• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makai

Assuming you're using sticky mode, I can't see why the grip buttons would be a problem. Perhaps it's a hand shape/size thing, but I've never found the grip buttons hard to press or anything.
Grip buttons are uncomfortable as the primary interaction button, especially if I'm supposed to hold it down. Job Simulator stapler is the best input for guns - Trigger to hold the item, trackpad to fire. Of course, I see the benefit in having a grip button separate from the fire button that resembles a real gun, and I'm assuming the Oculus controllers have better grip buttons

kinggroin

Banned
MASSIVE UPDATE (including performance improvements and new playable character)

http://steamcommunity.com/games/436320/announcements/detail/963034136879955372

PERFORMANCE/STABILITY

As we continue to refine our performance benchmarks and machine configurations, please note that your graphics settings will be automatically reset with this update.

Main Menu - In game UI has been significantly optimized to minimize CPU load
Controller Latency - Motion controller update has been implemented to minimize hand-tracked latency. If you bring up the SteamVR compositor and move your hands, you should now see negligible delay between the SteamVR controller model and your avatar hands.
Matchfinding - Optimization to Matchfinding avatars to reduce CPU load.
Interaction Overlaps - Player interaction overlaps have been refactored to improve CPU performance.
Animation Logic - Player and AI animation logic have been adjusted for CPU performance.
Visual Optimizations - Various FX and material optimizations for GPU performance.
Stability - Various crash and stability improvements across the board.

I kept hearing about moments like these before I bought my Vive, but it has literally never happened to me and I'm kind of disappointed. :(

They're VERY few and far between for me. It's only when I've been playing for a while and am really comfortable, it's like my brain will just for an instant forget it's fake. I've yet to feel any lasting "presence".

They're VERY few and far between for me. It's only when I've been playing for a while and am really comfortable, it's like my brain will just for an instant forget it's fake. I've yet to feel any lasting "presence".

Fwiw, I do feel presence, in pretty much any roomscale game (although some much more than others).

But I've also never forgotten that I can move through objects. It's like my brain just accepted the fact that in this fake universe, objects are insubstantial.

Fwiw, I do feel presence, in pretty much any roomscale game (although some much more than others).

But I've also never forgotten that I can move through objects. It's like my brain just accepted the fact that in this fake universe, objects are insubstantial.

Isn't it crazy? Like, the ridiculousness of the environment or the absurdity of the art style have no baring on your brain's acceptance of it as "real". We're living in the future.

Isn't it crazy? Like, the ridiculousness of the environment or the absurdity of the art style have no baring on your brain's acceptance of it as "real". We're living in the future.

...well, as I said, some much more than others, and I do think it depends largely on the art style.

The Lab and especially Budget Cuts feel much more immersive than everything else, for some reason I can't quite suss out. In The Lab I think it might just be due to image quality, but I have no idea why Budget Cuts in particular feels so real.

Arulan

I just tried the Valve office in Destinations. It was great. I liked the
alarms that go off when you try and walk through a closed door.

Do most of you have the breakout box on the floor, or on your desk? I currently have it on my desk, but I'm wondering if the former would help against cable being a nuisance.

Found this quote from Steam DB's liveblog:

"Valve will not be making announcements about content they're working on for VR at SDD this year, but says people won't be disappointed when they do hear what Valve is working on sometime next year."

They announced that they are going to announce software next year. Guess that's the closes we'll ever get to HL3 confirmed.

Jokes aside though, it's nice that Valve are at least talking about content, but I think the fact that it is more than a year out from launch is a bit disappointing.

cakefoo

I just tried the Valve office in Destinations. It was great. I liked the
alarms that go off when you try and walk through a closed door.

Do most of you have the breakout box on the floor, or on your desk? I currently have it on my desk, but I'm wondering if the former would help against cable being a nuisance.
Floor. The higher your breakout box, the more cable length you waste getting it to floor level.

I have just enough space between the desk leg and my pc to allow the cable to run between them, with the breakout box behind the leg so the cables running to the breakout box will pop straight out if tugged.

cakefoo

Panoptic is an asymmetrical local multiplayer VR game, between an HTC Vive player, and a regular PC player. The Vive player controls the powerful Overseer, while the PC player controls the Challenger, a citizen rebelling against the Overseer's oppressive reign, and seeks to destroy it. The Challenger must try to avoid the Overseer's scorching gaze, and to do so, they must often hide in plain sight among the other citizens.

Video is fun to watch, two Youtubers doing a let's play.

The demo is coming to Steam, but you can get it off the developer's site now.

rFGJSac.jpg

elyetis

Also, another similar rhythm game is out today as well called Soundboxing.
After a couple hours on it, I can really say that while Soundboxing didn't look as appealing as Audioshield, it quickly proved more enjoyable. Even if not every shared beatmap ( If that's the name ) is perfect, it definitely feel far more like a rythme game than Audioshield.

pj

Banned
...well, as I said, some much more than others, and I do think it depends largely on the art style.

The Lab and especially Budget Cuts feel much more immersive than everything else, for some reason I can't quite suss out. In The Lab I think it might just be due to image quality, but I have no idea why Budget Cuts in particular feels so real.

I think it's because of what you're doing with your body. Crouching down to open a safe, bending over to look through a vent, slowly peeking your head around corners.

I think it's because of what you're doing with your body. Crouching down to open a safe, bending over to look through a vent, slowly peeking your head around corners.

I think there's that, and the really great way they implemented teleportation—but there's more too.

From the first moment that the black screen faded out to reveal a hallway—even before I teleported for the first time—I was instantly blown away by just how real the hallway felt. A couple of other people I talked to had similar impressions.

jaypah

I think there's that, and the really great way they implemented teleportation—but there's more too.

From the first moment that the black screen faded out to reveal a hallway—even before I teleported for the first time—I was instantly blown away by just how real the hallway felt. A couple of other people I talked to had similar impressions.

You know what? You're absolutely right. What the hell is that about?

Agreed, Budget Cuts is by far the greatest feeling of presence I've had. It's the game that takes the most advantage of full 360 tracking and is super tense so you don't really have a chance to notice anything that might be immersion breaking where it's slower paced. Full game can't come soon enough.

collige

Banned
MASSIVE UPDATE (including performance improvements and new playable character)

http://steamcommunity.com/games/436320/announcements/detail/963034136879955372

Controller Latency - Motion controller update has been implemented to minimize hand-tracked latency. If you bring up the SteamVR compositor and move your hands, you should now see negligible delay between the SteamVR controller model and your avatar hands.
FUCKING FINALLY! THE GAME IS ACTUALLY PLAYABLE!

And everyone told me that there was no controller lag in the game.

Durante

I don't know why anyone would claim that. It's one of the reasons the game is (/was) so incredibly hard to run -- not only is it really high-end graphically, you couldn't even really fall back on reprojection since then the controller lag got significant (at 90 FPS it still felt good to me).

Zalusithix

I don't know why anyone would claim that. It's one of the reasons the game is (/was) so incredibly hard to run -- not only is it really high-end graphically, you couldn't even really fall back on reprojection since then the controller lag got significant (at 90 FPS it still felt good to me).

Screw the controller lag, the damn ghosting artifacts from anything animating while reprojecting kills any game using tracked controllers. Your hands are always animating. Drives me nuts. 90 native or bust.

Budget Cuts looks so realistic because they nailed the lighting. It has that very soft, natural ambient occlusion look going.

Has there been any word on Budget Cuts recently? Feels like there hasn't been any updates on it since launch, it's still easily one of the best things in VR and I really just want a full game at this point.

Is there a list of games dropping today for PSVR with plans to come to Steam/Vive? I know Thumper dev said they are working on it. Anything else?

Durante

So I should definitely get Raw Data now, yes? I think I've held off long enough.
Absolutely. The only reason I could see not to buy it for now is if you are on a lower-end (or even mid-end) GPU and planning to upgrade in the not-too-distant future. In such a case you should probably wait, as has been mentioned a lot it is a very demanding game.

E-flux

Did they change how double grip works in raw data in the latest patch? Holding that sword in two hands now feels absolutely horrible, it seems like the direction of your blade depends now on both of your controllers and not just your main hand, plus i'm a leftie and i can't take out the sword anymore from behind my left shoulder.

I also tried multiplayer for the first time, is it just me or is it super janky? From animations to what seemed like latency even though we had under 50 ping, everything seemed to happen a bit later than it was supposed to before we both crashed to desktop. I honestly would recommend Raw data for 40 euros, 20€? Absolutely but 40 is a bit too much in my mind.

Durante

Hmm, I'll have to give the double grip a try.

As for co-op / multiplayer, I have been playing in that exclusively since launch and it works quite well for us now. The character animations are very much off, that's absolutely true, but that's more an issue of limited tracking points. I can't say I've seen the online latency issues you describe, but we are physically quite close.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So, I just tried Raw Data for the first time.

Holy Christ.

How did yall not make a bigger deal out of this game? Feels like a killer app in development. The graphics are ridiculously good, but made my rig cry out in sadness. I cranked up the settings (mainly resolution) to max just to get a gimps of how good it can look. I was going to hold off on a 1080 until the Ti, but this gave me an urge. The gameplay is spot on, I was ducking, dodging, shooting over my shoulder, etc. They immersion level was high, and I was sweating from the intensity of it by the end of my first mission.

Bought it seconds later. Kind of feel bad I didn't bite at full price.Can't wait to see what future updates hold for this. Really impressed.

Side bar, are there any really scary experiences out there yet for Vive? I feel like this is an itch that would have been scratched by a ton of games by now?

How is Edge of Nowhere?

Durante

So, I just tried Raw Data for the first time.

Holy Christ.

How did yall not make a bigger deal out of this game?
Feels like a killer app in development.

The graphics are ridiculously good, but made my rig cry out in sadness. I cranked up the settings (mainly resolution) to max just to get a gimps of how good it can look. I was going to hold off on a 1080 until the Ti, but this gave me an urge.

The gameplay is spot on, I was ducking, dodging, shooting over my shoulder, etc. They immersion level was high, and I was sweating from the intensity of it by the end of my first mission.

Bought it seconds later. Kind of feel bad I didn't bite at full price.

Can't wait to see what future updates hold for this. Really impressed.
I'm doing my best :p

E-flux

Hmm, I'll have to give the double grip a try.

As for co-op / multiplayer, I have been playing in that exclusively since launch and it works quite well for us now. The character animations are very much off, that's absolutely true, but that's more an issue of limited tracking points. I can't say I've seen the online latency issues you describe, but we are physically quite close.

We had all sorts of problems connecting to each other before we got into a match so it might have been just some server troubles at that moment and since we both decided to go to sleep after the crash we didn't get to try out if the problems would persist. That two handing change though, i'm sure that they changed how it works, now it feels almost like swinging the two handed axe in vanishing realms, which is not easy or fun. I also don't think that the new sword trail effect doesn't looks that good and it seems to activate every time i swing.

I need to get over my unease of having virtual characters invade my personal space, because it is the main thing that makes Raw Data (and Holopoint for that matter) hard for me to play over longer sessions.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I'm doing my best :p

Really is pretty fantastic. Going to be really something once I upgrade and can really run games like this, Elite Dangerous etc at top tier in VR.

Super sampling the image makes such a difference with this game, Elite, and Pool VR.

Durante

I need to get over my unease of having virtual characters invade my personal space, because it is the main thing that makes Raw Data (and Holopoint for that matter) hard for me to play over longer sessions.
It does always freak me out a bit to spawn inside another person, but not enough to turn me off the game.

It helps to play with someone you know rather than a stranger, at least for someone prone to social anxiety like me.

Really is pretty fantastic. Going to be really something once I upgrade and can really run games like this, Elite Dangerous etc at top tier in VR.
Unless they really come across some incredible optimizations, "top tier" for Raw Data will need something like a 1280 :p

Durante

Being that I have a 970, am I going to have a gimped VR experience being at minimum specs? I do have an i7 though.
Like with normal games, it really depends greatly on the specific game in question.

There are many games (the vast majority I'd estimate) that work (close to) perfectly on a 970, but for some (like Raw Data) you'll have to make significant IQ compromises.

SomTervo

Side bar, are there any really scary experiences out there yet for Vive? I feel like this is an itch that would have been scratched by a ton of games by now?

How is Edge of Nowhere?

A Chair In A Room freaked me the fuck out.

And The Solus Project has its moments. The VR implementation isn't perfect but people seem to get past it after about half an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom