feel fine, though again, they are very fiddly to get on. So overall for the price, probably not really worth it. Then again, now I have 4 foams to switch through if I get sweaty.
Oh right, also the originals irritate my skin a bit, and the cloth covers didn't during the duration I used them now (about an hour), so that's a bonus.

Also, if anyone hasn't tried it Quanero is a pretty cool VR experience, something I'm looking forward to see more of with VR. Like movies where you can roam around and check different parts of. Very cool indeed.

They're a bit fiddly to get on, since they don't have the little plastic thing that the originals have, to help with the placement. They also, stick to my face a lot, and it's not overly hot here right now (about 21 degrees in my room). So if you're planing on getting these, I recommend getting the Cloth covers to put over them as well. Now the cloth covers made them feel fine, though again, they are very fiddly to get on. So overall for the price, probably not really worth it. Then again, now I have 4 foams to switch through if I get sweaty.
Eh, I think they feel fine without an additional cover. Certainly miles better than the original foam. They feel fine when I get sweaty too, and I can just wipe them off with the same alcohol cleaning wipes I use on the lenses themselves (and have been using on my actual glasses for years)

Also, if anyone hasn't tried it Quanero is a pretty cool VR experience, something I'm looking forward to see more of with VR. Like movies where you can roam around and check different parts of. Very cool indeed.

Sounds cool, but I think you put in the wrong link. ;)

So a few people here wanted feedback about the VRCover Foam replacement pads (The new 18mm ones), so I've used them for a day or so, and these are my impressions so far:

They're a bit fiddly to get on, since they don't have the little plastic thing that the originals have, to help with the placement. They also stick to my face a lot, and it's not overly hot here right now (about 21 degrees in my room). So if you're planing on getting these, I recommend getting the Cloth covers to put over them as well. Now the cloth covers made them feel fine, though again, they are very fiddly to get on. So overall for the price, probably not really worth it. Then again, now I have 4 foams to switch through if I get sweaty.
Oh right, also the originals irritate my skin a bit, and the cloth covers didn't during the duration I used them now (about an hour), so that's a bonus.
Considering sweat has been the biggest problem I've had, I think they're totally worth it. It's a little bit steep, but you do get 2 and it's probably been the best Vive "accessory" purchase I've made so far (though I do have one of those Falandorn noob tubes on the way). No issue with irritation either. The cloth covers are good too, but I still have to deal with sweat issues with those.

Paganmoon

Eh, I think they feel fine without an additional cover. Certainly miles better than the original foam. They feel fine when I get sweaty too, and I can just wipe them off with the same alcohol cleaning wipes I use on the lenses themselves (and have been using on my actual glasses for years)

Considering sweat has been the biggest problem I've had, I think they're totally worth it. It's a little bit steep, but you do get 2 and it's probably been the best Vive "accessory" purchase I've made so far (though I do have one of those Falandorn noob tubes on the way). No issue with irritation either. The cloth covers are good too, but I still have to deal with sweat issues with those.

I don't know, something wrong with my skin maybe :), without the covers, they just stick to my face and that' annoying as hell. I'm still going to use them over the original ones, just with the cloth cover over them (they're better padded than the original ones imo), as I mentioned the HTC ones irritate my skin.

dsk1210

I have actually found that increasing the distance from my face to the lenses actually decreases the distortion of the lenses.

It's weird as I found the opposite to be to true of the DK2.

Akomix

Does anyone know if buying the Vive from Newegg nets the games in the bundle as well? Because I see the previous game vouchers are out of stock that they add to your order.

So this game Dig 4 Destruction came out today and it's pretty cool.

4 player deathmatch where you dig around (literally) in destructible voxel terrain. Very unique and simple fun concept, really polished, AI bots, unlocks, a lobby with enough toys to rival Rec Room. I recommend it.

Yay, more polished and completed VR titles!l

Boo, it's multiplayer-only and the internet where I'm currently living sucks. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom