• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

cakefoo

I call fake. I've seen similar stuff but they take like four hours to export to a mesh that can be run in VR, and you often have to manually clean them up so they don't look horrible.
The capture method for photogrammetry is stupidly inefficient.

This is using LIDAR to record a new depth map every 50ms

This system feels really similar to what MediaMolecule are doing with Dreams for PS4.

A Microsoft store by me has a Vive demo and actually has the headset in stock. The demo was pretty impressive, and I'm super tempted to pick one up

Makai

The capture method for photogrammetry is stupidly inefficient.

This is using LIDAR to record a new depth map every 50ms

This system feels really similar to what MediaMolecule are doing with Dreams for PS4.
Oh wait, I thought they were filming live, too.

Makai

So my Vive comes in tomorrow, but my PC doesn't meet the minimum specs.

i5 2500k
GTX 760

I read that this is acceptable for Job Simulator, but what about other games?

dsk1210

So my Vive comes in tomorrow, but my PC doesn't meet the minimum specs.

i5 2500k
GTX 760

I read that this is acceptable for Job Simulator, but what about other games?

Are you planning to upgrade? Otherwise a lot of your enjoyment might be hampered by poor framerate.

After our discussion last week I decided to buy one of these:

zpTqso4.jpg

It's shipping from nearby, so I should have it in a couple days. Really curious to see how it works. Any particular games y'all want me to try it with?

Where and for how much did you buy it?

You could also try it out in The Nest and The Last Sniper VR.

I haven't played either of those, I'll look into it.

A guy sells them on eBay and his Esty store. I don't have it yet so I can't vouch for the quality. The parts are 3D printed.

[EDIT] Hah, I ordered last night and this morning he updated the eBay listing with this message:

**Version 2 will have some cosmetic updates and will be available to order Thursday 9/8. Please wait till then to place order. If order is placed now, current version will be sent.**

I messaged him in hopes of getting his updated design.

[EDIT2] He cancelled the order for me so I can re-order the new design. Should still get it this week, I imagine. I'll post pictures and impressions once I try it out a bit.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
So I finally got a chance to get in to Onward. It is freaking awesome. It took me a few rounds to get the hang of everything but damn is it a thrill. I don't really ever get motion sickness on any type of locomotion so no big deal but I could see where others would have trouble.

Pretty awesome game.

IMACOMPUTA

I haven't played either of those, I'll look into it.

A guy sells them on eBay and his Esty store. I don't have it yet so I can't vouch for the quality. The parts are 3D printed.

[EDIT] Hah, I ordered last night and this morning he updated the eBay listing with this message:

I messaged him in hopes of getting his updated design.

[EDIT2] He cancelled the order for me so I can re-order the new design. Should still get it this week, I imagine. I'll post pictures and impressions once I try it out a bit.

I don't know a whole lot about Onward yet (I plan on clearing some space out and buying it this weekend) -- But how do you do things like reload, grab medkits (or whatever) if your vive controllers are mounted in the rifle skeleton?

Scapegoat

I don't know a whole lot about Onward yet (I plan on clearing some space out and buying it this weekend) -- But how do you do things like reload, grab medkits (or whatever) if your vive controllers are mounted in the rifle skeleton?
You reload using the other hand (not clipped in). May become bit awkward if you put the rifle away and grab a syringe or pistol, but not too crazy I'd imagine.

Other designs that I've seen have included a clip-in spot for the second controller as if you were grabbing the foregrip - if the clipping action is good/fast enough I could see it working quite well.

So my Vive got delivered yesterday and so after work I went to install and......realised my graphics card only has one HDMI and I don't have any displayport cables. Doh!

Ordered one to be delivered today but I have a question - I mainly got it for Elite and so will be sitting down playing mostly. Would I be able to just put the Base Stations say on the edges of my TV stand (I'm playing in the living room) and have them point at me or do they absolutely have to be mounted up high at diagonal ends of the room? My TV stand is quite wide (have a 55in tv and there is about half a foot space beyond it on the stand at each side) So I could have them able to see each other and me sitting down.

Any thoughts? Otherwise I'm thinking of getting some of those builder support poles to attach the stations to as drilling holes in my flat isn't really the best option.

So my Vive got delivered yesterday and so after work I went to install and......realised my graphics card only has one HDMI and I don't have any displayport cables. Doh!

Ordered one to be delivered today but I have a question - I mainly got it for Elite and so will be sitting down playing mostly. Would I be able to just put the Base Stations say on the edges of my TV stand (I'm playing in the living room) and have them point at me or do they absolutely have to be mounted up high at diagonal ends of the room? My TV stand is quite wide (have a 55in tv and there is about half a foot space beyond it on the stand at each side) So I could have them able to see each other and me sitting down.

Any thoughts? Otherwise I'm thinking of getting some of those builder support poles to attach the stations to as drilling holes in my flat isn't really the best option.

After reading about dodgy displayport cables and having experienced a couple of them myself i went and bought "Accell UltraAV Version 1.2 Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort Cable" as it was mentioned on the "VESA Display Port site" and the Reddit thread i was reading. Unfortunately i haven't used it yet as i've been lazy and just used HDMI for the moment.

I am a massive fan of the builder support poles, i have 4 of these and they are ideal for my purpose - "Wolfcraft 4042000 Ceiling Prop" as they have a tiny footprint so they are less likely to be kicked or knocked and i can put them behind sofas etc so they are out of the way. I'm also going to attach my 5.1 speakers to them so i can have proper surround for the first time in years and years :)

After reading about dodgy displayport cables and having experienced a couple of them myself i went and bought "Accell UltraAV Version 1.2 Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort Cable" as it was mentioned on the "VESA Display Port site" and the Reddit thread i was reading. Unfortunately i haven't used it yet as i've been lazy and just used HDMI for the moment.

I am a massive fan of the builder support poles, i have 4 of these and they are ideal for my purpose - "Wolfcraft 4042000 Ceiling Prop" as they have a tiny footprint so they are less likely to be kicked or knocked and i can put them behind sofas etc so they are out of the way. I'm also going to attach my 5.1 speakers to them so i can have proper surround for the first time in years and years :)

Yeah I think it was those poles I was looking at. Cheers for the opinions. Ive just received a displayport cable so ill give it o go tonight. I also ordered a displayport to HDMI adapter just in case so hopefully ive hedged my bets.

Goodbye again world.

Zalusithix

That's good to hear. Thanks. I probably will try out the room scale stuff but its not my main focus for VR.

Goodbye World.

You'll probably change your mind once you do try it. ;)

Edit: Which is not to say that priorities will reverse, but that they'll probably at least balance out.

You can take the controllers in and out relatively easy. It's a little cumbersome though especially if you take both controllers out. A lot of it would be alleviated if both hands could do everything. For example, only your dominant hand can grab the ipad or the grenade. If that wasn't the case, you'd have little reason to ever need to take the dominant hand out of the gun frame. I assume it has something to do with always having access to the trackpad for movement, but I'm not sure. I wouldn't be surprised if some tweaks to that happen.

http://imgur.com/uug4LHT
http://imgur.com/Qtgmeoy
http://imgur.com/IFolW4v
This is the stock i made, it splits in the middle to allow easy use of your left had and then it splits again at the stock to allow easy use of the pistol. I't also incredibly easy to split the parts of the weapons and reseat them after wards, i found this easier and more convenient then having to pull the controllers out of the housing and reseat them each time. It dramatically sped up my ability to multitask.

You can take the controllers in and out relatively easy. It's a little cumbersome though especially if you take both controllers out. A lot of it would be alleviated if both hands could do everything. For example, only your dominant hand can grab the ipad or the grenade. If that wasn't the case, you'd have little reason to ever need to take the dominant hand out of the gun frame. I assume it has something to do with always having access to the trackpad for movement, but I'm not sure. I wouldn't be surprised if some tweaks to that happen.

Also with the one I'm getting, the non-dominant controller doesn't even attach. I'm actually a bit concerned about that. As someone familiar and comfortable with holding an AR-15 style rifle, my left hand is going to feel odd not having to hold onto.

Also I'm concerned that the stock looks too low. We'll see, I guess!

You'll probably change your mind once you do try it. ;)

Edit: Which is not to say that priorities will reverse, but that they'll probably at least balance out.

So i set up the vive and had a go at the tutorial thing and the steam lab and wow. I am suitably impressed. A gaming experience hasnt impressed me in this way for a long time.

So yeah - i will prob use the room scale stuff a bit more than i thought.

Update on the gun frame guy, he has two new ones and they both address my primary concerns:

Exactly what I wanted, a higher shoulder stock so more realistically aligned with the grips.

But wait, there's more:

Yes! Dual controller setup in addition to the new shape. I think this is the one I'm getting.

Update on the gun frame guy, he has two new ones and they both address my primary concerns:

Exactly what I wanted, a higher shoulder stock so more realistically aligned with the grips.

But wait, there's more:

Yes! Dual controller setup in addition to the new shape. I think this is the one I'm getting.

Looks really cool, but you won't be able to remove and attach the controllers from the frame with that design. I don't think that's a big deal for the single controller version, but it probably will be for the dual controller version.

Zalusithix

But wait, there's more:

The single controller design is elegant for a 3D printed rig assuming you don't need to get your primary controller out of it while in game.

The two controller version, however, leaves much to be desired IMO. It has the same no-quick/blind detach/attach mechanism problem, and it vertically positions the foregrip below the main - backwards compared to what you'd expect. If it were me, and I was worried about the forward controller support occluding the rear sensors, I'd build out to the side. Then I'd come back in for the forward controller mount. The controller to support frame interface would be held in place by magnets and keystoned to only latch in one direction. Presto, controllers in vertical alignment and the off controller free to remove at any time for other uses. (Critical in something like H3VR.) Ideally both would be magnetically latched to allow either to be removed from the frame.

The forward section on the two-controller frame is separate piece that connects to the single-controller version, so hopefully you can remove/reattach it easily. I'll report back on that once I get it.

I'll also see if I can modify it to have a more quick release-friendly forward attachment. Shouldn't be too hard.

[EDIT] Confirmed that the forward section cannot be removed on the two-controller version, but obviously you don't have to attach the second controller.

Zalusithix

The forward section on the two-controller frame is separate piece that connects to the single-controller version, so hopefully you can remove/reattach it easily. I'll report back on that once I get it.

I'll also see if I can modify it to have a more quick release-friendly forward attachment. Shouldn't be too hard.

[EDIT] Confirmed that the forward section cannot be removed on the two-controller version, but obviously you don't have to attach the second controller.

Not making the front part modular was a mistake IMO when it wouldn't have been hard to make it work. A T-slot interface between the sides, or a bolt through from the back of the curved handle would have sufficed. Making it modular would have made the rear part universal and made selling of the front part separately possible. Then again, this way he can sell two whole units to people. =P

Modification for easy removal of the front controller would be possible, but not necessarily easy. It looks like the wedge holding the front controller interacts directly with the front mount and lacks the means to otherwise stay in place on the controller. You'd probably have to create another wedge on the other side for it to attach to and then have it mate to another custom piece that attaches to the existing mount. This would push the front controller even lower though. You could also cut the mount part in two and rig an interface between them. Keep in mind that 3D printed parts are hollow shells with some percentage of infill in any number of various geometries. You can't cut or drill a 3D printed part and expect it to result in a full solid surface to work with. They're also thermoplastics susceptible to heat buildup from cutting/drilling.

DrBretto

Banned
I apologize if someone has asked this already, but does anyone know if this will work in place of an Oculus, particularly with Minecraft Win 10 Edition? It already has Oculus support built in. But the Oculus is probably the last one on my list of the big three. I'd kinda prefer the Vive if I can.

Zalusithix

I apologize if someone has asked this already, but does anyone know if this will work in place of an Oculus, particularly with Minecraft Win 10 Edition? It already has Oculus support built in. But the Oculus is probably the last one on my list of the big three. I'd kinda prefer the Vive if I can.

I don't believe ReVive is compatible with the VR edition of Minecraft. But why would you care when there's Vivecraft? Full motion controller / roomscale support.

DrBretto

Banned
I don't believe ReVive is compatible with the VR edition of Minecraft. But why would you care when there's Vivecraft? Full motion controller / roomscale support.

Vivecraft, i believe is a mod for th ePC version, not the Windows 10 edition, which is PE. I have no intention of playing the java version ever again.

I will check the link, though to make sure I'm not mixing this up with something else.

But, also, I want to be IN the world, I don't want to look at it from a giants perspective.

Edit: WAit.. that makes the blocks real-size? like 1 actual meter?

God damn this VR decision is HARD, lol

Not making the front part modular was a mistake IMO when it wouldn't have been hard to make it work. A T-slot interface between the sides, or a bolt through from the back of the curved handle would have sufficed. Making it modular would have made the rear part universal and made selling of the front part separately possible. Then again, this way he can sell two whole units to people. =P

Modification for easy removal of the front controller would be possible, but not necessarily easy. It looks like the wedge holding the front controller interacts directly with the front mount and lacks the means to otherwise stay in place on the controller. You'd probably have to create another wedge on the other side for it to attach to and then have it mate to another custom piece that attaches to the existing mount. This would push the front controller even lower though. You could also cut the mount part in two and rig an interface between them. Keep in mind that 3D printed parts are hollow shells with some percentage of infill in any number of various geometries. You can't cut or drill a 3D printed part and expect it to result in a full solid surface to work with. They're also thermoplastics susceptible to heat buildup from cutting/drilling.

Maybe! I don't see it being particularly difficult to mount a clip-on "nub" to the front section that fits snugly into the controller. Maybe? I dunno, I'll mess around with it. I'm an optimist I guess.

DrBretto

Banned
Ok. Here's, really, the dealbreaker question.

I've tried the PSVR and that's it (well, google cardboard if you want to count that). I only had 10 minutes in it and I never bothered fixing the focus or anything, so it might be my fault a little bit, but the word I couldn't get past when I got out was "neat". Damn neat, mind you, but it's still "neat" and not "wow".

I've been leaning towards Vive for a while, but what I really want to know is, how "far away" something can look? I've heard the menu is you in a tower somewhere. Does it really look like you're looking out for miles? or does it look like you're in a magical box twice the size of the room you're playing in? If you look down, can it feel like you're 200 feet up in the air?

Ok. Here's, really, the dealbreaker question.

I've tried the PSVR and that's it (well, google cardboard if you want to count that). I only had 10 minutes in it and I never bothered fixing the focus or anything, so it might be my fault a little bit, but the word I couldn't get past when I got out was "neat". Damn neat, mind you, but it's still "neat" and not "wow".

I've been leaning towards Vive for a while, but what I really want to know is, how "far away" something can look? I've heard the menu is you in a tower somewhere. Does it really look like you're looking out for miles? or does it look like you're in a magical box twice the size of the room you're playing in? If you look down, can it feel like you're 200 feet up in the air?

Very much so. The relatively low resolution makes it hard to focus on things very far away, but things can still feel very far away, or large, or high, etc.

Also the Vive menu is customizable. It can be everything from a 3D recreation of the Simpson's living room, to you just floating inside a (non 3D) 360 degree photo.

Do you remember what PSVR game you tried?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom