• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

Is there a point to the Vive launcher? I have it turned off, since everything I've tried/bought runs through Steam and SteamVR.

You don't need anything for the Vive except Steam with SteamVR. All of HTC's software is totally optional stuff that you never had to install.

Trouble

Banned

DrhJRVE.gif

Zalusithix

Reddit. Someone's cable was defective; sent it back to htc and got this in return

I imagine we'll see this included with new Vives soon enough.

Well shit, I hope it goes up on their store too. I'd get one in a heartbeat. Should be both lighter and more flexible with so much less cable jacketing. Though it would mean that I'd have to modify the belt clip design for the new cable and print it out.

BIGWORM

30poKyM.jpg

It happened, guys. It finally fucking happened! I just got done playing Paint Ball in Rec Room. It blows my fucking mind!

dsk1210

30poKyM.jpg

It happened, guys. It finally fucking happened! I just got done playing Paint Ball in Rec Room. It blows my fucking mind!

Rec Room is a lot of fun.

Did you get the new bundle with it? If so you should really try Zombie Training Simulator, it's a quite an awesome gun game.

Has anyone with a vive tried psvr? Besides room scale how does it hold up? I have 3 days left to decide whether to keep the vive or not.

Besides room scale and motion controls, it's technically inferior. Especially so if you factor in computational power. Neo will help with that.

It's going to have a lot of interesting games though, most notably Sony's first party games.

I wouldn't trade my Vive for a PSVR no matter what.

Tain

The above two posts really cover it all. I wouldn't consider trading my Vive for a PSVR but it'll be a worthwhile headset.

edit: and Battlezone rules

Paganmoon

The above two posts really cover it all. I wouldn't consider trading my Vive for a PSVR but it'll be a worthwhile headset.

edit: and Battlezone rules

Yeah, BattleZone on PSVR blew my mind. Will eventually hit Rift, and hopefully Vive as well according to the devs.

So what's the longest everyone here has gone without doing any VR since having it? Think I just passed my longest stretch at like 12 days. It's not that I don't want to but I have it set up in the living room and I have my PC in my room, hauling it out isn't that hard or long but still it keeps me from doing it. I feel like two times a week is probably the most I'll bring it out for the foreseeable future and that actually doesn't bug me.

The dream would just to have two PCs and two headsets, Maybe one being Oculus for my room for just seated stuff.

derFeef

I continue to have a problem with the lenses. I constantly have some kind of glare or ghosting effect sometimes with bright spots. It's hard to explain - I think the best way to describe is, as if blurred lens flares would be in front of your eyes and cover the image a little bit. It's not my glasses as I get that with them off as well. Also the lenses are clean because I thought maybe they have some kin of grease film on them.

Is that normal?

Zalusithix

I continue to have a problem with the lenses. I constantly have some kind of glare or ghosting effect sometimes with bright spots. It's hard to explain - I think the best way to describe is, as if blurred lens flares would be in front of your eyes and cover the image a little bit. It's not my glasses as I get that with them off as well. Also the lenses are clean because I thought maybe they have some kin of grease film on them.

Is that normal?
If by lens flare you mean concentric rings partially around the lenses near bright spots, then yes, that's a side effect of the Fresnel lenses, and is well documented at this point.

I had to move to a temporary apartment while renovations are being done on my current place.

When I woke up in the new bedroom my brain thought I was playing a VR game.

Maybe I have been playing too much Vive?

Onemic

So what's the longest everyone here has gone without doing any VR since having it? Think I just passed my longest stretch at like 12 days. It's not that I don't want to but I have it set up in the living room and I have my PC in my room, hauling it out isn't that hard or long but still it keeps me from doing it. I feel like two times a week is probably the most I'll bring it out for the foreseeable future and that actually doesn't bug me.

The dream would just to have two PCs and two headsets, Maybe one being Oculus for my room for just seated stuff.

Im at 1 month right now.

My longest is three weeks, because I was away working at a summer camp.

Have you considered getting extra long USB and HDMI extension cords? There's a list of compatible ones on /r/vive. You'd still probably have to clean up the wires when you're done playing, but that may be easier than moving your whole PC. Not sure how far away your living room is.

XShagrath

Im at 1 month right now.
About the same for me, although completely out of my control. My GTX 1080 has been having problems, so it's been in and out of RMA since I got it.

I did get in one small session this weekend before I sent the card out again, but it had been at least a month since I played anything.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
is chaperone manager the best tool for setting SS on the Vive?
Just got 1080 and want to do some testing but haven't kept up with the SS utilities

deadfolk

Kinda OT, but...

I have a Vive and a preorder for a PSVR. My phone is dying, and I need to replace it.

I could get a new Note 7 with a free Gear VR, but the cost of that would probably mean cancelling the PSVR for now.

Alternatively, I could just get a cheaper phone and keep the PSVR preorder.

So, my question is...does anyone here have any experience with Gear VR, and is it worth the cash if I already have a Vive?

Kinda OT, but...

I have a Vive and a preorder for a PSVR. My phone is dying, and I need to replace it.

I could get a new Note 7 with a free Gear VR, but the cost of that would probably mean cancelling the PSVR for now.

Alternatively, I could just get a cheaper phone and keep the PSVR preorder.

So, my question is...does anyone here have any experience with Gear VR, and is it worth the cash if I already have a Vive?

Gear's main value is in being able to take VR "lite" (no tracking, low fidelity) VR to friend's houses to show them purely the visual aspect, and for portable virtual theater. Outside of that, it's not really worth investment IMO.

Alright, I'm almost prepared to buy Everest VR. I know it's expensive but then so is everything VR-related. It's a lot less expensive than a trip to Everest. :p

I have one concern: How does movement work? I don't want to watch too much gameplay because spoilers, but I saw one 30 second clip of someone crossing a tightrope, and it looked like they had to teleport to get to the other side. That seems... really bad.

However, I have a 4x4 play area. Would I still need to teleport? More generally speaking, how does locomotion work?

I have one concern: How does movement work? I don't want to watch too much gameplay because spoilers, but I saw one 30 second clip of someone crossing a tightrope, and it looked like they had to teleport to get to the other side. That seems... really bad.

However, I have a 4x4 play area. Would I still need to teleport? More generally speaking, how does locomotion work?

Every scene it places you in the corner of your playspace, and then you can walk as far as you are able to. For the bridge crossing thing, you use rope climbers in your hands to move if I recall (or you can walk if you have the space for it).

In scenes without special systems like that, you can walk about or teleport depending on how far you are going. Some spaces are definitely big enough that you need to teleport to explore them fully.

All that being said, don't expect moving around and doing stuff to be a big part of it. I appreciated it mostly for the view (I showed my dad the summit, and he was blown away completely).

deadfolk

Gear's main value is in being able to take VR "lite" (no tracking, low fidelity) VR to friend's houses to show them purely the visual aspect, and for portable virtual theater. Outside of that, it's not really worth investment IMO.

Thanks. I'm really interested in it from a 'sitting on the sofa, low hassle' type of perspective. Like when I can't be bothered to lock myself away for the full holodeck experience!

Is there any sort of decent software lineup?

Island 359 is out on Steam Early Access. $19.99

Quick description from someone on Reddit who played an earlier version:
nochehalcon
I played this in Chicago last month. It is not a wave shooter, it is a medium sized open world where you need to navigate a jungle island with an innovative locomotive system that never made me motion sick. You're running from air drop to air drop, picking up weapons and attachments, storing some in a backpack with limited slots so you're also dropping some as you fill up.
And you've got to keep listening, because different dinos use different tactics, and you can also hide from them as they hunt for you, so there is a bit of a mindgame.
I loved it and I'm jumping on it tonight when i get home!

Let's Play Gameplay 1
Let's Play Gameplay 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom