• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys! I'm one of the Developer of Edge Guardian, we want to let you know that our game is available on Steam Early Access!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/518000

Full Trailer here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3_nBrANNQQ

Full Gameplay Session Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02Ha_mM16Vw

We really need feedbacks, can you spread the love for beating things? <3

I can vouch for this one. Only had a chance to play one session, but it's pretty fun so far and a good work out.

Hi guys! I'm one of the Developer of Edge Guardian, we want to let you know that our game is available on Steam Early Access!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/518000

2yTCaU3.gif

q8Ym8q2.gif

j6iv05p.gif

Full Trailer here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3_nBrANNQQ

Full Gameplay Session Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02Ha_mM16Vw

We really need feedbacks, can you spread the love for beating things? <3

Sounds good. I'm in.

kinggroin

Banned
Well, the move to Intel has been amazing so far. All these little hitches I had with AMD are gone. Rec Room is perfectly playable with no discernable drops and miracle of all miracles.

I can finally play Raw Data with nary a hitch (medium settings)

Zalusithix

Well, the move to Intel has been amazing so far. All these little hitches I had with AMD are gone. Rec Room is perfectly playable with no discernable drops and miracle of all miracles.

I can finally play Raw Data with nary a hitch (medium settings)

It's sad, but AMD just isn't a viable option on the CPU side right now. We'll see what 2017 brings... It's been a long, long time since I've had the luxury of considered them for building a PC where performance was of any importance.

Owari

Sent in my lighthouse about 3 weeks ago for repair. Still no sign of it. The HTC support said it was being escalated.. ugh.

I think it's because it was plugged in too long.

Unplug your lighthouse when you aren't using it unless you want to wait weeks for a replacement!

kn1ves24

Thanks for the feedback on VorpX. I really don't mind fiddling with settings so I might give it a try.

On another note, I'm on the fence with buying either Star Citizen or Elite:Dangerous. I know they aren't exactly the same but they are some what similar. How is the VR in E:D? Does it improve the experience? Is it worth buying it over Star Citizen?

Thanks for the feedback on VorpX. I really don't mind fiddling with settings so I might give it a try.

On another note, I'm on the fence with buying either Star Citizen or Elite:Dangerous. I know they aren't exactly the same but they are some what similar. How is the VR in E:D? Does it improve the experience? Is it worth buying it over Star Citizen?

There is no VR support in Star Citizen and likely won't be for a long time.

Elite is still one of the best VR games on the market. Definitely improves the game, which I otherwise found pretty shallow.

Zalusithix

Sent in my lighthouse about 3 weeks ago for repair. Still no sign of it. The HTC support said it was being escalated.. ugh.

Unplug your lighthouse when you aren't using it unless you want to wait weeks for a replacement!
Did you have Bluetooth auto shutdown enabled for them? There's no reason for them to be in anything other than standby mode when you're not playing.

fuzzy_slippers

Neo Member
Even with the Rift, you can access any OpenVR game on Steam. You'll need the Touch controllers to make use of the vast majority of them, and I'm not sure how the default mapping of those controllers to the Vive wands will pan out in all games, but the option is there nonetheless. Meanwhile on the Vive end, Vive owners can also play Oculus games, but access is dependent on ReVive being able to inject into the game. (It also depends on Oculus not being dicks and deciding they want to be a DRM laden closed system. I'd like to think that wont happen again, but it'll take years for me to have any confidence in that..)

The biggest thing I'd think about is tracking. Can you even set up a Rift with equivalent tracking capabilities in your space? Roomscale/360 tracking requires opposing cameras/lighthouses. With the lighthouses this is fairly easy. They just need to be mounted somewhere near an outlet - something that's normally available at multiple points around the room. Give em power, and you're done. With the Rift, the cameras need to route back to the PC. This means a USB extension cable from the far camera will be needed, and it'll either snake along the floor or be pinned to the ceiling all the way back. This is annoying at best, and depending on the room setup potentially a deal breaker. The cameras also have a smaller FoV than the lighthouses, so have to be further from the designated play area to have full coverage.

That Rift setup sounds pretty awkward. I could drag a cord along the edge of the room but if they really recommend people do that there's going to be a lot of ribbing in the press. I didn't know about Revive but the only current Oculus exclusive I think looks interesting is The Climb and as much as I've always wanted something closer to a proper climbing game I'm not sure about $50 for a short experience. Especially with no refunds on the Oculus store if the game gave me motion sickness I couldn't adjust to.

Now I just gotta get the wife on board for $800 vr. One advantage to Oculus doing a $600 headset and another $200 for motion controls is reducing that initial sticker shock.

There's been zero news about a Vive refresh right? I wonder if they'll do piecemeal upgrades whenever that happens. People accept new phones, consoles,etc come out with new versions but somehow having to drop another $800 on an incremental VR upgrade seems steep. Offering a way to upgrade base stations, controllers, or send in your headset to pay for the new optics would seem like a way to make that less harsh for earlier adopters.

fuzzy_slippers

Neo Member
There is no VR support in Star Citizen and likely won't be for a long time.

Elite is still one of the best VR games on the market. Definitely improves the game, which I otherwise found pretty shallow.

Did they ever fix Elite text rendering on Vive? I found articles from back when the Vive first came out with people comparing Elite Vive to Rift and how text looked worse on the Vive. As I recall it was just a quirk of the Vive lenses and how they did text but people thought the devs could come out with a way around it.

Did they ever fix Elite text rendering on Vive? I found articles from back when the Vive first came out with people comparing Elite Vive to Rift and how text looked worse on the Vive. As I recall it was just a quirk of the Vive lenses and how they did text but people thought the devs could come out with a way around it.

There was a recent update where they claimed some VR fixes, but from what I've seen it's still not where it needs to be. If your system can handle it, increasing the SteamVR rendering resolution helps a lot. The in-game supersampling doesn't seem to do anything on the Vive.

The game is still better with the Rift, unfortunately.

Owari

Did you have Bluetooth auto shutdown enabled for them? There's no reason for them to be in anything other than standby mode when you're not playing.
During the tribulations of trying to get VR working proper, disabling Bluetooth was one of the steps. So it wasn't on. :(

Now I'm worried the other lighthouse is going to break as soon as I get the last one back. They didn't let me send in both.

Zalusithix

There's been zero news about a Vive refresh right? I wonder if they'll do piecemeal upgrades whenever that happens. People accept new phones, consoles,etc come out with new versions but somehow having to drop another $800 on an incremental VR upgrade seems steep. Offering a way to upgrade base stations, controllers, or send in your headset to pay for the new optics would seem like a way to make that less harsh for earlier adopters.
There's been random rumors about a refresh, but nothing concrete. It's plausible we'll see one around the 1 year mark with ergonomic adjustments and changes to the electronics to drive the price down.

As for upgrades, the lighthouses will more than likely carry over to the second gen. Controllers are a tossup. The headset, on the other hand, most definitely isn't going to have the possibility to upgrade it.

During the tribulations of trying to get VR working proper, disabling Bluetooth was one of the steps. So it wasn't on. :(

Now I'm worried the other lighthouse is going to break as soon as I get the last one back. They didn't let me send in both.

I doubt the second will fail. While having less wear and needless power consumption is better, the laser and motor lifespans should on average allow for 24/7 operation for many years before hardware failure. Your failure is just one of the flukes. It's just unfortunate that HTC sucks on the RMA side of things.

Owari

I doubt the second will fail. While having less wear and needless power consumption is better, the laser and motor lifespans should on average allow for 24/7 operation for many years before hardware failure. Your failure is just one of the flukes. It's just unfortunate that HTC sucks on the RMA side of things.
They don't even suck. They're super nice and helpful. It's just taking longer than expected.

And all these great VR games releasing makes it worse! But my step-up got approved, so I should be gaming in upscaled fixed lighthouse greatness soon enough.

Zalusithix

They don't even suck. They're super nice and helpful. It's just taking longer than expected.

And all these great VR games releasing makes it worse! But my step-up got approved, so I should be gaming in upscaled fixed lighthouse greatness soon enough.

Taking that long qualifies as sucking, regardless of how friendly they are about it. RMA replacements should go out within a few days of receiving the item at most. I'm sorry, but I can't cut HTC slack anymore. I gave them the benefit of the doubt back during launch, but they've had plenty of time to get their shit sorted out since then.

If I had to do everything over again, I'd still buy a Vive over a Rift for a number of reasons, but I'm not going to excuse them for their shortcomings.

Onemic

Tried to play some Vive games for the first time in about 3 months and it seems that none of my games can run anymore. Every VR game I run ends up crashing within 5 seconds of it loading. I have an i5-6600K and a 1080. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Been out of the loop for a while with vacations and work and Deus Ex, having the urge to mess around in my Vive room some more.

Any good scary stuff out here yet?

Any big games or patches/updates I've missed?

BIGWORM

Anyone know what the mm measurement of the thick foam cover that comes installed on the Vive default? I was looking at those Vive covers posted on the previous page, and I'd like to mitigate the blurriness and make the 'sweet spot' a little bit bigger.

cakefoo

Been out of the loop for a while with vacations and work and Deus Ex, having the urge to mess around in my Vive room some more.

Updates for Vanishing Realms and Space Pirate Trainer.

Also get GPU Cubes VR. It's not "big," it's just the most in awe I've ever been.

A Chair in a Room is scary, and has some really great roomscale VR. Just some jumpy hand interaction physics at times.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
A Chair in a Room is cool but it plays pretty poorly.

Anything good since Rec Room? Haven't touched my Vive since.

SomTervo

A Chair in a Room and The Bellows I guess, but the former has been out for a while.

PS the Solus Project has a good whack of horror in it, too. OT here.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I purchased Windlands, The Town Of Light and Pierhead arcade a while ago. They were on discounts.

I hope they are good

Durante

I have to ask so that I may be able to feel better about my lack of gaming skillz:
Has anyone here actually successfully completed the most recently added mission in Raw Data on "normal" difficulty or higher?

We've given it 4 tries so far and failed every time.

(Despite or maybe because that, I feel like Raw Data is still continuously getting more amazing)

Melon Husk

Reinstalling Windows did the trick and Dashboard appears. Valve hid the qt app files in too many damn places. As a note for anyone else manually deleting steam registry files manually like they instruct did not help.

A Chair in a Room is cool but it plays pretty poorly.

Anything good since Rec Room? Haven't touched my Vive since.

You mean you don't play Paintball every day? Paintball without gearing up or getting dirty, hello?!

Compsiox

Banned
Reinstalling Windows did the trick and Dashboard appears. Valve hid the qt app files in too many damn places. As a note for anyone else manually deleting steam registry files manually like they instruct did not help.

You mean you don't play Paintball every day? Paintball without gearing up or getting dirty, hello?!

Teleporting kinda kills it for me personally.

Compsiox

Banned
Tried to play some Vive games for the first time in about 3 months and it seems that none of my games can run anymore. Every VR game I run ends up crashing within 5 seconds of it loading. I have an i5-6600K and a 1080. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

Updated headset and controller firmware?

kinggroin

Banned
I have to ask so that I may be able to feel better about my lack of gaming skillz:
Has anyone here actually successfully completed the most recently added mission in Raw Data on "normal" difficulty or higher?

We've given it 4 tries so far and failed every time.

(Despite or maybe because that, I feel like Raw Data is still continuously getting more amazing)

Duder, I can't even beat the third mission on easy.

Trojan

If that's the reason your lighthouse went bad, that's real shitty design/manufacturing quality on HTC. A device that is designed to be static and plugged in the majority of the time should not fail so quickly from just being plugged in.

Luckily I unplug mine, but I hope that isn't an actual root cause of your issue.

Exuro

eeeh I doubt that. I've had my lighthouses plugged in since I got the headset(end of April) and haven't had any issues.

Owari

It really sucks, cause I bought a bunch of VR games right before it broke. But now I'll have a 1080 to play them with. This month without VR has been hard!

If that's the reason your lighthouse went bad, that's real shitty design/manufacturing quality on HTC. A device that is designed to be static and plugged in the majority of the time should not fail so quickly from just being plugged in.

Luckily I unplug mine, but I hope that isn't an actual root cause of your issue.

Agreed, they inferred the devices would be fine plugged in and on .. permanently .. I have one that is plugged in behind a couch so it was hard to unplug, the one that was easier to get to I unplugged frequently, go figure that's the one that still works.

eeeh I doubt that. I've had my lighthouses plugged in since I got the headset(end of April) and haven't had any issues.

As have I, which HTC informed me was the cause of the issue. I'm just trying to be informative so you guys don't have this happen. I suggest putting them on a light switch or power surge so it's easy to turn off instead of unplug.

The fact that we still can't buy replacements in the US is also pretty annoying. I could have just bought a new one and had a spare in the time this is taking :(

Come on Valve, this is your flagship hardware.

Edit: the lighthouses are on the site now, but it's "Out of Stock".

Zalusithix

Jaxapollo, did you have the standby feature enabled?

I always have my lighthouses plugged in, but they do go into standby mode.

He did not. Honestly though, I don't see how the lasers, LEDs, or motors should fail in that time frame anyhow. These are components that should have far longer lifespans on average.

E-flux

I'd suggest Vanishing Realms . One of my favorite games on the Vive, the latest update expanded it a bit, and there will be more acts added as well.

Thanks for replies everyone. Shame, i was expecting budget cuts to be a lot closer. How about older games, i know that you can fiddle around with some program to make vive work with games that don't support vr. How easy is the thing to get to work?

I would kinda like to try out older games like the original thief and stuff like that on it, could be pretty cool.

Seiru

Banned
I posted this in the Palmer topic, but I figured I'd get some better replies here.

This entire episode with Luckey has been very disappointing. I've been a big Oculus fan for a while now, mostly because I believe they have the best (and most well funded) R&D in VR. If Palmer isn't going to resign over this shit, I might have to start looking at other companies, which sucks.

Does anybody know what Valve is doing these days? I don't think we've heard much out of them since the Vive release, have we? Are they working on future VR hardware? Are they working with HTC, or just by themselves? I have no idea how that works.

I guess the reason I'm more interested in their future stuff, is that I'd probably only be in the market for a Vive-like headset in about a year from now. I figure some 2nd gen hardware might be coming out by then?

Zalusithix

I posted this in the Palmer topic, but I figured I'd get some better replies here.

This entire episode with Luckey has been very disappointing. I've been a big Oculus fan for a while now, mostly because I believe they have the best (and most well funded) R&D in VR. If Palmer isn't going to resign over this shit, I might have to start looking at other companies, which sucks.

Does anybody know what Valve is doing these days? I don't think we've heard much out of them since the Vive release, have we? Are they working on future VR hardware? Are they working with HTC, or just by themselves? I have no idea how that works.

I guess the reason I'm more interested in their future stuff, is that I'd probably only be in the market for a Vive-like headset in about a year from now. I figure some 2nd gen hardware might be coming out by then?
Valve is working on hardware, and has been since before Oculus existed. The difference is Valve isn't producing anything for consumers directly. They worked with Oculus in the hopes they could make a commercially viable headset until Facebook bought them out, and subsequently tried poaching Valve's talent, etc. Then they switched gears and worked with HTC. Valve's tech isn't exclusive to HTC though. The capability for other third parties to make lighthouse compatible gear is rolling out now. The ability to create drivers to interface with OpenVR exists. Valve isn't putting all of its eggs in one basket. They care about the advancement of VR, but not so much who gets us there... well so long as the "who" doesn't try and eat Steam's lunch.

HTC, by the way, is also investing their own money into future Vive versions as well.

Business

Got Space Pirate Trainer, tried it five or six times, my wife asks me to play and destroys my highscore on her first attempt. Feels strange.

edit: Just tried The Bellows too and disappointed it doesn't give you a teleport option for locomotion. Moving with the trackpad makes me feel uneasy and while blur/turn the room is interesting, in this particular demo in a long corridor makes moving from A to B a real tedious task.

Trojan

This weekend I carved out some time to play a couple new games and one demo in The Lab that I hadn't tried before. Here's my quick takes:

• Goblins & Gnomes Preview: This might be my new go-to game to show to first-time VR guests. It's extremely peaceful and there was a lot of love put into the environments and sound. I like the subtlety that this demo has and also with the amount of detail in the forest area. There is little indication of what to do at first other than take in the scenery, but the game starts giving you small cues through some really good sound work and visual cues. I spent at least 10 minutes peering into the tree houses and marveling at the detail.

Directing in VR sounds like a challenge, and it's clear that Jon Favreau is going for an exploratory and self-paced focus in this game. Gnomes react differently depending on what actions you take, which is a cool technique that I hope more games implement. I am impressed by the potential for the full version of Goblins & Gnomes.

• Onward: I know I'm late to this party and now I can see why there is so much positive word-of-mouth for Onward. This game's realism is next-level. The aiming mechanic clearly got a lot of fine-tuning because it is very stable and precise. At it's core, the game's matches are a blast because the weapon handling feels so good and they are over fairly quickly. I got some intense counter-strike vibes immediately. Having a coordinated team using the mic made this a great experience.

One interesting thing about this game is the movement on the trackpad. It's very functional although it could use some fine-tuning, but when you have your gun to "center" your viewpoint and slow down, I think it really reduces the motion sickness factor. I've read a few comments of people saying they were fine playing this game but other games like Windlands will cause issues, so that's the best explanation I can come up with.

What needs work: UI layout needs a lot of attention, the close proximity of belt items makes it difficult to quickly perform reloads/grenade switches/healing, and the animations are Bethesda-style janky at the moment. But it's an early access game made by a very small team (is it one dude?) and the fact that the weapons feel so good make this game a strong recommend.

• Robot Repair (from The Lab): Holy shit, how had I missed playing this earlier? This is such a great demo that is not only hilarious, it's also one of the best-looking experiences I've seen on the Vive. Valve's VR rendering technique is bar-none the best out there in my book. This demo has everything - great pacing, humor, top-notch visuals, both small and large-scale interactions (the "drawer office" and GLaDOS). Also, GLaDOS. The worst thing about it is how short it is. I am really hoping Valve has a significant number of resources developing more VR experiences right now, because they are amazingly good at it.

It's great to see some new titles coming out that continue pushing VR in different directions. I'm impatiently waiting for Accounting to come out...every preview I've read of this has been glowing.

Vlaphor

Alright people. I'm probably going to get a Vive in about a week or two and I have a couple questions about setup. I have a 980ti and the ports being used now are a display port for video and the HDMI port for audio (more info here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=216473274&highlight=vlaphor#post216473274), so how would I connect it to the card? Also, is there a way to get an HDMI port on the front of the computer, so that my cables can move around easier? My PC isn't quite center with everything else and I'm worried about the cables dragging everywhere.

I'll have to move a cabinet downstairs to get some more room in my room for Vive, but I'm looking forward to it.

Alright people. I'm probably going to get a Vive in about a week or two and I have a couple questions about setup. I have a 980ti and the ports being used now are a display port for video and the HDMI port for audio (more info here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=216473274&highlight=vlaphor#post216473274), so how would I connect it to the card? Also, is there a way to get an HDMI port on the front of the computer, so that my cables can move around easier? My PC isn't quite center with everything else and I'm worried about the cables dragging everywhere.

I'll have to move a cabinet downstairs to get some more room in my room for Vive, but I'm looking forward to it.

You can just use another display port adapter to connect the Vive into your card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom