• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlaphor

You can just use another display port adapter to connect the Vive into your card.

Just plug the Vive HDMI into the display port adapter and plug that into the card? Alright, I can do that. Is it possible to get the port to the front of the computer though? How long is the cable anyway? I suppose I could just tape the cable to the side of the case if that'd be easier.

Just plug the Vive HDMI into the display port adapter and plug that into the card? Alright, I can do that. Is it possible to get the port to the front of the computer though? How long is the cable anyway? I suppose I could just tape the cable to the side of the case if that'd be easier.

The HDMI cable goes to a small hub that connects to the cables that run to the headset. You can use any size HDMI cable you want.

file_8d5e957f297893487bd98fa830fa6413.jpg

I believe the cored from the headset is listed as 5m on the specs.

Zalusithix

There's no need for a DP adapter. Just get a simple Displayport -> mini-Displayport cable to run from the card to the breakout box. The breakout box has both a mDP and HDMI in.

Cable routing to the front of the PC isn't going to happen no matter what you do unless you have a relatively special card like the VR edition cards from EVGA with internal HDMI and a bay adapter.

Vlaphor

There's no need for a DP adapter. Just get a simple Displayport -> mini-Displayport cable to run from the card to the breakout box. The breakout box has both a mDP and HDMI in.

Fantastic. I'll have to do a bit of room modification here and there, but I should be able to get my Vive setup in about a week or so.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Well, I finally did it. I pulled the trigger and got the Vive this past Saturday. It's a crazy awesome device, and I'm enjoying it a lot so far. Though as it turns out I BARELY had enough space for Room Scale, even after moving my bed etc. I nearly cried when it failed during the measurement a couple times lol. But with a little determination I finally got the room scale up and running. Can't move terribly far but it's far enough for now. XD Some random thoughts.

- I love Tilt Brush. It's fun to goof off in and make doodles when I don't want to do serious art.

- The Lab is excellent. It's a wonderful little set of activities for the Vive, got some weird vertigo looking down from the mountainside. XD

- I (and my family) all love TheBlu, though none of us have had the bravery to tackle the one with the angler fish.

- Waltz of the Wizard is a very fun little tech demo. Perfect for the price of Free.

- I would LOVE to see more stuff like The VR Museum of Fine Art.

- The Gallery: Episode 1 Call of the Starseed is really interesting so far. I haven't had enough time to really dig in, but I'm looking forward to continuing playing it.

- It was a pain going into every single game and disabling the Steam VR theater so I can play games straight up in Virtual Desktop, but it was very fun (and surreal) playing Trails in the Sky SC on a big curved screen. XD

- I'm planning on picking up Solus Project soon, and hope more exploration games find their way to Vive.

I'm hoping that more cool experiences find their way to Vive, especially pretty experience stuff like theBlu. For my 2 day review, I'm enjoying it despite my limited space. :)

Exuro

- It was a pain going into every single game and disabling the Steam VR theater so I can play games straight up in Virtual Desktop, but it was very fun (and surreal) playing Trails in the Sky SC on a big curved screen. XD
For this you can simply go to Settings->In-Game and uncheck Use Desktop Game Theater.

- I would LOVE to see more stuff like The VR Museum of Fine Art.
Imma check this out. Never heard of it.

Download Destinations, select the English Church and be amazed.

Zalusithix

I'm hoping that more cool experiences find their way to Vive, especially pretty experience stuff like theBlu. For my 2 day review, I'm enjoying it despite my limited space. :)

If you like theBlu, then get Gnomes & Goblins. It's another Wevr title and just as beautiful (albeit based in fantasy), but is more interactive than theBlu.

Cable routing to the front of the PC isn't going to happen no matter what you do unless you have a relatively special card like the VR edition cards from EVGA with internal HDMI and a bay adapter.

I thought there was an issue with the mini displayport, did that get patched?

Got another question. Where else besides Steam would be a good place to get VR software for the Vive?

I use this site to download misc. demos and other neat items that you can't get on the other storefronts:

https://www.wearvr.com/

[*]Onward: I know I'm late to this party and now I can see why there is so much positive word-of-mouth for Onward. This game's realism is next-level. The aiming mechanic clearly got a lot of fine-tuning because it is very stable and precise. At it's core, the game's matches are a blast because the weapon handling feels so good and they are over fairly quickly. I got some intense counter-strike vibes immediately. Having a coordinated team using the mic made this a great experience.

One interesting thing about this game is the movement on the trackpad. It's very functional although it could use some fine-tuning, but when you have your gun to "center" your viewpoint and slow down, I think it really reduces the motion sickness factor. I've read a few comments of people saying they were fine playing this game but other games like Windlands will cause issues, so that's the best explanation I can come up with.

What needs work: UI layout needs a lot of attention, the close proximity of belt items makes it difficult to quickly perform reloads/grenade switches/healing, and the animations are Bethesda-style janky at the moment. But it's an early access game made by a very small team (is it one dude?) and the fact that the weapons feel so good make this game a strong recommend.

Yeah one dude so far though I believe he's been recruiting since it hit early access. He's been working on it since DK1 or 2 days and it was originally going to be a traditional controller game until he got a Vive and decided to implement motion controls.

SimplexPL

Thanks for replies everyone. Shame, i was expecting budget cuts to be a lot closer. How about older games, i know that you can fiddle around with some program to make vive work with games that don't support vr. How easy is the thing to get to work?
I would kinda like to try out older games like the original thief and stuff like that on it, could be pretty cool.

I requires paid software (VorpX) and lots of trial and error and the effect is often sub par. I personally would not bother. VR needs new games developerd for VR, not old games (that were never intended to work in VR), with VR support bolted on.

SomTervo

How long does Vive shipping take nowadays? Does it ship at regular speed now that it's been a few months since launch?

I got it next day delivery from scan.co.uk and for cheaper than the actual HTC store.

Thanks for replies everyone. Shame, i was expecting budget cuts to be a lot closer. How about older games, i know that you can fiddle around with some program to make vive work with games that don't support vr. How easy is the thing to get to work?

I would kinda like to try out older games like the original thief and stuff like that on it, could be pretty cool.

Your options are VorpX which, as Simplex mentioned, is loads of work for very little/rare payoff, or IMO Dolphin VR which can be AMAZING but does require quite a bit of fiddling.

Crispy75

Well I was waiting for an in-depth technical comparison of Vive vs. Rift&Touch, but then Palmergate struck and I made a moral decision instead. A Vive and a 1070 arrive arrive in T minus 2.5 hours. Then I have to wait through an whole afternoon of pesky "work" before I get to plug it all in...

SomTervo

Well I was waiting for an in-depth technical comparison of Vive vs. Rift&Touch, but then Palmergate struck and I made a moral decision instead. A Vive and a 1070 arrive arrive in T minus 2.5 hours. Then I have to wait through an whole afternoon of pesky "work" before I get to plug it all in...

Congratulations. You're going to have an amazing time.

Check out free experiences first. You'll be able to get a lot out of them. Budget Cuts, GPU Cubes VR, etc. I tried Acan's Call the other day and it really surprised me. Great stuff, especially if you forgo the shield and play parrying with a sword in one hand (just remember you have to swipe into their strike to block it - if you just hold your sword still they'll hurt you).

Of course, The Lab and Job Simulator are brilliant, too.

Evo X

Anyone try Richie's Plank Experience?

The main pitch is walking on a plank on top of a skyscraper, but it also has a really fun mode where you fly around the city like Iron Man and put out fires. Worth the six bucks they're asking for it right now. Would love for them or another developer to expand on the concept. I want to play a VR superhero game so bad.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/517160/

SomTervo

Anyone try Richie's Plank Experience?

The main pitch is walking on a plank on top of a skyscraper, but it also has a really fun mode where you fly around the city like Iron Man and put out fires. Worth the six bucks they're asking for it right now. Would love for them or another developer to expand on the concept. I want to play a VR superhero game so bad.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/517160/

This looks amazing, especially the fireman mode. Thanks for flagging it up. Will buy tonight.

Windlands really captures the Spider-man vibe when you're really in the moment, swinging around. It's amazing. Except, obviously, for the cartoony, bright vibe.

Evo X

This looks amazing, especially the fireman mode. Thanks for flagging it up. Will buy tonight.

Windlands really captures the Spider-man vibe when you're really in the moment, swinging around. It's amazing. Except, obviously, for the cartoony, bright vibe.

Windlands gave me really bad motion sickness, so I returned it. :/

RPE didn't for whatever reason and I flew around putting out fires for 20 minutes straight.

I tried a free demo called Waltz of the Wizard a while back. It gave you a bunch of super powers to play around with, the most fun of which was telekinesis. Wonder why more developers aren't focusing on create full experiences with abilities like that.

E-flux

I requires paid software (VorpX) and lots of trial and error and the effect is often sub par. I personally would not bother. VR needs new games developerd for VR, not old games (that were never intended to work in VR), with VR support bolted on.

I got it next day delivery from scan.co.uk and for cheaper than the actual HTC store.

Your options are VorpX which, as Simplex mentioned, is loads of work for very little/rare payoff, or IMO Dolphin VR which can be AMAZING but does require quite a bit of fiddling.

I would be okay with fiddling around the settings, i'm not really interested in those super simple games which are essentially mini-games, there are few games like onward that look amazingly fun and i don't really want my vive when i get it later this week to be only used for Elite.

Also, Dolphin vr? Does that mean i could play metroid prime with motion controls and in vr?

SomTervo

Windlands gave me really bad motion sickness, so I returned it. :/

RPE didn't for whatever reason and I flew around putting out fires for 20 minutes straight.

I tried a free demo called Waltz of the Wizard a while back. It gave you a bunch of super powers to play around with, the most fun of which was telekinesis. Wonder why more developers aren't focusing on create full experiences with abilities like that.

Waltz of the Wizard is great.

Yeah the trackpad movement with Windlands is very dodgy. I found I had to 'walk on the spot', move a little bit at a time, and look around a lot, before my brain gradually started to accept the weird hovering controls.

If you overdo it and move too quickly you'll get sick immediately. If it's on sale it might be worth giving it another shot. It's 100% worth it for the first time you leap out into nothingness and fire a line overhead, start swinging around a tree, then fire another line and swing on...

I would be okay with fiddling around the settings, i'm not really interested in those super simple games which are essentially mini-games, there are few games like onward that look amazingly fun and i don't really want my vive when i get it later this week to be only used for Elite.

Also, Dolphin vr? Does that mean i could play metroid prime with motion controls and in vr?

Unfortunately there aren't many larger-scale experiences right now at all. It's more of a quality over quantity thing at this point. The only substantial experiences I've found, native to Vive, are Raw Data (still not complete), HordeZ (fairly rough), A Chair in a Room and The Solus Project. Most other substantial experiences you'll have to play with a gamepad, seated or standing. Elite, for instance.

Yep, Dolphin VR is amazing - no native Vive control though. You have to play with a gamepad. Still, it's incredible. Wind Waker VR is phenomenal and Metroid Prime is meant to be great, although I haven't tried it yet.

Apparently GTA VR is really good but I couldn't get it working with VorpX.

When I say 'a lot of tweaking', I mean a lot. Like constantly shutting the game down and booting it back up, constantly trying one different setting, it doesn't work, try another, boot the game up, doesn't work, shut it down, try another, boot it up, etc etc. It gets very tiring.

Feels good when it works though. I got Eternal Darkness on DolphinVR and Resident Evil 4 on VR working pretty damn well. Had to change about 5 settings for each every time I swapped game though, which was a ballache.

Resident Evil 4 is fucking nightmare fuel in VR.

Vlaphor

When mounting the two sensors, any idea of how big the holes in the walls will be? I'm renting and the holes can't really be that big, or maybe none at all.

If I can't do holes, then what are some other options for securing the sensors?

SomTervo

When mounting the two sensors, any idea of how big the holes in the walls will be? I'm renting and the holes can't really be that big, or maybe none at all.

IIRC they aren't big, like a 3.5mm audio jack width.

collige

Banned
Waltz of the Wizard is great.

Yeah the trackpad movement with Windlands is very dodgy. I found I had to 'walk on the spot', move a little bit at a time, and look around a lot, before my brain gradually started to accept the weird hovering controls.

If you overdo it and move too quickly you'll get sick immediately. If it's on sale it might be worth giving it another shot. It's 100% worth it for the first time you leap out into nothingness and fire a line overhead, start swinging around a tree, then fire another line and swing on...

Unfortunately there aren't many larger-scale experiences right now at all. It's more of a quality over quantity thing at this point. The only substantial experiences I've found, native to Vive, are Raw Data (still not complete), HordeZ (fairly rough), A Chair in a Room and The Solus Project. Most other substantial experiences you'll have to play with a gamepad, seated or standing. Elite, for instance.

Yep, Dolphin VR is amazing - no native Vive control though. You have to play with a gamepad. Still, it's incredible. Wind Waker VR is phenomenal and Metroid Prime is meant to be great, although I haven't tried it yet.

Apparently GTA VR is really good but I couldn't get it working with VorpX.

When I say 'a lot of tweaking', I mean a lot. Like constantly shutting the game down and booting it back up, constantly trying one different setting, it doesn't work, try another, boot the game up, doesn't work, shut it down, try another, boot it up, etc etc. It gets very tiring.

Feels good when it works though. I got Eternal Darkness on DolphinVR and Resident Evil 4 on VR working pretty damn well. Had to change about 5 settings for each every time I swapped game though, which was a ballache.

Resident Evil 4 is fucking nightmare fuel in VR.
There's a standalone GTAV mod that doesn't use VorpX. http://rly.sexy/gta-vive-alpha-0-1-release/

Can you post your RE4 config? I found that it was extremely annoying for me, mostly due to the 30FPS lock.

Crispy75

The sensors have the same mounting hole as the standard screwthread on the bottom of cameras. So anything that can hold a camera can hold a sensor, eg one of these on a bookshelf: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JKDMG96/?tag=neogaf0e-20

SomTervo

There's a standalone GTAV mod that doesn't use VorpX. http://rly.sexy/gta-vive-alpha-0-1-release/

Can you post your RE4 config? I found that it was extremely annoying for me, mostly due to the 30FPS lock.

Shit, that's brilliant, thanks man! Salty that I paid for VorpX, but hopefully it'll be good for something in the future. Now I've got to extricate all that junk from GTA V's folder...

Hmm, I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to pull together my Resi 4 settings, but if I do I'll make sure to let you know. IIRC we have to use the timewarp and soundwarp to smooth it out.

A fairly big beef is that you can usually see the 'limit' of the screen when you turn your head, but it depends on the area.

Also the game is very stressful in VR, haha. The music is almost unbearable when your whole vision is taken up with this grimy, disturbing environment and these life-size freaks are roaming around.

Crispy75

Congratulations. You're going to have an amazing time.

Apart from the bit where I didn't have enough cables to plug in my monitor and the vive, and had to use my wife's macbook to Remote Desktop into my PC, YOU WERE GODDAMN RIGHT.

However, I now regret mounting my TV on the wall. I gave it a gentle *bonk* through the chaperone bounds. Might have to erect a barrier of some kind :D

Vlaphor

Alright, got a few more questions about the sensors.

How much does height matter. In one corner of the room, I have a thing I can attach one of those camera mounts to that is about 6 ft tall (at least, that's where the mount will be). That should be fine right. Also, at the other end of the room, if I did use a shower curtain stretched all the way up and clamped another camera mount on that, on a carpeted floor, would vibrations be an issue?

Do the sensors need to be the same height?

Do they need to be at exactly opposite ends of the room?

Thanks again for the help/

Zalusithix

Alright, got a few more questions about the sensors.

How much does height matter. In one corner of the room, I have a thing I can attach one of those camera mounts to that is about 6 ft tall (at least, that's where the mount will be). That should be fine right. Also, at the other end of the room, if I did use a shower curtain stretched all the way up and clamped another camera mount on that, on a carpeted floor, would vibrations be an issue?

Do the sensors need to be the same height?

Do they need to be at exactly opposite ends of the room?

Thanks again for the help/

The lighthouses must be on opposite sides of the room to enable 360/roomscale tracking. It's how the occlusion problem is dealt with. (Your body can block the line of sight to a lighthouse when you're facing away from it.)

Height matters little for actual tracking. The devices could do the required triangulation with the lighthouses on the floor aimed up. Where the height matters is occlusion resistance, and more importantly, line of sight between the lighthouses. The lighthouses use an IR LED flash to sync their laser sweeps. For this to work, the slave lighthouse must see the master's flash and you don't want your body in the way of that or they'll desync. While the flash can bounce on white walls, it's best for the lighthouses to have line of sight to one another.

If the lighthouses can't be configured in a way where they have line of sight to each other, or they're too far away for the flash sync to be reliable, then you can use a cable to connect them. It's basically a super long aux audio cable that's packaged with the Vive. Obviously this is a bit of a hassle from a wiring perspective though, so it's best if you don't have to use it.

As for the vibrations... that would depend on the pole rigidity, tension between the carpet and ceiling, carpet padding, floor stability, and a bunch of other factors. Practically speaking it shouldn't be an issue in most use cases.

Ordering direct from HTC adds $50 to the already insane $800 cost... as an American is there anywhere I can order the Vive from for cheaper? Scan isn't available here I don't think.

However, I now regret mounting my TV on the wall. I gave it a gentle *bonk* through the chaperone bounds. Might have to erect a barrier of some kind :D

Rectangle rug on the ground that is roughly the same size as your bounds. Better if a tiny bit smaller. Creates a tactile 'edge' you can feel with your feet.

Unless your one of those brutes who wears their shoes at all times.

bomblord1

Banned
Ordering direct from HTC adds $50 to the already insane $800 cost... as an American is there anywhere I can order the Vive from for cheaper? Scan isn't available here I don't think.

I ordered mine from HTC and there was no additional $50 charge. What exactly are you being charged for? Unless you are referring to sales tax which is unavoidable if you live in a state that taxes online transactions.

I have two lightweight floor/ceiling poles used for DIY and a couple of people i know have bought a couple for their setups also. They are sturdy enough and as they are not tripods there's less footprint to be accidentally kicked by people and as a bonus they can fit behind furniture if required.

Wolfcraft Floor to Ceiling Prop but any similar product should do, there's no need for something "industrial" as the lighthouses aren't heavy at all. I use some camera clamps with some extra padding on the clamp to attach them to the poles.

Business

I went with tripods and I think it's a great solution given how flexible your room setup becomes, the convenience to take the Vive somewhere else for a day or the ease to put them away in your house.

Sky Chief

I posted this in the Palmer topic, but I figured I'd get some better replies here.

This entire episode with Luckey has been very disappointing. I've been a big Oculus fan for a while now, mostly because I believe they have the best (and most well funded) R&D in VR. If Palmer isn't going to resign over this shit, I might have to start looking at other companies, which sucks.

Does anybody know what Valve is doing these days? I don't think we've heard much out of them since the Vive release, have we? Are they working on future VR hardware? Are they working with HTC, or just by themselves? I have no idea how that works.

I guess the reason I'm more interested in their future stuff, is that I'd probably only be in the market for a Vive-like headset in about a year from now. I figure some 2nd gen hardware might be coming out by then?

Your belief is wrong, most of the tech that went into the CV1 was developed by Valve and shared with Oculus, this is common knowledge. When Oculus was bought by Facebook it caused a rift with Valve and then Oculus attempted to poach as much of Valve's VR R&D department as possible. They got a few members but the key people are still at Valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom