• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

cakefoo

Holy shit, how? I can't quite wrap my head around how it was filmed (and how it's being played back), I mean, it can't be actual video stitched together, cause you wouldn't get all that parallax.

is it using video data to make a 3D environment of the scene?
LiDAR (same kind of tech in Google's self-driving car).

HypeVR’s flagship virtual reality rig consists of 14 Red Dragon cameras and Velodyne’s HDL-32E, which provides the ability to simultaneously capture all fourteen 6K Dragons at up to 90fps and a 360 degree point cloud at 700,000 points per second. For cinematic VR, this ultra high resolution capture allows HypeVR to work with the highest quality digital image possible and HypeVR’s integration of LiDAR enables a massive 3d model capture of the live action scene. Velodyne’s real-time LiDAR can record depth data at a range of 100 meters with incredible accuracy which allows for HypeVR’s VR capture system to work in any environment. Furthermore, since the HDL-32E is class 1 laser eye safe, it can be used in any setting with no danger of causing any potential eye damage to the subjects being filmed. HypeVR’s patent pending capture method is also camera agnostic so smaller shooting and more affordable six degree VR systems are currently being developed.

vermadas

Holy shit, how? I can't quite wrap my head around how it was filmed (and how it's being played back), I mean, it can't be actual video stitched together, cause you wouldn't get all that parallax.

is it using video data to make a 3D environment of the scene?

http://velodynelidar.com/hdl-32e.html

They map the image data from the cameras on the LiDAR depth model. I can't imagine the amount of processing power this would require.

Edit: Beaten

LiDAR (same kind of tech in Google's self-driving car).

Sounds like fucking space wizardry to me. Incredible. Hope some biggish Hollywood talent adopts this rig for their projects. Having this as standard for 180/360 content would be a godsend.

Also, the irony of the fb link demo being sub hd :p

Tried out "my lil donut" last night (same dev that did BLARP!) and practically had a religious experience. Was seriously one of the more overwhelming things I've done in VR. The different electro tracks with each mode you select to change the properties of the "donut", especially the jeweled, translucent one was giving me some major psychedelic flashbacks. Also didn't realize the dev has a fair number of other smaller projects for dl on his site, one in particular, whiskersBox is supposed to be pretty good and the dev is using that as a prototype for a more developed experience he's been working on for some time. You can check out the rest of his work here: http://cabbibo.is/

Think I'll have to pick up Lune now too. These are my favorite experiences and what I want to see more of, surreal, abstract, psychedelic environments with object interaction that gives a feeling of truly being in an alien world with its own logic systems. Would love to see a new version of boxplorer2 (fractal sim that was on Oculus dk1) for Vive, that was absolutely incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCea2SYnpvA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wda5ckd4qf4

Shoeless

That LiDAR integration is quite impressive. I'm really surprised they managed to get the tech for this up and running so early into VR's life. If the costs can be brought down on this, I can see VR really taking off for non-gaming uses that will hopefully bleed over into its acceptance in gaming as well.

megalowho

After messing with my Vive for a few weeks I'm all about the future of virtual tourism, visualizer tools and nongaming apps. Figured I would be but it really is next level escapism, even in its nascent form. Podcasts + Tilt Brush is the perfect way to unwind after work, sat inside vrAMP listening to the new Frank Ocean and it was a mindblowing experience. Loved the brief VR Museum tour and checking out the inside of the Firewatch lookout tower was also a surprising highlight.

The games I've tried don't really hold my attention for long, though I've been hesitant to spend a bunch of money on what's currently available to see for sure. Definitely keeping an eye out for any top down strategy or board game titles - Quar, Raw Data and Cosmic Trip are on my wishlist, but still not quite what I'm looking for.

Also random VR thought I didn't anticipate - don't like when you're just tossed into a void or space without warning. Just a tiny platform to "stand" on makes my brain ok with all sorts of craziness, but without it it's hard to deal.

That Racket NX demo is legit. If you like Holoball you should definitely give it a shot. Even if you don't like Holoball you should give it a shot.

Is the "hooked" velcro—y'know, the side of the velcro pad that isn't supposed to come off—starting to peel off for anyone else? Mildly concerned about it.

So I have a question for all of you. I'm interested in getting a Vive and potentially have an opportunity to walk home with one for $720 after I get out of work. The catch is that it's missing the audio cable. At the risk of sounding dumb how important is this cable? If I just have my own PC USB headset and plug that into my PC am I good to go? The Vive is being sold as an Open Box item from a reputable store (MicroCenter) who I've dealt with in the past and they always have great return policies especially with their open box items.

Is this a good deal? Obviously, I'll be paying more than $720 for it once tax gets factored in, but it still seems like a decent deal for a Vive. Having said that, with a wireless Vive being on the horizon I'm wondering if I should just wait for that because the original wired model would presumably get a pretty dramatic discount, right? I'm definitely sold on the potential of VR it's just a matter of me deciding when to take the plunge because of the financial investment that goes with it. What do you all think?

So I have a question for all of you. I'm interested in getting a Vive and potentially have an opportunity to walk home with one for $720 after I get out of work. The catch is that it's missing the audio cable. At the risk of sounding dumb how important is this cable? If I just have my own PC USB headset and plug that into my PC am I good to go? The Vive is being sold as an Open Box item from a reputable store (MicroCenter) who I've dealt with in the past and they always have great return policies especially with their open box items.

Is this a good deal? Obviously, I'll be paying more than $720 for it once tax gets factored in, but it still seems like a decent deal for a Vive. Having said that, with a wireless Vive being on the horizon I'm wondering if I should just wait for that because the original wired model would presumably get a pretty dramatic discount, right? I'm definitely sold on the potential with VR it's just a matter of me deciding when to take the plunge because of the financial investment that goes with it. What do you all think?

Can you be more specific as to what is meant by "missing the audio cable"? Audio is sent to the linkbox over either hdmi or usb (you can choose between them in Steam VR).

It definitely sounds like a good deal IMO. A wireless model is NOT on the horizon. The amount of bandwidth you have to transfer is too great. There are prototypes but they're all SUPER expensive and still have lots of latency; you won't see it in a consumer product for quite some time.

Can you be more specific as to what is meant by "missing the audio cable"? Audio is sent to the linkbox over either hdmi or usb, either or.

It definitely sounds like a good deal IMO. A wireless model is NOT on the horizon. The amount of bandwidth you have to transfer is too great. There are prototypes but they're all SUPER expensive and still have lots of latency; you won't see it in a consumer product for quite some time.

I'd love to give you more info but I've given you all the information I have for the moment. I've looked up the specific unit online and the description of condition for the open box Vive is literally just "INCOMPLETE: No Audio Cable". No more details than that other than it's available for pickup at my local store only. This model stood out to me as it was the only open box unit that didn't have some kind of lens scratch listed under its condition description.

Also, I had not looked at the details of that wireless model so I did not realize that it was a very early prototype. It seemed really early for a viable wireless model to me, but like I said I didn't look to deeply into it yet because that seems like a bad way to go anyways.

wwm0nkey

Is this a good deal? Obviously, I'll be paying more than $720 for it once tax gets factored in, but it still seems like a decent deal for a Vive. Having said that, with a wireless Vive being on the horizon I'm wondering if I should just wait for that because the original wired model would presumably get a pretty dramatic discount, right? I'm definitely sold on the potential of VR it's just a matter of me deciding when to take the plunge because of the financial investment that goes with it. What do you all think?
Just buy a 3.5M to 3.5F cable and you're good. Vive pretty much need audio though

Here's the open box Vive's available at my MicroCenter:
llDA2dJ.jpg

Am I weird/dumb for being skeptical of the one at the bottom that just says "COMPLETE" and has no listed issues? lol

Paganmoon

I'd love to give you more info but I've given you all the information I have for the moment. I've looked up the specific unit online and the description of condition for the open box Vive is literally just "INCOMPLETE: No Audio Cable". No more details than that other than it's available for pickup at my local store only. This model stood out to me as it was the only open box unit that didn't have some kind of lens scratch listed under its condition description.

Also, I had not looked at the details of that wireless model so I did not realize that it was a very early prototype. It seemed really early for a viable wireless model to me, but like I said I didn't look to deeply into it yet because that seems like a bad way to go anyways.

the audio cable is probably the one from the HMD that you can jack your own headset to (or headphones if you'd like). Can probably be replaced with any off the shelve 3.5mm->3.5mm headphone cable, or you could connect your headphones directly to the HMD.

I'd be concerned with why they returned it, eg would immediately check for any bad pixels. Would also need to check all the functionality eg the room scale, all the controller buttons/edges etc.

Thats not necessarily a bad thing though if you can easily take it back no problem - it may be easier/quicker than returning a new one for reasons that are grey areas (like bad pixels)

Here's the open box Vive's available at my MicroCenter:
llDA2dJ.jpg

Am I weird/dumb for being skeptical of the one at the bottom that just says "COMPLETE" and has no listed issues? lol

Its right to be skeptical, but sometimes people return things that dont have any issues due to things like buyers remorse, being underwhelmed by VR, getting motion sickness (good games dont do this but a lot of bad ones can you make you feel awful for hours afterwards)

Its right to be skeptical, but sometimes people return things that dont have any issues due to things like buyers remorse, being underwhelmed by VR, getting motion sickness (good games dont do this but a lot of bad ones can you make you feel awful for hours afterwards)

Yeah that's kind of what I figured but I can't help but be skeptical. Instead of ordering ahead of time I think I'll print that image out and ask someone at the store what the deal is with the unit with no audio cable and what the deal is with the complete unit.

the audio cable is probably the one from the HMD that you can jack your own headset to (or headphones if you'd like). Can probably be replaced with any off the shelve 3.5mm->3.5mm headphone cable, or you could connect your headphones directly to the HMD.

I don't even use it, I use my wireless G930 headset instead.

So anyone have thoughts about onward?

Finally got to play some matches today.

PROS:
  • Totally nails what it's going for which is basically ARMA meets Counter Strike. Very tactical with low TTK and 1 life per round. Communication is vital to winning.
  • Lots of guns and attachments for different styles. All feel pretty great.
  • Maps are good, there are a good amount of them (for early access) and good variety between each.
  • Locomotion feels good. Didn't make me sick at all (though I mostly don't get VR sickness outside of really bad implementations).

NEUTRAL:
  • Visuals like the model animations can be glitchy but it's kind of funny.
  • Needs some in game tutorial stuff, but there is a youtube video out there explaining how to play and the game has a shooting range where you can go in solo and test and play around with everything without any pressure.
  • Big learning curve control wise. Between getting used to the traditional locomotion, the run speed being sort of contextual, a lot of the guns having different ways to reload, and the various controls for various secondary items (like grenades, syringes, and the knife), there is a LOT to get used to. I put this all in neutral because it's fine once you get used to it.
  • Win conditions are either kill all of the enemy team, or complete the objective. The objective is a spot on the map that you have to reach and enter a code. Almost no one does this right now and it's probably a combination of low in game player count (4v4) which makes it easier to just kill everyone instead, the fact that it's kind of hard to actually pinpoint the spot with the ipad in game, and the fact that because there's no in game tutorial a lot of people don't know it even exists. That said, people not usually trying to go for it hasn't affected my enjoyment of the game.

CONS:
  • That said, even when you get used to it, controls can be awkward and it can be hard grabbing specifically what you want on your person. Sometimes they're totally out of reach at times you really need them. For example grabbing a new clip from your vest while prone is kind of impossible right now which means you might have to stand up or at least crouch and expose yourself just to reload. You have a lot of items on your vest (handgun, grenade, secondary item, clip) and it's easy to grab the wrong item.
  • You spend a LOT of time in lobby. That's kind of the nature of the game when we're talking about a low TTK 1 life a round game, but it's a little worse here since games can go as long as 15 minutes or so on the larger maps. You can imagine that becomes a little annoying if you die 5 minutes in. Plus since the game favors realistic tactics (ie a decent amount of camping and waiting), it's not super interesting to spectate though the ability to do so after death is welcome. It's not as bad on smaller maps though since players find and kill each other real quick there.

Overall, I really like it and I'm not even in to ARMA or CS. It's a unique VR game right now*, more content rich than most other EA releases, and totally worth the price. There's nothing quite as satisfying as setting a plan to flank the enemy, actually managing to sneak behind them, and gunning a whole team down. Getting any kill is really satisfying actually lol. It could use a bit more polish and adjusting to alleviate the time spent NOT playing but it's still a great experience.

*Virtual Warfighter just came out today as well which is pretty similar but doesn't have nearly as much content right now (1 map, only death match mode, 2 weapons, no VOIP). Plus the experience it's going for is closer to CoD than Counter Strike so once it does have more content it will be pretty different.

Soi-Fong

PROS:
  • Totally nails what it's going for which is basically ARMA meets Counter Strike. Very tactical with low TTK and 1 life per round. Communication is vital to winning.
  • Maps are good, there are a good amount of them (for early access) and good variety between each.
  • Locomotion feels good. Didn't make me sick at all (though I mostly don't get VR sickness outside of really bad implementations).

NEUTRAL:
  • Needs some in game tutorial stuff, but there is a youtube video out there explaining how to play and the game has a shooting range where you can go in solo and test and play around with everything without any pressure.
  • Big learning curve control wise. Between getting used to the traditional locomotion, the run speed being sort of contextual, a lot of the guns having different ways to reload, and the various controls for various secondary items (like grenades, syringes, and the knife), there is a LOT to get used to. I put this all in neutral because it's fine once you get used to it.
  • Win conditions are either kill all of the enemy team, or complete the objective. The objective is a spot on the map that you have to reach and enter a code. Almost no one does this right now and it's probably a combination of low in game player count (4v4) which makes it easier to just kill everyone instead, the fact that it's kind of hard to actually pinpoint the spot with the ipad in game, and the fact that because there's no in game tutorial a lot of people don't know it even exists. That said, people not usually trying to go for it hasn't affected my enjoyment of the game.

CONS:
  • That said, even when you get used to it, controls can be awkward and it can be hard grabbing specifically what you want on your person. Sometimes they're totally out of reach at times you really need them. For example grabbing a new clip from your vest while prone is kind of impossible right now which means you might have to stand up or at least crouch and expose yourself just to reload. You have a lot of items on your vest (handgun, grenade, secondary item, clip) and it's easy to grab the wrong item.
  • You spend a LOT of time in lobby. That's kind of the nature of the game when we're talking about a low TTK 1 life a round game, but it's a little worse here since games can go as long as 15 minutes or so on the larger maps. You can imagine that becomes a little annoying if you die 5 minutes in. Plus since the game favors realistic tactics (ie a decent amount of camping and waiting), it's not super interesting to spectate though the ability to do so after death is welcome. It's not as bad on smaller maps though since players find and kill each other real quick there.

Overall, I really like it and I'm not even in to ARMA or CS. It's a unique VR game right now*, more content rich than most other EA releases, and totally worth the price. There's nothing quite as satisfying as setting a plan to flank the enemy, actually managing to sneak behind them, and gunning a whole team down. Getting any kill is really satisfying actually lol. It could use a bit more polish and adjusting to alleviate the time spent NOT playing but it's still a great experience.

*Virtual Warfighter just came out today as well which is pretty similar but doesn't have nearly as much content right now (1 map, only death match mode, 2 weapons, no VOIP). Plus the experience it's going for is closer to CoD than Counter Strike so once it does have more content it will be pretty different.

Just got this. Add me guys! will be on all night. Gonna be playing this with the Oculus Touch controllers.

Steam: Soi-Fong

dsk1210

PROS:

NEUTRAL:

CONS:

I really enjoyed what I played tonight. There is a bit of time in the lobby but I love how everyone one is talking right now, makes for a very sociable experience

The game is great as well. I still find it tricky to aim accurately though.

Just got this. Add me guys! will be on all night. Gonna be playing this with the Oculus Touch controllers.

Steam: Soi-Fong

I'm Guitaratomik on Steam!

I really enjoyed what I played tonight. There is a bit of time in the lobby but I love how everyone one is talking right now, makes for a very sociable experience

The game is great as well. I still find it tricky to aim accurately though.

Yeah, everyone's been pretty talkative which is great and passes the time pretty well. I'd like to see some more stuff for the lobby though like maybe a war room table with a map of the live game showing the player positions, and having the other players visible in lobby. Maybe ghost spectating instead of just the TV too. Being able to set up and maybe test your load out for the next game would be nice as well.

At PAX.

Tried PSVR, Rigs: PSVR quality is amazing what's wrong with people. Yes the build and ease of adjustment is great too. Oh, only dislike of rigs: aim with your head for up/down angle. Hope it is a changeable setting.

In line to try rift and touch controllers, please hold

Ok tried touch controllers. Two front facing cameras. When I swung behind my back it still tracked. Probably because of the momentum. I should have kept it there for a while to see if it lost tracking. I hit the desk in front of me twice. I immediately noticed the smaller and rectangle shaped fov. But forgot about it also immediately.

Touch controllers are nice. It does allow move movements without controllers hitting each other. Buttons and everything is nice.

PSVR and rift: no screen door. Vive: screen door
PSVR and vive: super nice FOV. Rift: squares and skinny
Touch and vivemote: both good

I know I have more to say and forgot what to say
Oh
PSVR > rift > vive: ranked in putting on and adjusting headset

Rift sound: passing

I'm super sure that the touch works just with the touch sensitive buttons. That ring does nothing for finger tracking. That said the touch sensitive buttons is enough to do a lot of cool tricks. The games I played didn't really toy with the possibilities so il still curious what people can come with.

At PAX.

Tried PSVR, Rigs: PSVR quality is amazing what's wrong with people. Yes the build and ease of adjustment is great too. Oh, only dislike of rigs: aim with your head for up/down angle. Hope it is a changeable setting.

Ok tried touch controllers. Two front facing cameras. When I swung behind my back it still tracked. Probably because of the momentum. I should have kept it there for a while to see if it lost tracking. I hit the desk in front of me twice. I immediately noticed the smaller and rectangle shaped fov. But forgot about it also immediately.

Touch controllers are nice. It does allow move movements without controllers hitting each other. Buttons and everything is nice.

Oh

I'm super sure that the touch works just with the touch sensitive buttons. That ring does nothing for finger tracking. That said the touch sensitive buttons is enough to do a lot of cool tricks. The games I played didn't really toy with the possibilities so il still curious what people can come with.

No mention of roomscale? Eh.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I am purchasing all the must-have titles on Steam since I just got a vive

is The Assembly one of the better titles

Onward is epic. Bought it last night and immediately jumped into a firing range with 3 random people who also recently bought the game. One of the guys walked us through the basics and then we began messing with weapons, movement etc. Just the shooting range alone sold me on the game.

The weapon handling(from reloading to firing) is spot on, the communication method is genius, and the movement does not cause any uneasiness or sickness for me.

This game is a must have if you're into milsims or tactical fps games. Onward scratches my FPS itch and is in VR to boot. The fun and replayability factor is through the roof and it looks pretty damn good in VR. Obviously there are a bugs here and there but nothing game breaking. And yes there are lots of areas for improvement but early access is early access. Highly recommended if you're not sensitive to artificial locomotion in VR

is The Assembly one of the better titles

The Assembly is designed for seated play with a controller, despite having gameplay built around exploration. That's turned off a lot of Vive owners, me included.

If you don't mind, it seems pretty good/polished. Maybe you could get impressions from people who've actually played it. I would buy it in a heartbeat if it wasn't controller-only.

Haint

At PAX.

Oh

I hadn't considered virtually everyone's going to be using Touch and Move facing their monitor all the time. A number of people have broke their screens with Vive despite chaperone and Steam VR calibrating your primary play direction away from you monitor. This could be a problem if you're hitting the desk twice in a short demo.

I hadn't considered virtually everyone's going to be using Touch and Move facing their monitor all the time. A number of people have broke their screens with Vive despite chaperone and Steam VR calibrating your primary play direction away from you monitor. This could be a problem if you're hitting the desk twice in a short demo.

Presumably people will play most PSVR games sitting down, and the rest won't ask people to walk or move very much. This hasn't been a problem with Oculus.

So, does anyone know who did the Human Medical Scan on The Lab and if they are working on a full version? Or perhaps some other VR program that does something similar? My mother is curious. She is a nurse practitioner and ever since I showed the demo to her she has been asking me about it every time she sees me and is interested in using software like this for medical purposes.

No mention of roomscale? Eh.

PSVR - seated experience and standing facing forward experience available at demos ( i think batman was standing, EVERYTHING else was seated)

Rift - standing facing forward experience available at demos I punched the desk/monitor in front of my once or twice

Vive - I have one at home. standing and roomscale available at that specific demo area

Rift (special) - Omni being used with world war toons with the rift.

I bought Onward after all the hype I've seen and it's legit the first game to make me sick. I think I might have to refund. I feel like complete ass.

Which sucks as well, because I love the concept and the community has been fantastic so far.

I bought Onward after all the hype I've seen and it's legit the first game to make me sick. I think I might have to refund. I feel like complete ass.

Which sucks as well, because I love the concept and the community has been fantastic so far.
To counter this, I also just got Onward and had a pretty good time of it, aside from obvious Early Access quality of it all. Of the games to use sliding locomotion, this one bothered me the least, and really only if I looked downward while moving.
Locomotion induced vr sickness is definitely a YMMV scenario. We have everything from "no issue" to "got used to it" to immediately puking.

To counter this, I also just got Onward and had a pretty good time of it, aside from obvious Early Access quality of it all. Of the games to use sliding locomotion, this one bothered me the least, and really only if I looked downward while moving.

Yeah, anybody willing to try it shouldn't hold off because of me. Refunds exist for a reason.

Sickness seems to vary greatly from person to person. I may give it another chance but take some dramamine before jumping on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom