• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tain

So, I just tried Raw Data for the first time.

Holy Christ.

How did yall not make a bigger deal out of this game? Feels like a killer app in development.

The "in development" part is the main hangup for me. I'm mostly waiting for release.

How is Edge of Nowhere?

It's pretty good if you're into the genre. It's not particularly scary, though.

Durante

How do Raw Data and Elite run with a 1070? I hope I'm not going to regret not getting a 1080.
The difference between a 1070 and a 1080 is probably a 0.1 or 0.2 at most factor in rendering resolution scale. Noticeable if you directly compare, but hardly a dealbreaker.

Qassim

So I haven't ever really given Raw Data that much time for various reason that weren't even its own fault, but the added friction of the weird performance issues I kept getting put me off playing it.

So started playing it again properly recently and just right now got done with a mission based in the very big multi-level room with the reactors and stuff, and it was amazing! The mobility, the turret defence, the different types of enemies, the moment-to-moment acts of working together to take down a particular imminent threat.

This is a killer app for VR, co-op is enhances it so much. We had been focusing a bit too much on other parts of the map and suddenly realised one of those big fuckin' giant robot things was about to start its attack on the data core thing.

We simultaneously teleported right in front of it, enabled bullet storm, slow motion kicked in, we unloaded everything we had into it and it blew up in an instant. The action, the visuals, and the element of working together made it so, so cool - never had a feeling like that in any game ever. We just looked at each other for a moment afterwards before going back off our separate ways to check on different lanes the enemies would come from.

So, so cool.

I haven't played Raw Data since 0.2 (iirc) because I really want to wait for it to fully release before a really delve in, but I wasn't particularly impressed. The first mission was good, but then in the second and third, having to defend that core was super annoying.

The production values are clearly super high, which was great to see, but I wish they were used on a more interesting game. And for all of that massive budget, I didn't feel a particularly great sense of presence compared to The Lab or Budget Cuts.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
For those who don't have Raw Data yet.

eGlm8sT.jpg

I'm downloading now.

"The production values are clearly super high, which was great to see, but I wish they were used on a more interesting game. And for all of that massive budget, I didn't feel a particularly great sense of presence compared to The Lab or Budget Cuts."

Precisely this from my demo. The base act of manipulating weapons, while awesome, isn't enough to carry the game. The enemies are uninteresting, mechanically, compared to any half-way decent action game. The wave-based mission design isn't interesting, either. After 30 minutes of swinging/throwing the sword around, I was pretty much done.

Nibiru

Banned
Got my Vive a few days ago and all the set up went well which was a relief. Downloaded a bunch of free stuff but I also bought Space Pirate Trainer and that was very very cool. Then I saw that Raw Data was free for the weekend and well that game is just nuts I was using cover and I don't even know it was ridiculous. I was a sweaty mess after playing and I'm a pretty fit dude. So ya I'm keeping the Vive:)

Panoptic is an asymmetrical local multiplayer VR game, between an HTC Vive player, and a regular PC player. The Vive player controls the powerful Overseer, while the PC player controls the Challenger, a citizen rebelling against the Overseer's oppressive reign, and seeks to destroy it. The Challenger must try to avoid the Overseer's scorching gaze, and to do so, they must often hide in plain sight among the other citizens.

Video is fun to watch, two Youtubers doing a let's play.

The demo is coming to Steam, but you can get it off the developer's site now.

rFGJSac.jpg

This is a really fun concept.

Durante

So I haven't ever really given Raw Data that much time for various reason that weren't even its own fault, but the added friction of the weird performance issues I kept getting put me off playing it.

So started playing it again properly recently and just right now got done with a mission based in the very big multi-level room with the reactors and stuff, and it was amazing! The mobility, the turret defence, the different types of enemies, the moment-to-moment acts of working together to take down a particular imminent threat.

This is a killer app for VR, co-op is enhances it so much. We had been focusing a bit too much on other parts of the map and suddenly realised one of those big fuckin' giant robot things was about to start its attack on the data core thing.

We simultaneously teleported right in front of it, enabled bullet storm, slow motion kicked in, we unloaded everything we had into it and it blew up in an instant. The action, the visuals, and the element of working together made it so, so cool - never had a feeling like that in any game ever. We just looked at each other for a moment afterwards before going back off our separate ways to check on different lanes the enemies would come from.

So, so cool.
I'm happy that more people are finally giving Raw Data a serious look.

Especially with the more varied and physically larger recent missions, new enemy types/gameplay elements and full set of character skills. It has become one of the most interesting combinations of high-quality content, fully immersive controls, and in-depth gameplay currently available.

And easily the best VR coop game I've played.

In looking at the Op the FAQ says....

Q: Can you play VR games from the Rift on VIVE?
A: No not as of yet. Hopefully this will be resolved in the future.

Is that still the case? I thought that changed?

I'm asking because I had my first VR experience with PSVR the other day and am pretty sold on VR. I have a beefy PC and am evaluating whether to just jump into the Vive

Makai

I'm asking because I had my first VR experience with PSVR the other day and am pretty sold on VR. I have a beefy PC and am evaluating whether to just jump into the Vive
Yes. Walking around in VR is even cooler.

Paganmoon

With Revive, you can play (most) Rift games on the Vive. It's even got Touch emulation, not sure how well touch emulation works though. Personally I'm not using it, so I can't say much about how well it functions overall, but it seems to be very popular.

What kind of settings do y'all use in Raw Data? I'm running a 980ti, but I'm having trouble dialing it in to my satisfaction.

Is the FOV-based rendering worth using?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
What kind of settings do y'all use in Raw Data? I'm running a 980ti, but I'm having trouble dialing it in to my satisfaction.

Is the FOV-based rendering worth using?

FoV based rendering? Wait is that an option? I didn't think that had been actually implemented in anything yet...?

FoV based rendering? Wait is that an option? I didn't think that had been actually implemented in anything yet...?
There is a setting called multi-res level, which renders the edges at at lower resolution than the center.
I'm really impressed by their plans. I'm also excited that they are finally getting some good art assets in there.
Me too! Good art direction goes a long way for VR games.

So my first VR experience was yesterday with PSVR. And knowing I have a PC with a 1080 in it I skipped right through that and into a Vive (found a flawless open box for $680 at Microcenter).

Holy shit is all I have to say.

I just played a round of Raw Data. I know I'm months late to the party but I'm utterly blown away.

Ducking under cover and shooting with precision was amazing.

Zalusithix

So my first VR experience was yesterday with PSVR. And knowing I have a PC with a 1080 in it I skipped right through that and into a Vive (found a flawless open box for $680 at Microcenter).

Holy shit is all I have to say.

I just played a round of Raw Data. I know I'm months late to the party but I'm utterly blown away.

Ducking under cover and shooting with precision was amazing.

It's kind of amusing how people trying out PSVR is going to probably lead to more PCVR sales than all us PCVR early adopter folks talking about it. VR - especially VR with tracked controllers - is one of those things you need to experience to really appreciate. You can talk until you're blue in the face, but you can't truly convey what it's like to those that have never tried it. PSVR gives the opportunity for more to try it. It's a cut down experience, but gives enough of a taste of what's possible.

Anyhow, make sure you pick up all the free stuff to try out:
  • Budget Cuts (demo)
  • The Lab
  • QuiVR (alpha)
  • Rec Room
  • Altspace
  • Waltz of the Wizard
  • Gnomes & Goblins (preview)
  • Nvidia VR Funhouse
  • The FOO Show (VR talk show)
  • Destinations (VR sight seeing)
  • INVASION (animation)
  • Allumette (animation)
I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but that's enough to get you started.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Man, Raw Data is a ton of fun. Glad it's up for a free weekend. Frankly, really surprising to see a Vive game up for a free weekend. It's fantastic.

I only got an hour with Raw Data but it was fun. I don't know if I'd want the full game however. I'd need more time to decide but the free weekend is ending way too early (and I found out about it way too late). At 15 bucks I'd have bought it with no hesitation, but at 30 or higher I really need to know it's something I'm going to enjoy the whole way through.

I died a LOT and was getting really tired after a few phases. That's the first level. If the whole game is like that or gets even harder I don't see myself enjoying it. Oh well. I guess I'll have to wait for the Steam Sale or the next free weekend.

On the plus side the controls are fantastic and grabbing your gun and extra magazines from the hip is really great.

SomTervo

"The production values are clearly super high, which was great to see, but I wish they were used on a more interesting game. And for all of that massive budget, I didn't feel a particularly great sense of presence compared to The Lab or Budget Cuts."

Precisely this from my demo. The base act of manipulating weapons, while awesome, isn't enough to carry the game. The enemies are uninteresting, mechanically, compared to any half-way decent action game. The wave-based mission design isn't interesting, either. After 30 minutes of swinging/throwing the sword around, I was pretty much done.

Recent updates and new levels have added more depth to the base enemies and added several more enemy types. It's getting more interesting than it was a couple of months back.

PS IIRC the game was also originally balanced around Bishop (the pistol guy) so playing as sword lady was overly hard and awkward.

I only got an hour with Raw Data but it was fun. I don't know if I'd want the full game however. I'd need more time to decide but the free weekend is ending way too early (and I found out about it way too late). At 15 bucks I'd have bought it with no hesitation, but at 30 or higher I really need to know it's something I'm going to enjoy the whole way through.

I died a LOT and was getting really tired after a few phases. That's the first level. If the whole game is like that or gets even harder I don't see myself enjoying it. Oh well. I guess I'll have to wait for the Steam Sale or the next free weekend.

On the plus side the controls are fantastic and grabbing your gun and extra magazines from the hip is really great.

You unlock abilities for your character that make it easier as you progress. It gets a lot easier (at least until it starts throwing bonafide armies at you).

I didn't enjoy my first couple of sessions with it that much because reloading was a pain and doing it all by myself was hard and too intense. Fast forward a couple more sessions and I'm having a whale: there's an auto-reload ability which makes it satisfying and the game gives you a 'Defence turret placement' mechanic which instantly makes it more addictive and compelling. That strategic edge makes a big difference. Plus the co-op is amazing.

You unlock abilities for your character that make it easier as you progress. It gets a lot easier (at least until it starts throwing bonafide armies at you).

I didn't enjoy my first couple of sessions with it that much because reloading was a pain and doing it all by myself was hard and too intense. Fast forward a couple more sessions and I'm having a whale: there's an auto-reload ability which makes it satisfying and the game gives you a 'Defence turret placement' mechanic which instantly makes it more addictive and compelling. That strategic edge makes a big difference. Plus the co-op is amazing.

Hmmm... co-op sounds really compelling. My buddy has a Vive, I'll see if he has this or any interest in this. Co-op anything multiplies the fun, I'm sure co-oping this game would be well worth the price. Thanks for the info!

Paganmoon

Tested out Raw Data for the first time, quite fun, not sure I'd spend 30-40 euros on it though. And holy shit at the aliasing, was almost enough to get me to quit the game right from the get go. Found the scale slider though, and it was so much better. They should really have defaults at dialed down effects and such and increased resolution scale, as the default one is just horrendes.

Also would like to see more hand gestures (this is something I really would want to see more devs implement in multiplayer games).

I finished A Chair in a Room. It's a great horror game, I'm really impressed. Horror movies don't really scare me these days, but there is a genuine dread in having to, say, turn on a lighter in a pitch black room knowing there's someone or something in there with you.

The game experiments with how to direct your focus and make you turn your back and I think it's largely successful in that regard. I encourage any horror fan to play it, but it's not for the faint of heart.

I really need to convince my grandmother to let me set up my Vive again. It looks like I'll be living with her for the foreseeable future, because rent in NYC is really, really expensive. <_<

The last time she saw my lighthouses, she seemed... uncomfortable... with the way I'd hung them from the pipes on the ceiling. She didn't actually ask me to get rid of them, but I took the hint.

SomTervo

I finished A Chair in a Room. It's a great horror game, I'm really impressed. Horror movies don't really scare me these days, but there is a genuine dread in having to, say, turn on a lighter in a pitch black room knowing there's someone or something in there with you.

The game experiments with how to direct your focus and make you turn your back and I think it's largely successful in that regard. I encourage any horror fan to play it, but it's not for the faint of heart.

I'm still on the fourth or fifth part...

Can't progress too scared call help

Hmmm... co-op sounds really compelling. My buddy has a Vive, I'll see if he has this or any interest in this. Co-op anything multiplies the fun, I'm sure co-oping this game would be well worth the price. Thanks for the info!

I literally just pulled the headset off after two hours' coop. It is fucking great in co-op. The latest level really starts mixing shit up, too, you'll be laughing away with your buddy.

Just remember you have to unlock the game's most useful abilities. It's pretty compelling once you start getting into the grind.

Man, my face, though. Achey.

Bio-Frost

Just got done playing "The art of fight" for 4 hours. Damned amazing once you get used to its controls. You "grab" the air and pull. Their is no speed cap so fake run with your arms as fast as you can.

You can also climb on any flat surface you can reach. So this means jumping through windows and snipers climbing to get good view of the map.

It is steep at $30 but assuming the dev keeps with updates im very happy with this game.

I leave with a story, I ran up to the defence area where the attacking team had brought their objective. I run in with no ammo and only a knife, with two people shooting at me.

I run between pillars zig zagging as fast as i can and run up and stab one of them. Took his gun and shot the other guy then hopped out the window. I have never felt so cool.

https://youtu.be/X3tAGn3fh4s

Played Vive today, first experience with VR. I played Job Simulator and HordeZ and had an amazing time with both of them. I didn't feel bad during any of it aside from moments in HordeZ where the camera goes on rails and moves for you while you're physically standing still.

Despite feeling great the whole time, after I left and took my car ride home, I started to become nauseous, and have actually maintained a bit of nausea for the last several hours. This happen with anyone else the first time they played it?

Helznicht

For those who don't have Raw Data yet.
I'm downloading now.

Tried it this week-end. Those of you with GTX970's need not bother, all the fancy effects are lost in the low res pixel soup you have to set this at, to get it smooth.

Just got done playing "The art of fight" for 4 hours. Damned amazing once you get used to its controls. You "grab" the air and pull. Their is no speed cap so fake run with your arms as fast as you can.
You can also climb on any flat surface you can reach. So this means jumping through windows and snipers climbing to get good view of the map.
It is steep at $30 but assuming the dev keeps with updates im very happy with this game.
I leave with a story, I ran up to the defence area where the attacking team had brought their objective. I run in with no ammo and only a knife, with two people shooting at me.
I run between pillars zig zagging as fast as i can and run up and stab one of them. Took his gun and shot the other guy then hopped out the window. I have never felt so cool.
https://youtu.be/X3tAGn3fh4s

Can you describe the movement system a bit more? I know its arm swinging (and I am a fan) but do you have to hold any buttons while doing it? Can you walk (swing) with one arm and aim with the other?

Bio-Frost

Tried it this week-end. Those of you with GTX970's need not bother, all the fancy effects are lost in the low res pixel soup you have to set this at, to get it smooth.

Can you describe the movement system a bit more? I know its arm swinging (and I am a fan) but do you have to hold any buttons while doing it? Can you walk (swing) with one arm and aim with the other?
Yup. You hold the menu button so you can totally one hand it just fine(and recommended)

Oh forgot to say its buying system is similar to counter strikes. Winning team keeps everything, losing team has to rebuy. Except the buying stations never go away, and you can totally sneak to the other teams and use someone elses money to buy guns and ammo.

Cartman86

Banned
Played Vive today, first experience with VR. I played Job Simulator and HordeZ and had an amazing time with both of them. I didn't feel bad during any of it aside from moments in HordeZ where the camera goes on rails and moves for you while you're physically standing still.

Despite feeling great the whole time, after I left and took my car ride home, I started to become nauseous, and have actually maintained a bit of nausea for the last several hours. This happen with anyone else the first time they played it?

If I become nauseated it can stay for about an hour. If a game has artificial movement I just don't play it because of this. Tried to get used to it and I can't. Wish Valve implemented some information the store to devs to indicate if they break these rules. I imagine Valve isn't doing that because they would prefer if devs just didn't break any "rules". Right now though I just have to do a bit of research on Reddit or something to find out.

Zalusithix

Nausea can be delayed and linger. While it hasn't happened to me, others have reported nausea that lasts for hours after the initial onset. My guess (and only a guess) is that you managed to distract yourself from the discomfort you experienced in HordeZ, and it wasn't until your mind wound down on the ride back that the nausea really set in.

There's a reason why we generally don't recommend first timers to play games that include artificial locomotion. Roomscale and teleportation only while getting used to VR. Then slowly introduce games with artificial locomotion, and stop whenever you feel bad. Persevering through the parts that make you uncomfortable will just make things worse.

If I become nauseated it can stay for about an hour. If a game has artificial movement I just don't play it because of this. Tried to get used to it and I can't. Wish Valve implemented some information the store to devs to indicate if they break these rules. I imagine Valve isn't doing that because they would prefer if devs just didn't break any "rules".

Oculus has "comfort" ratings for all the games on its store. I have no idea why Valve doesn't have this.

Cartman86

Banned
Oculus has "comfort" ratings for all the games on its store. I have no idea why Valve doesn't have this.

Do we have any details on how they do this yet? Is it Oculus that rates them? Do they have a group of people who just rate games, or does the developer provide the details when they submit to the Store? I imagine Valve will never do this themselves is my guess, so they would have to trust devs or even hope the community deals with it?

Zalusithix

Because Steam isn't a walled garden where every game needs to be personally vetted by Valve to get on the store. The best they could do is provide a means for users to rate it.

Do we have any details on how they do this yet? Is it Oculus that rates them?

Yes, I'm pretty sure Oculus rates them. But...

Because Steam isn't a walled garden where every game needs to be personally vetted by Valve to get on the store. The best they could do is provide a means for users to rate it.

...you could easily ask developers to supply the "comfort" level. Valve could provide guidelines on what generally constitutes a certain rating.

It is in a developer's best interests to make sure their users don't get sick, so I suspect the vast majority of games would be rated honestly. Valve could have a report button for the remaining 10%, or just let them get creamed in reviews.

I don't see this being any different from minimum play area requirements.

Zalusithix

Yes, I'm pretty sure Oculus rates them. But...

...you could easily ask developers to supply the "comfort" level. Valve could provide guidelines on what generally constitutes a certain rating.

It's in the developer's best interests to make sure no one gets sick from playing their game, so I suspect the vast majority of games would be rated honestly. Valve could have a report button for the remaining 10%, or just let them get creamed in reviews.

Devs aren't the best source for such things. This isn't to say that the devs are trying to deceive others, but they've been making the game. If it was uncomfortable to them, they wouldn't have made it through development in the first place. Thus they'd have to rely on the input of people that haven't been there making the game since day one. At that point, you're more or less back to letting the users rate it.

Samaritan

So I've been out of the Vive game for the last couple of months. Have I missed any major new games in that time? Seems like there's quite a bit of new stuff on the store, but I haven't had the time to sift through all of it to see what's worthwhile.

Devs aren't the best source for such things. This isn't to say that the devs are trying to deceive others, but they've been making the game. If it was uncomfortable to them, they wouldn't have made it through development in the first place. Thus they'd have to rely on the input of people that haven't been there making the game since day one. At that point, you're more or less back to letting the users rate it.

I'm not sure we'll come to a definitive agreement on this, since there's no way to prove a theoretical scenario. That said, I disagree because (1) A good developer will have their game playtested by lots of people, and perhaps more importantly (2) Valve could provide guidelines. Does your game use have any artificial movement? If it does, is it always really slow or sometimes very fast?

I suspect that Oculus is already using these types of super simple guidelines in their comfort ratings. Take a look at their catalog. Henry, Oculus Dreamdeck, and KTANE are "comfortable" because there's literally no artificial movement whatsoever. Lucky's Tale is "moderate" because there's some very slow, gradual camera movement. Eve Valkyrie is "intense" because you're piloting a freaking spaceship.

FSLink

Banned

Easily could just do a separate Dev rating based off some sort of guideline provided by Valve and a community rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom