• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlaphor

I have two lightweight floor/ceiling poles used for DIY and a couple of people i know have bought a couple for their setups also. They are sturdy enough and as they are not tripods there's less footprint to be accidentally kicked by people and as a bonus they can fit behind furniture if required.

Wolfcraft Floor to Ceiling Prop but any similar product should do, there's no need for something "industrial" as the lighthouses aren't heavy at all. I use some camera clamps with some extra padding on the clamp to attach them to the poles.

I like those props, but I live in the USA, so I'll have to find something like that. Also, with my setup, I'll have to buy a pole, since a tripod wouldn't fit where I'd have to put it. Only one pole though.

Quick question, and it might be a bit of a silly one. My dimensions for use are around 9ft long by 6ft wide, but I could make that 7 1/2 ft wide if I did a bunch of furniture moving that would ultimately be a pain in the ass to do, but I could do it. My question is, how good of an experience will I have with a 9x6 walking space, and would it be worth it do some furniture rearranging for that extra 18 inches of width?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Question: If I switch to Sitting mode for Virtual Desktop or if I get a game like Project Cars or Elite Dangerous, do I have to redraw the boundaries when switching back to Room Scale?

Zalusithix

Question: If I switch to Sitting mode for Virtual Desktop or if I get a game like Project Cars or Elite Dangerous, do I have to redraw the boundaries when switching back to Room Scale?

You don't need to do any reconfiguration for seated games. I use seated games completely outside of my chaperone bounds just fine. Beyond that, there are applications that can save and load chaperone settings.

RurouniZel

You don't need to do any reconfiguration for seated games. I use seated games completely outside of my chaperone bounds just fine. Beyond that, there are applications that can save and load chaperone settings.

When I tried Virtual Desktop my chaperone boundaries were locked on; I had to exit/re-enter into VR for them to fade again. Any suggestions?

Zalusithix

When I tried Virtual Desktop my chaperone boundaries were locked on; I had to exit/re-enter into VR for them to fade again. Any suggestions?

Ah yes, the boundaries being visible - forgot about that. My chaperone settings are for no wall / floor always on at low opacity. Meanwhile my seated position is outside of the bounds facing away from them. I can see the border, but that requires turning my head more than I'd typically have to in a seated experience, and even then it's only down low.

If the boundaries are an issue, then you'll want to use something like Chaperone Switcher to manage your chaperone settings. Just save your roomscale layout, then setup for seated/standing and save that. Before you start up SteamVR, simply load the setting you want.

RurouniZel

Ah yes, the boundaries being visible - forgot about that. My chaperone settings are for no wall / floor always on at low opacity. Meanwhile my seated position is outside of the bounds facing away from them. I can see the border, but that requires turning my head more than I'd typically have to in a seated experience, and even then it's only down low.

If the boundaries are an issue, then you'll want to use something like Chaperone Switcher to manage your chaperone settings. Just save your roomscale layout, then setup for seated/standing and save that. Before you start up SteamVR, simply load the setting you want.

Ah okay, didn't know there were utilities for that. Thank you! :)

I like those props, but I live in the USA, so I'll have to find something like that. Also, with my setup, I'll have to buy a pole, since a tripod wouldn't fit where I'd have to put it. Only one pole though.

A quick look says that £14 is about $20 and i'm sure you can find an equivalent version over there somewhere. I certainly wouldn't go spending $120+ on one :) wow!

As for your roomscale question i can't say as i can only do seated or standing at the moment.

I can find Oculus Rift boxes in retail shops here in Germany... what's going on with Vive?

Will this ever be a thing with Vive or will this only be available in north America like that?

kinggroin

Banned
I have nothing really interesting to contribute other than, holy shit I love my Vive more than ever since going Intel.

Locked 90 in everything. Feels console-level polished. So good too that it's opened me up to some games I couldn't play properly before.

Damn it AMD. Work with Epic and Unity to get things smooth on your CPUs.

Zalusithix

Has anyone here played Obduction in VR? Is it good/worth it?

I haven't exactly followed the game closely, but last I checked the VR mode still wasn't released. Last news I see is from the end of August saying it'd be a "few" weeks, and nothing since then. Steam's page doesn't list any current VR support either.

RurouniZel

I haven't exactly followed the game closely, but last I checked the VR mode still wasn't released. Last news I see is from the end of August saying it'd be a "few" weeks, and nothing since then. Steam's page doesn't list any current VR support either.

Ah okay, thanks.

Zalusithix

Just as a FYI to anybody experiencing a decent amount of light leak from the nose area of the Vive and was wondering about the alternative ones available for order, I ordered one (pack of 3) from HTC and can confirm it blocks light significantly better than the that comes with the Vive.

The light leak didn't bother me enough to actually prompt me to order it, but I was already getting another set of face foam interfaces, so I figured why not. They should really include both types in the box like the foam (assuming they haven't already changed that for the new packing).

the TMO

Hi Gaf! We updated our game for a better experience!
You can find all the info on the update in the Devlog and here is a Teaser for the new enemy that you will face soon!

Full list of the change here

fc8e9e94f887068dcba6d1b54b5ca893e4609047.jpg

Have a nice punch!

^^ Sweet will hopefully check out the update today.

Audioshield actually got an update too:

NvdRdtO.png

• New skin: Horizon. A huge, open amphitheatre with a giant video stage.
    [*]Youtube streaming in all modes and skins
  • Youtube search
    [*]Streaming from soundcloud is no longer available
  • Added Elite difficulty with uppercuts
  • Added Casual difficulty, the most relaxed setting
  • Added video screens to the Stage Dive and Manifold skins (when streaming from Youtube)
Speculation is Soundcloud support is going to need to be dropped because of their merger with Spotify.

--------------

Also, another similar rhythm game is out today as well called Soundboxing.

3P8EBCE.jpg

• Designed for VR and the HTC Vive with Motion Tracked Controllers
  • Youtube video search
  • User generated beats and challenges!
  • Share your challenges with a web link, for your friends outside of VR and around the world
  • High score leaderboards keep track of whoever performs best
  • Play back your high scores with a robot marionette boxing match

^^ Sweet will hopefully check out the update today.

Audioshield actually got an update too...

Yeah, i saw the update in my downloads and it reminded me i have to plugin my Vive kit again after the power outages during the storm last week. I really enjoy AudioShield so i'll have a look at that Soundboxing too. Cheers for the heads-up!

Zalusithix

Audioshield getting updates again? There might be global warming, but apparently hell is freezing over. Had given up on the game getting any further support.

vermadas

HTC's Viveport store is going live in some regions

Last but not least, HTC also introduced Viveport Premieres, a program of timed exclusives for the Viveport. In other words, certain upcoming VR games will first launch on Viveport before being available anywhere else. While this may be an inconvenience for people who aren’t interested in getting involved with another digital games retailer, it’s a proven method of promoting all kinds of gaming services and consoles. The first Viveport Premieres title will be a remake of theBlu, a popular underwater adventure made by Wevr Inc.

Vlaphor

Got a couple more questions.

I just ordered a Vive off of Ebay (saved about $120 that way, plus the ebay bucks helps), but I totally didn't think about the free games. Will I still be able to get them when I add the Vive to my account? I asked the seller if he or she activated them yet, but I haven't got a response yet (just asked).

Just how heavy are the lighthouses? Mainly, could one be attached to the thing a curtain rod attaches to that's also attached to the wall. If so, it'd save me quite a bit of trouble and I wouldn't have to buy a pole.

cakefoo

There won't be Spotify support either I think because of how streaming works from there. Otherwise all of these games would have Spotify support.
Besides, Spotify does not have shit selection, unless you hate, like, every single major music artist ever.

Got a couple more questions.

I just ordered a Vive off of Ebay (saved about $120 that way, plus the ebay bucks helps), but I totally didn't think about the free games. Will I still be able to get them when I add the Vive to my account? I asked the seller if he or she activated them yet, but I haven't got a response yet (just asked).

Just how heavy are the lighthouses? Mainly, could one be attached to the thing a curtain rod attaches to that's also attached to the wall. If so, it'd save me quite a bit of trouble and I wouldn't have to buy a pole.
If they haven't activated them you can use their code. It's not tied to any account.

Lighthouses are probably about 1 pound each. As long as the mounting point doesn't wobble, you should be fine.

I can confirm that Soundboxing is legit. It's almost as fun making the beatmaps as it is playing them. If you've been looking for a decent VR rhythm game with user generated maps, this is the one.

Besides, Spotify does not have shit selection, unless you hate, like, every single major music artist ever.

Lol. You're not wrong.

Zalusithix

Well, hot damn. The new difficulty in Audioshield is nuts. Some of the songs that required fast movements before are crazy now. They can require movement times so fast and precise that any hesitation, misjudgment, or minor positioning error will cause misses. Frankly I'm not sure I can even move fast enough for some of the switch-overs now lol. Not only that, but the changes in orb chain approach make actually connecting with them harder. Vertical chains aside, even the sideways chains seem to have different approach vectors. It'll take a bit to retrain my muscle memory to handle the new sweeps. Suffice to say, with all the changes, finishing one of the more difficult songs in this new mode leaves me more fatigued than doing a half dozen songs in the previous "harder" difficulty.

I love it. Also kind of nice having a blank slate again for scoring.

What I don't love is the new stage. It's pretty, as is the new orb chain design, but there's nowhere near enough contrast for playing on the highest difficulty. It needs a nighttime version to be of any use for higher difficulties.

Edit: Unfortunately there's definitely collision issues (at least with the kite shields) and orb chains. Hard for me to pin down why exactly it happens, but it's just a tad annoying when it happens.

Onemic

Updated headset and controller firmware?

Forgot to replay to this, but ya everything is up to date. Ive also done a clean uninstall and re-installation of the current Nvidia drivers. I can get into SteamVR, but launching any VR game will result in the game crashing and me being sent back to the SteamVR hub.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Just saw that NVIDIA's VRWorks UE4 branch (4.12) has the Pascal VR features now:
https://developer.nvidia.com/vrwork...i-lens-matched-shading-and-single-pass-stereo

NVIDIA has released a new VRWorks-enabled branch of Unreal Engine, adding support for new Pascal VRWorks. With this branch, Unreal developers can now easily take advantage of features including Lens Matched Shading, Single Pass Stereo, VR SLI and Multi-res Shading.

Lens Matched Shading uses NVIDIA Pascal hardware features to improve upon Multi-Res Shading, ensuring frame buffer and display pixel rates are matched for optimum performance.

Single Pass Stereo, another Pascal exclusive, reduces geometry bandwidth by 50% resulting in useful performance improvements on CPU and GPU.

VR SLI lets developers take advantage of multi-GPU systems for peak performance

Hopefully it's not too hard for devs to add to existing projects.

Exuro

The miss effect in the audioshield update is pretty awful. I'm certain the double vision/scene shift is a bug, but even the scan line effect is annoying to see. I hope an option gets put in to disable it. It's hard to test the new expert mode with missing even once is causing motion sickness.

DemonNite

I just setup my dev kit yesterday and all is working great. However, was there suppose to be a software bundle included? or was that only for retail and not for dev kits?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Elite Dangerous is 33% off on Steam

Anyone tried blue effects and ahros one warrior chronicle?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Very nice, I particularly hope Raw Data is updated to make use of that.

I also hope all that stuff makes it to the main branch sooner rather than later, for dev convenience.

Here's hoping. I wasn't able to build that branch last night - some linking errors with nvapi functions. Might have been going about it the wrong way. Oh well, I have more to do before I'd really need to include that anyway.
Late edit: a commit was just added that fixed it.

E-flux

I have been trying to get my vive to work for 3 hours now, everything is showing green except i keep getting the 208 error and nothing i have tried has fixed it. Everything is connected right, i'm fairly sure that i'm running vive in Direct mode and also the extended thing on, i have restarted my pc way too many times when i have tried reinstalling the software after removing it but nothing seems to work..

Does anyone have any idea how to get rid of this?

Zalusithix

I have been trying to get my vive to work for 3 hours now, everything is showing green except i keep getting the 208 error and nothing i have tried has fixed it. Everything is connected right, i'm fairly sure that i'm running vive in Direct mode and also the extended thing on, i have restarted my pc way too many times when i have tried reinstalling the software after removing it but nothing seems to work..

Does anyone have any idea how to get rid of this?

Direct and extended modes are mutually exclusive. You want to be in direct mode. What are you hooking it up to anyhow, and how is it connected?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It happened to me once, I reinstalled Steam VR from within the software (there's an option for that IIRC). Also, unplug replug every cable you have, including those attached to the headset.

It worked for me.

E-flux

Direct and extended modes are mutually exclusive. You want to be in direct mode. What are you hooking it up to anyhow, and how is it connected?

Vive is connected to my GPU HDMI port and i'm using a DVI port for my screen at the moment, my pc isn't detecting any extra monitors when that vive box is plugged in. (orange to orange, and everything else into the back of the pc) Except the power cable of course. It just automatically tells me that my headset isn't connected 208 even though it's clearly getting power since it has that red light on.

Zalusithix

Vive is connected to my GPU HDMI port and i'm using a DVI port for my screen at the moment, my pc isn't detecting any extra monitors when that vive box is plugged in. (orange to orange, and everything else into the back of the pc) Except the power cable of course. It just automatically tells me that my headset isn't connected 208 even though it's clearly getting power since it has that red light on.

In direct mode it shouldn't show up as a monitor. In extended mode it should (not that I've ever had mine in that mode). Also, power, data, and video are all separate parts of the headset's connection, so a light could be on and still not be "connected" if the USB or HDMI cables are loose. I'd double check that they're fully seated on the headset side (the flap comes off).

I assume you've updated to the most recent drivers? Just out of curiosity, are you using an AMD or Nvidia GPU?

E-flux

In direct mode it shouldn't show up as a monitor. In extended mode it should (not that I've ever had mine in that mode). Also, power, data, and video are all separate parts of the headset's connection, so a light could be on and still not be "connected" if the USB or HDMI cables are loose. I'd double check that they're fully seated on the headset side (the flap comes off).

I assume you've updated to the most recent drivers? Just out of curiosity, are you using an AMD or Nvidia GPU?

Nvidia, everything should be up to date, and i'll google how to remove the flaps and get back to you.

Sky Chief

Compared to Soundcloud the selection is shit. Most of the music I listen to is on SoundCloud and I can either free download it from there or buy it in Bandcamp. Most of it never makes it to Spotify. SoundCloud has pretty much anything, at least for new music. You must just listen to really mainstream stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom