• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

I do, how did you know? ;)

Why is it more PITA with astigmatism? (I have never used contact lenses in my life).
Having astigmatism means normal contacts won't work well. The power is uniform on a standard contact, unlike your glasses which vary to correct the astigmatism. This results in vision that is worse than you'd get from your glasses. The degree of the reduction would be dependent on how bad your astigmatism is.

To correct for astigmatism you'd need toric contact lenses which are weighted and/or have other mechanisms to keep them oriented the right way. The problem is that they can rotate out of place at times and make your vision worse requiring blinking to reorient. This is annoying enough when you're not doing anything important, but can be quite annoying in the middle of some intense activity in VR. Lens fit can reduce or eliminate the problem, but be prepared for potentially trying out many different brands and sizes.

Basically people without astigmatism have a much easier time with the whole contact thing.

Durante

As someone who has used toric contact lenses with astigmatism for quite a few years now, I don't think it's a huge deal. It might take some tweaking in the morning to get everything aligned, but it's mostly smooth sailing from there.

(At least in my particular case, I'm sure that everyone's eyes are different)

SimplexPL

So you don't have any problems using toric lenses with Vive?

Having astigmatism means normal contacts won't work well. The power is uniform on a standard contact, unlike your glasses which vary to correct the astigmatism. This results in vision that is worse than you'd get from your glasses. The degree of the reduction would be dependent on how bad your astigmatism is.

To correct for astigmatism you'd need toric contact lenses which are weighted and/or have other mechanisms to keep them oriented the right way. The problem is that they can rotate out of place at times and make your vision worse requiring blinking to reorient. This is annoying enough when you're not doing anything important, but can be quite annoying in the middle of some intense activity in VR. Lens fit can reduce or eliminate the problem, but be prepared for potentially trying out many different brands and sizes.

Basically people without astigmatism have a much easier time with the whole contact thing.

I remember getting discouraged from using contacts chiefly because the toric ones were much more expensive than regular ones, but I had no idea about other disadvantages. Thanks for enlightening me.
So my astigmatism won't be a problem when using the vr custom lens?

So I listed my Vive for sale locally here. I want to use it more but just havent had the drive lately. Feels like short of holopoint i have no desire.

I think also having to move my pc to the living room also makes it hard to use it when i want to.

Zalusithix

Any lens can be adjusted for astigmatism, though it'd have to be properly oriented in the headset. Could be as simple as a mark to align the top of the lens with the top of the HMD.

No. I also don't really see why VR use would be different from "real world" use when it comes to contact lenses.

It isn't, other than VR tends to be more active than "sit and stare at a monitor". Constant moving and turning of the head has a higher chance of upsetting the toric lens rotation within the eye. But yes, as I said, it is possible to get a fit that doesn't suffer issues, but it is dependent on the person and brand/sizing. If you're lucky, you might get it in one go. If not, you might go through a dozen different options trying to find the one that works the best for you. It's considerably more involved than the fitting procedure for standard contacts where it's 90% comfort.

I should also add, that if you're looking to wear contacts in normal life, then it could very well be worth it. My worth statement was made on the assumption they were to be used for VR only.

SimplexPL

That was correct assumption, I do not need to wear contacts all the time, I am accustomed to glasses, but in VR glasses are a nuisance.

kinggroin

Banned
How much are used Vives going for?

Thinking of dumping mine if this move to an Intel setup doesn't solve my issues with performance.

Keeping 90fps at native HMD resolution are by FAR the most important qualities I look for in VR games, complex shaders and such a distant third. Moving from a 970 to a 1070 and gaining massive timing issues in Unreal Engine 4 games (popular engine in VR unfortunately) has completely fucking soured me on PC VR.

Having used the PSVR quite a bit, I prefer 180° tracking to full blown roomscale in this case since the former nails the polish and performance side 100%. Gonna find out this weekend.

bj00rn_

Banned
So you don't have any problems using toric lenses with Vive?

I remember getting discouraged from using contacts chiefly because the toric ones were much more expensive than regular ones, but I had no idea about other disadvantages. Thanks for enlightening me.

My optician gave me several two-week packs of different brands one time use lenses for free to try (normal practice here where I live), that was very helpful. So I found some toric Dailies lenses that fit me perfectly and sits firmly in place during hours long VR sessions. I almost have to pry them out at night..

kinggroin

Banned
Wait what? Timing issues? This is the first I've heard of this.

Yeah, it doesn't seem common. I'm just exasperated with my own issue regarding it.

https://m.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/51b78b/best_vr_driver_for_gtx_1070/

Closest thing to what I'm experiencing. Again, it's ONLY Unreal Engine 4. Watching FRAPS on the desktop screen, frame rate will be 70-80 which SHOULD kick reprojection on, but it just judders like a motherfucker instead.

My 970 doesn't do this.

I've clean-tried over 3 driver series and reinstalled windows. Tried stable and beta branches of steam and steam VR.

My CPU was even clocked to 4.8Ghz lol...I'm done. I'll try Intel, and if that doesn't work, I'll sadly get rid of it.

Zalusithix

My optician gave me several two-week packs of different brands one time use lenses for free to try (normal practice here where I live), that was very helpful. So I found some toric Dailies lenses that fit me perfectly and sits firmly in place during hours long VR sessions. I almost have to pry them out at night..

For me it was paying a (non-refundable) fitting fee where you could get then get free trial lenses, but basically a one at a time ordeal. Get, use, go back (requiring scheduling) for consultation, order new, get, use, go back, etc. It wasn't worth continuing the cycle to find one that worked for me just for VR.

Wireless would be nice, but increased resolution/FoV would be even nicer. We're not going to see both at the same time, so I'll have to prioritize the visual aspect first.

I would prefer the wireless by far. The whole it goes away thing may be true for some but not me. It is the one thing I really cant stand. The resolution is fine for now for me. the wires though kill it for any real roomscale stuff. One you get 6-7 feet out and turn a couple times you are a mess.

Zalusithix

I would prefer the wireless by far. The whole it goes away thing may be true for some but not me. It is the one thing I really cant stand. The resolution is fine for now for me. the wires though kill it for any real roomscale stuff. One you get 6-7 feet out and turn a couple times you are a mess.

Thing is, wireless really only benefits standing 360 and roomscale experiences. Improved displays benefit seated, standing 180, standing 360, and roomscale experiences. I'm thinking about benefits to VR as a whole, and not to just roomscale.

Thing is, wireless really only benefits standing 360 and roomscale experiences. Improved displays benefit seated, standing 180, standing 360, and roomscale experiences. I'm thinking about benefits to VR as a whole, and not to just roomscale.

Thats why I think the devices will segment out eventually. You will have 2 headsets. One for active games and one for seated. This all for one needs to go for now. Maybe when the tech gets there it can converge. I would rather see a lower end active headsets that are wireless and other headsets for sitting. I honestly think cellphones like devices will lead the way in that segment. Start with low-end graphics, but with head tracking and remotes with lighthouse tech.

Zalusithix

Thats why I think the devices will segment out eventually. You will have 2 headsets. One for active games and one for seated. This all for one needs to go for now. Maybe when the tech gets there it can converge. I would rather see a lower end active headsets that are wireless and other headsets for sitting. I honestly think cellphones like devices will lead the way in that segment. Start with low-end graphics, but with head tracking and remotes with lighthouse tech.

Sure, they'll branch out and specialize eventually, but it's hard to say when that'll be viable. You need a much larger market to be able to support multiple product versions. Else you're targeting a niche of a niche, and need to jack up the prices to compensate for the lack of volume.

Salamande

Yeah, it doesn't seem common. I'm just exasperated with my own issue regarding it.

Closest thing to what I'm experiencing. Again, it's ONLY Unreal Engine 4. Watching FRAPS on the desktop screen, frame rate will be 70-80 which SHOULD kick reprojection on, but it just judders like a motherfucker instead.

My 970 doesn't do this.

I've clean-tried over 3 driver series and reinstalled windows. Tried stable and beta branches of steam and steam VR.

My CPU was even clocked to 4.8Ghz lol...I'm done. I'll try Intel, and if that doesn't work, I'll sadly get rid of it.

I was having some similar problems with judder, and with a 1080 to boot. I did a couple of things, and you might have tried these already, but they worked for me:

In your NVIDIA Control Panel, in "Adjust Image Settings with Preview," I changed the setting to "Let the 3D application decide"

The other thing was changing the PhysX processor to Auto-Select in "Configure Surround."

One or both of these might be worth a shot.

Maybe a long shot, but one thing that resolved my judder issues:

I had some software (EVGA Precision) that had a "frame rate target" setting, the purpose of which was to even out frame times. This was limiting the frame rate in a way that Steam VR was not detecting as lost frames. By all accounts I was running a locked 90 fps, but I had tons of stutter.

Just something to consider.

My 970 doesn't do this.

Unrelated to your VR specific, but I've been having some weird compatibility issues in random games with my 1080. Like for example I get about 15 FPS on low on Left 4 Dead 2. I wonder if there are some specific driver issues with the 10xx series in general.

Melon Husk

Any other way to fix dashboard.exe not starting except to reinstall Windows? I can't be bothered right now. Removing and reinstalling SteamVR and Steam does not seem to work, so it must be a registry issue. I noticed that a brand new steam installation autocompletes my username...

Not having a virtual start menu makes it too much of a hassle for short sessions.

kinggroin

Banned
I was having some similar problems with judder, and with a 1080 to boot. I did a couple of things, and you might have tried these already, but they worked for me:

In your NVIDIA Control Panel, in "Adjust Image Settings with Preview," I changed the setting to "Let the 3D application decide"

The other thing was changing the PhysX processor to Auto-Select in "Configure Surround."

One or both of these might be worth a shot.

Maybe a long shot, but one thing that resolved my judder issues:

I had some software (EVGA Precision) that had a "frame rate target" setting, the purpose of which was to even out frame times. This was limiting the frame rate in a way that Steam VR was not detecting as lost frames. By all accounts I was running a locked 90 fps, but I had tons of stutter.

Just something to consider.

Unrelated to your VR specific, but I've been having some weird compatibility issues in random games with my 1080. Like for example I get about 15 FPS on low on Left 4 Dead 2. I wonder if there are some specific driver issues with the 10xx series in general.

I just formatted all drives and am going to do a fresh, non-anniversary Windows 10 install. Soon as I'm back up and running, I'll give these suggestions a shot (assuming the problem persists).

Thanks fellas.

Sure, they'll branch out and specialize eventually, but it's hard to say when that'll be viable. You need a much larger market to be able to support multiple product versions. Else you're targeting a niche of a niche, and need to jack up the prices to compensate for the lack of volume.

Not so much. What I'm talking about can be achieved as an evolution of the smartphone vr market. The pc headset as another.

I just formatted all drives and am going to do a fresh, non-anniversary Windows 10 install. Soon as I'm back up and running, I'll give these suggestions a shot (assuming the problem persists).

Thanks fellas.

I don't know if you've tried this yet, but do you have any windows or other large glass surfaces in your room? I was getting horrible judder in my games. Pulling down the shades and putting a blanket over my glass desk fixed it. Rock solid now.

Zalusithix

Not so much. What I'm talking about can be achieved as an evolution of the smartphone vr market. The pc headset as another.

Smartphones have their own set of issues. A big one being that OpenVR is only open in the sense that you can freely interface with it and write drivers for it in the PC space. Getting it to run on a phone is a whole different matter. So the lighthouse idea for spacial tracking isn't quite as easy as a phone manufacturer or third party taking the idea and running with it. They'd have to work closely with Valve for the software (if they're even interested) or roll their own solution.

Awesome! I wasn't sure because there have been a few Japanese Vive games that have been pushed as purely arcade based like Argyle Shift.

Geez, that sucks.

I don't understand why these companies can't do both—design it for arcades, but still put it up for sale on Steam for those that have the setup. If you're worried about cannibalizing arcades (which is super unlikely given the Vive's current install base), price it appropriately to make any potential cannibalization worth it.

Tain

While I wouldn't complain about new-ass arcade games getting released on Steam at a big markup (which honestly could be a massive backlash-causing one), I don't see what's wrong with it coming after a delay. We still get the games and it gives them time to polish and patch it before hitting Steam.

also game centers are sacred and must be protected at all costs

which honestly could be a massive backlash-causing one

On a separate note, this kind of crap needs to stop happening, and this type of situation is exactly why. Either buy the game or don't. Maybe leave a review. No need to get angry about it.

Anyway:
I don't see what's wrong with it coming after a delay.
Is Argyle Shift coming after a delay? I looked it up after phoisgood495 mentioned it and it looks cool.

Makai

http://vrinflux.com/newtonvr-a-free-physics-based-interaction-system-for-unity-and-the-htc-vive/

Played around with this for a bit. Thoughts:

Grab button should be trigger instead of grip. I know they do this to free up the trigger for the guns, but it just feels wrong. Hands should not be physical objects. Feels like a bug when your hand gets hung up on something. Objects should pop out of your hand when your hand passes through something physical. Hands should interact with things with push force without grab button depressed.

Thanks fellas.

If your reinstall + other suggestions don't work, I'd also try giving Windows 7 a try, assuming you can scrounge a spare copy, or a key that will get you past the installation so you can try it out for 30 days.

BIGWORM

So, my left lens is blurry towards the bottom. Any suggestions on a fix? It was blurry from the get-go, and annoys me to no end. =/

kinggroin

Banned
OK, nothing worked. Even Windows 7 exhibited the problem.

Gonna try Intel...then I give up.

Edit: RESOLVED!!!

IT WAS MY USB CARD!

When I switched initially from USB3 to 2, it was due to shitty USB motherboard drivers. I never thought of moving it back after driver updates and motherboard firmware updates, but sure enough, doing that eliminated all these weird timing issues related to I/O.

It even fixed the frame rate issues I was having in some Oculus games during intensive scenes.

Omg, fuck me I'm so happy.

TL;DR

Don't choke your Vive's bandwidth with shitty USB ports.

kinggroin

Banned
I know hindsight is always 20/20, but USB should have been one of the first things to check.

Didn't even think to check due to the order of events. I had played some demanding games back when I was still on a 970, via USB 3. But back then my motherboard drivers for the interface were terrible so I had connection issues. I moved to USB 2 just before the time I upgraded to the new video card (and didn't bother to play any demanding Unreal games again, since I was waiting on the new card)...so I conflated things.

Zalusithix

OK, nothing worked. Even Windows 7 exhibited the problem.

Gonna try Intel...then I give up.

Edit: RESOLVED!!!

IT WAS MY USB CARD!

When I switched initially from USB3 to 2, it was due to shitty USB motherboard drivers. I never thought of moving it back after driver updates and motherboard firmware updates, but sure enough, doing that eliminated all these weird timing issues related to I/O.

It even fixed the frame rate issues I was having in some Oculus games during intensive scenes.

Omg, fuck me I'm so happy.

TL;DR

Don't choke your Vive's bandwidth with shitty USB ports.

It sucks that it took you all that effort to find the root cause, but I'm glad you finally got to the bottom if it. It'd bother me to no end if I were in a similar situation. Knowing that something should work, but not having any idea why it doesn't is supremely annoying.

kinggroin

Banned
It sucks that it took you all that effort to find the root cause, but I'm glad you finally got to the bottom if it. It'd bother me to no end if I were in a similar situation. Knowing that something should work, but not having any idea why it doesn't is supremely annoying.

Yeah man.

I was flabbergasted too. Overclocked my system harder than I ever had, scoring some insane marks in benches...yet VR like nah breh. And then people with way weaker systems pulling it off no sweat.

Still, I think this motherboard is a POS, and I won't skimp next time. The USB 3 resource allocation is garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom