• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

Vivecraft, i believe is a mod for th ePC version, not the Windows 10 edition, which is PE. I have no intention of playing the java version ever again.

I will check the link, though to make sure I'm not mixing this up with something else.

But, also, I want to be IN the world, I don't want to look at it from a giants perspective.

Edit: WAit.. that makes the blocks real-size? like 1 actual meter?

God damn this VR decision is HARD, lol
Yes, Vivecraft is for the regular PC version. It's thanks to the highly modable nature of that version that we can get stuff like Vivecraft in the first place. If you're looking to actually feel one with the world, Vivecraft is going to give the better experience thanks to motion control support.

Ok. Here's, really, the dealbreaker question.

I've tried the PSVR and that's it (well, google cardboard if you want to count that). I only had 10 minutes in it and I never bothered fixing the focus or anything, so it might be my fault a little bit, but the word I couldn't get past when I got out was "neat". Damn neat, mind you, but it's still "neat" and not "wow".

I've been leaning towards Vive for a while, but what I really want to know is, how "far away" something can look? I've heard the menu is you in a tower somewhere. Does it really look like you're looking out for miles? or does it look like you're in a magical box twice the size of the room you're playing in? If you look down, can it feel like you're 200 feet up in the air?
Things can look as far away as the resolution of the panels realistically allow. Depth perception of super far away objects is more size related than anything to do with stereoscopic vision.

I've tried the PSVR and that's it (well, google cardboard if you want to count that). I only had 10 minutes in it and I never bothered fixing the focus or anything, so it might be my fault a little bit, but the word I couldn't get past when I got out was "neat". Damn neat, mind you, but it's still "neat" and not "wow".

I've been leaning towards Vive for a while, but what I really want to know is, how "far away" something can look? I've heard the menu is you in a tower somewhere. Does it really look like you're looking out for miles? or does it look like you're in a magical box twice the size of the room you're playing in? If you look down, can it feel like you're 200 feet up in the air?

There's this game, Elite Dangerous. If you can get a chance to play that, I think you'll be frothing at the mouth.

And yes, you will get cold sweat if you're playing a game and looking down off a cliff.

PSVR isn't in the same league as Vive in terms of holy shit. Roomscale is what makes this shit.

dsk1210

Roomscale is awesome but I have just over minimum room space to play in and the chaperone pops up a lot. I really would love to get the opportunity to use my Vive in a huge space as that would allow so much more immersion.

Does anyone else end up quite sore the next day after a decent session? I am not as fit as I used to be.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Talking about depth perception and how far things are, the Steam tutorial will most probably make you say "Holy shit!".

That empty large white hangar provides you already with more depth than you can imagine before trying it. And then you release some balloons in the air and watch them go up.

Zalusithix

Talking about depth perception and how far things are, the Steam tutorial will most probably make you say "Holy shit!".

That empty large white hangar provides you already with more depth than you can imagine before trying it. And then you release some balloons in the air and watch them go up.

I think the warehouse "tracer core" demo in the lab (whatever it's actually called) gives one of the best feelings of scale/distance. It has Valve's HQ renderer to keep things sharp in the distance. Then it fills the space with lots of objects of uniform size at various depths, and you get the (rather large) personality core firing from a massive slingshot and arcing through that space getting smaller the whole way.

Hello real world peoples.

Had my Vive a couple of days now and got round to setting up my new HOTAS for Elite. Man the feeling of being inside a spaceship is amazing.

Trouble is I had to downgrade all the graphics settings and all the text looks very blurry. Ships are out of focus until you get close and the jaggies are unbelievable. Ive now read that the Vive has issues with Elite and so does anyone have any tips for getting the best visuals?

I have a 4790k and a 980ti so i expected a half decent resolution but ive had to reduce most the settings to low to get a decent frame rate (and not feel sick). Ive followed some advice i read on the forums to lower the in game SS and then up it with a VR settings config but it still looks sub par and i can only play an hour or two before getting eye strain.

I love the immersion, so much that im willing to take the graphic downgrade hit but is there any fix that helps or should i just wait for a patch or two from Froniter?

I have a 4790k and a 980ti so i expected a half decent resolution but ive had to reduce most the settings to low to get a decent frame rate (and not feel sick). Ive followed some advice i read on the forums to lower the in game SS and then up it with a VR settings config but it still looks sub par and i can only play an hour or two before getting eye strain.

To some extent, this is just the reality of VR right now. It really is just that gpu intensive.

kinggroin

Banned
Ever since moving to the GTX1070, VR performance (with the exception of Project Cars and The Lab) has been worse. Especially Unreal Engine 4 games.

There is MASSIVE judder and studder - even with very little on-screen.

Gnomes and Goblins demo does it, Raw Data does it, Pool Nation does it - not sure what to do, and could use some suggestions.

I've tried changing drivers from the 37X.XX series back to the 368.XX series - same problems

CPU usage hovers around 40-60% and my GPU ramps up it's clocks the way it should (2000 core, 8800 mem) so I'm not sure what's up. My config:

FX8350 @ 4.3 Ghz
Asus GTX 1070 Turbo
8GB ram
win 10

Makai

Ever since moving to the GTX1070, VR performance (with the exception of Project Cars and The Lab) has been worse. Especially Unreal Engine 4 games.

Gnomes and Goblins demo does it, Raw Data does it, Pool Nation does it - not sure what to do, and could use some suggestions.

I've tried changing drivers from the 37X.XX series back to the 368.XX series - same problems

CPU usage hovers around 40-60% and my GPU ramps up it's clocks the way it should (2000 core, 8800 mem) so I'm not sure what's up. My config:

FX8350 @ 4.3 Ghz
Asus GTX 1070 Turbo
8GB ram
win 10
Uh oh. Upgraded from what? I just plugged mine in

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

FX8350 @ 4.3 Ghz
Asus GTX 1070 Turbo
8GB ram
win 10

latest nvidia drivers have been performing like shit for everyone..i'm not sure the answer but i upgraded to a gtx 1080 as well and overall its way better but every 3 seconds or so theres a studder ..and its frustratting

Speaking of, what are the latest good nVidia drivers? It occurs to me I actually haven't upgraded them since June.

For what it's worth, I had the exact same reaction the first time I tried VR, on an Oculus DK2. I thought it was pretty cool but nothing more.

That's still the reaction I have when I play seated games... for whatever reason, they don't give me a sense of "presence". Room-scale, though, completely changes my perception. I really feel like I'm in another place on the Vive.

Scubasteve2365

Neo Member

FX8350 @ 4.3 Ghz
Asus GTX 1070 Turbo
8GB ram
win 10

After launching a game. Open the steamVR menu (from within the headset), go to desktop, and using the vive controller as a pointer, maximize the game window (or if already maximized highlight the game to give it focus in Windows).

I have to do this with a majority of games.

Once I do this the games run perfect. I'm
Not sure what the problem is but its Windows influenced I believe. When I demo to others if I, using the PCs mouse, maximize the game after launching it doesn't fix the judder. They have to do it in the HMD themselves which makes me think it's related to Windows handling the direct/extended mode element of the Vive.

Posted this video in the High End thread but I thought it worth posting here. The video is a defense of teleportation in VR, but I think it's more interesting for it's breakdown of Doom VR and how teleportation affects it's gameplay. The main Doom VR breakdown starts around 3:07.

Tain

Posted this video in the High End thread but I thought it worth posting here. The video is a defense of teleportation in VR, but I think it's more interesting for it's breakdown of Doom VR and how teleportation affects it's gameplay. The main Doom VR breakdown starts around 3:07.

Good details. Especially liked that the final boss is apparently unchanged.

He mentions how he can slow the game down whenever he wants, but instead of explaining how that doesn't serve as an easily exploitable mechanic, he just drops a "nooope" and then moves on to how engaging it is? Weird. The MOBA comparison was also kind of silly for me because I've always actively disliked mouse-based movement for single-character (or mostly single-character) action games (DotA, Diablo, etc).

Is their a launch option that will let me turn off teleportation in Robot Repair? My play area is big enough that it's unnecessary, but guests will sometimes hit teleport by accident and then be out of alignment.

DrBretto

Banned
Very much so. The relatively low resolution makes it hard to focus on things very far away, but things can still feel very far away, or large, or high, etc.

Also the Vive menu is customizable. It can be everything from a 3D recreation of the Simpson's living room, to you just floating inside a (non 3D) 360 degree photo.

Do you remember what PSVR game you tried?

It was the one with the tanks. I wanna say Battlezone?

Sorry, still trying to figure out how to multi-quote and whatnot. Thank you all for the replies.

As for Minecraft, I am very familiar with all of the versions. I actively dislike the Java version and would very much rather avoid it if at all possible. I like the smoothness of the Win 10 edition and am rooting for that one to emerge as the definitive version eventually.

The idea of actually moving my arms around to interact with the world sounds fun on paper, but I can see that getting old fast. I want to play with a controller that I'm used to. I just want to feel the danger when I'm up high building something and be able to look around an whatnot.

It does sound like the Vive may be where I want to go, though. Even if that means I have to switch the Java. I'm just hoping I won't have to.

Zalusithix

It was the one with the tanks. I wanna say Battlezone?

Sorry, still trying to figure out how to multi-quote and whatnot. Thank you all for the replies.

As for Minecraft, I am very familiar with all of the versions. I actively dislike the Java version and would very much rather avoid it if at all possible. I like the smoothness of the Win 10 edition and am rooting for that one to emerge as the definitive version eventually.

The idea of actually moving my arms around to interact with the world sounds fun on paper, but I can see that getting old fast. I want to play with a controller that I'm used to. I just want to feel the danger when I'm up high building something and be able to look around an whatnot.

It does sound like the Vive may be where I want to go, though. Even if that means I have to switch the Java. I'm just hoping I won't have to.

It's hard to say what you want in VR until you have actually experienced both options. Standard controllers for controlling a human character in VR feels... detached IMO. It works well enough for piloting a machine as we're used to interfacing with machines with abstracted controls. It also works well enough outside of VR for a human because you never have the feeling of presence in the first place. In VR as a human though? Just creates a sort of cognitive dissonance. "I'm a human, but can't act like a human." It's akin to feeling like you're moving a marionette.

Everybody is different, but the preference for motion controls for human interaction in VR has been rather consistent for those who have had the ability to try both.

kinggroin

Banned
I recently upgraded to a 1080 and haven't had any issues, Including Gnomes and Goblins/Pool Nation. Running 372.whatever.

Wtf?

For instance, before selecting "Goblins" with the candle, it's locked 90. Soon as I enter, framerate is less than 45 and the entire headset performance gets ultra juddery. Even if I shove my face to the ground, nothing. Looking at the sky, nothing.

For the one asking, I upgraded from a 970.

Raw Data is the same way. The very start of the game is a massive locked reprojected stutter fest. Even dropping to low and resolution at like .5 the game performance is horrible the moment there is any action.

I've never been this frustrated with an upgrade before. Especially since I only did it FOR VR.

After launching a game. Open the steamVR menu (from within the headset), go to desktop, and using the vive controller as a pointer, maximize the game window (or if already maximized highlight the game to give it focus in Windows).

I have to do this with a majority of games.

Once I do this the games run perfect. I'm
Not sure what the problem is but its Windows influenced I believe. When I demo to others if I, using the PCs mouse, maximize the game after launching it doesn't fix the judder. They have to do it in the HMD themselves which makes me think it's related to Windows handling the direct/extended mode element of the Vive.

I try this, but when I go to the desktop from the HMD while in-game, the vive controller no longer controls the mouse. As if the game window is already in focus.

edit: Again, fwiw, everything outside of VR is amazing. I'm benching just above the average for my system (CPU and GPU individually) in Futuremark. So I don't know what's up. If this doesn't get resolved in later drivers, I'm selling the whole fucking thing.

TheRed

Wtf?

For instance, before selecting "Goblins" with the candle, it's locked 90. Soon as I enter, framerate is less than 45 and the entire headset performance gets ultra juddery. Even if I shove my face to the ground, nothing. Looking at the sky, nothing.

For the one asking, I upgraded from a 970.

Raw Data is the same way. The very start of the game is a massive locked reprojected stutter fest. Even dropping to low and resolution at like .5 the game performance is horrible the moment there is any action.

I've never been this frustrated with an upgrade before. Especially since I only did it FOR VR.

I try this, but when I go to the desktop from the HMD while in-game, the vive controller no longer controls the mouse. As if the game window is already in focus.

edit: Again, fwiw, everything outside of VR is amazing. I'm benching just above the average for my system (CPU and GPU individually) in Futuremark. So I don't know what's up. If this doesn't get resolved in later drivers, I'm selling the whole fucking thing.
I had the same of issue upgrading to my 1080 from a 970. I couldn't figure it out and I ended up just taking a long break and playing a bunch of other games on my 1080. Now I'm gonna try again and see if I can get it sorted, I haven't tried that maximize window in the headset thing.

kinggroin

Banned
I had the same of issue upgrading to my 1080 from a 970. I couldn't figure it out and I ended up just taking a long break and playing a bunch of other games on my 1080. Now I'm gonna try again and see if I can get it sorted, I haven't tried that maximize window in the headset thing.

What CPU?

Exuro

I've played both versions quite a bit and the interaction/immersion in Vivecraft is just leagues better. You don't actually need to swing your arms to mine or attack either. You can point and and use the action. Both are available and I switch between either while playing. My issue with the rift version is that the gamepad doesn't pull me into the world like tracked controllers do. Being able to see your arms move around adds a ton of presence and makes me feel like I'm there actually interacting, while using the controller makes me feel like I'm controlling someone in the world, in their perspective.

I'm sure whenever touch is out minecraft W10 will support it but then comes the issues of what they'll do with locomotion. I still prefer roomscale with teleportation over sitting down moving a stick with the gamepad(for both comfort and immersion reasons) so I wonder if they'll provide options or not. With that said the performance is still the main reason to use the W10 version which is smoother than the java version. It just lacks the features that makes Vivecraft so good.

Fuck

I've been getting a lot of sync issues lately and after finally finding my measuring tape it looks like I have my sensors like 18 feet apart :p

Need to redo again.

SomTervo

I've been leaning towards Vive for a while, but what I really want to know is, how "far away" something can look?

Things look pretty much exactly like real life in terms of scale. IMO it's the precise reason VR is so powerful.

Things that are far away look really fucking far away. You have to tilt your head back to look at tall things. Whenever a similar-sized living creature comes near you it is fucking uncanny and often unpleasant because the sense of scale and presence is so real.

It doesn't get old. It's literally the most intuitive and easy way of interacting.

This isn't your daddy's "Wiimote waving arms" where you actually only have pre-set actions which it roughly picks up. This is proper 1:1 real-life hand tracking, pretty much. Quite a few games also offer other controller support if you do get tired of it.

Okay, couple of questions. I'm likely going to pull the trigger in the next month or so on the Vive.

1. Anyone have any experience in playing games in the Dolphin using VR mode? In general is it a good experience? Are there some games that it works really well for? (I was think Metroid prime) :)

2. I know folks have set it up so you can play Half Life 2 in VR, but is it any good? I just would like to be immersed in that world in VR. I can put up with some motion sickness if the controls are decent otherwise.

3. any good multiplayer games? I've seen one where you have to disable a bomb and the other person has the instructions. Thought it was a great communicative experience. Any other games like that?

4. Is it possible to play traditional games in 3D? (I'm imagining something along the lines of feeling like you're in a movie theatre playing a game in 3D (as opposed to being "in" the game world)) or is that just nonsensical?

Thanks in advance!!

Okay, couple of questions. I'm likely going to pull the trigger in the next month or so on the Vive.

1. Anyone have any experience in playing games in the Dolphin using VR mode? In general is it a good experience? Are there some games that it works really well for? (I was think Metroid prime) :)

2. I know folks have set it up so you can play Half Life 2 in VR, but is it any good? I just would like to be immersed in that world in VR. I can put up with some motion sickness if the controls are decent otherwise.

3. any good multiplayer games? I've seen one where you have to disable a bomb and the other person has the instructions. Thought it was a great communicative experience. Any other games like that?

4. Is it possible to play traditional games in 3D? (I'm imagining something along the lines of feeling like you're in a movie theatre playing a game in 3D (as opposed to being "in" the game world)) or is that just nonsensical?

Thanks in advance!!

1. Yes, Wind Waker especially is great in VR. You can get Metroid Prime 3 working with the Vive controller, which I'd really like to try. I would say most games don't work great in Dolphin VR, though.
2. Half Life VR is... ok, I guess? I don't find most gamepad games really worth playing in VR. I really hate artificial locomotion in first-person games, too.
3. There are! I haven't play all of them. QuiVr is super fun in co-op, and I've heard great things about Raw Data.
4. I think you can do that using some of the big screen apps, yes, but keep in mind that the effective resolution you'll be looking at will be sub-HD for those games.

DrBretto

Banned
Dammit, people, you're gonna make me start over on Minecraft all over again! Lol.

Not to mention costing me $800 on the hardware.

kinggroin

Banned
For troubleshooting purposes, is there a way to launch a VR game without launching steam? Whenever I click the .exe from the main folder, my steam account connects and launches the client

1. Yes, Wind Waker especially is great in VR. You can get Metroid Prime 3 working with the Vive controller, which I'd really like to try..

woah woah woah woah woah.
Woah.
Hold on.

How does this work? Well? Does it feel like duct tape? Or is it good?

If I could play the Prime series like it was made for VR in any fashion (Even with artificial locomotion), I'd just fucking die.

woah woah woah woah woah.
Woah.
Hold on.

How does this work? Well? Does it feel like duct tape? Or is it good?

If I could play the Prime series like it was made for VR in any fashion (Even with artificial locomotion), I'd just fucking die.

I haven't tried it myself, but I assume the weapon movement has to be translational (as opposed to true 1:1). I'll try it at some point and report back.

Zalusithix

For troubleshooting purposes, is there a way to launch a VR game without launching steam? Whenever I click the .exe from the main folder, my steam account connects and launches the client

By clicking the .exe do you mean the one for the game, or SteamVR? I haven't tried it, but SteamVR is supposed to be capable of running without Steam itself.

Edit: Also, if a game requires Steamworks in addition to OpenVR, it'll necessarily launch Steam, and has nothing to do with VR.

kinggroin

Banned
By clicking the .exe do you mean the one for the game, or SteamVR? I haven't tried it, but SteamVR is supposed to be capable of running without Steam itself.

Edit: Also, if a game requires Steamworks in addition to OpenVR, it'll necessarily launch Steam, and has nothing to do with VR.

Yeah I mean the game's executable.. Each one I click on opens steam alongside it.

Zalusithix

Is going from a GTX 980 TI to a GTX 1080 worthwile for VR ? I'm stuck with a 2500K CPU.

Look through the past page or so. Have some people claiming that moving to the 1070/80 has actually resulted in regressions for them in VR specific cases. Anecdotes aren't data, but given the theoretical performance delta between the 980Ti and 1080 isn't all that great to begin with, I'm not sure it's worth the risk at the moment. Personally I'd wait for the 1080Ti, but then again, I'm not the type that upgrades every time there's something better out there.

I'm interested in getting Onward, but I still don't understand what some people mean by sliding locomotion. How exactly does the movement work?

I'm interested in getting Onward, but I still don't understand what some people mean by sliding locomotion. How exactly does the movement work?

Imagine traditional locomotion in a non-VR FPS. Basically that. People describe it as "sliding" because there's no head bob like there is in most games since that would cause motion sickness in VR.

How is this not making far more people sick than it is?

It's a really slow speed, which helps, and most of the terrain is pretty flat, which also helps. Of the games I've played with artificial locomotion, it's probably the least discomforting (as in the only one I play where it isn't uncomfortable)

Tain

Wowfunhappy said:

I think it's more people are discovering that artificial transitional (not rotational) movement at slow speeds with no head bob or gradual acceleration silliness is less sickening than they previously assumed it would be.

There's been a lot of hyperbole about artificial locomotion based on bad implementations.

Hard to say. A couple theories:

1. You walk/run at a slower more realistic pace.
2. The type of game it is forces you to focus on your surroundings and your situation at all times, possibly distracting your mind from disorientation. For example a lot of people have reported feeling more sick in the practice area while being totally fine in a match.
3. More people are aware by now whether or not they're susceptible to motion sickness and are just avoiding the game thus skewing reports.
EDIT: 4. You can't rotate on the spot artificially like in some games with traditional locomotion (where they might use snap turning or something). That's always been one of the biggest causes of sickness for me personally. You have to positional your body manually to rotate like that in Onward.

I've seen a lot of people on Reddit mention they had to refund due to sickness so it's definitely not doing anything magical and it's not perfect. That said, I think as far as traditional locomotion in VR goes, it's implementation is really well done.

Zalusithix

I think it's more people are discovering that artificial transitional (not rotational) movement at slow speeds with no head bob or gradual acceleration silliness is less sickening than they previously assumed it would be.

There's been a lot of hyperbole about artificial locomotion based on a bad implementations.

I've messed around with sliding in H3VR with all sorts of settings for max speed, transition rate, and so on, and I still think it's significantly less natural feeling than real roomscale movement or telportation type locomotion. It doesn't make me sick (I'm not prone to that in general), but it does feel off. The off feeling is magnified when standing vs sitting.

DrBretto

Banned
Watching some gameplay vids, I'm seeing a lot of these games are having you use a little portal thing to move instead of just moving. Is that that much better than smoothly moving? That seems like it'd be more jarring that way. Says the guy who's never used one.

Watching some gameplay vids, I'm seeing a lot of these games are having you use a little portal thing to move instead of just moving. Is that that much better than smoothly moving? That seems like it'd be more jarring that way. Says the guy who's never used one.

Teleporting is absolutely more comfortable than stick movement. "Artificial locomotion" is the term we've sort of adopted when referring to traditional game movement, and it's not good (in general) in VR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom