• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching some gameplay vids, I'm seeing a lot of these games are having you use a little portal thing to move instead of just moving. Is that that much better than smoothly moving? That seems like it'd be more jarring that way. Says the guy who's never used one.

Define "portal thing". Do you mean teleportation where you instantly blink somewhere you're pointing, or a literal portal that you walk through which some games do?

DrBretto

Banned
Teleporting is absolutely more comfortable than stick movement. "Artificial locomotion" is the term we've sort of adopted when referring to traditional game movement, and it's not good (in general) in VR.

OK. I'll take your word for it. Its seems so weird to me! lol. But it seems like every other game, unless someone was in a vehicle or sitting down, that's how it was done. I figured it's gotta be for good reason.

Define "portal thing". Do you mean teleportation where you instantly blink somewhere you're pointing, or a literal portal that you walk through which some games do?

The instant blink thing.

I assume he saw Budget Cuts. I don't know how to describe that other than as a "portal thing." Maybe teleportation gun?

I have no idea what you're even talking about, lol. It was present in a lot of games. Mainly Portal, Minecraft and GTAV were the ones I was looking at.

OK. I'll take your word for it. Its seems so weird to me! lol. But it seems like every other game, unless someone was in a vehicle or sitting down, that's how it was done. I figured it's gotta be for good reason.

Your first time you use VR, ride a rollercoaster. You'll understand immediately why it's a bad idea.

Things are kind of getting dialed in from both ends, though. Teleportation is getting better (super-fast dashes seem like they're being used more), but also things like Onward are using early lessons to make artificial locomotion more tolerable.

I have no idea what you're even talking about, lol. It was present in a lot of games. Mainly Portal, Minecraft and GTAV were the ones I was looking at.

Ah ok. Check out some footage of Budget Cuts, you'll understand! It's a literal portal gun.

Zalusithix

With VR you can't assume something that seems natural coming from traditional gameplay actually pans out once in the headset. Counterintuitive as it might seem, teleportation is the most natural feeling movement short of actually walking in roomscale.

Look up Budget Cuts in YouTube. You'll understand.

Edit: Beaten. Mobile posting sucks.

DrBretto

Banned
Your first time you use VR, ride a rollercoaster. You'll understand immediately why it's a bad idea.

Things are kind of getting dialed in from both ends, though. Teleportation is getting better (super-fast dashes seem like they're being used more), but also things like Onward are using early lessons to make artificial locomotion more tolerable.

I'm trying to picture it. Like if this real world was VR and I'm sitting here at my desk at work, and what it'd be like if I pressed a button to slide over to the lunch room. I could see it being a bit disorienting. But I figured I would just sort of pretend I was in a vehicle. It doesn't seem to bother me in my car, for example.

I think it's just one of those things I'll have to see for myself. I do think after today's research that the Vive IS the one for me, though. Seems like I can do more with it. Considering this is first gen tech, going PC alone is worth it just because there will be more stuff to play around with. The Vive seems to be able to do anything the Oculus can do, only better.

I am willing to be corrected, though.

Yeah a lot of people can't handle artificial locomotion. From various surveys I've seen it seems like only around 50% can consistently (I think it's a bit less actually), so most games use teleportation since it's nausea free for anyone. Like Sleeping Lesson just mentioned though, a few games are now trying artificial locomotion with the lessons learned, or putting it in as an option when it doesn't break the game.

I'm trying to picture it. Like if this real world was VR and I'm sitting here at my desk at work, and what it'd be like if I pressed a button to slide over to the lunch room. I could see it being a bit disorienting. But I figured I would just sort of pretend I was in a vehicle. It doesn't seem to bother me in my car, for example.

I think it's just one of those things I'll have to see for myself. I do think after today's research that the Vive IS the one for me, though. Seems like I can do more with it. Considering this is first gen tech, going PC alone is worth it just because there will be more stuff to play around with. The Vive seems to be able to do anything the Oculus can do, only better.

The problem though is that there ISN'T a vehicle, and you don't feel the usual inertia of being in a vehicle either. You're just standing there, non-mobile, and suddenly the world itself is whooshing by you. It's *incredibly* discomforting at first, and for many people that never improves. But for a lot, the small amount found in Onward is perfectly fine, once you've adjusted to it.

And yes, teleportation is absolutely the most natural feeling way of movement, even when it's barely implemented.

Also I just ordered the 3D printed stock, the one that you hold with both controllers. I talked to the guy and he says it works with the rear one loose and the front one locked down, and that was my main concern.

Zalusithix

But I figured I would just sort of pretend I was in a vehicle. It doesn't seem to bother me in my car, for example.
There's one mistake. Cars have a fixed frame of reference in your vision that does not move. Basically everything that isn't a window. This is how cockpit games skirt the artificial locomotion problems for the most part. As a human, you don't have this. The entire world moves around you without the normal inner ear cues to tell you that you are moving or anything to suggest visually that you are in fact still.

Watching some gameplay vids, I'm seeing a lot of these games are having you use a little portal thing to move instead of just moving. Is that that much better than smoothly moving? That seems like it'd be more jarring that way. Says the guy who's never used one.

Well, it doesn't make people motion sick.

But with regard to your other question: Yes, as someone who never gets motion sick, I find point-and-teleport to be much more immersive than moving with a stick.

Although, I prefer Raw Data's point-and-slide-quickly to both of those.

The problem though is that there ISN'T a vehicle, and you don't feel the usual inertia of being in a vehicle either. You're just standing there, non-mobile, and suddenly the world itself is whooshing by you. It's *incredibly* discomforting at first, and for many people that never improves. But for a lot, the small amount found in Onward is perfectly fine, once you've adjusted to it.

And yes, teleportation is absolutely the most natural feeling way of movement, even when it's barely implemented.

Also I just ordered the 3D printed stock, the one that you hold with both controllers. I talked to the guy and he says it works with the rear one loose and the front one locked down, and that was my main concern.

Yep, your body not detecting movement is the problem, not the movement itself.

I'm glad somebody else is taking the stock plunge with me. The guy updated his eBay listing based on the question I (and apparently you) have been asking. Either controller can be used "loose" or locked down. Really excited to try it!

Yep, your body not detecting movement is the problem, not the movement itself.

I'm glad somebody else is taking the stock plunge with me. The guy updated his eBay listing based on the question I (and apparently you) have been asking. Either controller can be used "loose" or locked down. Really excited to try it!

Yeah I plan on doing a review video of it once I have it, since (so far as I can tell) this is probably one of the better solutions -- it doesn't block the area below where most magazine wells would be to hinder reloading.

Tain

I've messed around with sliding in H3VR with all sorts of settings for max speed, transition rate, and so on, and I still think it's significantly less natural feeling than real roomscale movement or telportation type locomotion. It doesn't make me sick (I'm not prone to that in general), but it does feel off. The off feeling is magnified when standing vs sitting.

Yeah, there's no doubt that there's still some discomfort even with the measures taken, so it's still something people should try for themselves.

I do think after today's research that the Vive IS the one for me, though. Seems like I can do more with it. Considering this is first gen tech, going PC alone is worth it just because there will be more stuff to play around with. The Vive seems to be able to do anything the Oculus can do, only better.

The Rift today does have some comfort and ease-of-use advantages imo (including a few great officially-exclusive games that you can play without messing with Revive), but right now, you're mostly right. Once Oculus Touch comes out, though, the two VR packages become awfully, awfully similar. Rift+Touch can use the same exact SteamVR software environment as the Vive (and thus can play the exact same games), but you'll probably need to get some long cables and provide the tracker mounting solutions yourself to set it all up. And this is assuming Touch is priced in a way that makes the total no more expensive than Vive.

My advice is to wait and see how Touch goes, but in the end the differences will be really minor and there's no way you'll be unhappy with the Vive.

Zalusithix

Ok I'll give it a shot.

What's the executable?

Pulling this back up now that I'm home.

SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\SteamVR\tools\bin\win32\vrmonitor.exe

Starts up without the steam client. Just the VR Compositor/Dashboard/Server processes active after. My application (which I know doesn't require Steamworks) starts up and interfaces with OpenVR just fine without pulling up the Steam client as well.

CaLe

@Devs: Do you guys have any preference between Unity and Unreal when it comes to developing for the Vive ?

Also, regarding OnWard, do you have to use the Mic ? I mostly play when my kid / wife sleeps and I don't really want to wake them up.

Tain

My general non-VR preference is strongly UE4, but between Valve's The Lab renderer (forward renderer with dynamic resolution) and the control you seem to get over the mirrored game window, Unity seems to have an edge in SteamVR-specific support.

UE4's getting a forward renderer soon (it's actually in the current release as experimental), which should help in terms of IQ.

IMACOMPUTA

Ok.
Onward is the best VR game.

Hands down. Fucking incredible.

I'm someone who cannot stomach artificial locomotion and I have no problem whatsoever in this. I've had some of the most intense and satisfying moments in Onward. It really is the game I have been waiting for since I got a Vive.
I can't wait to see this game develop as time goes on.

Makai

@Devs: Do you guys have any preference between Unity and Unreal when it comes to developing for the Vive ?

Also, regarding OnWard, do you have to use the Mic ? I mostly play when my kid / wife sleeps and I don't really want to wake them up.
Unity. Probably the popular opinion.

CaLe

My general non-VR preference is strongly UE4, but between Valve's The Lab renderer (forward renderer with dynamic resolution) and the control you seem to get over the mirrored game window, Unity seems to have an edge in SteamVR-specific support.

UE4's getting a forward renderer soon (it's actually in the current release as experimental), which should help in terms of IQ.

Unity. Probably the popular opinion.

Are we limited to .Net 3 or something with Unity ? As far as I know they'red tied to whatever version of Mono they're using. They have a huge technical debt... Being more proficient in C# than C++, I'm debating using Unreal to improve my knowledge of C++ vs using a language I'm familiar with in an environment that's ancient.

Regardless, thanks for the answers ! I didn't know about the forward renderer stuff.

Makai

Are we limited to .Net 3 or something with Unity ? As far as I know they'red tired to whatever version of Mono they're using. They have a huge technical debt... Being more proficient in C# than C++, I'm debating using Unreal to improve my knowledge of C++ vs using a language I'm familiar with in an environment that's ancient.

Regardless, thanks for the answers ! I didn't know about the forward renderer stuff.
It's .NET 2.0 (lol), but some 3.x features like LINQ are supported. Unity is on track to fix this - current beta build uses the most recent Mono compiler and a full C# language update will come after that.

P.S. Unity has forward rendering

Makai

Here's some things off the top of my head that are unsupported:

Lazy evaluation
Tuples
Lambda sugar for properties
Readonly property initializers
?. operator
Static usings

Realistically, it will have everything you want unless you're a language nerd like me. My experience from working with Unity developers is that most people are satisfied with C# 1.0 features and don't care or know about anything above that. Rare use of generics, hatred for var, occasional use of lambdas/LINQ.

kinggroin

Banned
Pulling this back up now that I'm home.

SteamLibrarySteamAppscommonSteamVRtoolsbinwin32vrmonitor.exe

Starts up without the steam client. Just the VR Compositor/Dashboard/Server processes active after. My application (which I know doesn't require Steamworks) starts up and interfaces with OpenVR just fine without pulling up the Steam client as well.

Of course ever single game I have the issue with, needs Steam to run.

Tired of this. Gonna reinstall windows otherwise I'm done.

BIGWORM

I tried Windlands a couple of weeks ago and the locomotion got to me almost instantly, like I instantly lost my equilibrium. I had to enjoy it in a seated experience. =/

I never been this amazed and disappointed as I have with my new Vive. All the stuff I've tried like the Steam Labs thing and the Whale underwater one are terrific. I loved sitting at the bottom of a coral reef watching the fishes go by, playing around in the Labs with the robot and smashing up boxes - all great but I bought the Vive specifically for Elite and I've spent the last few days trying to get it to run at a good res.

The sense of emersion is fantastic, I feel like I'm in space. But its so damn intensive on the graphical side. I've had to turn everything down to low, the text is all blurry and the aliasing is unbelievable. Ive followed every help tip I could find - supersampling it, running the phyx on the cpu instead, changing my HUD to a soft green etc but I just cant get it to a point where I can play for more than an hour without eye strain. Ive read that its a bug or issue with their graphics renderer and I hope it gets sorted. Knowing how awesome it could be is frustrating. I should have research it a bit more before buying so that's on me.

In conclusion. VR is great. Elite needs some work. I have a 980ti but its seems that isn't enough. anyone know when the 1080ti will drop?

SomTervo

I tried Windlands a couple of weeks ago and the locomotion got to me almost instantly, like I instantly lost my equilibrium. I had to enjoy it in a seated experience. =/

It took me about 20 mins to get used to it (I had to sort of crouch/squat and sway to feel like I was in control) but once I got the hand of Windlands it was fucking amazing.

Ok.
Onward is the best VR game.

Hands down. Fucking incredible.

I'm someone who cannot stomach artificial locomotion and I have no problem whatsoever in this. I've had some of the most intense and satisfying moments in Onward. It really is the game I have been waiting for since I got a Vive.
I can't wait to see this game develop as time goes on.

Shit man. I can't afford to buy it but you're selling it to me, here.

There are fluids in your inner ear constantly 'recording' how you're moving and accelerating (the sixth human sense IIRC). Ever since you were an infant, your optic nerve and inner ear fluids have learned to work in tandem, matching what your eyes see and what your head records.

When your vision starts moving but your inner ear records no such movement, you will feel really, really sick. Just imagining it won't work. Sitting in your car, your eyes record no relative movement because it can see the car around you - you're "technically" sitting still - and your inner ear only briefly picks up a little bit of movement thanks to the car's acceleration. Basically you're sitting in a 'frame' or a 'cage'. It's why racing games work absolutely fine.

I never been this amazed and disappointed as I have with my new Vive. All the stuff I've tried like the Steam Labs thing and the Whale underwater one are terrific. I loved sitting at the bottom of a coral reef watching the fishes go by, playing around in the Labs with the robot and smashing up boxes - all great but I bought the Vive specifically for Elite and I've spent the last few days trying to get it to run at a good res.

The sense of emersion is fantastic, I feel like I'm in space. But its so damn intensive on the graphical side. I've had to turn everything down to low, the text is all blurry and the aliasing is unbelievable. Ive followed every help tip I could find - supersampling it, running the phyx on the cpu instead, changing my HUD to a soft green etc but I just cant get it to a point where I can play for more than an hour without eye strain. Ive read that its a bug or issue with their graphics renderer and I hope it gets sorted. Knowing how awesome it could be is frustrating. I should have research it a bit more before buying so that's on me.

In conclusion. VR is great. Elite needs some work. I have a 980ti but its seems that isn't enough. anyone know when the 1080ti will drop?

Elite is a special case with that, and it might be a bit before it's fixed. I would honestly put that as a "to be enjoyed later" type of game, given that rendering bug.
That being said, until that is accomplished, there's another space flight game that just came out, though I can't remember the name off the top of my head, but a lot of people really enjoyed it.
Also, lots more to do in the Vive!

Elite is a special case with that, and it might be a bit before it's fixed. I would honestly put that as a "to be enjoyed later" type of game, given that rendering bug.
That being said, until that is accomplished, there's another space flight game that just came out, though I can't remember the name off the top of my head, but a lot of people really enjoyed it.

Yeah man, I enjoy playing it even with the graphical issues because its such a good experience but I can only go an hour or two before all the blurriness and jaggie strobing wears (weres?) me down. I hope they fix it but yeah, in the mean time I'm going to start playing some other stuff.

I read somewhere that that Alien game is pretty good in VR - anyone comment on it? will I need brown trousers?

SimplexPL

Supposedly setting in game supersampling to lowest possible value (below 1.0) and setting it externally as high render target multiplier (2.0) helps with the jaggies.

I read somewhere that that Alien game is pretty good in VR - anyone comment on it? will I need brown trousers?

You will need Oculus rift DK2 and some old runtime libraries versions,

Supposedly setting in game supersampling to lowest possible value (below 1.0) and setting it externally as high render target multiplier (2.0) helps with the jaggies.

You will need Oculus rift DK2 and some old runtime libraries versions,

Yeah, I've tried every version of SS I could but (in game and using some VR settings config program I found on the forums) but its not right. Shame. I can wait though.

Zalusithix

I assume you're referencing House of the Dying Sun? If so, I don't think anybody would find that to be a replacement for Elite. Very different games. Better than nothing I suppose, but unless you're solely combat focused in Elite, I don't think it'd scratch the same itch.

As far as Elite and VR goes though, it is definitely a "to be enjoyed later" game for me. Much later. I need so much supersampling to make that game bearable in VR that I'll need a Volta level GPU to keep the framerates at a solid 90. Even if the text was legible, the aliasing in the stations kills it for me. Considering trading is what I do in that game, I'm seeing those stations a lot. The game's assets just weren't created with the limitations of gen1 VR in mind, even if some of the mechanics were.

I assume you're referencing House of the Dying Sun? If so, I don't think anybody would find that to be a replacement for Elite. Very different games. Better than nothing I suppose, but unless you're solely combat focused in Elite, I don't think it'd scratch the same itch.

As far as Elite and VR goes though, it is definitely a "to be enjoyed later" game for me. Much later. I need so much supersampling to make that game bearable in VR that I'll need a Volta level GPU to keep the framerates at a solid 90. Even if the text was legible, the aliasing in the stations kills it for me. Considering trading what I do in that game, I'm seeing those stations a lot. The game's assets just weren't created with the limitations of gen1 VR in mind, even if some of the mechanics were.

Yeah the biggest problem with Elite is that it's SUCH a good VR showcase... except for the shit they fuck up on. During the DK2 days it was that they couldn't be bothered to keep it up to date with the runtimes, and now it's that they've got what should be a very simple bug to fix that they just kinda haven't. It's still absolutely amazing to play, but yeah it's hard to get super invested in it with its current issues (all of which are basically just performance).

Yeah the biggest problem with Elite is that it's SUCH a good VR showcase... except for the shit they fuck up on. During the DK2 days it was that they couldn't be bothered to keep it up to date with the runtimes, and now it's that they've got what should be a very simple bug to fix that they just kinda haven't. It's still absolutely amazing to play, but yeah it's hard to get super invested in it with its current issues (all of which are basically just performance).

I know mate. Ive got a 980ti which ive overclocked a bit and ive had to turn everything down to low or medium!! I'm used to whacking it all up to 11 and enjoying them graphics.

The game looks great on my TV but its something else with the HMD on. I really hope they fix it so that the aliasing is at least sorted. I think that the next season/expansion whatever is out soon so fingers crossed.

Zalusithix

Well the bug, as far as I'm aware, is most noticeable in text, not general game geometry. Even if the bug was fixed and the text became ten times more legible, it'd still leave the issue of geometry aliasing. This isn't much of an issue within the ship itself, but the shimmering of distant details like that of a station (both inside and out) is maddening when you're used to a sharp, clean image. This could be rectified with simpler geometry so there's not as much high frequency detail to shimmer, but making VR specific geometry is a bit unrealistic of an expectation.

Regardless, if/when they get around to fixing the bug, I'll take another look. By then I'll even have my Vive controller -> virtual twin stick implementation finished, so I'll be able to mess around with VR controllers in VR without them actually being supported as input. =P (Though I'm primarily doing that for use of the controllers outside of VR.)

Paganmoon

Are devs just nixxing the whole "970 and up" requirement or what? I was so hoping for the HW requirements, together with the framerate requirement would've meant devs would have to focus on optimization of their games, but it seems it hasn't happened.

We should see drops on GTX 1080's with high end CPU's.

Seems earlier games were more adamant about following those guidelines, no?

So I'm inching ever closer to upgrading my PC (hopefully not having to build a new one entirely) to do VR.

I'm set on getting the 1080 for the GPU, and I'm hoping to save a bit of money by not having to buy a new mobo and potentially not having to buy a new processor.

I have an LGA 1155 mobo and a Core i5-3570k cpu. I'm wondering which of the following are true:

1. Your current mobo and cpu are good to go for VR (yay)
2. Your cpu isn't fast enough - you'll need to upgrade the cpu, but you can stay in the LGA 1155 line
3. Sorry bud, you'll need a newer mobo and cpu

Am I SOL with my hope of being able to keep my mobo and cpu?

Thank you!!

Zalusithix

Are devs just nixxing the whole "970 and up" requirement or what? I was so hoping for the HW requirements, together with the framerate requirement would've meant devs would have to focus on optimization of their games, but it seems it hasn't happened.

The 970 and up requirement never existed for Vive/Steam in the first place. I imagine Oculus is curating their store so only games that have settings which are playable on the 970 are let in. On the other hand, if you release on Steam you're free to make your game as demanding as you wish, with the obvious caveat that you'll be further limiting your already small install base.

Tain

They were, but Onward is... I mean, it's an Early Access game using Unity Personal Edition, lol. A lot of popular Vive games are similarly small-scale productions. Optimization often takes a back seat to getting things in there and functional. I don't think this is a forward creep yet as much as it is developers getting used to things.

edit: Oculus does seem to still be sticking to the 970 requirement, yeah. The bigger Oculus games are generally higher-production and they seem to be more optimization-minded.

Onward runs about as fine as a single dev EA game can really be expected to. I actually think it runs pretty fine in general, it's at least less noticeable than Raw Data (though looks significantly worse of course).

Evo X

Guys, get the free preview of Goblins & Gnomes!

It's a short experience, but looks gorgeous and has some great interactivity with the environment and characters.

CSJ

There can be a difference perceived when in control of movement and not in control of movement. I can get car sick.....when I'm a passenger. Never when I am driving.

I don't know what it's called but I read about it once, when you are in control your brain is ready for inertial changes or visual changes. In VR you're obviously relatively stationary(or completely) so no inertial reference, but you're still in control of moving.

Justin

Just got a email from HTC inviting me to come into their Seattle office to participate in a research study to help "shape future designs" of Vive software and hardware. They are giving $100 to participate! Hope I get picked!

Just got a email from HTC inviting me to come into their Seattle office to participate in a research study to help "shape future designs" of Vive software and hardware. They are giving $100 to participate! Hope I get picked!

Do it! And cross your fingers when you sign the NDA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom