• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

Ooooohhh hardware prototypes. This is interesting:
Complementing the title and revenue growth, the adoption of SteamVR Tracking continues with over 300 licensees planning to incorporate the technology
I wonder how much of that is for consumers, and if we will see any announcements any time soon.

To add to this: There's an Advanced Settings Overlay that someone made that allows you to mess with this with a slider in headset. It adds an advanced settings bubble to the overlay the same way Revive does and has a bunch of other options as well such as extra chaperone settings and turning reprojection on and off.
Funnily enough, the guy who made this sits 2 meters behind me right now :p

Uses grip buttons instead of triggers, even though you don't need to use both at once - could just trigger near hip to holster. Reloading is really clunky when you're trying to do it quickly, and the motion has your hands close together, often bumping the heads into each other.
Hmm. I always play Saija so I obviously can't say anythign about that.

Evo X

Anyway, im curious: What good driving and flying games are there? I would love to try some out.

Thanks!

Driving in VR has mostly given me motion sickness. Maybe because I'm using a controller instead of a wheel, but it feels disorienting to be gping fast in a virtual car without any of its associated feedback.

For flying however, I can recommend Richie's Plank Experience. It has a mode where you fly around a city like Iron Man putting out fires. Fun mechanics and no motion sickness.

robinsxe

Driving in VR has mostly given me motion sickness. Maybe because I'm using a controller instead of a wheel, but it feels disorienting to be gping fast in a virtual car without any of its associated feedback.

For flying however, I can recommend Richie's Plank Experience. It has a mode where you fly around a city like Iron Man putting out fires. Fun mechanics and no motion sickness.

Will try, thanks!

Don't know about flying, but Project Cars and Live For Speed support Vive out of the box (the latter is getting a bit long in the tooth graphics wise, but the basic edition is free). Dirt Rally and Assetto Corsa work with the Revive plugin. Euro Truck Sim and American Truck Sim also support Vive, but they can be a bit rough around the edges. Then there is Distance, which isn't strictly a driving game, but there is a car on a track involved at least.

Dirt Rally seems fun, do you have any experience with it on the Vive and how it stacks up with the others? Thanks

SimplexPL

Every time I want to press it I have to look for it, despite the fact that I know it's there.

Someone previously mentioned that the button stopped launching SteamVR - it does for me, checked yesterday.

I have a pretty substantial amount of money coming my way when Hillary wins the election so I think I'm going to buy a Vive (after Nov 8 as to not jinx it, of course).

I'm worried that right after I buy it they will announce a revision since that always seems to happen when I buy new hardware. The talk on the previous page about upgrading just the headset while keeping the other stuff makes that easier to stomach though. Hopefully they go that route.

The main thing I want is a better way to mount the thing to my head. I love how the PS VR does it and want HTC to straight up copy it wholesale for the Vive. With the way the Vive headset is set up, is it possible for them to release a better head mount as a standalone that you could just replace yourself? Is this something a third party could do/is doing?

pj

Banned
I have a pretty substantial amount of money coming my way when Hillary wins the election so I think I'm going to buy a Vive (after Nov 8 as to not jinx it, of course).

I'm worried that right after I buy it they will announce a revision since that always seems to happen when I buy new hardware. The talk on the previous page about upgrading just the headset while keeping the other stuff makes that easier to stomach though. Hopefully they go that route.

The main thing I want is a better way to mount the thing to my head. I love how the PS VR does it and want HTC to straight up copy it wholesale for the Vive. With the way the Vive headset is set up, is it possible for them to release a better head mount as a standalone that you could just replace yourself? Is this something a third party could do/is doing?

There won't be a new headset any time soon and any changes to the headstrap can be applied to existing headsets. The mounting system is completely removable/replaceable. Nobody has announced a better one but we are all hoping it's in the works

There won't be a new headset any time soon and any changes to the headstrap can be applied to existing headsets. The mounting system is completely removable/replaceable. Nobody has announced a better one but we are all hoping it's in the works

Thanks, glad to hear a new mounting system is something more people want. From my limited experience with it, that seems like the weakest part of the headset.

My worry about a revision just comes from years of being a late adopter. I guess I wouldn't really be jumping in that late this time.

Durante

I think if nothing substantial comes out of the Steam Dev Days you are pretty safe on the revision front for a little while.

Of course, this is only by early adopter standards, where "safe" means "probably not in the next 6 months" ;)

Bigby

New controllers

CulfWThVUAAmbRm.jpg

The third over is obviously a refined version of what we have. The fourth I can't figure out.

Not sure what they plan on doing to the lighthouses themselves.

The fourth looks like something closer to Touch except it wraps around your hand so you can open it without dropping the controller. Interesting.

Tain

Guessing Valve's new controllers and base stations will not be HTC-manufactured.

also give us an optional analog stick

Went to try out the Vive at this thing called Game Over in Boston last night, I was fucking amazed. I tried the portal VR demo, Holy shit. I 2ant one so bad....

Nzyme32

The third over is obviously a refined version of what we have. The fourth I can't figure out.

Not sure what they plan on doing to the lighthouses themselves.

You can make grasp gestures with it apparently, and won't drop the controller when dropping virtual objects

Zalusithix

The fourth looks like something closer to Touch except it wraps around your hand so you can open it without dropping the controller. Interesting.

You can make grasp gestures with it apparently, and won't drop the controller when dropping virtual objects

Yeah, the hard part to figure out is the tracking though. The refined version of what we have has clearly visible sensors and the shape makes sense for tracking at any position. The other one though... I guess the part that wraps around the outside of the hand has the sensors, but that seems too easy to obscure.

Guessing Valve's new controllers and base stations will not be HTC-manufactured.

also give us an optional analog stick

That's a good thing. Allows Vive users to switch out controllers at will. Hopefully the lighthouses are forwards compatible though.

This new stuff sounds pretty cool! Especially those new controller prototypes. The fact that they're talking about updated controllers/lighthouses adds to the idea that you can upgrade piece by piece instead of having to plop down another $800 for a completely updated "Vive 2."

*eagerly awaits election results*

SimplexPL

I am having a big wall closet installed in the room where vive is, the front is from material called "lacobel" - apparently it's some kind of glass. Will this totally screw my tracking?

DSC_0451-%E2%80%94-kopia-2.jpg

I am having a big wall closet installed in the room where vive is, the front is from material called "lacobel" - apparently it's some kind of glass. Will this totally screw my tracking?

Probably not. In my experience it has to be fairly close to mirror quality. I have largish panes of glass nearby as well and has not been an issue.

Edit: hah well there you go. Two different takes so grain of salt and all.

Zalusithix

Highly likely. You'll probably want to hang a sheet on suction cups.

Probably not. In my experience it has to be fairly close to mirror quality. I have largish panes of glass nearby as well and has not been an issue.

Edit: hah well there you go. Two different takes so grain of salt and all.

Basically a matter of hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst. There's too many variables in play to be able to say with complete confidence one way or the other once reflective surfaces are in the equation.

Tain

Since I'm moving soon I ordered those support rods and clip mounts suggested by the OP for my VR setup at my new place. In my current place I have the base stations mounted in the wall, but I like the idea of not doing that.

Are the support rods still a good way to mount these things? Anybody try them out and wind up unhappy with them?

Since I'm moving soon I ordered those support rods and clip mounts suggested by the OP for my VR setup at my new place. In my current place I have the base stations mounted in the wall, but I like the idea of not doing that.

Are the support rods still a good way to mount these things? Anybody try them out and wind up unhappy with them?

The shower/curtain rod looking things? Yeah, I use them. Been rock solid. The clamps in particular have some nice lock-ins for making the grip crazy tight.

Just to be clear, I'm using these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0052JOH3K/?tag=neogaf0e-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0114OF7TY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Tain

The shower/curtain rod looking things? Yeah, I use them. Been rock solid. The clamps in particular have some nice lock-ins for making the grip crazy tight.

Just to be clear, I'm using these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0052JOH3K/?tag=neogaf0e-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0114OF7TY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Awesome, thanks. I'm using the same clamps but these instead as the rods: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CRDD6Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Seems awfully similar, I'm sure it'll be fine.

Vlaphor

Not related to my previous post, but I kinda want to mention what happened to me today in VR. I was playing some Job Simulator when I kneeled down to get something, then grabbed on a shelf to prop myself back up...only the shelf didn't actually exist and I fell over. Luckily, I didn't hit anything, but I did land kinda weird and I then decided that I had played enough VR for now.

Durante

Not related to my previous post, but I kinda want to mention what happened to me today in VR. I was playing some Job Simulator when I kneeled down to get something, then grabbed on a shelf to prop myself back up...only the shelf didn't actually exist and I fell over. Luckily, I didn't hit anything, but I did land kinda weird and I then decided that I had played enough VR for now.
I've tried multiple times to place the controllers down on a VR object.

Even something like one of the surfaces in Water Bears VR, which really isn't a "realistic" environment.

I've had a couple of those moments, like when I was playing QuiVr and suddenly found myself on the edge of a tower, triggering my brain's "OH GOD WE'RE DYING" response.

It won't happen that soon. You need both cheap screens and enough powerful computer out there to support rendering 4k at 90 fps in VR.

Cheap is relative. If they manage to make a 4k 90+ fps screen for 250$ alone, i would bite.

as for the fps, we have lots of tools to achieve that (AST and ASW for oculus)

I've tried multiple times to place the controllers down on a VR object.

Even something like one of the surfaces in Water Bears VR, which really isn't a "realistic" environment.

I've had a couple of those moments, like when I was playing QuiVr and suddenly found myself on the edge of a tower, triggering my brain's "OH GOD WE'RE DYING" response.

I kept hearing about moments like these before I bought my Vive, but it has literally never happened to me and I'm kind of disappointed. :(

Makai

I will say that I prefer H3VR's handgun reloading (with auto-orientation and clipping) to Raw Data's. Since everything is manual in H3VR, the reload speed is 100% dependent on the user. Raw Data has some of it automated and ends up being slower. Then again, Raw Data is going for the semi-RPG route where you can upgrade skills, and allow for things like dual wielding reloads. Trade-offs had to be made. Still doesn't change the fact that I prefer H3VR for pure reloading.
Best reloading I've done is London Heist, and the controllers are smaller so it's harder to clack the controllers together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom